Community MetaSteam | February 2020 - Marching Towards Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I hope Outer Wilds will do good on Steam, should release in may. Despite it having won a lot of awards and praise from (the few) people who have played it, I think EGS exclusivity fucked the game.

Im getting it day 1 on Steam, but it seems like if your game is not called Borderlands 3, World War Z, Satisfactory or Metro Exodus, you are fucked on EGS.

Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I hope Outer Wilds will do good on Steam, should release in may. Despite it having won a lot of awards and praise from (the few) people who have played it, I think EGS exclusivity fucked the game.

Im getting it day 1 on Steam, but it seems like if your game is not called Borderlands 3, World War Z, Satisfactory or Metro Exodus, you are fucked on EGS.
It is amazing, and taking that deal was the single worst business decision they could have made.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I guess PC Gaming Wiki needs some better moderation.
Friends don't let friends use SweetFX
This is why we need a retro thread :coffee-blob:
And no, I'm not fit for the job, did you see my wallpaper thread ? Chances are, if I write an OP for a retro thread it will explain how to install Hot Coffee :smirking-face:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It is amazing, and taking that deal was the single worst business decision they could have made.
This is one of the most recent posts on the game's subreddit asking why the game is not more popular, people claims it's due to the EGS exclusivity:

Funny thing is that Im in "TheSauceBoy"s situation, without Xbox Game Pass (didn't play it there due to shitty performance) I wouldn't have known about the game.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
This is one of the most recent posts on the game's subreddit asking why the game is not more popular, people claims it's due to the EGS exclusivity:

Funny thing is that Im in "TheSauceBoy"s situation, without Xbox Game Pass (didn't play it there due to shitty performance) I wouldn't have known about the game.
I think an EGS deal can make sense if you know your game is already very well known, and can still easily attract sales a year later. (there's still the question of whether the loss in sales overall is offset by EGS money, since that kind of game will likely make millions)

With a smaller indie title, I'm really curious if it can still build a healthy community on Steam. I do hope so, honestly, but it's harder to believe than with something like Metro Exodus

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Good. Fuck Annapurna! :mad:

I'm not sure that's true. Devs and publishers of other games seem to be very happy how their games perform on EGS. Even nearly-broken stuff like Rune 2 and Phoenix Point sold better than expected according to the devs.

One of my colleagues bought Outer Wilds on EGS after watching a streamer playing it...

Reactions: Spookyfriend

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I'm not sure that's true. Devs and publishers of other games seem to be very happy how their games perform on EGS. Even nearly-broken stuff like Rune 2 and Phoenix Point sold better than expected according to the devs.
Who? Never heard anything from anyone else than Satisfactory, WWZ and Blands 3 folks.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Who? Never heard anything from anyone else than Satisfactory, WWZ and Blands 3 folks.
It's been a while since I've followed EGS-related news, but I'm pretty sure I've seen devs/publishers of Heavy Rain, John Wick Hex, Untitled Goose Game, Rune 2, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and Phoenix Point claiming in interviews or social media that their games did well or even better than expected on EGS. They've forseen that a certain percentage of people would wait for the Steam release of course.

Don't get me wrong: I hope you're right that the majority of EGS exclusives aren't selling well - it may discourage other devs and publishers to accept Epic's money. I'd love to see the sales for games like Operencia, WRC8 and Observation.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It's been a while since I've followed EGS-related news, but I'm pretty sure I've seen devs/publishers of Heavy Rain, John Wick Hex, Untitled Goose Game, Rune 2, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and Phoenix Point claiming in interviews or social media that their games did well or even better than expected on EGS. They've forseen that a certain percentage of people would wait for the Steam release of course.

Don't get me wrong: I hope you're right that the majority of EGS exclusives aren't selling well - it may discourage other devs and publishers to accept Epic's money. I'd love to see the sales for games like Operencia, WRC8 and Observation.
I read an interview by John Wick Hex dev stating he wished there was even some negative talk about the game implying noone talks about it what so ever.

Other than that I haven't read anything else from other devs/pubs.

Also, EGS top sellers list sadly doesn't tell us much either. There are no stats to gain other than 251 million dollar for all 3rd party games on EGS and some numbers from playtracker.

Like, I observed Shenmue 3 being top seller on EGS for 2 weeks after launch and we know Shenmue 3 sold really bad on PS4, so:

• Shenmue 3 sold fantastic on EGS meaning other games sold great too
  • Shenmue 3 sold really badly on EGS meaning other games sold terrible
  • The top seller list is a bunch of lies just used to promote certain titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Tbh, at the risk of being a little on the conspiracy side of things, it's not like a publisher will go and say that their sales are underwhelming and that they ass-fucked themselves by going EGS :thinking-blob:
I ill go beyond and say that is probably part of the deal to say nice things about EGS, the boot licking from this devs/pubs about EGS some times are pretty weird.

Reactions: LEANIJA and Li Kao

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I read an interview by John Wick Hex dev stating he wished there was even some negative talk about the game implying noone talks about it what so ever.

Other than that I haven't read anything else from other devs/pubs.

Also, EGS top sellers list sadly doesn't tell us much either. There are no stats to gain other than 251 million dollar for all 3rd party games on EGS and some numbers from playtracker.

Like, I observed Shenmue 3 being top seller on EGS for 2 weeks after launch and we know Shenmue 3 sold really bad on PS4, so:

• Shenmue 3 sold fantastic on EGS meaning other games sold great too
  • Shenmue 3 sold really badly on EGS meaning other games sold terrible
  • The top seller list is a bunch of lies just used to promote certain titles.
I don't have bookmarked the sources of the interviews were devs were talking about sales, sorry. Most of them were probably on GI.biz. But the John Wick dev said there was no negative talk because "people liked the game on Epic store" in a recent interview. Whatever that means of course. ;)

Do we even know how Epic determines the top sellers list? Afaik, this is manual work done by an Epic employee, so I'm not sure this tells us anything. I'd love to see official sales for every EGS exclusive. Perhaps we can raise a crowfunding campaign to hire a North Korean hacker to get them for us? :)

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Lol, just dropped in to say Resetera is a fucking trash fire of filled with the worst people. Its a shame I nuked my account there, I'd fit right in. Also, they keep bumping my stupid Friday thread, someone tell them to knock it the fuck off, I left because the most vocal members of the place were massive jerks (takes one to see one i'm sorry to say), not bc I couldn't take a joke.

Alright, I'm out for the forseeable future. Becareful on message boards people and take care of yourself.

Reactions: derExperte

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Lol, just dropped in to say Resetera is a fucking trash fire of filled with the worst people. Its a shame I nuked my account there, I'd fit right in. Also, they keep bumping my stupid Friday thread, someone tell them to knock it the fuck off, I left because the most vocal members of the place were massive jerks (takes one to see one i'm sorry to say), not bc I couldn't take a joke.

Alright, I'm out for the forseeable future. Becareful on message boards people and take care of yourself.
That's quite the overraction, don't you think ? Have you written this post in the heat of a ban ?

Resetera is an useful forum for news as far as I'm concerned, but it's heavily console-centered so not really an inclusive (hey) place for PC gamers.

Neogaf on the other hand....Woah this place sure has changed and not in a good way in my opinion.

Reactions: sprinkles

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I get my news from gematsu, gamasutra, twitter, gamespress, allgamesdelta, indiedb, etc., I can't say I feel like I've missed anything that would interest me.

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Roguetech? What's that?
basically Battletech Mod on Steroids. It probably even makes LongWar blush

• The entire Inner Sphere is open to you!
  • Persistent online Map! Fight for your faction against REAL PLAYERS!!!
  • Mission Control Additional lances on bigger maps!
  • Custom Starting locations based on Faction Choice.
  • Custom Flashpoints that tell the story of the Roguetech universe or offer unique challenges (requires Flashpoint dlc to enable)
  • TAC (Through Armour Criticals) - Deal critical damage if the armour is compromised or if the weapon hits hard.
  • Skill Based Innitiative - Increases the number of turns on a single round and randomizes a bit the turns, as well as offering certain effects by skill points or combat condition of a mech and pilot.
  • Custom Mech Engineer components - Mech Engineer is one of the main gameplay experience changing mods added to RogueTech, which allows for many different aspects from the core game between the un-modded BattleTech experience and the RogueTech experience.
  • Low Visibility Mod - Adds double-blind rules from MaxTech, but have been heavily adapted to the video game mechanics.
  • Fire Modes, Ammo Switching & Custom Ammo - There is now Custom Ammo supported, so HMGs, LMGs, MRMs, LBXs, RACs and other weapon systems now have their own ammo types. And with Custom Ammo, you can now use different ammo when firing your weapons. Switch between ammos with Left Click on the % mark of weapon slot in combat HUD.
  • Massive emphasis on a full sandbox experience.
  • The entire game has been re-balanced. This includes bringing persistent evasion back into the fold for light mechs, though there are weapons that handle the little guys more easily if you're willing to invest the tonnage.
  • Over 1600+ 'Mechs: From the pirate commando with infernos, to the Massive King Crab-0001 with twin Gauss rifles, to the clan mechs like the Mad Cat Mk2, face off against all kinds of enemies.
  • Over 300 Custom Vehicles and Variants. Now with VTOLS!
  • With the great houses scrambling for superiority and unlocking the secrets of Helm, new weapons arrive on the battlefield, but nothing is cheap.
  • However, not everyone you go up against is using the best gear available. Some foes are welding weapons onto other weapons to try to get an edge with less money to work with. Don't laugh, you might get put into this situation just like them.
  • Tonnage means nothing! Everything is balanced around what your lance costs, not what it weighs. A well equipped Locust can still kill you!
  • Tweak your campaign to whatever difficulty settings you feel like. Want to dance along the edge of bankruptcy every month while haggling your way to victory? Or would you prefer mechs hand-delivered with their original factory wrappings? It's all customizable.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
That's quite the overraction, don't you think ? Have you written this post in the heat of a ban ?

Resetera is an useful forum for news as far as I'm concerned, but it's heavily console-centered so not really an inclusive (hey) place for PC gamers.

Neogaf on the other hand....Woah this place sure has changed and not in a good way in my opinion.
I had my account closed in July of 2019, making sure that my handle was erased so certain places couldn't track me were I went in the future.

And no it isn't an overreaction.

Also, just an FYI for everyone, there are people who live to collect and watch and I did not know this place was known until recently.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Now that I've played almost 100h of Monster Hunter World (since starting in January), I'd like to officially retract my previous GOTD candidate list and proclaim it as my personal NUMERO UNO. I demand a do-over !

I still can't figure out why I like it so much... I bought it somewhat randomly when I was kinda thirsting for a AAA experience. Tbh I was pretty sure I'd drop it after a couple of hours...
Yeah it's one that really caught me off guard too. I've tried to play several of the Monster Hunter games in the past and always bounced off of them fairly quickly but something about World hooked me in a way that much like you I can't fully explain.

New builds, the cycling in and out of events and new monsters getting added almost monthly, plus with the Guiding Lands stuff you're always able to find something to do. It's pretty incredible.

I know that I'm not alone though.... in my friend list I have BlindRhythm who plays as much as I do (although he started in 2018 o_O)
I don't play MHW that mu..

Oh.. huh. Maybe I play too much?

Nah.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

So a few things
1. A new netflix transformers animated series that just borrows the name 'war for cybertron'
2. 2 new transformers games, one being a vr game.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Yeah it's one that really caught me off guard too. I've tried to play several of the Monster Hunter games in the past and always bounced off of them fairly quickly but something about World hooked me in a way that much like you I can't fully explain.

New builds, the cycling in and out of events and new monsters getting added almost monthly, plus with the Guiding Lands stuff you're always able to find something to do. It's pretty incredible.

I don't play MHW that mu..

Oh.. huh. Maybe I play too much?

Nah.
Quick question though. Is it normal that some delivery quests are still available even though the required resources aren't obtainable anymore? I'm referring to the "VIP grand something something gratitude tickets". I only have 5 which is barely enough to get the (atrociously looking) armor set...
Thank you for proving my point!

My character looks whack too... He's a weird mishmash of Revolver Ocelot and Spider Jerusalem (I gave him red/green eyes).

Reactions: PossiblyPudding

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Is this mod good for a first playthrough or does it overcomplicate things too much for a novice of the game?
In my opinion, playing Battletech beforehand only marginally helps with getting into Roguetech. Even a Battletech Veteran will feel overwhelmed the first time in Roguetech. Basically all the aspects of Battletech were reworked. The gameplay, the mech outfitting, etc.

if you just want to play a game for 20 hours, play Battletech. if you want to sink a hundred(s of) hours into it (and restarting a few times) play Roguetech.

Reactions: QFNS and rybrad
Status
Not open for further replies.