Community MetaSteam | February 2024 - Let's bring democracy into the zone with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Multiplat is just a bandaid for the real problem anyway. You can put everything on PC day 1 and all that does is buy you a little extra time on the current path, but eventually budgets will get high enough that even the couple million extra sales that gets you won't be enough. This industry is a car speeding towards a cement wall and all this will do is extend the road a little more.

Sooner or later these companies will be forced to downsize the scope of these games in some way and it looks like they're choosing the "later" option.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Oh man Eastward is on my wishlist but this is seriously putting me off. There are games where I love just talking and talking to NPCs mind you, I'm a relatively new convert to CRPGs for example and those are full of that but the more forced and railroaded it is the harder it is I find it to care.

Its funny, I thought AAA game looked unsustainable way back in the PS360 era, its amazing it managed to balloon even more since then.
Depends what you like in Zelda I guess, they do have decent puzzles and good bosses, but the exploration and the progression (despite getting new items, health upgrades, etc) is just not here since it's so linear and mostly flat.
And the global tone is dark and really post apo, but a lot of NPCs are more upbeat and vaguely funny... so even the setting doesn't really work so well.... big disappointment for me.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Multiplat is just a bandaid for the real problem anyway. You can put everything on PC day 1 and all that does is buy you a little extra time on the current path, but eventually budgets will get high enough that even the couple million extra sales that gets you won't be enough. This industry is a car speeding towards a cement wall and all this will do is extend the road a little more.

Sooner or later these companies will be forced to downsize the scope of these games in some way and it looks like they're choosing the "later" option.
Its a shame too. During the PS4 era we got a lot of smaller scale titles in between the giant blockbuster releases, and it did well for them too. Until Dawn, Detroit, and Ratchet and Clank all did really well and it feels like they just decided to do less AA titles and just put that money into ballooning their blockbusters for minimal returns.

Now their big titles are $300m+ and it just feels like a waste. I loved Spider-Man 2 and all that but did they really need to put that much into it? We're at a point now where if a game flops for one reason or another its going to hurt more, which means Sony is gonna take less risks and just stick to their formula. We're getting less titles and Sony's approach to padding out their lackluster release schedule is buying up timed exclusivity for 3rd party games.

So boring.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
so last Sony's CEO new statement are saying something we already knew, just upgradre your PC and buy Switch 2 on the next gen.
Sony and Microsoft are becoming third parties.

Last edited:

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
so last Sony's CEO new statement are saying something we already knew, just upgradre your PC and buy Switch 2 on the next gen.
Sony and Microsoft are becoming third parties.
I wonder how long it will take for emulators to be made for the switch 2. If I remember correctly it only took a couple of months to hack the switch and then get Yuzu off the ground and running.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This is devastating. The guy was trapped at Konami for so many years
He made 3 great games at Konami then left in 2002 as he had stayed a decade and his goal was to move on after that long. Only bad thing is his removal from the 3rd game's credits because he left just before its release or something like that. Sucks, he was too young and a great creator, RIP.

Reactions: QFNS

valkyries

Jan 17, 2024
Seeing how beautifully the Tomb Raider collection runs on the Steam deck I'm literally dreaming about a Resident Evil Classics and Silent Hill trilogy collection. That would be amazing
Good to hear. I think I'll try the Tomb Raider Collection.

Reactions: Ge0force

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
That was mostly because of a hardware design flaw. I have a hard time believing they'll make the same "mistake" again, but who knows really.
That's right (the same happened with PSP first firmware that wasn't encrypted and was hacked before international release), but I think if like the lastest rumours say Switch 2 will be compatible digital and physical with Switch 1, and taking in consideration flashcard already exists, hackers could take advantage of it. Time will say.

• Eyes
Reactions: moemoneyb1

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Its a shame too. During the PS4 era we got a lot of smaller scale titles in between the giant blockbuster releases, and it did well for them too. Until Dawn, Detroit, and Ratchet and Clank all did really well and it feels like they just decided to do less AA titles and just put that money into ballooning their blockbusters for minimal returns.

Now their big titles are $300m+ and it just feels like a waste. I loved Spider-Man 2 and all that but did they really need to put that much into it? We're at a point now where if a game flops for one reason or another its going to hurt more, which means Sony is gonna take less risks and just stick to their formula. We're getting less titles and Sony's approach to padding out their lackluster release schedule is buying up timed exclusivity for 3rd party games.

So boring.
Yeah I'm not sure what the answer here is because some of the smaller games like gravity rush flat out bombed but most of sony's studios are not set up to do smaller games and they may not even want to. Like if you have a 500 person studio they all need to be doing something, so maybe the answer is multiple smaller scale games but then you run into the question...do the devs WANT to do that? Like do the people at naughty dog strike you as people who want to do anything but push the tech limit further and further? You risk a talent exodus if you force limitations on them but at some point they're probably going to have to do exactly that.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make these decisions.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Seeing how beautifully the Tomb Raider collection runs on the Steam deck I'm literally dreaming about a Resident Evil Classics and Silent Hill trilogy collection. That would be amazing
Pre rendered backgrounds wouldn't work so well with that model.
Tons of old series deserve a remaster adapting them to modern times though.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah I'm not sure what the answer here is because some of the smaller games like gravity rush flat out bombed but most of sony's studios are not set up to do smaller games and they may not even want to. Like if you have a 500 person studio they all need to be doing something, so maybe the answer is multiple smaller scale games but then you run into the question...do the devs WANT to do that? Like do the people at naughty dog strike you as people who want to do anything but push the tech limit further and further? You risk a talent exodus if you force limitations on them but at some point they're probably going to have to do exactly that.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make these decisions.
I believe that there are always people in the studios who want to work on something smaller. For example Ubisoft let people at Ubisoft Reflections to make Grow Home and Grow Up and helped them publish it (even on Steam without any Uplay integration if I remember correctly). And that was some smaller project few people at the studio worked on. Also main issue is management (both project and studio management). Insomniac has crazy output compared to other Sony studios. And they are same or smaller that some other ones like ND or SSM.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

Yeah I’m not saying Sony should go out and force their blockbuster studios to do smaller titles alongside their main stuff or anything. But they have multiple studios with extensive history working on multiple small projects alongside their big titles (Insomniac, Santa Monica, Bend) and most of their breakout titles from last gen were from 3rd party studios they don’t own anyway. (Until Dawn, Detroit, Bloodborne)

I mean we’re literally seeing a AA 3rd party developed game from them do gangbusters right now with Helldivers 2 lol, I wish sony would do stuff like that again but it seems like their main focus with third party collabs is timed exclusive deals on games that would have existed without them, rather than them funding titles from the ground up.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Talking about Falcom games, yesterday I implemented a world first (AFAIK) in-game graphics setting in Daybreak (will be in the English release).
Whatever it is, I'm sure it has already been done in a C64 demoscene product.
few decades ago

• Evil
Reactions: Durante

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I believe that there are always people in the studios who want to work on something smaller. For example Ubisoft let people at Ubisoft Reflections to make Grow Home and Grow Up and helped them publish it (even on Steam without any Uplay integration if I remember correctly). And that was some smaller project few people at the studio worked on. Also main issue is management (both project and studio management). Insomniac has crazy output compared to other Sony studios. And they are same or smaller that some other ones like ND or SSM.
The insomniac efficiency thing you mentioned is ironically because their games are much smaller than ND/SSM's games however they still are so high budget that they are unsustainable. The last ratchet was a $100m+ game while we all know the comically large numbers SM2 and 3 are. So even 15-20 hour games are too unsustainable at the current trajectory but we know most people won't buy 7 hour games anymore (certainly not anywhere near full price).

Also this is more of an aside but I think the insomniac efficiency is really overrated by people. Spiderman 2 took longer to come out than GoW ragnarok did and that's despite it being about 30-40 hours shorter AND reusing most of the same map from the first game. Their advantage was having another team to make a smaller game (ratchet) but like I said that smaller game was still over $100m to make so does it really solve the problems we're talking about?

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
The insomniac efficiency thing you mentioned is ironically because their games are much smaller than ND/SSM's games however they still are so high budget that they are unsustainable. The last ratchet was a $100m+ game while we all know the comically large numbers SM2 and 3 are. So even 15-20 hour games are too unsustainable at the current trajectory but we know most people won't buy 7 hour games anymore (certainly not anywhere near full price).

Also this is more of an aside but I think the insomniac efficiency is really overrated by people. Spiderman 2 took longer to come out than GoW ragnarok did and that's despite it being about 30-40 hours shorter AND reusing most of the same map from the first game. Their advantage was having another team to make a smaller game (ratchet) but like I said that smaller game was still over $100m to make so does it really solve the problems we're talking about?
They also made Miles Morales that is bigger asset reuse than 2. And Spider-Man games are doing great but what it makes them not so good for Sony is basically Disney cut. And they are efficient as studio compared to the rest of Sony studios. Sucker Punch for example took 6 years to make GoT. Is it good game? Yes. Does it feel like something that was 6 years in development? Not really. Also I didn't play new GoW but didn't it reused a lot of from GoW 2018 too? But I still stand with my comment about management, I believe that big part of longer dev cycle is management.

Reactions: lashman

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
A website was just launched for the Valve Prism, a standalone VR headset:

[H2]Power and performance you can see[/H2]
We worked with AMD to create the Valve Prism's custom APU, optimized to maximize performance where it matters most in VR titles. Powered by AMD's Zen 4 + RDNA 3 architecture, we're able to deliver a high-quality PC VR experience in a fraction of the power of a full PC. Everything we learned from building Steam Deck is on full display in Prism.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

This video is probably the best explanation as to why I find Persona 3 to be underwhelming compared to Persona 5. There are so many ideas that come off as silly and you oftentimes feel like an observer to the world instead of directly influencing it. There's also some nitpicky stuff like no awakenings outside of the protagonist's and side characters being lame.

It's not that Persona 3 is bad, but Atlus learned and refined a lot of things before knocking it out of the park with Persona 5.

I bought it. I haven't installed it

Sadly fake. The copyright information at the bottom is typed "Vaive" with the "I" being capitalized. Also the domain was registered today.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

Is that real?
The APU would have to be custom, and it seems difficult to envision running PC VR on it in (without a PC connection). And if that doesn't work well, then you're putting a whole lot of compute into it for no reason.

Reactions: QFNS

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Sadly fake. The copyright information at the bottom is typed "Vaive" with the "I" being capitalized
Definitely sus. I double-checked it myself. The SSL certificate wasn't issued by Digicert and doesn't have EV like any other Valve's sites. :flare_lmao:

As an example, steampowered.com has all the details required for an EV.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Imagine going to all that effort to make a fake. Why not just play some games or do something actually constructive?

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
The posts that state they'd abandon their consoles suddenly (for PC) if they lost their exclusives feel like some weird threat. If the only reason you're there is because they have to artificially restrict maybe two handful of great games over a generation then you should be celebrating, not decrying it.

In other news, I finished my Baldur's Gate 3 campaign a couple weeks ago. In just 338 hours too! I've been meaning to write something up about it. In the meantime I'll just say that Lae'zel is the best companion.

I've also been playing Dragon's Dogma for the first time. I just finished the base campaign (saw credits). It's fantastic. I'm about to start Bitterblack Isle here soon. Mystic Knight is a lot of fun.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
So Tomb Raider Remastered... looks great, runs great (duh), has absolutely no options of any sort.

Modern controls are absolute garbage, maybe the worst I've ever seen in an action game, and more importantly, they don't work. As in Lara's training in her house? I don't think you can actually complete it since modern controls have no side step or back step, and lock a lot of movements to having her guns out (which you can't do in this case).
Just to hang off a ledge, you have to press shoot, then get close to the ledge, and then press roll to drop.
Oh and of course, not a single one of those movements will be explained to you ingame, not even in menus.

Absolutely baffling decisions all around, and I would consider it barely playable in many parts (beside the ones that are literally unplayable)... and that's without even mentioning how most items are almost invisible in remastered visuals, and it will trip you up.

So huh... mostly a disaster? At least the tank controls work like they should...

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
So Tomb Raider Remastered... looks great, runs great (duh), has absolutely no options of any sort.

Modern controls are absolute garbage, maybe the worst I've ever seen in an action game, and more importantly, they don't work. As in Lara's training in her house? I don't think you can actually complete it since modern controls have no side step or back step, and lock a lot of movements to having her guns out (which you can't do in this case).
Just to hang off a ledge, you have to press shoot, then get close to the ledge, and then press roll to drop.
Oh and of course, not a single one of those movements will be explained to you ingame, not even in menus.

Absolutely baffling decisions all around, and I would consider it barely playable in many parts (beside the ones that are literally unplayable)... and that's without even mentioning how most items are almost invisible in remastered visuals, and it will trip you up.

So huh... mostly a disaster? At least the tank controls work like they should...
Not sure what are you referring to, I managed to complete the house tutorial without issues. Although the movement does feel 'slippery'.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
About TR I II III Remaster, I launched it just to try and chech how it was running and I ended spending some hours with it. I haven't played a classic TR game in years and one of the worries I had was about was about how it could handle. Initially I thought about using the modern controls but after spending some minutes in the tutorial the memory of how it played just came back!

I started with the first game as it was one that I barely played back in the day. It's incredible how those games still gives me a sense of wonder and discovery, be it by wandering through a level or by solving a puzzle.

The remastered graphics are nice and they help bring the game to a modern audience even though the old graphics have some kind of charm to them. Still about the graphics, one thing that I disliked about the graphics is how there are no indication about strong currents in the water, but when switching to the original graphics the effects arr there. I'm not sure it t's a bug or not, bug I hope they fix it.

Overall so far it's been a nice comeback to a series that made part of my life

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Yeah unfortunately youre absolutely correct about the modern controls, I mentioned also that I struggled to find out how to grab ledges (there is a "secondary button" that lets you do that)
The camera was also a nightmare in places, getting stuck and spinning weirdly (while swimming in the second level of TR1). I dunno what they were thinking; none of these issues seem like they shouldve gone through QA, and I hope they fix it asap. I was looking forward to playing these games with a modern control scheme, but as it is now, its better to play with tank controls...and I hate tank controls.

———

With Palworld quickly approaching the 1-month mark, it's interesting to look back at my own thoughts for launch.

In May of 2023, I was convinced that Palworld could break the 50,000 player mark. Anything above that seemed unobtainable though, and I certainly never expected it to reach into the millions.

It has taken years to get to this point, and Palworld only really begins from here. Everyone is working hard to fix the issues and prepare new content and Pals. Some of you may have had your fun over the last 3 weeks and found yourself putting the game down. That is fine.

This emerging "Palworld has lost X% of its player base" discourse is lazy, but it's probably also a good time to step in and reassure those of you capable of reading past a headline that it is fine to take breaks from games. You don't need to feel bad about that. Palworld, like many games before it, isn't in a position to pump out massive amounts of new content on a weekly basis. New content will come, and it's going to be awesome, but these things take a little bit of time.

There are so many amazing games out there to play; you don't need to feel guilty about hopping from game to game.

If you are still playing Palworld, we love you. If you're no longer playing Palworld, we still love you, and we hope you'll come back for round 2 when you're ready.

Play lots of games, try different genres, and frequently flick through indie libraries to find hidden gems.
—Bucky, Pocketpair Community Manager

I find this a good post, since I always get somewhat annoyed by these "oh, nobody is playing this game anymore" posts; they are based on this weird assumption everything is a live service or continuous game. It IS fine that games have limited content; have a definitive end. Not every dev has Fortnite mines that will churn out content regularly, not every game needs to be the next WOW, not every game is meant to be played forever...thankfully!

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I'm afraid we're entering a "damned if you do damned if you don't" phase. Developers/publishers want game prices to go up but in doing so they are spending more on games so the product can "justify" being 70 or even 80 bucks. On the other hand this ends up increasing dev time, and so budgets, which feeds into the need to exctract as much money from customers as possible. But lowering graphical fidelity only works if you also lower the price (which publishers are trying to avoid as it hurts the ip price perception, see Ubisoft) and there is also no reason to believe the game will actually come out faster (just look at how much time it's taking for Silksong or Deltarune to come out)
Customers are also getting tired of spending a lot for playing "samey" games (big budget cinematic experiences with full voice acting in big open world filled with leveling and crafting). But then other genres are seen as "lesser" (2D games even with 3D graphics should cost less. Arcade style games should cost less. Genres I don't like should cost less) so they end up not buying those either regardless of quality
Is the only solution going back to the drawing board and start from scratch, releasing smaller quality titles at faster intervals while growing your fanbase with WoM? It worked for Larian but it sure as shit didn't work for Mimimi Games despite them releasing 3 high quality games in a starved genre
Everything feels like it's becoming a gamble and I'm 100% serious about it. No one would've seen Palworld exploding like it did, but similarly I never thought Persona 3 Reload and Like a Dragon IW to also beat records despite being 70 bucks with a 100+bucks Ultimate Edition and not being the usual popular genre. Granblue Fantasy Relink was also a surprise as the game had everything against it (especially the long dev time). Customers are completely unpredictable at this point, and unfortunately this is now the true big issue with game dev: if a game takes 5 to 7 years then it's impossible to know if you will actually have a user base with how quickly customers change their mind. For the sake of the industry games need to come out faster but this requires both developers and customer to work together and accept smaller budgets and prices

I think its possible Larian figured it out. Or maybe partially figured out the correct formula.

AAA Early Access should pretty much be the future as budgets for these games balloon into ridiculous $$$ territory. Its gonna be the safest and most appropriate way to release big games. Its seems to be a way to do it without both running out of money as a dev and prevent interest in your game from completely dying out over the many years it takes to build it.

It reminds me a bit with how Kojima did MGSV pushing out Ground Zeroes first as an appetizer. And then the main course a year later.

Or even how Valve did the Half-Life 2 episodes. They clearly didn't do episode 3 but it didn't sink the company. and they still managed to do something for the fans with episodes 1 and 2. Its better than nothing at all. That could be an example of what failure looks like for future AAA games. While MGSV and BG3 are the success stories.

An incomplete story in a game is still better than a company going under and devs losing their job.

Tho I personally don't want games to be episodic. More like Larian did by releasing 25% of the game and few years later drop the rest without charging people 60$ again. Use your community and all the feedback to build a great game. If the early slice you release is loved by everyone then its almost guaranteed you have a winner. And if the initial feedback is negative then you know exactly what to fix. And the overall negativity will minimal since your game is labeled as early access and your die hard fans know its not a completed game yet.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Not sure what are you referring to, I managed to complete the house tutorial without issues. Although the movement does feel 'slippery'.
I started right back in TR2 since I've completed TR1 not long ago.
And it's an absolute nightmare. Since you can't back step nor side step, you have to take running jumps and haphazardly do more than the tutorial asks you to - not making it impossible to complete fully but... the tutorial not being a tutorial but trying to apply a movement set that is not explained to you ingame because the remaster simply removes movements?

Yes, I will call that a complete disaster.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Or even how Valve did the Half-Life 2 episodes. They clearly didn't do episode 3 but it didn't sink the company. and they still managed to do something for the fans with episodes 1 and 2. Its better than nothing at all. That could be an example of what failure looks like for future AAA games. While MGSV and BG3 are the success stories.
I think Valve could have easily funded a Half Life 3, and kept working on it for years, if they really wanted to. They have no monetary pressures, as they are no investors demanding profits and they have an endless source of money. That's more specific to Valve not being interested in doing iterative sequels. Each new game has do bring something new to the table and I believe at the time they were also more interested in live service games (about a decade before it really caught on with the rest of the industry)
I started right back in TR2 since I've completed TR1 not long ago.
And it's an absolute nightmare. Since you can't back step nor side step, you have to take running jumps and haphazardly do more than the tutorial asks you to - not making it impossible to complete fully but... the tutorial not being a tutorial but trying to apply a movement set that is not explained to you ingame because the remaster simply removes movements?

Yes, I will call that a complete disaster.
Given how others seem do be fine, this sounds more like a "you" problem. Which is absolutely fair! But I have seen others do some really complex move with the modern controls and not struggle much with it. The most tricky thing, from what i have seen, is the "long jump", where you can use a back-step do get the distance just right before the running start

Status
Not open for further replies.