Community MetaSteam | February 2020 - Marching Towards Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Always wanted to get into this but whenever I play I get turned off by controls + what to do after character creation.
Despite having Sims 1 graphic style* it's one of the deepest sandbox survival sims out there.

I guess your early goals could be to establish a base of operations and then work on sustainability. On normal settings the electricity gets cut off early/mid-game so you want to prep for that eventuality (I think you can toggle this off if you want). Food, water, defenses. Stuff like that.

Or you could be a roamer, scavenging the map and setting up temp. camp from one location to the next.

YouTube should have plenty of Noob Tutorials and/or Quick Start guides.

* I personally find it retro-chic charming as hell

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

Correction: This story originally stated that an Astral Chain PC port was part of the Kickstarter stretch goals for TW101. This was a mistake - we apologise for the error.
Lol.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
You seem agitated and I apologize if my tone put you off.

Going back over my reply does read more caviler than intended. It was more a reaction to the Media Machine who's only interest in the matter is drumming up FUD in order to line their pocketbooks with all those sweet, sweet viewership spikes. I should have been more clear.

On a personal note, as I get older I do start to see patterns in health-crisis events. SARS, HIV, influenza, cholera, meningitis, yellow/dengue fever outbreaks and more have all made the rounds over the past 4 or so decades that I've actually been paying attention. And while every related death is tragic, the pattern of public paranoia, hoarding & hysteria has been the same. Only now we have the 24 hr. cable news & Internet Age amplifying these anxieties x 1000. It's disappointing to see, esp. when you recognize most of those stoking the public fear are not doing it out of concern for welfare. They're doing it to make a quick, easy buck.

Hopefully Covid cycles in and out of the population with as little damage as possible. I understand that its impact is more than nothing.
I know it wasn't anything malicious by you, but mostly seeing nonchalance from a big part of people is off-putting. For the elderly and people with health problems, those cases of paranoia is common sense, is critical for their survival. Only to be killed by a random person who carries the virus and thinks that all of this fear-mongering is bullshit.

traveler: "Should I cancel my trip to Italy?"
random person on the internet: "Dude, it is all overblown, there is basically zero chance that you get the virus."
News stations later: "First new case of Corona virus in Germany, the man came back recently from an Italy trip."

There is no zero chance. someone will get infected, it is quite suicidal to think it won't happen to oneself.

Just ask yourself. Is it fearmongering when the capitalistic system shuts down? Why would they do that? They don't make money if they shut down. Even the Olympics could be canceled or delayed to next year, Japan invested 11 billion into it. Just fearmongering? Who wins here from the fearmonger?

Reactions: lashman

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon announced. It's a rogue-lite dungeon crawler.

Cyber Shadow coming out in the Fall.

Two new games in development at Yacht Club.

Shovel Knight Dig will be out next year.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I am replacing my 5-year-old PC.

Can anyone tell me if my configuration is ok? https://www.mifcom.de/laden/ko5529oa

• GPU and CPU is recommended by Gamers Nexus for mid-range
  • dunno about the motherboard
  • dunno about the case
  • the 240 GB SSD is for system (programs and Windows)
  • the 1 TB SSD is for games
  • the 1 TB HDD is for storage
  • 32 Gb Ram is mandatory, need it for Minecraft, Aurora 4x, and Battletech :Þ (my current 16 GB are not enough for those games)

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
I am replacing my 5-year-old PC.

Can anyone tell me if my configuration is ok? https://www.mifcom.de/laden/ko5529oa

• GPU and CPU is recommended by Gamers Nexus for mid-range
  • dunno about the motherboard
  • dunno about the case
  • the 240 GB SSD is for system (programs and Windows)
  • the 1 TB SSD is for games
  • the 1 TB HDD is for storage
  • 32 Gb Ram is mandatory, need it for Minecraft, Aurora 4x, and Battletech :Þ (my current 16 GB are not enough for those games)
Quick thoughts without researching case, mobo and graphics card:

Buying a 240GB and 1TB SATA SSD makes no sense to me, either go NVMe for system stuff and a few games (500GB if possible) or get a 2TB SATA.

DDR4-2400 is bad, AMD needs faster RAM (Intel too but Ryzen even more so), at least 3000. And preferably 2x16GB to minimize chances of compatiblity problems.

Do you need an X570 board? A cheaper B450 is good enough for most people and you could use the saved money elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Quick thoughts without researching case, mobo and graphics card:

Buying a 240GB and 1TB SATA SSD makes no sense to me, either go NVMe for system stuff and a few games (500GB if possible) or get a 2TB SATA.

DDR4-2400 is bad, AMD needs faster RAM (Intel too but Ryzen even more so), at least 3000. And preferably 2x16GB to minimize chances of compatiblity problems.

Do you need an X570 board? A cheaper B450 is good enough for most people and you could use the saved money elsewhere.

changed to
32GB DDR4-3000 Corsair Vengeance LPX | 2x 16GB
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | AMD B450

But dunno about the SSD, 2Tb SATA is too pricey.
I could go with only 1 TB M2 for system and gaming on different partitions.
1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro | bis zu 3.350 MB/s lesen 189,00€

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
changed to

Hmm. The SSD you picked is unbranded... Isn't that a bit odd?

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
If memory serves, that geyser escape sequence in Ori is supposed to be the most brutal. Or maybe the first serious difficulty wall, I can't remember.

But for some reason I beat that part after multiple, multiple tries.

Then I dropped the game altogether.

I wasn't even bitter. Just felt like I had my fill at that point.

These old bones will be passing on Ori 2.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Eh Ori 1 wasn't for everyone. I have my gripes with it but I can't hate it because I really like various elements of it. As annoying the escape sequences can be, they were pretty neat concept wise IMO.

Anyways, fun fact: Back in 2013-2014, when Shovel Knight kickstarter went up, they were ALWAYS gonna make a fighting style mode

So yeah, the team managed to achieve all that they promised in the kickstarter, even if it took them about 5 years to achieve them, but regardless, I commend them on their efforts :3

Reactions: PC-tan

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
changed to

I wouldn't bother with different partitions.

Another thing, that 1660 is super small which can be useful but the single fan never turns off during idle which for me is a must-have feature.

Take a look at that one. You could sell the RAM, buy a 32GB kit yourself and add a SATA drive. Has a good CPU cooler too while your config uses the stock AMD one. Also a slightly faster CPU, won't make much of a difference but still.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Shows a steam key, but it might be an error on their end.

EDIT: BTW how do some of y'all have Silksong? :O

EDIT2:

It is a steam key, huh...

Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan and xinek

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Can't wait for Ori, I wonder if I'll be able to enjoy it without a pad... I know it's probably anathema but I don't really have access to one.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I know some people didn't like the escape sequences but I thought they were a highlight of the game.
(And I actually played the original ones in the initial release :p)

At the risk of turning everyone against me, the original Ori wasn't that good... It had tons of style but barely any substance.
Hoping the sequel improves the game because at times I almost feel guilty for not enjoying it.
I strongly disagree.
I thought the movement mechanics were second to none in Metroidvanias, and of course it was extremely beautiful as well. Late-game traversal while picking up the last secrets is one of my favourite parts of playing these games so that was awesome in Ori. (And one reason I liked the escape sequences is that they highlighted the traverasal)

Other aspects weren't as great, but still serviceable. I really liked the game overall.

I know it wasn't anything malicious by you, but mostly seeing nonchalance from a big part of people is off-putting.
Personally, I find the overblown fear-mongering / doomsday prepper stuff equally off-putting. The most ludicrous though are the people who apparently have nothing more important going on and seem to be wishing for a deadly pandemic, and when evidence starts to mount that Covid-19 just isn't that their first instinct is to create ridiculous theories about the WHO colluding with China to falsify the numbers. (Edit: I should note that I'm obviously not talking about anyone on here)

Of course following best practices to reduce the spread of the virus as much as possible is important.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
All that's missing from Ori 2 is good regional pricing. Not only that, but the bastards increased it here. Whatever, I'll get it once it's 75% off.

Reactions: lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Hmm. The SSD you picked is unbranded... Isn't that a bit odd?
ADATA XPG looks OK for a budget pick

I wouldn't bother with different partitions.

Another thing, that 1660 is super small which can be useful but the single fan never turns off during idle which for me is a must-have feature.

Take a look at that one. You could sell the RAM, buy a 32GB kit yourself and add a SATA drive. Has a good CPU cooler too while your config uses the stock AMD one. Also a slightly faster CPU, won't make much of a difference but still.
I could change the 1660 to Palit Gaming Pro OC for just 10€ more.

but the Alternate PC looks great. If it had 32GB, I would buy it right now. I am no big fan of reselling parts, so if I go with the Alternate PC, I would just buy another 16gb kit... even if it is 4x8 then.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
If memory serves, that geyser escape sequence in Ori is supposed to be the most brutal. Or maybe the first serious difficulty wall, I can't remember.

But for some reason I beat that part after multiple, multiple tries.

Then I dropped the game altogether.

I wasn't even bitter. Just felt like I had my fill at that point.

These old bones will be passing on Ori 2.
I managed to finish it but yeah, my reactions just aren't what they used to be and i found it a right struggle in places. Really liked the atmosphere and its a beautiful game so ill get 2 at some point.

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
All that's missing from Ori 2 is good regional pricing. Not only that, but the bastards increased it here. Whatever, I'll get it once it's 75% off.
The ridiculous pricing is forcing me to use Xbox Game Pass again and I'm really not looking forward to it.

Earlier I was cleaning out my HDD and saw that Gears 5 was still occupying 100GB+ despite me uninstalling it from the Xbox App months ago.
Had to go through the whole claiming ownership of the WindowsApps folder again just so I could delete it. That's like the third time I had to do this....

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
I could change the 1660 to Palit Gaming Pro OC for just 10€ more.

but the Alternate PC looks great. If it had 32GB, I would buy it right now. I am no big fan of reselling parts, so if I go with the Alternate PC, I would just buy another 16gb kit... even if it is 4x8 then.
Can't find a review of that Palit but it doesn't turn off fans during idle either. Which is very often a sign that the cooling isn't great in general. Dunno. If given exactly those choices I'd go with Alternate and add more RAM, but make sure you're buying the exact same kit again as the one it comes with.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I loved those escape sequences, even if I sucked at them. Took me lots of tries, but I felt great once I managed it.
I probably won't get Ori 2 on release, but I will play it once I am in the mood for some metroidvania game I again
The Ginso tree one was hands down one of the most memorable sequences ever. The escape itself as well as the subsequent events and the cinematography of them.

All that talk of the coronavirus just makes me wish I could play TD1. At this point I've been waiting for a sale so long the game is bound to be the most underwhelming thing ever.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Can't find a review of that Palit but it doesn't turn off fans during idle either. Which is very often a sign that the cooling isn't great in general. Dunno. If given exactly those choices I'd go with Alternate and add more RAM, but make sure you're buying the exact same kit again as the one it comes with.
Thanks for your help :)

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Hero must die. again seems like a cool concept but god damn, some of those female designs are off-putting. I generally don't get too bothered by that stuff but some of these are pretty fucking embarrassing. Maybe I am just old.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
At the risk of turning everyone against me, the original Ori wasn't that good... It had tons of style but barely any substance.
Hoping the sequel improves the game because at times I almost feel guilty for not enjoying it.
I enjoyed Ori, but I have to admit, whenever I try to pick it up again it just makes we want to play Hollow Knight instead. Looking forward to Ori 2, but just gimme Silksong.

Status
Not open for further replies.