Community MetaSteam | February 2023 - A 90's dystopian adventure in the digiworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Inti region pricing is back too? :huhblob:

Gonna grab the game too. Played the demo on next fest and enjoyed it a lot.
I just read that it's more of a Classicvania in structure than a Metroidvania.
I'm still quite excited for it, maybe slightly less so.

And yeah, the pricing is good as well IMO (at least in €).

Reactions: Gintaro

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I think when those opinions whitewash bigotry as their justification for playing a game I can see why someone wouldn’t want to be on here.

Let’s not trivialise this as a difference of opinion. Different people have different experiences of racism and bigotry towards themselves or their family and friends, and when those people are saying “this game has issues” and people leave replies like “fuck tha haters, I’m playing it anyway“ or “you’re just looking for any excuse to hate this game” that can come across as “you or your loved ones matter less than my personal entertainment”.

It’s not just a difference of opinion, it’s got more feelings tied up in it than that, and some people deal with those feelings differently to others.

Personally I’ve been using the ignore function on this forum for the first time since I joined, which in itself is personally disappointing. Naroh has instead chosen to leave - that’s their choice in the end and I think we shouldn’t just be chalking this up to difference of opinion.
I can't disagree with any of this. What I meant is that this was the opinion and behavior of a single person, not from the entire community. I hope Naroh reconsiders leaving and just uses the ignore button instead.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I can't disagree with any of this. What I meant is that this was the opinion and behavior of a single person, not from the entire community. I hope Naroh reconsiders leaving and just uses the ignore button instead.
I think it was a compounding thing. Naroh was clearly frustrated about the wizard game too. That opinion they left over was just the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Last edited:

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
Personally I’ve been using the ignore function on this forum for the first time since I joined, which in itself is personally disappointing. Naroh has instead chosen to leave - that’s their choice in the end and I think we shouldn’t just be chalking this up to difference of opinion.
I've been using the ignore function liberally ever since I got here but I can absolutely understand if the last few weeks were just a bit too much. I've thought of leaving as well but instead decided to just expand the ignore list a bit more - just is what it is...

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I think when those opinions whitewash bigotry as their justification for playing a game I can see why someone wouldn’t want to be on here.

Let’s not trivialise this as a difference of opinion. Different people have different experiences of racism and bigotry towards themselves or their family and friends, and when those people are saying “this game has issues” and people leave replies like “fuck tha haters, I’m playing it anyway“ or “you’re just looking for any excuse to hate this game” that can come across as “you or your loved ones matter less than my personal entertainment”.
This is an incredibly disingenuous framing of what has actually happened.

I'm going to use the royal 'you' here so this is not directed at you personally but I'm assuming you will block me anyway (or already have, so whatever).

and when those people are saying “this game has issues”
That's not what they're saying though, is it? What they're actually saying is that "this game has issues and you are a bad person if you buy it". Don't leave that part out. If you buy Hogwarts then you are racist, bigoted, anti semitic, transphobic, homophobic. If you get Atomic Heart you are a supporter of genocide, murder, rape and now racist too. People who think like this have lost their tether to reality. They go around making websites designed for targeted harassment of streamers who have the audacity to stream the game and think they are the good guys. They go around posting spoilers for the game everywhere just to ruin the experience of those who are playing it and think they are the good guys. This is insane behavior. This is why people have now turned against you and go "fuck tha haters".

can come across as “you or your loved ones matter less than my personal entertainment”.
This goes the other way as well. When you tell someone not to buy it then you are saying "my issues with this game (or any product) should matter more to you than anything". Why do you think that is okay? Understand that you will never be the arbiter of morality for anyone other than yourself.

I've said this before; we all buy or skip products for various reasons. It's fine to do so. It's fine to talk about why you're doing so. But to demean and denigrate people who do not behave like you tell them to is caustic and obnoxious behavior, especially in the context of video games.

Dec 5, 2018
E:
  • Mystery Fest: February 20 - 27
  • Spring Sale: March 16 - 23 (major seasonal sale)
  • Puzzle Fest: April 24 - May 1
  • Sports Fest: May 15 - 22
  • Next Fest: June 19 - 26
  • Summer Sale: June 29 - July 13 (major seasonal sale)
  • Stealth Fest: July 24 - 31
  • Visual Novel Fest: August 7 - 14
  • Strategy Fest: August 28 - September 4
  • SHMUP Fest: September 25 - October 2
  • Next Fest: October 9 - 16
  • Return of Steam Scream Fest (Halloween): October 26 - November 2 (additional details to come)
  • Autumn Sale: November 21 - 28 (major seasonal sale)
  • Winter Sale: December 21 - January 4, 2024 (major seasonal sale)

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I just read that it's more of a Classicvania in structure than a Metroidvania.
I'm still quite excited for it, maybe slightly less so.

And yeah, the pricing is good as well IMO (at least in €).
I want it, but I don't want another thing to add to the pile, especially with Octopath 2 coming out tomorrow.

Also the regional pricing is pretty good. The only region that was completely hosed is Taiwan, but compared to other games it could be much worse.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
This goes the other way as well. When you tell someone not to buy it then you are saying "my issues with this game (or any product) should matter more to you than anything". Why do you think that is okay? Understand that you will never be the arbiter of morality for anyone other than yourself.

I've said this before; we all buy or skip products for various reasons. It's fine to do so. It's fine to talk about why you're doing so. But to demean and denigrate people who do not behave like you tell them to is caustic and obnoxious behavior, especially in the context of video games.
I also have to agree with this. Racism, transphobia and the invasion in Ukraine ARE disgusting, and I understand that this are sensitive topics for certain people. But I don't see buying Atomic Hearts or Hogwarts as a "message" that you approve these things. It would have been different if there was actually racism or transphobia in these games, but here isn't. On the contrary, the fact that there's a trans-person in Hogwarts can be considered a huge middle finger towards Rowling, even while this is probably done to minimize criticism.

This said, no matter what my opinion is about this matter, respect should come from both sides in a discussion. I have been VERY vocal about certain practices and companies that I don't like in the games industry. And I know that some/many of you don't share these thoughts. But as long as you respect my opinion, it's fine for me, it really is. It's just about games.

It would have been different if the discussion was actually about racism, transphobia or the Russian invasion in Ukraine, and people would have been defending these practices. But that's not what happened here...

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Valve posted a schedule of their upcoming sales & fests for this year.
Steam Sales & Fests Schedule for 2023
  • Mystery Fest: February 20 - 27
  • Spring Sale: March 16 - 23 (major seasonal sale)
  • Puzzle Fest: April 24 - May 1
  • Sports Fest: May 15 - 22
  • Next Fest: June 19 - 26
  • Summer Sale: June 29 - July 13 (major seasonal sale)
  • Stealth Fest: July 24 - 31
  • Visual Novel Fest: August 7 - 14
  • Strategy Fest: August 28 - September 4
  • SHMUP Fest: September 25 - October 2
  • Next Fest: October 9 - 16
  • Return of Steam Scream Fest (Halloween): October 26 - November 2 (additional details to come)
  • Autumn Sale: November 21 - 28 (major seasonal sale)
  • Winter Sale: December 21 - January 4, 2024 (major seasonal sale)

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Can't we just drop this racism, transphobia or even wars discussion? It's getting dark in the this already small community. Can't we just accept that people can buy whatever they want without judging them for anything. Can't we just enjoy whatever games we play without being judged by anyone?
You're completely right.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I don't think anyone needs any legitimate justification to play a videogame. Like others have said, we have our own reasons to play or avoid a game. I have a fair share of games that are on my boycott list, and some of them are extremely popular on here, but I have never been vocal about my sentiment (I can, but I would rather not) or asked people to stop playing them. At the end of the day, they are just videogames. They are meant to be tools for us to find enjoyment in life.

Meanwhile, I am also not stopping others for being vocal. Take a glance at the top left corner: "No admins. No mods. A forum of equals". Have something to speak? Speak freely. Want to avoid a topic? Hit the ignore button. That is the spirit of this forum, and I believe it is also the reason why many people consider this place as their home for videogame discussion.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Can't we just drop this racism, transphobia or even wars discussion? It's getting dark in the this already small community. Can't we just accept that people can buy whatever they want without judging them for anything. Can't we just enjoy whatever games we play without being judged by anyone?
Agreed.
While I think it should be encouraged to inform others about specific games having either problematic elements or problematic people involved in them, I think informing is all that should be done, anything else should be left to each person and they shouldn't be judged for buying/playing said games.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Grim Guardians: Demon Purge works perfect on deck.

I would like x800p resolution and PlayStation prompts but other than that very nice.
Lol, when I saw that second screenshot my first thought was "Ahh, those Japanese and their wacky penchant for naming stuff in random foreign languages. Interesting that it's now German this time"

.... but after seeing the first one I guess that's just what you have it set to :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
Lol, when I saw that second screenshot my first thought was "Ahh, those Japanese and their wacky penchant for naming stuff in random foreign languages. Interesting that it's now German this time"

.... but after seeing the first one I guess that's just what you have it set to :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Yep XD, the game is MULTi10 language with japanese and english voices. I usually play in spanish with japanese voices.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I agree, but I also reserve the right to judge Bethesda and its fanbase.

You all know what you did!

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Swansong is coming to steam finally? I would really love to know how many copies it sold on EGS. From what I remember the reviews were not particularly great, but in the absence of Bloodlines 2, I might give it a shot anyway..

Sons of the Forest, I remember being extremely excited with The Forest trailers like a decade ago, then waiting half a decade for it to come out, then waiting another few years for it to come out of early access...only to never actually play it. And now I wonder if I should bother or just wait for this sequel to come out of EA and try that.

• Shrug
Reactions: Ge0force
Status
Not open for further replies.