Community MetaSteam | February 2020 - Marching Towards Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Do you guys think skipping right to Ys 8 is a good idea? After playing through Chronicles, Napishtim and Felghana back to back I kinda want to play a modern Ys for a change. But only if it doesn't spoil me too much because I still want to play Origin, Seven and Celceta eventually and will probably get them when they're on sale.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Do you guys think skipping right to Ys 8 is a good idea? After playing through Chronicles, Napishtim and Felghana back to back I kinda want to play a modern Ys for a change. But only if it doesn't spoil me too much because I still want to play Origin, Seven and Celceta eventually and will probably get them when they're on sale.
I'm not gonna lie, it'd be real hard to go back to Celceta and especially 7 after what I've played from 8. The gap is far wider than I could've imagined, and this is coming from someone who played Origin and Oath before Ark. As much as I enjoyed Celceta and to a slightly lesser extent, 7, the level of improvements 8's made can't be understated enough.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Speaking of Ys VIII, I am not sure if other remember but there was this thing where NISA was selling a PC CE of that game (the same CE that was made for PS4 and PS Vita, the N/S "CE" was different and didn't have a lot of the stuff that those versions had and was thus cheaper). What ever happened with that CE? I can't recall if it was just a Steam key or if it was an actual disc, seeing how the game was also on GOG (DRM free). Did they eventually end up shipping out those CEs for PC and it was just a Steam key? If that was the case and with the new update then there should be no issues with the game, but what if the game was only on the disc? (Also for what ever reason I keep thinking that if you bought YS VIII from Humble Bundle that you would get both a Steam key and a DRM free option) I bet that would suck in regards to being able to update the game, I have Hollow Knight DRM free on disc, the issue with that is that there doesn't seem to be a way to update that disc version, luckily for me that it also came with a Steam key as well.

Well at least things are a lot better now.

So will XSEED/NISA (and PQube) ever get Falcom to let them sell the OSTs of their games on places like Steam?

Also what ever happened to Uppers? I think that game come out in 2016 for the PS Vita in Japan, it never released for the Vita outside of Japan, even in Japan the game did not seem to sell that well. Then in 2018 Marvelous EU said that Uppers was coming to the west for PC and PS4. I think it was suggested that it would come out at the end of 2018 and it is now the beginning of 2020 and still no news about the game

I played a bit of it on Vita and it is pretty decent.

Reactions: freshVeggie

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Played and (sort of) finished Jydge over the weekend, it's a great semi-hidden gem. Sort of like Hotline Miami + Diablo 3 skill system (in the form of weapon loudout and cybernetic choices) + Judge Dredd setting. Each level has 4 difficulties and each difficulty changes the layout of enemies, the objectives, and tweaks things. Much like Hotline Miami 1 it's psuedo-puzzle-like in that you're trying to figure out the best way to complete a specific objective while also fulfilling the main goal of each level. There is technically a story but it's basically just an arcade game, so keep that in mind - it's all about customization, tweaking, and figuring out ways to do a specific thing (although since it's not designed as a puzzle game, there's usually multiple ways to succeed).
Thanks for the impressions, that one has been on my wishlist for a while (primarily due to local coop support).

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
8 makes 7 and Celceta pretty much obsolete, even if I do like the characters in those games. They're not very good to be honest, and far worse than the "old ones".
And why haven't you played Origin yet, it's the best one!

-
Also I've started Pathfinder Kingmaker, and good grief, just reading the options available for ONE class takes a while. No biggie there's only SEVENTY ONE of them available.

Reactions: lazerfox

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Yeah the OST is amazing.
Speaking of, any chance of replacing the content of steamapps\common\Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana\bgm\ with something bit higher, quality wise? ~120 kbit OGG-Vorbus are pretty much on par with Vita/PS4 144 kbit Atrac9s (and whatever Switch uses).
If we can enjoy high framerate + best IQ on PCs, why not add some delicious, tasty OGG-FLACs?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Speaking of, any chance of replacing the content of steamapps\common\Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana\bgm\ with something bit higher, quality wise? ~120 kbit OGG-Vorbus are pretty much on par with Vita/PS4 144 kbit Atrac9s (and whatever Switch uses).
If we can enjoy high framerate + best IQ on PCs, why not add some delicious, tasty OGG-FLACs?
We planned to do that, but it turned out to be impossible to get uncompressed sources. (The OST versions of the songs are slightly different regarding e.g. looping)

There is a mod for it though (based on the CD versions, so slightly different).

Reactions: Knurek

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
I'm not gonna lie, it'd be real hard to go back to Celceta and especially 7 after what I've played from 8. The gap is far wider than I could've imagined, and this is coming from someone who played Origin and Oath before Ark. As much as I enjoyed Celceta and to a slightly lesser extent, 7, the level of improvements 8's made can't be understated enough.
8 makes 7 and Celceta pretty much obsolete, even if I do like the characters in those games. They're not very good to be honest, and far worse than the "old ones".
And why haven't you played Origin yet, it's the best one!

-
Also I've started Pathfinder Kingmaker, and good grief, just reading the options available for ONE class takes a while. No biggie there's only SEVENTY ONE of them available.
Alright thank you! Looks like I'll have to play Origin first followed by Ys 8. Already thought Napishtim and Felghana were great so looking forward to see where it can improve upon them.

If I still haven't had my fill after that whole Ys marathon I might give Ys Seven a shot later down the line.

Reactions: DeejayDoom

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
Also missing cool costumes. :( One of the very few times I've actually had to pirate something because it isn't for sale (pirating pirate costumes heh, a modded exe that can load the JP Vita DLC files).

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I must say, as much as it pains me, that Ys Celceta, while solid as fuck in its core, is also quite boring to me.

Gameplay is great (boss aren't all that, though, but no big deal) but it's a modern Falcom game. Which implies characters talking. Talking. They talk. Did I mention they like to talk. Yeah.
And, let's forget for a moment my known conflictual relationship with Trails writing, I hope we can agree that in this, it drags. A lot. Have the slight misfortune of hitting your toe on a rock, and then EVERY. FUCKER has an OPINION about it. Or something else, because why not.

I came to name those moments narrative tunnels. But those tunnels can drag...

On the bright side, the plot and background are not bad at all. Relatively, dare I say original ? Surprising. Not bad at all. It's just that when the game decides it's time to take a break and develop its story, it halts.
For me it is the other way round, while I like the story in the newer Ys games (7, Celceta, 8), the gameplay with three interchangeable characters is just boring (weakness? switch. another weakness? switch again..). The levels in these games are just corridors for budget reasons like all things Falcom, so I prefer the more experimental Action RPG's like Tokyo Xanadu.

This makes me sad. I loved Nitroplus Blasterz Heroines Infinite Duel (yes, that was the full title of the game), fighting games have to offer good story modes or other unique features to pique my interest (like Skullgirls or Uniel/Uniest training modes), and Nitroplus Blasterz was just the most Anime an Anime fighter can be.

Looking forward to playing this somewhere in the next 80 years. Guess I should start eating better and hitting the gym if I wanna live to 108
I hope they iterate on the first game which was great, and not on the expansion which was really bad.

Reactions: prudis and Li Kao

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Well, at 50% of RDR2¡s main story and it's a very interesting case as on the one hand I'm loving it but on the other hand I'm disliking it a lot (and you might be thinking on a certain thing such as slow pace or something but not exactly) It's probably the most difficult case in gaming for me since forever, we will see at the end of it what's the final opinion.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I need some help. I have to do an assignment about supply and demand and about working efficiently.

I was just going to do it on the Valve index, since that is a product that is not "efficient", there is a shortage of them.

The main issue has to do with finding a "source" talking about this. Any ideas?

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
For me it is the other way round, while I like the story in the newer Ys games (7, Celceta, 8), the gameplay with three interchangeable characters is just boring (weakness? switch. another weakness? switch again..). The levels in these games are just corridors for budget reasons like all things Falcom, so I prefer the more experimental Action RPG's like Tokyo Xanadu.
VIII has really tight gameplay on higher difficulties with flash guard and dodge. Nightmare is extremely satisfying (and not as brutally difficult as in older Ys games).
Though this is just a "fix" to the problem that is modern Falcom games being incredibly easy and boring on "Normal" difficulties. That's true for Cold Steel, Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII.
Origin, Felghana etc were all already plenty challenging on Normal the first time around, but modern Falcom normal is just baby mode.

Reactions: DeejayDoom

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I need some advice from an xcom 2 player.

I'm getting ready to go through the game properly (finally) and I wanted to know if it's possible to play the base game first and then the expansion, but utilize the huge performance improvements the expansion brought the base game. I have no idea how many gameplay changes the expansion made and how much of it is interwoven with base xcom 2, for all I know the two were combined and you'll eventually run into expansion stuff naturally while playing a campaign.
My opinion, just do WOTC. I don't think that you miss anything at all from vanilla XCOM2 - all the content gets merged together. The improvements to vanilla that WOTC brings are enormous. Even without the extras in the expansion, I recall there being many, many changes to the pace of the game, difficulty, balance, some unfairness issues got ironed out. Lots of annoying stuff just vanished.

Last edited:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
VIII has really tight gameplay on higher difficulties with flash guard and dodge. Nightmare is extremely satisfying (and not as brutally difficult as in older Ys games).
Though this is just a "fix" to the problem that is modern Falcom games being incredibly easy and boring on "Normal" difficulties. That's true for Cold Steel, Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII.
Origin, Felghana etc were all already plenty challenging on Normal the first time around, but modern Falcom normal is just baby mode.
I thought Origin and Ark's hard modes were pretty equivalent to 7 and Celceta's tbh, with Hugo's hard mode being easier than all of them together. I think Oath's hard mode was probably the only actually difficult one.

That could just be me having a harder time adjusting to party system. but ultimately I wouldn't call any of them significantly more challenging than the other.

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
This makes me sad. I loved Nitroplus Blasterz Heroines Infinite Duel (yes, that was the full title of the game), fighting games have to offer good story modes or other unique features to pique my interest (like Skullgirls or Uniel/Uniest training modes), and Nitroplus Blasterz was just the most Anime an Anime fighter can be.
Well there's this so it might be a false alarm.

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
Ah, fuckers. doing the good old 1 euro = 1 usd conversion. The best part is that my country doesn't use either, so i'm double fucked with currency conversion and fees.

Even with the other pricing schemes, it's still more expensive for me now.

Reactions: lashman and Arsene

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
No need to be a fanboy to acknowledge it looks like a rip off. Taking cues is putting it lightly. Never even played an AC game and that's instantly apparent.

Temtem at least got a positive reception on the premise it does what Pokedon't or something, never mind it's apparently dodgy itself, ppl mostly like AC (I think).

Like, would people be up in arms if this was the opposite situation, some indie game >--> Nintendo/Sony/Whoever publisher produced rip off?

If so, then it's justified in the opposite direction too. That said, I'm sure it'll do well if it's not an apparent disaster from day 1, just like Temtem.

People seem super thirsty to be able to say hu, don't need your gaemz nintenduh, I got "better" (or "equally good") stuff on muh platform, true or not.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
No need to be a fanboy to acknowledge it looks like a cheap rip off. Taking cues is putting it lightly. Never even played an AC game myself.

Temtem at least got a positive reception on the premise it does what Pokedon't or something, never mind it's apparently dodgy itself, ppl mostly like AC.

Like, would people be up in arms if this was the opposite situation, some indie game >--> Nintendo/Sony/Whoever publisher produced rip off?

If so, then it's justified in the opposite direction too. That said, I'm sure it'll do well if it's not an apparent disaster from day 1, just like Temtem.

People seem super thirsty to be able to say hu, don't need your gaemz nintenduh, I got "better" (or "equally good") stuff on muh platform.
We're people not also upset over that one "anime" game that sort of looks like BOTW. Not only that but Sony was also happy to announce that it was coming to PS4 as well. Initially I think it was only announced for PC and mobile

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
No idea. And no idea if that's the reason for the downvotes on the AC rip off (so dunno if that "also" really applies). Genshin Impact looks to have a very similar art style to BOTW but at least it seems to do some things quite different gameplay wise, combat reminds me of Tales of games with its animations and combos, as well as having various different characters to play as, however that system works in the end. We'll see how exactly the game is structured soon enough I guess.

Last edited:

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Yeah, I was generous about "taking cues" :cold-sweat:
Growing up experiencing many copycat games. I don't remember a fuss. So it would be weird to see it now.

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
There's been plenty fuss in the past about those "chinese developers" making copy cats of this or that or the likes of gameloft and other such stuff.

Reactions: PC-tan

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I mean games like Stardew Valley, Temtem, et all are a mix of iterating on a long running, but rarely represented, genres and just making them available to people on a broader platform. To me it mostly is a matter of how much they actually improve upon an idea and make it something (at least slightly) new. Although I'm also one of those people that desperately want way, way, way less corporate-friendly IP laws (boo Disney) so I am a bit biased when it comes to remixing or re-purposing stuff.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Well, Stardew Valley did seem to run with the Harvest Moon but great and fresh again deal as most found later entries in that series lackluster and stuff iirc.

For recent examples people called out Souls clones too. I guess it's reserved for when they don't seem to be doing anything cool or new, unlike Stardew.

Maybe this one does cool new stuff.

First impression isn't gr8. Why does everything have to look like AC? The camera angle, the arrival, the art style, the animal citizens, the indoor view, etc. Any single element of these on its own has been used by tons of different games but everything put together does make it look like a mere rip off. Stardew Valley had pretty good pixel art and lots of attention to detail and kinda looked like an obvious labor of love, I don't think it looks so much like any actual Harvest Moon.

There have been other rip offs like Castaway Paradise and games clearly inspired by it that don't look like rip offs like Fantasy Life and My Time at Portia too.

Deep Fear is a Resident Evil ripoff I liked back in the day though it was called out for it, at least it didn't take place in a mansion and have zombies and all that and did some of its own unique things with the underwater setting and the oxygen levels system and basically infinite ammo resupplies at certain areas.

And then there are those you could call rip offs but they're not because they're homages as the games that inspired them aren't still developed (ie, FFT likes and not in the general SRPG way as that's just a genre that encompasses loads of unique games, but games that actually take from FFT's style, systems, etc).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.