Not open for further replies.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
What? Why? It's like the only thing I'm looking forward to for the first half of the year here. It might actually be the game that breaks my Siege addiction... maybe.

Fighting one addiction with another... Fire with fire as they say! :fireblob:
Just my hipsterism kicking in I guess. I think AC is just okay.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So, like Kandrick I also beat Ys VIII - Lacrimosa of DANA, yesterday in fact. Took me 65 hours according to Steam, though I think it's actually closer to 70 since I lost some hours due to having to start Steam in offline mode a few times (on account of servers being dead).

Ys VIII is easily the biggest Ys game so far, in terms of content, both in story, the overall size of the map, and enemy count too, I think, at 220. The soundtrack is still absolutely divine, Falcoms Soundteam JDK are still easily among the best composer(s) in the entire medium.

The story begins simple enough with Adol being stranded on an island after his ship sank (once again, dude should really get some insurance on that, he'd make mad cash), but it gets more and more complex, and ultimately expands the entire setting of Ys
To my understanding, the Eternians Era introduced here would predate everything in Ys so far, even the Eldeen, as they are human in origin. It also pretty much confirms that Tritheism is quite literally true, though the corresponding gods don't seem to be active anymore - thus making it a moot point.

The characters are great, from Laxia who begins as a walking Anime cliche, but actually develops quite a bit of original personality throughout the game, Hummel who has the perfect deadpan performance. Sahad is a bit boring, really, but that's made up easily by the great Ricotta (Tally-Ho!), with whom he has some great scenes. Though, ultimately, it's the eponymous Dana who steals the show. I won't go too much into her, as basically anything I could say would be a huge spoiler. Just gonna say it would have been easy to mess her story up, but Falcom really delivered on this.

The actual gameplay is easily the best "party-Ys" has ever been. They fucking finally introduced jumping, bringing some much needed mobility into the fray. It's still a far cry from Ys Origin or Oath, but it opens up the gameplay a lot. I still feel the overreliance on Flash mechanics hurts Ys more than it helps, they should nerf it a ton and actually design boss fights with proper, intelligent puzzles in them. Not just giant sponges that expect you to cheese the hell out of flash guard. I feel the most important point for this would also be to reduce the number of boss fights, as strange as that may sound. You can't design 100 boss fights (at least it feels like that) and have them all feel interesting. Less is more.

I liked the expansion of side quests in this one, as I did the whole "reputation" system where you can bonuses for doing side quests for characters or giving them bespoke gifts. The gift thing is a bit boring, mostly since you just buy them from Dina.

Great game overall, can't wait for Ys IX. I hope this time directly ported by PH3, not some rando NISA found on the net.
Really hope the Trails From Zero fan translation hits soon. I feel naked without having a Falcom game in my active play list

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
A Tripwire employee wrote on the other forum that they talked about this with Valve and that they were fine with it. Valve really doesn't give a shit about EGS. 🙂
Yeah there's no sign of Valve giving a shit, so it's basically Tim screaming into a wall..

Im happy Obsidian was bought by MS, as it means no more timed exclusive bullshit.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
A Tripwire employee wrote on the other forum that they talked about this with Valve and that they were fine with it. Valve really doesn't give a shit about EGS. 🙂
Already told you all that they have their own plans no matter what, they let devs promote their games even if they want to promote ports for other platforms.

As long as they get the games in the long term, they are fine with everything.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Seeing how well former EGS exclusives are selling on Steam, this makes lots of sense. ☺
But that's not new, you know? Valve has always been more open to give a place to advertise the products the devs want, it wouldn't the first time I see in my library a game update that it's just the switch port announcement, and in my modest opinion? THAT'S ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, I wish more platforms did this cause' it helps devs,

And yes, Valve won't force you to not take the deals but they will try over and over again to get your game whenever the dev wants, they just want catalog but conditions are what devs say, that's why we have a lot of active depots or why Valve has been contacting all the companies over and over again over time, you think they have ignored Ubisoft after leaving? absolutely not, they talk over and over again cause' relationship must be good and connection must be favorable.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
lmao I literally thought they were removing the drills for the safes in game(Like doing a heist, robbing a bank) because laws in real life and I was trying to think of something that fucking stupid

But apparently there's like lootboxes called safes? lol jesus christ apparently I haven't played in awhile
Yeah, I knew about the lootboxes called safes (there was a hubbub back when they added them, because they'd promised to never do something like that, then went and did it) but still thought they were removing the bank safes :D

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
But that's not new, you know? Valve has always been more open to give a place to advertise the products the devs want, it wouldn't the first time I see in my library a game update that it's just the switch port announcement, and in my modest opinion? THAT'S ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, I wish more platforms did this cause' it helps devs,

And yes, Valve won't force you to not take the deals but they will try over and over again to get your game whenever the dev wants, they just want catalog but conditions are what devs say, that's why we have a lot of active depots or why Valve has been contacting all the companies over and over again over time, you think they have ignored Ubisoft after leaving? absolutely not, they talk over and over again cause' relationship must be good and connection must be favorable.
Damn,I hope that they can sort out something with them for a steam release of their games.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

The Steam Client Beta has been updated with the following changes:

General
  • During game install allow the user to pick a different language if they’ve changed the per-game language setting or previously installed the game in a different language
  • Fixed Steam client crash when errors are encountered in audio encoding or decoding when running a game using Steam Voice
Chat
  • Improved the performance of large chat room groups.
Library
  • When viewing game details for a demo, added a section with a link to the main game.
Steam Input
  • Increase responsiveness of Switch Controllers when alt-tabbing
  • Fix some cases where Switch Controllers could lock up Steam on Windows. If you are using a Switch Controller or PS4 controller and experience issues with rumble please make a bug report.
Remote Play
  • Fixed characters being doubled when typing in foreign languages.
  • Fixed regression causing the streaming client to not launch properly on macOS and Linux
SteamVR
  • Fixed incorrectly adding non-Steam app screenshots to SteamVR.
  • Fixed some hybrid 2D/VR games not appearing in the VR UI.
Steam Cloud
  • Fix inability to download files greater than 256MB

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Replaying Xcom Enemy Unknown with the Enemy Within expansion improves the game from a 7/10 to 9/10. I completed the campaign with 2 MECs (Heavy and Assault), 1 Genetic Sniper, 1 Psy Heavy, 1 Psy Support and 1 regular Assault.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Thank you for proving my point!

My character looks whack too... He's a weird mishmash of Revolver Ocelot and Spider Jerusalem (I gave him red/green eyes).
Haha! Yeah you can really get a look going that is like someone one day said, "I'm going to get into cosplay!" and someone asked what style they were going for and the answer was, "Give me everything!" "I want a unicorn horn, a vest with no shirt, the biggest belt you have and pants with as many spikes as you can fit on there!"

Though I will say that screenshot of my character was a design choice I made purposely. :LOL:

It's a custom layered set I made. Normally my hunter would match and look relatively normal otherwise. Here's a few examples of the armor I've got without the layered set on top of it.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
lmao I literally thought they were removing the drills for the safes in game(Like doing a heist, robbing a bank) because laws in real life and I was trying to think of something that fucking stupid

But apparently there's like lootboxes called safes? lol jesus christ apparently I haven't played in awhile
Hahaha, those were my exact thoughts as well.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The precedent has been set, they can take Timmy's money and get their actual sales on Steam with no consequence.

Bummer.
I'm not sure. Hundreds of thousands of people rather waiting a year to play a hyped game than buying it on EGS may set a precedent as well. Time will tell I guess. Personally I'm not buying any games involved in store exclusivity deals. There are plenty of other great games to play on pc.
Ah early saturday morning, freshly brewed coffee and now time for some Divsion 2!:D
I'm so glad for you that you're happy now! ☺
Now they just exclusive for PC/Xbox instead of available everywhere :shrugblob:
With a €70 price tag in Europe 😡

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Just my hipsterism kicking in I guess. I think AC is just okay.
Well, I think AC is just okay too. Yet it's oddly addicting. Comfy. I have really fond memories of AC: Wild World. Meeting up with friends to trade silly stuff like fruit and fashion. Also chasing down balloons in the sky and shooting them for presents lol.

It's like one of those games where you just turn off your brain and go tbh. I think that's what I like about it. It's just chill. The exact opposite of a game like Siege.

Hey, maybe the group chat fix will help ListeningGarden with that issue she raised recently?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Oooh. That thing about responsiveness when alt-tabbing and the Switch controller is great! The driver for that controller has come a long way. Vibration is practically perfect in most games. The only one I found some problems in was MHW because it uses the left and right rotors at different times and intensities on other controllers. I don’t think the Switch controller is capable of that? Or the driver can’t replicate that yet.

I should try writing a bug report for that and some other issues I’ve noticed. Last time I reported something, I got a response and it was patched like two days later.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Hasbro: Baldur’s Gate 3 coming to early access later this year

So during an investor briefing Hasbro said that Baldur's Gate 3 is coming to Early Access in 2020. It doesn't say Early Access on the slide, but apparently it does in the text(I haven't read it myself).

They also have 7 D&D games currently in development, and plan to release at least 1 each year through 2025.

Not sure if I'd want to play BG3 in Early Access... Actually, I would buy it and probably mess around with the character creator but not play the campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.