Community MetaSteam | February 2019 - The Frontier of the Hyper-Toxic Pro-Consumer Computer Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Whats a calming but re-playable game to play before bed to wind yea down?

I can't go to bed after being immersed in something that is either action or intense.

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

I only noticed today that I can choose to ignore developers/publishers on Steam, if they have a community page.
I really have to start exploring the options on Steam a bit more. :giggle:

That will come in handy, so I can place developers/publishers who released games as EGS exclusives, who I don't wish to support, on my ignore list.
Developer Storm In a Teacup had the honour of being the first to go on my ignore list, since their upcoming game Close to the Sun was announced as another exclusive.

I'm hoping when the new Steam re-design finally appears, it starts promoting news, updates, and new releases from the developers that I follow, or whose games I previously bought, while not displaying the titles, genres and developers who I previously marked to ignore.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Developer Storm In a Teacup had the honour of being the first to go on my ignore list, since their upcoming game Close to the Sun was announced as another exclusive.
Seems Epic is going after all favored indie games. At this rate, they will have more than 50 exclusives at the end of the year. I guess their goal is to make it very hard to go around EGS the next few years. Yet that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

Deleted member 113

Seems Epic is going after all favored indie games. At this rate, they will have more than 50 exclusives at the end of the year. I guess their goal is to make it very hard to go around EGS the next few years. Yet that's exactly what I'm gonna do.
They can try all they want, I really won't have any problem avoiding them. ;)
With the long list of awesome games I own that I'm yet to play (embarrassingly, something I have entire series that I'm yet to play), and games I want to revisit (for example, playing HITMAN 2 has put me in the mood to revisit the previous entries), I have enough games to keep me busy for the rest of my life.

And I keep adding to my backlog, because I like supporting smaller developers, and developers whose previous games I really enjoyed.

---

In other news, Octahedron has been updated to "Octahedron: Transfixed Edition", and now includes the content that was added for the Switch release.

Reactions: lashman and Echoes

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Well, my initial very positive impressions on Crosscode have changed. The first ten or so quests I received were MMO-style borefests. Kill X if this, gather Y of that. If anyone has played it, does it get better?

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
They can try all they want, I really won't have any problem avoiding them. ;)
With the long list of awesome games I own that I'm yet to play (embarrassingly, something I have entire series that I'm yet to play), and games I want to revisit (for example, playing HITMAN 2 has put me in the mood to revisit the previous entries), I have enough games to keep me busy for the rest of my life.

And I keep adding to my backlog, because I like supporting smaller developers, and developers whose previous games I really enjoyed.

---

In other news, Octahedron has been updated to "Octahedron: Transfixed Edition", and now includes the content that was added for the Switch release.

Octahedron is really good, give it a try while it's on sale. The soundtrack and the art design is excellent ;)

Deleted member 113

I want unironically thank Epic for giving more time on my backlog.
I won't go as far as to thank them, since I don't think what they did was positive to the PC as a platform in any way.

But, it totally made me stop and take a look at my backlog, and I own countless well regarded games, games I'm yet to play (like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, BioShock Infinite, The Evil Within 1 & 2, Prey, Dishonored 2, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, Pillars of Eternity 2, Divinity: Original Sin 2, and many, and I do mean many more), so I felt it would be a complete waste of money to support companies with appalling practices, even when some of these titles launch on Steam in a year, when I have so many unplayed games that are most likely far superior to these games that choose to make their titles exclusive, or timed-exclusive, to the EGS.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I know deals have been in the making quite awhile, but why would indies how a with epic exclusive right now knowing how much people dislike such moves? They have to know they will get tons of bad pr.
But Steam is the cancer that is killing the good indie developers by burying their games under asset flips and non-games.
Has to be true, because Sergiey has been telling so for the past few years on each and every dev convention he attended.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
I only noticed today that I can choose to ignore developers/publishers on Steam, if they have a community page.
I really have to start exploring the options on Steam a bit more. :giggle:

That will come in handy, so I can place developers/publishers who released games as EGS exclusives, who I don't wish to support, on my ignore list.

I'm hoping when the new Steam re-design finally appears, it starts promoting news, updates, and new releases from the developers that I follow, or whose games I previously bought, while not displaying the titles, genres and developers who I previously marked to ignore.
I've been using the ignore feature for a while now and I started using it on most developers/publishers that have EGS exclusives. It's a nice feature to have.

Deleted member 113

Out today:

The original game was a lot of fun.
A reminder: those who own the original Devil's Dare got a free copy of this new version for free. (y)

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
haha sorry

i think their explanation is gonna be a much better one than mine, i personally found
it to be sort of majima's coping mechanism with not having been able to escape the yakuza underworld with makoto. he never explicitly says he wants out or anything, but you can tell he loves her and it's pretty clear that being with her would be incompatible with being a yakuza, since you know, yakuza are bad people and all. and i think he's inspired by nishitani to adopt that super crazy persona and kind of honoring him in some way?
Yeah that sounds like it. Thanks for sharing your insight :smiling-eyes:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I know deals have been in the making quite awhile, but why would indies how a with epic exclusive right now knowing how much people dislike such moves? They have to know they will get tons of bad pr.
Epic pays them lots of money for these exclusivity deals. And most of these indies will still release their games on Steam after a year.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Epic pays them lots of money for these exclusivity deals. And most of these indies will still release their games on Steam after a year.
question is - will people still be willing to buy those games a year from now? and i'm not even talking about people refusing to buy because of the exclusivity ... but just "not caring" ... or having other new games to play a year from now ... games that will actually advertise themselves at the time ... not "a year ago" (obviously talking about indies ... i'm sure everyone will know what Metro Exodus is a year from now)

because, for example, i can 100% guarantee you i won't remember about that Bioshock-Tesla game a year from now

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
question is - will people still be willing to buy those games a year from now? and i'm not even talking about people refusing to buy because of the exclusivity ... but just "not caring" ... or having other new games to play a year from now ... games that will actually advertise themselves at the time ... not "a year ago" (obviously talking about indies ... i'm sure everyone will know what Metro Exodus is a year from now)

because, for example, i can 100% guarantee you i won't remember about that Bioshock-Tesla game a year from now
I believe Rise of the Tomb Raider ended up selling okay, even though it had that exclusivity deal with MS.

The issue for these indies is actually exactly what they've been complaining about. AAA games can "afford" to sign exclusivity deals because of the internal marketing power they have, so coming late to a platform isn't necessarily a big deal. You even typically see the new platform offered some special incentives like a GOTY, all-inclusive type edition.

Even though the indies that have signed with Epic are the "bigger" ones, how are they going to ensure that they rise above the market if/when they do come to Steam?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Even though the indies that have signed with Epic are the "bigger" ones, how are they going to ensure that they rise above the market if/when they do come to Steam?
exactly ... 'cause like a year from now they might not have enough money for another marketing campaign ... and "oh, by the way, we're on steam now as well" is hardly going to sell copies ...

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
exactly ... 'cause like a year from now they might not have enough money for another marketing campaign ... and "oh, by the way, we're on steam now as well" is hardly going to sell copies ...
Well... they aren't exactly doing a lot more than that these days (not they they can do much in the first place), but yes, they are throwing away the little bit of the "news cycle" they have when releasing the game.

Those that had steam store pages before the exclusivity deal can probably still get some sales based on wishlists by offering good discounts, but if the Epic Store isn't successful they will be returning to Steam in a very disadvantageous position, not to mention having burned a lot of goodwill.

I have mentioned before that I can't really blame too much the indie developers because I'd imagine it is a really tempting deal and I don't know what I would do in the same position, but one thing that would concern me is the long term prospects specially on PC where games sales have a long tail, And that goes for the big buys too. Even if "Rise of the Tomb Raider" sold ok, the fact that Square made another studio complete the trilogy probably shows that it didn't have a lot of confidence on the third installment.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Well... they aren't exactly doing a lot more than that these days (not they they can do much in the first place), but yes, they are throwing away the little bit of the "news cycle" they have when releasing the game.

Those that had steam store pages before the exclusivity deal can probably still get some sales based on wishlists by offering good discounts, but if the Epic Store isn't successful they will be returning to Steam in a very disadvantageous position, not to mention having burned a lot of goodwill.

I have mentioned before that I can't really blame too much the indie developers because I'd imagine it is a really tempting deal and I don't know what I would do in the same position, but one thing that would concern me is the long term prospects specially on PC where games sales have a long tail, And that goes for the big buys too. Even if "Rise of the Tomb Raider" sold ok, the fact that Square made another studio complete the trilogy probably shows that it didn't have a lot of confidence on the third installment.
yeah ... who knows what will happen ... guess we'll find out a year from now :p

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
The last fight in Thronebreaker is no joke holy shit. I've actually gotten close to winning a few times but his leader abilities are such unfair horseshit that it usually grants him the win while I have to pass due to running out of cards to play. EVERY TURN he gets to pit a random card of yours and his against each other and if his has more HP he gets a +10 on one of his cards in play. Then if one of his cards gets destroyed another one from his deck plays automatically, so you have to do this really tricky balancing act of whittling his cards down without destroying them. Very hard to do if you use row effects like fire which you can't control (but at the same time fire is essential almost for damaging his cards consistently as they all have a lot of armor and/or HP). Of course he has 2 cards that allow him to draw 3 more (each) that are always in his hand because they're trinkets. so that just makes outlasting him even more difficult.

I'm pretty much at my wits end with his nonsense. It's very hard to win against all those cheap abilities.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
The last fight in Thronebreaker is no joke holy shit. I've actually gotten close to winning a few times but his leader abilities are such unfair horseshit that it usually grants him the win while I have to pass due to running out of cards to play. EVERY TURN he gets to pit a random card of yours and his against each other and if his has more HP he gets a +10 on one of his cards in play. Then if one of his cards gets destroyed another one from his deck plays automatically, so you have to do this really tricky balancing act of whittling his cards down without destroying them. Very hard to do if you use row effects like fire which you can't control (but at the same time fire is essential almost for damaging his cards consistently as they all have a lot of armor and/or HP). Of course he has 2 cards that allow him to draw 3 more (each) that are always in his hand because they're trinkets. so that just makes outlasting him even more difficult.

I'm pretty much at my wits end with his nonsense. It's very hard to win against all those cheap abilities.
I think I ended up using some fire stuff along with a bunch of trebuchets and other machines that I could trigger over and over.

Reactions: Wok and lashman

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Devotion is getting review bombed by Chinese players. From 95% to 40%.

It had a winnie the pooh joke (since removed)

edit: apparently some other things too, articles been updated

Article of the whole thing

Last edited:

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
It was 95% positive yeah and game was removed from sale in China, where it was most popular (and refunds are being given by steam)

And publisher information got removed from Steam page, guess they don't want to be associated with game.

Seems like they fucked up hard.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Oh yeah, that reminds me when Discord tried similar shit but with 90 day exclusives. I forgot what games were supposed to come to Steam later on because I removed them from my wishlist.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Don't know any of those games, so a bad month ?
FunktionJCB said Fight'N Rage is great. None of the others look up my alley though.
Month was worth it for the Early Unlocks alone however.
It feels like the Monthlies are getting increasingly frontloaded recently. Which I don't mind, because I base my decision around the Early Unlocks alone anyway.
(Assuming the leak is true).

Status
Not open for further replies.