Community MetaSteam | February 2019 - The Frontier of the Hyper-Toxic Pro-Consumer Computer Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
FunktionJCB said Fight'N Rage is great. None of the others look up my alley though.
Month was worth it for the Early Unlocks alone however.
It feels like the Monthlies are getting increasingly frontloaded recently. Which I don't mind, because I base my decision around the Early Unlocks alone anyway.
(Assuming the leak is true).
Yeah the early unlocks are interesting. Might still get it just for those.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Devotion is getting review bombed by Chinese players. From 95% to 40%.

It had a winnie the pooh joke (since removed)

edit: apparently some other things too, articles been updated

Article of the whole thing
Wow, that's quite a read. Interesting how opinion shifted so quickly on this, seems like a lot of Chinese players either buy the whole propaganda, or do so out of fear of reprisal ( I assume when you grow up on Chinese version of the net, with social credits and everything, you just train yourself to always appear like a good little party soldier ) .

Either way, pretty dumb from the Devs, I assume they are from the Republic of China (Taiwan)?

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Yeah, getting others leftovers is good way to save some extra. Let others carry risk of randomness.
I have been able to obtain like 99% of games in monthlies that I wanted while paying less than <25%.
Well, also some games I didn't really want... but were cheap.

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

If anyone doesn't own the games already, there's actually some pretty good games in the upcoming listed unlocks.

Like I mentioned, Fight'N Rage is a lot of fun, especially for fans of the genre. It's a very solid classic 2D beat'em up, with combo systems that in some cases could have been taken from a proper fighting game. It has branching stages, plenty of unlocks (characters, costumes, modes, ...), it's a rare recent highlight in the genre.

Then, there's Late Shift. I know not everyone enjoys FMV games, but this is essentially an enjoyable, well acted, interactive movie, with a good amount of branching and choices (and not making a choice is actually a choice in this game). I really enjoyed my time with it, and I've been meaning to play it again.

I should have something to say about Slipstream, since I backed it on kickstarter, but embarrassingly I haven't played the final game yet. :giggle:
The demo was enjoyable, though. It's a game that's inspired by the original Outrun, with similar gameplay.

Since this is yet another month where I own almost everything in the monthly bundle, Paradigm is the biggest attraction for me, since I wanted to buy it for some time now. In fact, the only reason I don't own it yet is because I accidently left it out of my shopping cart during my final purchase on the last Steam Winter Sale.
It's a classic point & click adventure game, with a bit of surreal humour. It has received many positive reviews.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Looks like Steam is changing how Free to Keep promotions work and as a result SteamDB now leaks start and end times

It's this one

basepackage. I guess this refers to paid package it is based on for whatever reason.
disabletradingcards. This seems self explanatory. No more trading cards. (This was leaked earlier from translations server, I think).
freepromotion. Guess this is just to make leaks easier to find?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Looks like Steam is changing how Free to Keep promotions work and as a result SteamDB now leaks start and end times

It's this one

basepackage. I guess this refers to paid package it is based on for whatever reason.
disabletradingcards. This seems self explanatory. No more trading cards. (This was leaked earlier from translations server, I think).
freepromotion. Guess this is just to make leaks easier to find?
nice of them to make our lives easier ;)

praise Gaben!

:wd_praise:
Post automatically merged:

Community - The Slow Demise of Denuvo (Progress Report)

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Incredible just how much all this EGS stuff has soured me on the unreal engine. I've always had it installed and always thought I would learn to use it, since I believe it to become huge part of the photographic world in the future but meh.

Reactions: sauce and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Incredible just how much all this EGS stuff has soured me on the unreal engine. I've always had it installed and always thought I would learn to use it, since I believe it to become huge part of the photographic world in the future but meh.
i know, right?

Reactions: Le Pertti

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Breh I've been soured on UE3 since the PS3, seeing textures loading as you play a game makes me go
:steam_pig_deadpan:+:sf_flusm:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
His circular logic for moneyhat almost made me dizzy:

And obviously not surprising:

So enjoy the moneyhats while it lasts and hope you don't piss off your customer base too much in the meantime.

Can Epic go back to calling all of PC gamers pirates and go away again? Please?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah, at this point i'd rather they just did that ... seriously, fuck 'em for doing what they did in a way they decided to do it

Reactions: Digoman

Deleted member 113

Screw them, and the developers/publishers who took this road, at the expense of their customers.
Don't get worked up over them, Digoman, they are not worth it. :)
And don't give them your time and money.

All this is giving them is free publicity.

Meanwhile, there's so many great games and developers worth supporting (has anyone looked at how many great looking games are coming out next month? It's insane!) that keep struggling to get this sort of attention.

Reactions: Digoman and lashman

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Screw them, and the developers/publishers who took this road, at the expense of their customers.
Don't get worked up over them, Digoman, they are not worth it. :)
And don't give them your time and money.

All this is giving them is free publicity.

Meanwhile, there's so many great games and developers worth supporting (has anyone looked at how many great looking games are coming out next month? It's insane!) that keep struggling to get this sort of attention.
At this point I'm more annoyed than worked up, but part of that is because just as a lot of people I have huge backlog to lessen the immediate impact. The "annoying" part for me is that some of these games are exactly the type of games that I like to support (single player experiences like Metro for example), but obviously will not buy them on the Epic store. I will admit though that some of the hypocrisy gets on my nerves.

As for the attention... it's complicated. You are right that there are a lot of developers deserving of this attention, but on the other hand it is important subject that needed to be addressed (and part of the reason I leave my "lurker ways" to post about it).

But.. it is Saturday and as mentioned I do have a backlog to dive in. But first to try a little more of of the Battletech free trial to see if it is too complex for me or not.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Anyone remember the Dotemu store? They'd sell DRM-free installers of games (least I think they're drm-free), that shut down years ago. Epic Game Store is looking like it could meet a similar fate >_>;

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Anyone remember the Dotemu store? They'd sell DRM-free installers of games (least I think they're drm-free), that shut down years ago. Epic Game Store is looking like it could meet a similar fate >_>;
yeah, it's like i've been saying - at the first sign of trouble - they're fucking GONE!

and not just because they're epic ... mostly because they're publicly traded ... the give precisely zero fucks about regular people (or even devs) ... the moment shit goes down and they stop making money hand over fist and shareholders start getting nervous - they'll close that shit down ... and people will be screwed

Deleted member 113

At this point I'm more annoyed than worked up, but part of that is because just as a lot of people I have huge backlog to lessen the immediate impact. The "annoying" part for me is that some of these games are exactly the type of games that I like to support (single player experiences like Metro for example), but obviously will not buy them on the Epic store. I will admit though that some of the hypocrisy gets on my nerves.

As for the attention... it's complicated. You are right that there are a lot of developers deserving of this attention, but on the other hand it is important subject that needed to be addressed (and part of the reason I leave my "lurker ways" to post about it).

But.. it is Saturday and as mentioned I do have a backlog to dive in. But first to try a little more of of the Battletech free trial to see if it is too complex for me or not.
That's the spirit: less Tim Sweeney idiocy from twitter, more gaming. ;)

When I mentioned giving them attention, and not getting worked up, part of what I meant was that while some of these developers choose to do this, at the expense of their customers preferences or convenience, there are others that keep releasing their games everywhere they can, keep adding free content updates, free soundtrack DLCs, and try to cultivate a good relation with their customers.
I prefer to reward and highlight the good ones, and ignore the "bad" ones.

Like you, some of the developers who are releasing their games as timed-exclusives are teams whose games I bought and tried to support in the past, and some of these games are right up my alley, and were ones I was really looking forward to (I'll give you the example of Operencia, a game that is right up my alley, and that I even beta tested).
But, support is a two-way street. Especially since all this EGS talk has made it clear that apparently some of these teams see their customers as the enemy, silly as it may be. Yeah, I don't get it either. :unsure:

So, why should I keep following these teams on social media, or keep checking their games, when they apparently aren't interested in me, as a customer?
And why should I look forward to eventually be allowed the chance to buy their games on Steam a year or two from now, almost as if I should be thankful they are allowing me to buy their games on my platform of choice a year or so after it first launched?
Yeah, I have all these teams on ignore, unsubscribed to their newsletters, and I choose not to care about their products any longer.

I have Tim Sweeney blocked on twitter, since I was getting more stupid by the minute when someone I followed liked or re-tweeted his musings.
I though I was safe from that, but you guys keep posting his tweets here! :p

Deleted member 113

Nah, it's fine. ;)
I mean, how else would I discover that developers will now be able to fund new and better games, because they are now receiving more money, sooner?
I mean, how did Team Meat survive up until now? :sneaky:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Nah, it's fine. ;)
I mean, how else would I discover that developers will now be able to fund new and better games, because they are now receiving more money, sooner?
I mean, how did Team Meat survive up until now? :sneaky:
I was also going to say I'm sorry (and that lashman did it first of course :) ), but will try to keep at a minimum in any case, but *that* tweet was really something else.

You are absolutely right of course, specially about the developers that for some reason started seeing the customers as the enemy. We will see what happens in an year.

And now.. to gaming, or more precisely trying to understand all the numbers in Battletech.

Last edited:

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Devotion is getting review bombed by Chinese players. From 95% to 40%.

It had a winnie the pooh joke (since removed)

edit: apparently some other things too, articles been updated

Article of the whole thing
I've defended review bombing in the past, and will continue to do so. But I'm also going to give a nuclear hot-take here:

When a platform, whether it be social media, gaming or what have you, opens itself up to China, the Chinese users should be quarantined into their own area. There is no reason to force the rest of the moderately sane, moderately free world to have to deal with their brainwashed citizenry.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Personally I'm kind of annoyed at Sweeney and co.'s obvious mental gymnastics and hypocrisy, but at the same time it also makes me somewhat happy because I don't believe they will last long with that attitude.

Anyways, as y'all already said, it's not like their aren't thousands of great games already out and still coming out.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
What do you think the epic and discord store will be like 3-5 years from now?

1. Steam 2.0
2. A halfway decent storefront.
3. Existing, but mostly irrelevant apart from exclusive first party games like Origin.
4. Dead and buried like GFWL.
5. It will exist but be relevant for different reasons (gamestreaming/gamepass etc.)

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018

1. Steam 2.0
3. Existing, but mostly irrelevant apart from exclusive first party games like Origin.
5. It will exist but be relevant for different reasons (gamestreaming/gamepass etc.)
Seems likely to be either 3 or 4, IMO.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

1. Steam 2.0
unless epic is planning on doing more games and those games are extremely successful - it'll be 4 ... they're a publicly owned corporation ... when fortnite dies, and they have no more huge-ass games to prop their store up with, they'll be gone at the first sign of financial trouble ... shareholders couldn't give less of a fuck about making sure people can access the stuff they bought years down the line

if they keep making games - probably 3

Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Yeah I gotta agree with Lashman here. I think because Epic has shareholders to answer to, the moment the store shows signs of dragging and pulling them down rather than up they'll have to answer for that. That's a lot of pressure and I think eventually, if the exclusives don't start working out for them, they'll have to give it up or severely pare it back.

Discord is the real interesting one. They seem so laid back about... Well everything lol. And the features are kinda voted on by users, they don't really seem to be in a rush or hurting for money. I don't know if they have shareholders, but they are immensely popular and I'm sure Nitro subs are making them a pretty penny every month...

Edit: I know too little about the business world to make an educated post so I'll abstain instead lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wok and lashman

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Isn't Epic a private company?

Anyway, debating if I should give Resident Evil Remake HD another chance and play it with a guide although I hate fixed cameras or finally start Dragon Quest XI since I finally installed the music mod today.

Reactions: Wok and lashman

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Oh it's true, Epic is private. That's weird. How come other corporations like Tencent "own" X amount of Epic then?

Business stuff like that is confusing to me. o_O

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018

1. Steam 2.0

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Almost the entirety of the EGS's future at this point rests on what happens with Fortnite. If they can keep sustaining the game and find ways to beat off newcomers like Apex, and find a way to convert their players into EGS users, they could be around for a long time. Even if they're not a hit.

But as of yet, there doesn't seem to be any proof that they've figured out the latter, and they need to react to the former still.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Almost the entirety of the EGS's future at this point rests on what happens with Fortnite. If they can keep sustaining the game and find ways to beat off newcomers like Apex, and find a way to convert their players into EGS users, they could be around for a long time. Even if they're not a hit.

But as of yet, there doesn't seem to be any proof that they've figured out the latter, and they need to react to the former still.
... especially since they're still unwilling to tell anyone what the platform split is for the fortnite playerbase

so i can only assume PC is very low on that list, behind mobile and consoles

otherwise they'd be advertising left and right just how many potential PC customers their store has ... no?

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
... especially since they're still unwilling to tell anyone what the platform split is for the fortnite playerbase

so i can only assume PC is very low on that list, behind mobile and consoles

otherwise they'd be advertising left and right just how many potential PC customers their store has ... no?
The data we’re never going to get are:

1. platform split
  2. demographics
In terms of split, it seems like the console and mobile base is huge. And those users would theoretically be almost irrelevant in terms of conversion.

And in terms of demographics, there are all kinds of things I’d like to know.
  1. How many of their MAUs are Fortnite only gamers? This has to be a Dota, LoL, WoW type situation where a significant portion of the playerbase only regularly plays Fortnite right? The game is inherently designed to suck as much time from you as possible.
  2. What percent of their playerbase is actually regularly monetized? What’s the breakdown of minnows, dolphins and whales? How many players have spent less than $20 (roughly the price of one cosmetic and a Battlepass that gets you enough currency to buy them indefinitely).
  3. What’s the gender breakdown? Annecdotal evidence would be that it’s heavily young male, but maybe that differs on more mobile platforms especially.
  4. What’s the age breakdown? Specifically, how many accounts are used by someone under 18 (therefore under parental guidance and likely without their own credit card)? Anecdotal evidence again would suggest that number is exceptionally high in Fortnite. I’ve experienced squeakers in every online game, even “mature” ones like Rainbow 6, but never to the extent that I have in Fortnite.
Everything would seem to suggest that Fortnite’s players would be hard to monetize.

But maybe they’ll surprise me. I dunno.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018

1. Steam 2.0
They deserve 4, but will probably get 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.