Community MetaSteam | February 2022 - Good night, and good luck, Lowly Tarnished

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
After I had failed miserably on my first attempt at Dubai upon launching the game. Other games over the past few years since Hitman 2 have tarnished my perception of, well, AI perception in Stealth games. Yeah so it turns out the AI in Hitman aren't Numbnuts who can't notice you choking-out someone behind them.
Half the fun of gaming is working out if you can remain undetected when shooting someone in the face while another NPC is blinking.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Sorry if I misread your position on Russia then. I still believe it is misguided to put blame here on the West as well, given how truly one-sided this entire affair has been from the very start.
The West has started very extensive sanctions against Russia, cutting it off from much of Western financing. These will hit much harder than anything that happened in 2014 after the annexation of Crimea. On top of which they are supporting the legitimate Ukrainian government with arms and financial support, against a foreign invasion that was entirely unprovoked, unless you are completely brain washed by Russian lies

Saying the West had no intervention in the Cyprus conflict is nonsense. It was NATO intervention (an embargo) that lead to Turkey quickly stopping their attack, and leading to a truce. Without it, who knows how many people could have died there. There is still peace on the island, and at least the chance for a future reunification if Turkish and Greek Cypriots can come to some agreement. That's not saying that this will be easy, but the whole thing doesn't strike me as the West having failed.
And this is why you shouldn't assume you know everything from googling something for 5 minutes. What you refer to was merely an arms embargo that happened after the fact in 1975, ie, two turkish invasions later, one taking over 3% of the island then accepting a ceasefire, the second reaching 36% before accepting a ceasefire, which then led to the expelling of 150000 greeks from their homes in that part to be replaced with turks. You actually link a different embargo that only deals with the now occupied northern cyprus after its declaration of independence years later and doesn't mean much when turkey backs them. Anyway not the time to discuss cyprus' complex history (like many other countries it was the plaything of previous superpowers passed around between them like a joint) but If you consider it all a good solution as it came to be (and is now an "old" situation 50 years later so clearly nothing's going to change to as it was in the past in that regard beyond cyprus potentially becoming united and independent from turkey or similar if people can settle their differences at some point when the memory of the events fades further and if turkey doesn't do something similar again directly or indirectly) then why was I suddenly a putin apologist for saying that it seems like it was a good idea to have worked toward in the past ~decade to have an independent eastern ukrania with the russian speaking & aligned folks, without including an invasion or any killings inbetween? Because any business like that with putin means full support to any crimes he does? He's got lots of dealings with the west, is in the UN, did plenty of business before these embargoes in europe, so I guess they're equally responsible in that sense then, for helping him thrive, if me merely pondering things makes me an apologist. Maybe you can believe the invasion would have happened regardless but Mearshmeier in that video as more of an expert than me thinks otherwise (over Crimea at the time since it's an older video but still relevant).

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
And this is why you shouldn't assume you know everything from googling something for 5 minutes. What you refer to was merely an arms embargo that happened after the fact in 1975, ie, two turkish invasions later, one taking over 3% of the island then accepting a ceasefire, the second reaching 36% before accepting a ceasefire, which then led to the expelling of 150000 greeks from their homes in that part to be replaced with turks. You actually link a different embargo that only deals with the now occupied northern cyprus after its declaration of independence years later and doesn't mean much when turkey backs them. Anyway not the time to discuss cyprus' complex history (like many other countries it was the plaything of previous superpowers passed around between them like a joint) but If you consider it all a good solution as it came to be (and is now an "old" situation 50 years later so clearly nothing's going to change to as it was in the past in that regard beyond cyprus potentially becoming united and independent from turkey or similar if people can settle their differences at some point when the memory of the events fades further and if turkey doesn't do something similar again directly or indirectly)

then why was I suddenly a putin apologist for saying that it seems like it was a good idea to have worked toward in the past ~decade to have an independent eastern ukrania with the russian speaking & aligned folks, without including an invasion or any killings inbetween? Because any business like that with putin means full support to any crimes he does? He's got lots of dealings with the west, is in the UN, did plenty of business before these embargoes in europe, so I guess they're equally responsible in that sense then, for helping him thrive, if me merely pondering things makes me an apologist. Maybe you can believe the invasion would have happened regardless but Mearshmeier in that video as more of an expert than me thinks otherwise (over Crimea at the time since it's an older video but still relevant).
I wouldn't mind a longer talk on this, ideally in its own thread, not here. Let's just ignore this entire Cyprus line of discussion. It's a complex subject that can hardly be covered in a few sentences and you clearly have biases of your own here, and it feels like a pointless discussion when talking about Ukraine.

You are a Putin apologist, since you are taking what is Russian aggression, like starting an invasion of Eastern Ukraine staged by Russian troops in disguise, and frame it like it's something that could be solved by making it into an independent republic. Russia never wanted that, the Minsk agreement wanted to see those properly reunited with Russia but given a veto that would pretty much make Ukraine a vassal state of Russia, since it is they who control those so-called "separatists."
It was then Russia that suddenly declared those regions independent, that suddenly wants to see all of Eastern Europe demilitarised, and then started a war of aggression in Ukraine. That video become pointless the moment Russian boots entered a sovereign nation and started killing civilians. Shifting blame to the West means covering for Putin.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
You don't respond to anything I said (you even say you'll ignore much of it outright because I'm the one with a bias because I refuted your misinformation while giving you the benefit of the doubt instead of call it intentional propaganda and call you an ethnic cleansing and military invasion and illegal occupation apologist) or any of the evidence and thoughts I have presented like said expert analysis which I bet you haven't even attempted to watch because you apparently know everything best already and will go around accusing people instead of debate. Ignored.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Super glad you just went and showed your whole ass by updating your post with links to an opinion piece by a Kremlin apologist and a site that echoes Putin's insane ramblings as a means of better explaining your point of view.

Perhaps this is my own naivety showing, but I couldn't help but feel a deep pang of disappointment that this went completely uncontested and even got liked, alongside other unsympathetic commentary, to put it mildly. Good-bye.
Rather concerning. Considering that one of Russia's major talking points when justifying this war is the denazification of Ukraine (while having very close ties to countless far-right groups all over the world including here in Germany) I find it unacceptable seeing someone linking to very obvious propaganda media while trying to both-side the invasion. And getting upvotes. I'll make use of the ignore-function for now because most here are good people and it's hard to discern what's what when shit hits the fan but, again, concerning.

Last edited:

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!

Deleted member 113

Rather concerning. Considering that one of Russia's major talking points when justifying this war is the denazification of Ukraine (while having very close ties to countless far-right groups all over the world including here in Germany) I find it unacceptable seeing someone linking to very obvious propaganda media while trying to both-side the invasion. And getting upvotes. I'll make use of the ignore-function for now because most here are good people and it's hard to discern what's what when shit hits the fan but, again, concerning.
Sadly, that's nothing new with this user.
He may spend long minutes editing his posts to soften his texts and outbursts, trying to sound clever (I wish people could read all the various edits done to several of the previous posts; I actually had a laugh with some of the many variations written), but he is transparent as day. Always was. But I digress.

But, what was indeed surprising, and quite disappointing, was to see some of the people who liked his posts, one in particular, spreading similar content on social media, more interested in trying to tie the Ukrainian government to far-right movements, or doing the "if it was the US invading people wouldn't care" routine, instead of actually doing the decent thing of condemning the obvious: the unjustified invasion of a sovereign country.

I'll never get this complete lack of empathy for fellow human beings, just because the people doing the atrocities are supposed to share some of your political values.

MetaSteam March 2022 - Ukraine, Prepare To Die edition.
Just... Wow.:steam_pig_scowling:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I noticed when browsing the list that there was a hidden game on there. I turned off my adult filter and something called Escape Dungeon 2 made the top sellers for January.

Now to turn my filter back on.

• Eyes

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
btw this is what I wanted to post a few pages back instead of those cosplayers

I think I preferred the cosplay tweet to be honest.

World's fucked up at the moment (well more than normal) so I am going to bury my head in the sand and play games and read comics (making my way through 5 years of 2000AD I hadn't read).

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
  • Sad

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Oh well, i'll wait for a patch for ELEX II and play it later on. I've enough to go with that it can wait but i do want to get it at some point even if it's not great.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Ouch! I canceled my Elex 2 pre-order. :(
I'll keep mine, gotta support local developers. And international reviews have never been kind to Piranha Bytes' games, I'm sure this one too will find its audience over time, but I honestly expected more polish after such a long development (didn't work out for Dying Light 2 either) and they need to seriously change things up for the next one.

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
Sad news about Elex II but I'm sure they'll work it into fine form

And sad news about some of the posts here from certain folks. I'm not one to judge another's opinion but yikes at some of these hot takes :confounded-face:

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I've been planning to start Dark Souls (Prepare to Die Edition) on PC (to be my first souls game) and I have a question regarding the safety of playing it. I recall learning about an exploit that could allow people to run code on your PC through the game that would then make it possible for them to control your PC, steal logins, brick the computer, etc:

Apparently From Software took down the game servers out of precaution and plan to fix things in the future... Anyway I was wondering, is there any way to play it safely on PC? I just want to play it single player. Is the game even playable? Do you have to connect to servers to play single player? Or is the PVP stuff different? I haven't downloaded it yet, but I was wondering if someone can clear that up?

Btw, is this where DSfix is officially available: DSfix

Or is there a safer site to get it from? I'm not familiar with the modding scene, and I'm obviously late to DS in general.
I looked into this too, because I only own the original. No idea about the exploit, but this guide covers the essentials (you need additional mods because DSfix causes issues with ladders/bonfires): Steam Community :: Guide :: One-Stop Guide to Essential Mods
Additionally you can also download any texture mod you like on Nexus Mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.