Community MetaSteam | February 2020 - Marching Towards Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I feel compelled to say that I've finally played Ep2 and... Holy crap. Where 1 was meh, the second one is sincerely amazing and I can only fathom how amazing it must have been in 2007. The pacing, writing, the setpieces, the atmosphere and overall story are really impressive. I never really cared while playing Ep1, but Ep2? I really feel curious about where the story is going to go and I feel like I should find myself lucky I'm only playing it now :p.
When Ep1 launched it didn't have the modern (current) shadow effects either (they were introduced with Orange Box on 360 but didn't come to PC for at least a year), so it felt even less dynamic and interesting.

Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
When Ep1 launched it didn't have the modern (current) shadow effects either (they were introduced with Orange Box on 360 but didn't come to PC for at least a year), so it felt even less dynamic and interesting.
The reason I didn't like Ep1 was because it was largely uninteresting. I can barely remember what even happened and I played it only a week ago :p.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I discovered today that I own all episodes of Kentucky Route Zero. I can't remember buying it and Annapurna is on my blacklist for over a year, but since I own it I'll be happy to play it. :)

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I thought the only reason that there is a ZOE PC port was because of Cygames and them wanting to do a PC release

Also I really need a new phone. I have had mine since Summer 2017 (the phone I had prior to that I got in Fall 2014 and that one cost me $500 USD). So if would seem that my phones do last me a while, so paying something like $500USD for a phone that will last me 2-3 years is not a bad idea.

When is the best time to buy phones? Is it during the Fall? I have an EDU email, so at least on sites like Moto I can get something like $100USD off the price of the phone.

I think I asked this question a few months ago, but I didn't really have money at the time. My current phone is not as responsive as I would like for it to be.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
I thought the only reason that there is a ZOE PC port was because of Cygames and them wanting to do a PC release
Yup pretty much. Someone with enough swaying power at Cygames was like "you know what game was fucking sick" and now we have one the coolest Konami action games on PC

Reactions: Mor and PC-tan
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Found this guy's site. Posts about cool cockpit games & shit. Makes it look almost like the space/flight combat genre is alive & well. Still too few mechs though.
But yeah lots of cool mostly indie stuff to browse through that I'd never seen before. And some sad stuff like this which doesn't appear to have had progress in a while, dude is apparently part of the Rebel Galaxy Outlaw devs but I dunno if this project was put on hold for it or he's working on it in his spare time anyway...
Found this on his site. It's older but I never saw it. Super cool 6dof joystick. Posting the older vid explaining stuff, there's a more recent one showing it off in Star Citizen with all axis controlled by one hand (personally I'd like to get two of those beauties). They did the first of at least two planned kickstarters, it was successful it seems, but I sure hope any consumer product won't approach those ridiculous prices they had for it, I won't even list them.

rainking187

Mar 12, 2019
How important is playing the earlier Witcher games? I’ve tried to play the first one but it’s not really grabbing me. The intro was cool, but I’m around ten hours in and I’ve yet to fight any monster that looks as interesting as the one in the intro. Thinking about just dropping it and trying Witcher 2.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I tried Sea Salt on Gamepass.
It's a Cthulhu inspired Pikmin-like where you play hordes of monsters (unlocking new types along the way).

But... for one, it's 4 bit pixel art, so you can't see shit. Your minions are far too small, there's gore and effects when you kill stuff, and very quickly ennemies have AoEs and effects of their own. So much visual noise, it's easy to just lose half your troop on something you didn't see.
The levels may as well not exist. They're corridors/arenas, separated by loading screens every twenty seconds or so.
But really what breaks the game is the gameplay: the AI is dumb as rocks and get stuck or follow the wrong way (or get stuck and die, great pathfinding), it's insanely simple outside of bosses... which are still very basic, and... you can't separate your monsters. Want to use the fire immune spiders, or send your bloat to explode into ennemies? You can't. You have to move as a blob, so any strategy is impossible. Use the OP monsters, that's all.

Annnd... it has some of the worst controls I've seen in a strategy game. Both on controller and keyboard, which is impressive.
On controller you're imprecise, and can't move while attacking so... everything is fast and avoid you (since your pets are passive until told otherwise), or your cursor gets stuck on a piece of wood and force your team to attack that instead... and chasing humans is a pain.
On keyboard... yes, I said keyboard, not keyboard and mouse. No mouse support in a strategy game. :huhblob:It does give you more control, but there's what I can only call keyboard acceleration, making the cursor too fast too quickly, except when it isn't because... I dunno, there's a building in the way or something and you can't hover at the same speed I guess?. And again, not the best to target fast moving things... it's just not fun and sluggish, especially when minions have different speeds and you have to wait the slow ones to catch up.

Absurdly simplistic, ugly to the point of being detrimental, horrendous controls and AI... the only thing that they managed is atmosphere (in cut scenes, in gameplay it's copy/pasted) and music.
They did make an abysmal game, but maybe not in the way that they hoped for.

Reactions: Oldschool PC

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
How important is playing the earlier Witcher games? I’ve tried to play the first one but it’s not really grabbing me. The intro was cool, but I’m around ten hours in and I’ve yet to fight any monster that looks as interesting as the one in the intro. Thinking about just dropping it and trying Witcher 2.
Ehh, it’s complicated. As much as gamers, at least me, have to get over the ocd impulse of wanting to play. Everything. In order. There is certainly a special pleasure to have followed Geralt from the beginning.
But Witcher 1 is also quite a mixed experience, hard to love. Everything is bad, then great, and sometimes it goes back to being bad, then etc.

I think the second half of the game is better, but yeah, that means playing the first, which biggest sin is its fucking slow pacing.

As an added word of wisdom, totally universally shared by people with taste (or just me :coffee-blob: ), Witcher 2 is better than Witcher 3.
I said it.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I kinda want to play
  • a gentle, cozy game, if that makes sense. Looking at the latest Pokemon but I don't want to sell a kidney to pay the Nintendo Taxtm.
  • a classic RTS, with base fucking building, where you can turtle.
  • a PnC (yes, you mofos created this entry with all the King Quest talk, that and I just skimmed a Leisure suit Larry 2 piece on PCGamer).
I really want to browse
  • a PC centered website which isn't filled by : sellouts / people that try to be funny, that try hard / some pirate in a basement who thought it would be cool to create a PC gaming website.
It's nice to want things, I guess. Taking suggestions, evidently. Well, for the first part of my post, I lost hope for the second.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Crepes time ? Crepes time.
Sugar, chocolate or strawberry jam.

It was good to have a family activity, and cook again. Felt a little bit alive.

Jury is not out yet but methink we will have to cook some more today.

And now I want to go to the market and coooook. But I still have so little money, I have to think about it.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Labyrinth of Refrain does look good, but only recently did it drop to 25€. It was pretty damn expensive.
Although I'm always wary of Japanese D-RPGs now. With the popularity of Etrian Odyssey and the like, I've been more than a little disappointed. Level design was not only murdered by Western AAA... and for a genre whose very name is based on it, it hurts.

tet666

Dec 21, 2018
Beta of the english translation of
is appearantly out since December and full english release will be this month.

Reactions: PC-tan

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I kinda want to play
  • a gentle, cozy game, if that makes sense. Looking at the latest Pokemon but I don't want to sell a kidney to pay the Nintendo Taxtm.
  • a PnC (yes, you mofos created this entry with all the King Quest talk, that and I just skimmed a Leisure suit Larry 2 piece on PCGamer).
For a cozy game I could suggest My Time At Portia. You come to this Island, where you inherit your father's workshop and pass your days building things, exploring caves, killing some monsters, mining and collecting various resources, talking to the other citizens, helping them out, etc...
Very relaxing game.

For a recent PnC game I'd suggest Gibbous A Cthulhu Adventure, very similar to the older LucasArts adventures.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I kinda want to play
I really want to browse
  • a PC centered website which isn't filled by : sellouts / people that try to be funny, that try hard / some pirate in a basement who thought it would be cool to create a PC gaming website.
It's nice to want things, I guess. Taking suggestions, evidently. Well, for the first part of my post, I lost hope for the second.
- There's always Stardew Valley, as long as you focus on making the farm aesthetically cool instead of trying to relentlessly upgrade and make money. Be just productive enough. That's the fun way to play. The other way is just hectic and stressful. Just like in real life.

- Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance! It's fun to set up a bunch of allied enemies, then let them throw units at your constantly. The AI can surprise you. Single player is a lot of fun if you just want to turtle and see how long it goes. I do that quite often if I just want some brainless fun. RTS doesn't get better than SC:FA.

- Kentucky Route Zero?

- Website: I like Rock Paper Shotgun. I liked it more before they got sorta corporate and added fifty people, but it's still ok.

Reactions: Li Kao
Status
Not open for further replies.