Community MetaSteam | February 2024 - Let's bring democracy into the zone with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
just gonna repost this here since it's important info (imho)

Epic Games laid off 800 employees in September in what CEO Tim Sweeney called a “survival move” that would allow the company to continue to pursue its metaverse initiatives. Speaking to IGN, multiple former employees suggested the financial situation Epic found itself in stemmed from a pattern of irresponsible spending on initiatives that didn’t seem to have a clear strategy behind them, from a rash of acquisitions to Sweeney’s ongoing metaverse dreams. Then, when it came time to account for that spending to investors, the company seemed confused as to how it had gotten there in the first place and started encouraging individual employees to find ways to cut costs.

“A lot of that turned into people eliminating waste, especially things like servers and storage that didn’t need to be running, or at least could be scaled down,” said one current employee who was there in 2023. “I don’t know how much money was ultimately saved but it wasn’t uncommon for people to be finding millions of dollars of waste - pretty reasonable IMO when you’ve got a game as big as Fortnite, this stuff can easily be overlooked and it’s not like it’s really killing the company."

At the time, they said, Sweeney told employees Epic was taking actions specifically to avoid layoffs, including cutting everyone’s quarterly bonuses in half. They also recalled being told the company had billions in the bank, and could weather the storm. Then in the summer, raises and promotions were delayed after performance reviews. And shortly after, the layoffs happened. No amount of waste removal had managed to save 800 Epic employees from Sweeney’s self-described “unrealistic” belief that Epic could spend more than it made in order to build a metaverse. Nor has the loss of 800 employees appeared to have changed Sweeney’s unrealistic belief. Just days ago, Disney purchased a $1.5 billion stake in Epic Games to fund a “persistent, open and interoperable ecosystem” that incorporates the two brands. It’s an extraordinary amount of money…five months too late to help the people who needed it.
Shocker.

I'd suggest reading the whole article as it covers mismanagement across the entire industry. Just as an example: Immortals of Aveum had a $125 million budget ($85 million for dev costs and $40 million for marketing).

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
PCGamingWiki has this version listed for the older Atelier games:
I've tried this late last year on Atelier Ayesha, seems to work well, and (probably) a better alternative to Lily's Atelier Graphics Tweak.

Sadly, none of these two solutions seems to work with SpecialK, so no HDR injection for Atelier games for the immediate future, I'm afraid.

Reactions: Mivey

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
The first time I actually qualify for some in person user research for Sega and Blizzard is the weekend my wife is getting dental surgery and I can't fuck off and go play videogames for several hours. Sadness. Oh well, they would not have liked my feedback on D4 probably lol. Idk what Sega wanted tho.

Infinite Wealth is still really fun, but uh... I need some non spoiler answers for when you get whatever mingame it is that gets you a shitload of money cause there's so much I want but it's sooooo expensive. Anyone got deets on how far I need to get to unlock whichever game breaks the economy?
All you need to do is finish the Dondoko Island minigame (that you will want to do anyway, because its sooooo addictive. Harvest Goon, baby!). Its in... Chapter 5 i think?

Finishing all five "star levels" of that minigame gives you roughly 500K USD, and sets you up with the structure to earn even more money by playing a couple of "days" every once in a while.

You can turn that 500K USD into a bunch of good armor and relatively OP weapons, pay off the upgrades for the forge, pay the tuition for all the entrance exams, unlock all the jobs, etc. Very useful!

Reactions: QFNS

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Sadly, none of these two solutions seems to work with SpecialK, so no HDR injection for Atelier games for the immediate future, I'm afraid.
There's a chance there may be another solution for HDR in the future for NVidia RTX cards users, a recent driver included a yet not released HDR feature, and users made a mod to be able to use that feature, seems to work better than Windows auto HDR:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Sweet price on American Truck Simulator bundle.
Look at the DLC coverage...
Are you fucking allergic to the north east of the USA, dev ?

I... uh... would have liked to haul trucks in Lovecraft country.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
In case you want to see more of the TR remasters, this video's got you covered. They actually added lip syncing to the in-game cutscenes. You can also see the upscaled FMVs and how modern controls work

It's beautiful
I'm very excited the TR remasters, TR2 and TR3 were games that I played a lot back in the day.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I'm so glad I waited with Cold Steel 3 until the Crossbell games were officially out. Knowing these characters really adds a lot to my enjoyment, even though that knowledge isn't "necessary" to follow the story.
Hell, I even recognize NPCs from way back from Sky, lol (Orvid from the mushroom sidequest in Sky was just casually around at one point - completely inconsequental, but it made me happy).

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm so glad I waited with Cold Steel 3 until the Crossbell games were officially out. Knowing these characters really adds a lot to my enjoyment, even though that knowledge isn't "necessary" to follow the story.
Hell, I even recognize NPCs from way back from Sky, lol (Orvid from the mushroom sidequest in Sky was just casually around at one point - completely inconsequental, but it made me happy).
Was also my experience, except I played the fan translations from Geofront. Having played the previous games just adds another level to these games and it's great that at this point any fan can play the entirety of the Trails series in release order.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Ever since Street Fighter 6 came out, I've been getting real sick of tuesday night maintenance. Every week like clockwork I'll forget it's tuesday, hop on immediately after work and get booted out of the game about an hour later. Why can't they do this shit in the middle of the night on the week-end like normal people?! :negative-blob:

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Ever since Street Fighter 6 came out, I've been getting real sick of tuesday night maintenance. Ever week like clockwork I'll forget it's tuesday, hop on immediately after work and get booted out of the game about an hour later. Why can't they do this shit in the middle of the night on the week-end like normal people?! :negative-blob:
Probably because no one that runs the Steam infrastructure wants to be up once a week in the middle of the night so they do it during their normal hours when they're in the office and since Valve isn't run like a normal business there's no one to tell that team no.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
IMHO this is something that could and should be fixed by a better technical solution. There's no fundamental reason the whole thing needs to be down each week (or ever). But of course, re-engineering the entire system to make that possible would probably be far from trivial.

On a more positive note regarding Steam and networking, I just installed a relatively large game on the Steam Deck that I already have on my PC and again automagically hit 950+ MBit/s via local transfer. That still feels great every time.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Probably because no one that runs the Steam infrastructure wants to be up once a week in the middle of the night so they do it during their normal hours when they're in the office and since Valve isn't run like a normal business there's no one to tell that team no.
What gets me is that they do it near the end of the day (around 3PM Seattle time). Normally any maintenance would be done outside of business hours but in Steam's case, it actually makes more sense to do it while people are at work and are less likely to be gaming.

I mean, with Steam's global user base, they're obviously always going to hit some regions at a time that sucks but there's no reason for them not to do it first thing in the morning or something like that. There's no way that 3PM on a tuesday is a time that they've determined to have the least impact on their user base lol.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Do any of you UK people know any cheaper package forwarding company that uses Royal Mail?

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
There's a chance there may be another solution for HDR in the future for NVidia RTX cards users, a recent driver included a yet not released HDR feature, and users made a mod to be able to use that feature, seems to work better than Windows auto HDR:
From the Nexusmods page:

Driver 531.18+ & WDDM 3.1 (Win11+) are required. (the optional tweaks ASI has only been tested with 551.23)
Not really keen on upgrading to Win11. I guess it's going to be years before I can have a go at it. :flare_lmao:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
TR Remaster has no graphics options that I could see...like, none.

and the action button for grabbing onto ledges seem broken in modern controls....which is a big issue for some jumps. It works for picking up things, and Lara does hang onto ledges automatically when you just vault up to something, but jump+cling doesnt work as far as I could try it so far

Maybe Im missing something – I hope I am; otherwise I hope they fix it asap :)

nevermind; I did miss something; she will grab ledges with left mouse click instead of E. bit weird, but okay :)

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
"Regarding first-party software, we aim to continue to focus on producing high-quality works and developing live service game. But while major projects are currently under development, we do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year (ends March 31, 2025) like God of War Ragnarok and Marvel's Spider-Man 2. Although the burden of acquisition related costs will ease next fiscal year, we expect profit from first-party software to decrease slightly from this fiscal year due to the impact of the decrease in sales. Due to this, operating income for the next fiscal year is currently expected to increase slightly from this fiscal year. However, while this our baseline, we are reviewing measures for further improvement in profitability in advance of the annual forecast results announcement this May."
It's time to pump out those PC ports Sony!!!

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Tomb Raider remastered looks lots of fun on the deck. But I want to play Helldivers 2 as well as soon as the crashes are solved. And I have a huge backlog + several Switch games for Ryujinx. Oh and I'm watching all 10 seasons of Stargate SG1 again as well.

Tldr; I need 48 hours in a day instead of 24. :(

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I don't know if I said it here before but Sony will hit same roadblock that MS did. Issue with MS wasn't amount of consoles sold, they would need to make same decision if there are 100M Xbox consoles there. They are simply selling game to same limited market since PS2 era and gamendev costs went significantly up. That is unsustainable, and that is what Sony is now facing. Developing 1st party AAA game costs at minimum $500M. To break even you need to sell 8-9M copies at 70$ without sharing cut. To make $500M investment make sense you need roughly $700-800M in return and that is 13-14M sold copies. How many games sell that amount of copies at full price?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I don't know if I said it here before but Sony will hit same roadblock that MS did. Issue with MS wasn't amount of consoles sold, they would need to make same decision if there are 100M Xbox consoles there. They are simply selling game to same limited market since PS2 era and gamendev costs went significantly up. That is unsustainable, and that is what Sony is now facing. Developing 1st party AAA game costs at minimum $500M. To break even you need to sell 8-9M copies at 70$ without sharing cut. To make $500M investment make sense you need roughly $700-800M in return and that is 13-14M sold copies. How many games sell that amount of copies at full price?
Can’t argue there. For their market to be sustainable they need to scale back budgets or expand audience.

But part of the first party allure is they’re prestige games. It used to be that said prestige games did not need to be profitable because they were hardware differentiators, but I think those days are past given the size of the budgets.

And if they do scale back budgets, the fans will cry foul. So releasing outside the captive audience is the next step. Alas, the fans will also cry foul at that too.

But I just don’t see a way that this stuff is sustainable in the long term otherwise. And even then it’s quite dicey.

I think fanboys need to ask themselves a question. Do they love the plastic black box, or the games?

Status
Not open for further replies.