Community MetaSteam | February 2020 - Marching Towards Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
If people are giving it poor reviews because of the server issues, then that's really shitty. I don't think anyone expected it to be even close to this popular.
Someone already elaborated on it, but server issues are not the only problem (otherwise Temtem would have awful review score as well). The amount of bugs is disappointing considering they had significantly lengthy early access. There's lot of complaints about poor steam reviews, but personally, I always found them to be super generous as the game generally do not get "mixed" reviews unless there are problematic element worth paying attention to... that is, except few select cases where games are review-bombed for political reasons.

Reactions: Durante and ISee

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Someone already elaborated on it, but server issues are not the only problem (otherwise Temtem would have awful review score as well). The amount of bugs is disappointing considering they had significantly lengthy early access. There's lot of complaints about poor steam reviews, but personally, I always found them to be super generous as the game generally do not get "mixed" reviews unless there are problematic element worth paying attention to... that is, except few select cases where games are review-bombed for political reasons.
It simply never made sense ever since the January full release announcement.
I don't get it..

They've been struggling with developing, balancing, and bug squashing Act 1 with only 20 levels in early access all these years. And all of a sudden the 2nd and 3rd Acts are now supposed to be ready in January? How does that even work?

Reactions: ISee

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
We got colors now? Nice.

I have now replayed the entirety of the orginal Warcraft 3 campaign in Reforged. That game is still good.
Will dig into Frozen Throne a bit later.

I've also been playing around with Dark Souls Randomizers. Yes, you can mod Dark Souls 1 (Durante would know of course), but enterprising players have made mods that will randomize the locations of items, enemies, bosses, or any subset of these. There is logic in place to make sure it ins't impossible to find, but it doesn't mean it will be easy. You better remember every nook and cranny and each weird chest and item cause it might be holding the Lordvessel or just some random garbage.

Starting equipment is randomized too, so you end up picking your starting character based on what looks like it has good weapons/armor and leveling to use that since god knows what will drop. I've gotten a Black Knight sword from a basic hollow and seen O&S replaced with Gwyn and Artorias. The thing is crazy, and hilarious.

I think I've settled on making the items randomized being fun, but I'd be REALLY careful about allowing it to spawn bosses as regular enemies. Even at 1% chance you're gonna see a lot of Manus coming down a hallway to murder you or a Demon Firesage attacking you through a wall.

Overall its a hoot and if you are really into Dark Souls 1 I recommend giving it a go. Nexusmods has the two mods you need (one to unpack the game for modding, the other to do the randomization). I believe the code for the randomizer is on GitHub for those curious and/or cautious about running a program on your PC.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
I've been waiting for Sekiro to have the same amount of creativity and dedication in Dark Souls modding scene that made all sorts of interesting challenges possible... and unfortunately it doesn't seem likely to happen, much to my sadness :(

Reactions: lashman

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Finished AO No Kiseki. The Crossbell duology is something really special, among the best jrpgs I've ever played.
I'm glad I managed to finish it in time for Cold Steel 3's PC release.
It's time for an avatar change, need to show Kiseki some well deserved love and who better than Queen Estelle to do it?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
We got colors now? Nice.
indeed we do :) good choice too :D

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Colors, yay! :minos_rainbow:

I've played a bit of The Invisible Hours during this week-end. It doesn't perfectly recognize the Index controllers and I haven't found a way to make it look great yet. Up close the various characters look good, but if they're on the other side of a room, I can't see their features clearly.

Anyway, apart from these issues, I'm finding it quite interesting. I'm like an invisible Jessica Fletcher with time powers :detectiveblob:
I want more games like this for VR.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
And yet I think SEGA is trying to force them into porting more things such as Persona 5 (even if it's just vanilla version) or scramble, we will see but I think part of the reason why SEGA is quiet about their PC ports it's because they might be closing deals with Atlus. Wondering if SEGA is trying to get the Vanillaware stuff or just the popular ones.

Reactions: PC-tan and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
SEGA is publishing the PC exclusive Total War games btw. A series that really took off a while ago, especially Total Warhammer seems to be printing money.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
When are segas next pc ports gonna be announced anyways, it's been some time
Actually, we just don't know, it might be soon or might be later, if I had to guess, I think by mid-march we should know something if not, by June or so, although it's weird cause' last year we had 2 ports by March while this year we have nothing at all which is why I'm thinking they are holding something.

Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It's a mix of timing, good word of mouth and a dedicated community that has been waiting for the next step in the genre for half a decade now. Path of Exile puts around those numbers (I can't imagine what kind of numbers PoE2 is gonna do, but it's gonna be big. Although it helps it will be F2P), but more than that, the player base is about done with the current PoE league and they are waiting on details on the new one.

There is really no competition in this specific form of the genre. It's PoE and then it's everyone else. Diablo 3, for a game that sold 30 million copies+, did absolutely nothing worthwhile to keep people engaged. It's the worst supported gaas-always-online-game by a big studio ever. I can't imagine more than a few thousands still play D3 anymore at the start of each new season. It was a different time back then, and it happened under a different set of circumstances, but lets remember PoE was also a game made by a small New Zealand indie studio that grew popular almost entirely on the back of good word of mouth and a few popular Diablo streamers picking it up and declaring it the true D2 successor.

Now, how long will it last? It all depends on how well supported it is and how quickly the devs can keep it going with QoL updates, stability and content. And even that might not do it. For now, it's just one of those flavor of the month games that landed at the right time. Games like Atlas get a big streamer push and then settle down and forgotten, Underlords did like 200k peak in its first week and now averages around 10k once the novelty wore off.
I think that makes sense. D3 was fun for about a month, and PoE never really held my interest on top of being really goddarn depressing and not all that fun to play. So starved audience in an empty release window.

They have a damn weird female character model. I could swear those legs are sentient and about to run off on their own.

Reactions: lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I reckon I could get back into Rimworld. Still remember my best colony that got destroyed after about 20 hours of prosperity by a rabid squirrel.

Good times.

Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So I just discovered an absolute outstandingly stupid and embarrasingly bad thing for me in regards to the Oculus Client.

I haven't played a game on the client for many months now, I use it these days only to have it open as using SteamVR with Rift requires to have the Oculus Client open. I only otherwise use it for Oculus exclusives.

So I found out that I had Wilsons Heart (great game) installed, but I finished it many months ago so I had forgotten that I had it installed.

So Oculus Client said I had 5 hours playtime, I love playtime tracking and I wish all platform had one as good as Steam.

Well fuck me, the playtime got deleted when I uninstalled the game.

I mean what the fuck. So apparently the playtime you have on Oculus installed games are wiped if you uninstall the game.

In details, it says "Playtime (on this computer)" so apparently playtime is per-computer-based and if you delete the game it's wiped.

So fuck you Oculus.

This also made me discover there's no way to view which game support Oculus Cloud saved.

Last edited:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
We got colors now? Nice.

I have now replayed the entirety of the orginal Warcraft 3 campaign in Reforged. That game is still good.
Will dig into Frozen Throne a bit later.

I've also been playing around with Dark Souls Randomizers. Yes, you can mod Dark Souls 1 (Durante would know of course), but enterprising players have made mods that will randomize the locations of items, enemies, bosses, or any subset of these. There is logic in place to make sure it ins't impossible to find, but it doesn't mean it will be easy. You better remember every nook and cranny and each weird chest and item cause it might be holding the Lordvessel or just some random garbage.

Starting equipment is randomized too, so you end up picking your starting character based on what looks like it has good weapons/armor and leveling to use that since god knows what will drop. I've gotten a Black Knight sword from a basic hollow and seen O&S replaced with Gwyn and Artorias. The thing is crazy, and hilarious.

I think I've settled on making the items randomized being fun, but I'd be REALLY careful about allowing it to spawn bosses as regular enemies. Even at 1% chance you're gonna see a lot of Manus coming down a hallway to murder you or a Demon Firesage attacking you through a wall.

Overall its a hoot and if you are really into Dark Souls 1 I recommend giving it a go. Nexusmods has the two mods you need (one to unpack the game for modding, the other to do the randomization). I believe the code for the randomizer is on GitHub for those curious and/or cautious about running a program on your PC.
Randomizers fascinate me, one of these days I'll try a game with one.
Dark Souls might actually be a good one for that for me, I feel like I know the game well enough that it would be interesting.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
It's probably gonna take a while. My theory is that Lab 42 (they did 0 and Kiwami) is working on Yakuza 3-5 HD for PC based on that tweet.

Don't know if there's anything else they can drop this year on PC, maybe Judgment?
Judgement, Fist of the north star, Yakuza 6 and potentially stealth port of Sakura Wars and, way less probable, Persona 5.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Played and finished episode 2 of Life Is Strange 2 yesterday. Great game, but a little too slow at times. The pacing is kinda off, and there are a lot of time skips, which make it seem like a series of random events at times. Though I guess that's inevitable with a road trip game, because you can't make players waste time playing every single instance of the characters scavenging for food or whatever. This is a narrative adventure game, not a crafting/survival one. Anyway, looking forward to episode 3!

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Randomizers fascinate me, one of these days I'll try a game with one.
Dark Souls might actually be a good one for that for me, I feel like I know the game well enough that it would be interesting.
I saw a youtube vid where some guy did Dark Souls Randomised and it was pretty interesting...

No idea who this guy is but it was a reasonable watch.

Reactions: QFNS

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Judgement, Fist of the north star, Yakuza 6 and potentially stealth port of Sakura Wars and, way less probable, Persona 5.
Y6 seems unlikely until 3-5 Collection is out (I'd also assume Sega doesn't want to release too many Yakuza games in a year), Fist seems unlikely considering the amount of RGG Studio games that aren't ported to PC yet. So that leaves us with Judgment and maybe Sakura Wars.

And new Miku game, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.