Community MetaSteam | February 2022 - Good night, and good luck, Lowly Tarnished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah ER is a catastrophe on my pc. Regular short freezes, bosses are hard mode with it.
Speaking about hard I tried to beat Margrit, failed at it, and did exactly what you shouldn’t do, tried too many times and raged hard instead of going elsewhere.
When I finally regained my senses I discovered that one of the neighboring regions is not that hard and confirmed I am stupid.

That being said I’m now stuck at a boss there, but fuck that, I’m gonna explore. It is nowhere near as hard as Margrit, but he packs a punch nonetheless.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
One of the funny ones that I saw said

Ladder ahead

I followed the path and was greeted with another message saying (oh there is a ladder). The ladder was just a decoration and you couldn't climb up it.

Another funny one is just

"Door" for those doors that don't open

• Eyes

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I have no idea how Margrit is viewed as low level in the wiki. But I guess as they say it depends on the build, as a melee she is a nightmare I’m not ready for and I’m 27 and just downed some major boss in the south.

• Eyes

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Adventures in living room PC land are annoying me. Something about this setup that my boyfriend was using for a while is completely borked. Having MSI Afterburner on with hardware monitoring, or even just opening the task managers performance tab, brings the entire thing to an absolutely unusable crawl. Even when it's working right, it still stutters constantly and struggles when doing pretty basic stuff. Apparently the slowdown with the hardware monitoring might have to do with chipset drivers, but trying to install new ones causes the system to black out the screen. Ugh.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
I have no idea how Margrit is viewed as low level in the wiki. But I guess as they say it depends on the build, as a melee she is a nightmare I’m not ready for and I’m 27 and just downed some major boss in the south.
Playing as a boring tank and 2 handed greatsword build, his attacks is a learning curve that's for sure. Godrick was much easier for me compared to him.

Half of the messages in ER are about putting fingers in butts, the other half are actually quite helpful!
I know I'm gonna miss an illusionary wall because of all the bait messages on walls that's for sure.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
The hardest part of ER is finding a good goddamn dex weapon
I'm not sure if you've explored the castle, but you'll find two important things there. One upgrade found there allows you to change what stat your weapon scales from. That's how you basically get better DEX weapons. I'm playing as a Samurai with DEX build and managed to change two weapons from D -> B DEX in the castle alone.

• Eyes

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
JFC, about time

I am currently replaying Hitman 1 and i am still blown away how good is Sapienza level. That map offers you basically everything. From tunnels to roofs, from option to kill target with a golf ball to target simply coming to you. And it is kinda big level and most importantly feels natural. That level holds so many secrets and it really is one of my favorite levels in video games ever.
Aye, picked up Hitman 3 in the Sale that just ran and intend to do a full series re-playthrough in it before making my way to Hitman 3 content.

After I had failed miserably on my first attempt at Dubai upon launching the game. Other games over the past few years since Hitman 2 have tarnished my perception of, well, AI perception in Stealth games. Yeah so it turns out the AI in Hitman aren't Numbnuts who can't notice you choking-out someone behind them.

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
I've been planning to start Dark Souls (Prepare to Die Edition) on PC (to be my first souls game) and I have a question regarding the safety of playing it. I recall learning about an exploit that could allow people to run code on your PC through the game that would then make it possible for them to control your PC, steal logins, brick the computer, etc:

Apparently From Software took down the game servers out of precaution and plan to fix things in the future... Anyway I was wondering, is there any way to play it safely on PC? I just want to play it single player. Is the game even playable? Do you have to connect to servers to play single player? Or is the PVP stuff different? I haven't downloaded it yet, but I was wondering if someone can clear that up?

Btw, is this where DSfix is officially available: DSfix

Or is there a safer site to get it from? I'm not familiar with the modding scene, and I'm obviously late to DS in general.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I've been planning to start Dark Souls (Prepare to Die Edition) on PC (to be my first souls game) and I have a question regarding the safety of playing it. I recall learning about an exploit that could allow people to run code on your PC through the game that would then make it possible for them to control your PC, steal logins, brick the computer, etc:

Apparently From Software took down the game servers out of precaution and plan to fix things in the future... Anyway I was wondering, is there any way to play it safely on PC? I just want to play it single player. Is the game even playable? Do you have to connect to servers to play single player? Or is the PVP stuff different? I haven't downloaded it yet, but I was wondering if someone can clear that up?

Btw, is this where DSfix is officially available: DSfix

Or is there a safer site to get it from? I'm not familiar with the modding scene, and I'm obviously late to DS in general.
Nexusmod is largest(?) site for mods to download from.

I believe DSfix is for the original version of Dark Souls. If you have Remastered version then it's not needed to use that mod. At least I didn't use it, didn't see any problems playing the game without any mods.

As for playing online or not, since they have taken down the servers, then you don't need to worry for any external users taking control of your computer. I haven't tried to play it myself since the servers were taken offline, so I might be wrong that you can't play the game

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I hope it's over soon with the least casualties possible.

No idea what the outcome may be but in the end common people like us always suffer. After2014'sneo nazi coup that brought down the elected Ukrainian government just to further western/NATO interests at the Russian borders, the whole world should have worked towards an independent Donbas and other Russian speaking territories under the condition they don't join Russia rather than pretend fascists have anything in common with western/EU values (maybe Orban's values) and deserve our support and hand Putin this handy excuse of a marginalized Ukranian Russian speaking peoples under constant threat and embargo from their own so called compatriots and Russia's financial aid the past 8 years being the one thing keeping them from becoming, like Palestinians, hostages in their own cities. I can't believe there were no real efforts for de-escalation, rather seemingly the opposite with how things went down, as if failed US/EU/UK politicians hoped for a war that would unite people against an external threat under their own leadership and banners and justify already derailed economic/energy crises to stop their downhill trajectory after severe failures in each and every field. Fuck wars, this one and all the other ongoing conflicts that have murdered and displaced thousands of people around the world all because some people are greedy and play power games on our backs and we allow it.

It was all a ruse, nothing has changed for mankind the past few centuries, greedy savages as ever.
Super glad you just went and showed your whole ass by updating your post with links to an opinion piece by a Kremlin apologist and a site that echoes Putin's insane ramblings as a means of better explaining your point of view.

Perhaps this is my own naivety showing, but I couldn't help but feel a deep pang of disappointment that this went completely uncontested and even got liked, alongside other unsympathetic commentary, to put it mildly. Good-bye.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Super glad you just went and showed your whole ass by updating your post with links to an opinion piece by a Kremlin apologist and a site that echoes Putin's insane ramblings as a means of better explaining your point of view.

Perhaps this is my own naivety showing, but I couldn't help but feel a deep pang of disappointment that this went completely uncontested and even got liked, alongside other unsympathetic commentary, to put it mildly. Good-bye.
If it's any consolation to you, I missed that posting, and very much disagree with all of it.
It's Russia that's the aggressor here, any line about Ukraine's 2014 revolt being a neo nazi coup is nonsense, the actions in the Donbas region were always just Russian puppets that created an artificial conflict and any talk that it's the West or Ukraine that failed at de-escalation is just victim blaming at this point. Russia has been the aggressor in Ukraine from the day they took Crimea, to the last few days where they killed hundreds of innocent civilians as part of this war of aggression.

What is the most revealing part of this conflict to me is how many on the left are completely unable to think critically about geopolitical things, blame the US for every problem in the world and think that Putin's regime, just by virtue of being opposed to the US, must therefore be the good guys on every issue.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

I thought the Elex II release date would be a really bad idea, given the proximity to ER -- and globally it very well might still be -- but it looks like you can at least rely on Austrians to pick up their dose of Pianha Bytes regardless of circumstances.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Here's an american veteran of the army and air force, prior to his degrees in foreign relations, etc. and one of the most influential realists of our time that might be more to your liking since you find fault with the sources rather than deny what they're saying. He's calling the usa the "benign hegemon" of the world (no bias there), and still manages to find some faults. I guess he's a putin apologist like all the people who have been against every war rather than the closest one.

There's nothing apologetic about condemning war, all wars, putin, but also everyone else responsible for this one and others, ie, beloved west trying to have the moral high ground because the eastern capitalists and imperialists also use their own tactics and because the refugees this time are blonde with blue eyes as Sakvarelidze put it nicely the other day. Pretty hypocritical to call anyone who happens to see more to a situation as a pro-war pro-putin nut.

Several expatriots were already killed by Russia (of course, 2 more of them were also killed by Ukranian soldiers for no reason at all on 14/02 if you care to look that up as possible propaganda alongside other incidents in previous years) and my poor country still has just sent Ukraine provisions in 2 planes.

Ps: I don't know the person in that first tweet, I just looked for that report and that came up, maybe he's a putin apologist, maybe not, the given thread is legit 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
I just managed to clear Marg yesterday (after much wailing and despair, over 20 attempts for sure), and I'm level 30 (I've cleared out most of the first "map"). I'd say its definitely doable at 27, but if you're a melee build it takes a strong knowledge of his attack animations and your own roll's iframes.

If you need some inspiration, have some from beloved GIF purveyor SunhiLegend (playing as what looks like a buff Daenerys Targaryen) :

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and inky

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Here's an american veteran of the army and air force, prior to his degrees in foreign relations, etc. and one of the most influential realists of our time that might be more to your liking since you find fault with the sources rather than deny what they're saying. He's calling the usa the "benign hegemon" of the world (no bias there), and still manages to find faults. I guess he's a putin apologist like all the people who have been against every war rather than the closest one.

There's nothing apologetic about condemning war, all wars, putin, but also everyone else responsible for this one and others, ie, beloved west trying to have the moral high ground because the eastern capitalists and imperialists also use their own tactics and because the refugees this time are blonde with blue eyes as one ukranian put it nicely the other day. Pretty hypocritical to call anyone who happens to see more to a situation as a pro-war pro-putin nut.
Dude, Russia is the one that instigated this war, Russia is the one that made this conflict up. There's no legitimate security concerns that Russia is acting on here, unless you believe they deserve to control all of Eastern Europe. They created this humanitarian crisis out of fucking nothing. Whatever issues the West has, in this situation it's absolutely clear that Russia has the sole blame here, and could stop this war at a moment's notice. All of these dumb takes went from being misinformed to being outright disgusting the moment Russian soldiers started killing Ukrainian civilians in their own country.

Trying to split the difference and blaming both sides on this is just the dumbest thing.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I'm not splitting any difference nor say anything that excuses putin, he's a fascist swine that deserves the worst, again, very hypocritical to imply otherwise. I was still disappointed to see the west do little to de-escalate the situation and then do little to help Ukraine when putin pushed the button, it seems things haven't changed at all since, for example, 1974 with what happened with Cyprus and between two NATO "allies", Turkey & Greece with no intervention. The west might be doing things like have facebook allow the praise of azov battalion for as long as they're killing russians but I won't partake, two wrongs don't make a right. Of course what comes as a first priority (to people at least) is for putin's killings to stop, I never implied otherwise in anything I've said, nor excused even one.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I made a thread for Elden Ring, since I can see myself and others doing quite a bit of posting about it in the coming weeks, and that might become annoying for people not interested in the game:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The war in Ukraine should probably have its own thread too. That conflict has been going on for a long time and will probably go on for another 20 years. People get emotional over it now and it will only get much worse over time. Talking about that stuff will only turn this thread into a hot mess.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm not splitting any difference nor say anything that excuses putin, he's a fascist swine that deserves the worst, again, very hypocritical to imply otherwise. I was still disappointed to see the west do little to de-escalate the situation and then do little to help Ukraine when putin pushed the button, it seems things haven't changed at all since, for example, 1974 with what happened with Cyprus and between two NATO "allies", Turkey & Greece with no intervention. The west might be doing things like have facebook allow the praise of azov battalion for as long as they're killing russians but I won't partake, two wrongs don't make a right. Of course what comes as a first priority (to people at least) is for putin's killings to stop, I never implied otherwise in anything I've said, nor excused even one.
Sorry if I misread your position on Russia then. I still believe it is misguided to put blame here on the West as well, given how truly one-sided this entire affair has been from the very start.
The West has started very extensive sanctions against Russia, cutting it off from much of Western financing. These will hit much harder than anything that happened in 2014 after the annexation of Crimea. On top of which they are supporting the legitimate Ukrainian government with arms and financial support, against a foreign invasion that was entirely unprovoked, unless you are completely brain washed by Russian lies

Saying the West had no intervention in the Cyprus conflict is nonsense. It was NATO intervention (an embargo) that lead to Turkey quickly stopping their attack, and leading to a truce. Without it, who knows how many people could have died there. There is still peace on the island, and at least the chance for a future reunification if Turkish and Greek Cypriots can come to some agreement. That's not saying that this will be easy, but the whole thing doesn't strike me as the West having failed.

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.