Not open for further replies.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Reactions: lashman

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

I don't think he'll be leaving FFXIV for Anthem either.

edit: I'm curiously interested about a possible Anthem restart/reboot. I think there's a good core there from the little i played so i'd be up for seeing what ideas they have.
Yeah me too. I love Anthem's flying, world, ada mechanical designs. It's just that the gameplay and loot is really really bad.

Not to mention the performance. Other than terrible loading time (several minutes on SSD) the game run very bad and some part of it is because of Origin Launcher (it's just another launcher btw). Imagine it took you several minutes from start to selecting mission and then because of shit server you got DC'd and have to repeat from the start.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
FF XIV worked because SE threw its weight over it. The ol’ classic Japanese company stubborness. It was almost a miracle, and it was released in a very different time. ME: Andromeda has been shit over for what it feels like decades but the thing is barely three years old, FF XIV wouldn’t stand a chance today.

No offense to Anthem players but I dont see why anyone would spend hours and money in a game EA could kill at any time, especially since PS5 / XSX are around the corner.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Anthem was clearly a big investment on being the AAA GAAS game for EA to compete with the different Ubisoft offerings and with Destiny. It always was going to get at least a second chance to redemption because the opportunity cost of the game was quite high (even if it might have made profit with only base game sales) as they really expected it to prop up their base revenue.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I hope for Anthem that the results of their remake will be good.

... and that it won't end up like FFXIV. One would say, why not? because their problem lie in shit gameplay and trash loot. Which is exactly what FFXIV suffers from. They just made a shitty WoW clone with worthless itemization, and even less interesting combat than in the original game.

But eh, best MMO ever, level design and gameplay don't matter, give us more circle arenas where we fight random old ennemies and cameos, 4 players instances and meaningless numbers going up is just what MMOs are about, right?
Perfectly fitting for the AAA GAAS to be honest, a completely cynical game with pretty visuals and music to get the attention of the "fans".

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
FF XIV worked because SE threw its weight over it. The ol’ classic Japanese company stubborness. It was almost a miracle, and it was released in a very different time. ME: Andromeda has been shit over for what it feels like decades but the thing is barely three years old, FF XIV wouldn’t stand a chance today.

No offense to Anthem players but I dont see why anyone would spend hours and money in a game EA could kill at any time, especially since PS5 / XSX are around the corner.
ME:Andromeda is on my list for another run this year, i enjoyed it :minos_dealwith:

I didn't pay for Anthem i got a code with my videocard so all i lose is some time which i would be wasting on other things anyway so i'll give a rebooted Anthem a go for a few hours to see if is fun to play.

As for the new consoles i reckon i'll be holding off from buying at launch and continuing with the games i have bought. I have a bunch of games on PC and Switch i want to get into, and VR so the new wonderchildren will have to wait until next year for my cash and time.

Hell, i'm currently replaying Xenoblade Chronicles X, a Wii U game, and loving it. New stuff can wait a while, especially console stuff.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Pathfinder Kingmaker uninstalled.
It's everything that's wrong with RPGs, and then some.

Combat is abject, probably the worst implementation of RTWP in existence, even as turn based (which would break other things) it's absolutely disgraceful.
Because there's no AI.
Masochists would say that it's why they play those games, and I say no: strategy does not come from having characters only capable of autoattacking, but form choosing skills. You play those games because you're insane and like to get hundreds of hours out of a game that should have lasted ten.

Problem; you can't control your skills.. There's no queue system. At all. Not even for movement, and we had that 25 years ago!
You have to wait 5sec+ between each action. All the while moving everyone constantly, as there's no pathfinding worth a damn (how ironic). But it does not stop here! You have to buff and rebuff all the fucking time, especially after resting (which you need to, it's annoying that they didn't remove the feature entirely, we're in 2020, it sucks ass and is just a waste of time... but okay, that one is a choice).
It's not micro managing your way to greatness. It's micro managing every pictosecond of the game so it does not shit the bed. It's literally unplayable, you spend your time fiddling with an awful UI, while basic things should just be a toggle.

Having the magnanimous choice of getting ONE ability on auto... and characters spamming it with no regard to anything does not make it an RPG.
It's a fucking chore, and the combat is just a whole lot of nothing but menial tasks. Because nenmies are not exactly much smarter than your group.

And I won't even go into how it's just a save scumming fest like all those games, that's another can of worms.
But it certainly doesn't help that spending minutes to micro manage a fight can go poof because your last roll was bad. Talk about adding insult to injury, it's almost a programming minigame, but it can also decide to fail you and make all that work and "strategic combat" entirely meaningless and force you to restart.

Shit game.
I'm sorry but that's all I can call it.

Reactions: Alexandros

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Yeah, about that division 2 year 2 season pass: bought the year one season pass on release (really enjoyed the beta with friends) but that didn't work out for us at all.
Overhauling the game is needed, but asking for money again... I don't know UBI. I do not have much confidence after the first season pass and ghost recon BP.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah, about that division 2 year 2 season pass: bought the year one season pass on release (really enjoyed the beta with friends) but that didn't work out for us at all.
Overhauling the game is needed, but asking for money again... I don't know UBI. I do not have much confidence after the first season pass and ghost recon BP.
they'll probably just reuse the map from the first game anyway

Reactions: madjoki and ISee

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
I tried out Division 2 during the free Uplay+ month and wasn't really feeling the setting so I only played a couple of hours. Loved the first one though partly because I'm just a sucker for snow levels.

I think I would be willing to give it a second shot if Ubisoft would release a complete package (including the new expansion) on Steam for around $30.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
Fuck regional pricing. GMG and Humble now doing it, Fanatical probably going to be next.

Even Steam, because since they introduced "regional pricing", games either didn't change in price or some devs/pubs straight up increased it.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Fuck regional pricing. GMG and Humble now doing it, Fanatical probably going to be next.

Even Steam, because since they introduced "regional pricing", games either didn't change in price or some devs/pubs straight up increased it.
But Fanatical is already doing regional prices.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
The biggest red flag on this whole Anthem situation is that they keep talking about how they need to redo the gameplay loop before worrying about content.

My dudes, your loot game has no content. ARR didn't just redo FFXIV's gameplay in a different engine, they wrote an entire new story, redid nearly every map, dungeon and fight, which is something that only worked because Square Enix isn't right in the head and just had a moment of business insanity that ended up panning out.. Even if you redo the entire gameplay loop, you'll still have to give things to use said gameplay loop on and sorry if I don't believe that EA will just let you work for another year or so for essentially free on a game you shat out in less than 2 years without nothing for people to spend money on or have a reason to go back to.

Reactions: ISee
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I really dig PlayWay.

Their various sim franchises are legit quality.

I particularly enjoy Car Mechanic Simulator, Gold Rush, Thief Sim, Farm Manager, and House Flipper.
yeah - that's the thing about them ... they might have 3457392849234 games in development ... and they keep releasing new ones basically every month ... BUT they're all actually really pretty good games!

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
i can see the other mentione being kind of dun , but really strugling to understand the case for Gold Rush :thinking-face:
The thing I dig about Gold Rush is the fine minutia involved.

Day-Job Sims have varying levels of mechanical interactivity. Think about the DCS flight sims where you're sitting in a fighter-jet cockpit and can push every button and flip every switch. The devil's in the details.

Gold rush has all that in spades, For example, if you're setting up a mechanical table sifter, you have to drop down the table and manually connect the water hoses, electric generator, etc. It's all incredible tactile and satisfying to set up increasingly complex operations.

The scale of progression is pretty epic as well. You start out with a pan & shovel and work your way up to heavy machinery bigger than a house!

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
The thing I dig about Gold Rush is the fine minutia involved.

Day-Job Sims have varying levels of mechanical interactivity. Think about the DCS flight sims where you're sitting in a fighter-jet cockpit and can push every button and flip every switch. The devil's in the details.

Gold rush has all that in spades, For example, if you're setting up a mechanical table sifter, you have to drop down the table and manually connect the water hoses, electric generator, etc. It's all incredible tactile and satisfying to set up increasingly complex operations.

The scale of progression is pretty epic as well. You start out with a pan & shovel and work your way up to heavy machinery bigger than a house!
you could say all their games are kinda/sorta How Things Work: The Game ... and that's awesome :D

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
you could say all their games are kinda/sorta How Things Work: The Game ... and that's awesome :D
For sure.

That's one of the cornerstones that attracted me to Day Sims to begin with.

Some may look at Farming Simulator and think, "Booor-ing". But to me titles like this have always opened a window into a larger world that I'll likely never experience.

It's a fascinating slice of life experience that's a nice compliment to the fantasy worlds dominated in the gaming landscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.