Community MetaSteam | February 2024 - Let's bring democracy into the zone with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Given how others seem do be fine, this sounds more like a "you" problem. Which is absolutely fair! But I have seen others do some really complex move with the modern controls and not struggle much with it. The most tricky thing, from what i have seen, is the "long jump", where you can use a back-step do get the distance just right before the running start
My point is... it's not an opinion but a fact? There are moves simply missing from modern controls. Outright.
Of course, you can compensate with crazy diagonal jumps that break some parts of the level design (and it's not like you have a choice), but I've never heard of any remaster or remake that makes the controls worse and don't even bother explaining to the player anywhere but on the bloody website.

Of course, the tank controls are still here. With the new visual bugs like misplaced textures, removed effects and lacking animated textures but that's another problem.

I mean, curtesy to lashman
Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered's modern controls are an absolute travesty

It's not like I'm the only one feeling like this.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
My point is... it's not an opinion but a fact? There are moves simply missing from modern controls. Outright.
Of course, you can compensate with crazy diagonal jumps that break some parts of the level design (and it's not like you have a choice), but I've never heard of any remaster or remake that makes the controls worse and don't even bother explaining to the player anywhere but on the bloody website.

Of course, the tank controls are still here. With the new visual bugs like misplaced textures, removed effects and lacking animated textures but that's another problem.

Hmm, I wasn't planning on purchasing this soon, but now I want to mess with the modern controls in this game myself. Maybe I'll bite

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
yeah indeed, I see plenty of people complaining about the modern controls, as welll, reviews and steam forums are full of it; and people being confused about how to do certain things because the modern control set doesnt provide options for all the precision jumping and stepping the game needs.

Reactions: QFNS

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com

I thought I was seeing things lol. Why can't I make this work? I can't be messing up this bad in Lara's house - its the effin tutorial right?

I literally couldnt do some of the moves Lara was calling out in the gym, lol.

I tried toughing it out some more in the first level until I gave up halfway through and switched to tank, way better. OG Tomb Raider is a game of precision, and the "modern controls" are too wonky for you to stand a chance, particularly if you've never played these games before.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
What a bummer reading about the modern controls in TR Remaater, I may prefer the original tank ones but I feel for the people who want to play with the modern ones.

Not explaining the modern controls in her house is a major oversight.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I thought I was seeing things lol. Why can't I make this work? I can't be messing up this bad in Lara's house - its the effin tutorial right?

I literally couldnt do some of the moves Lara was calling out in the gym, lol.

I tried toughing it out some more in the first level until I gave up halfway through and switched to tank, way better. OG Tomb Raider is a game of precision, and the "modern controls" are too wonky for you to stand a chance, particularly if you've never played these games before.
Yeah, it's an issue that they don't explain... and that you physically cannot do certain moves in her house because you don't have your guns yet!
The button to grab a ledge is shoot btw. And to hang off a ledge, it's press shoot first, then go toward the ledge, and then the roll button to drop down.

Oh and those buttons are different between modern and tank controls. :neutral-face:

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
The new TR controls always sounded weird to me because of how deeply connected to the game's design the tank controls are. Classic TR is all about putting you in situations where you have to make extremely precise jumps so without any changes to the game proper like in TR Anniversary I'd imagine it'd get really messy really fast.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Finished Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth after 84 hours. I didn't grind the dungeons or anything else but probably did most of the side content just by roaming around to complete all the bond stuff and explore all the areas. I'm still missing things like Sujimon and Dondoko stuff and I didn't level any but the default jobs. The combat was fun but it was still all easy like most JRPGs where you barely have to use any items you've been hoarding or more than a few attacks and skills, strategy wise. I lost 2 or 3 times to some crowned enemies I shouldn't have attempted yet and never at a real boss or other segment meant to be tough. The final bosses in particular were pushovers, I never even crafted the top tier weapons for my characters, always postponing it as too expensive previously and after wasting materials to upgrade lesser stuff to +15 or +30 I wouldn't be able to upgrade them.

Epic game, 9/10 but I kind of expected the ending to go more all out, Gaiden's ending was much more moving despite the smaller stakes. Sure, thinking about all that happened and how some characters old and new grew it's got huge impact on many but presentation wise they could do more and they should show way more of that impact and the consequences beyond the main cast's eventual return to normal life. Also, Haruka looks so weird here, between a child and small person, something's way off with her model and with her son she looks like a sibling, not a mom in her late ~20s.

I'm disappointed in aspects but I still played it nonstop for 84 hours and it did not feel that long at all so yeah, it's an epic game.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I think its possible Larian figured it out. Or maybe partially figured out the correct formula.

AAA Early Access should pretty much be the future as budgets for these games balloon into ridiculous $$$ territory. Its gonna be the safest and most appropriate way to release big games. Its seems to be a way to do it without both running out of money as a dev and prevent interest in your game from completely dying out over the many years it takes to build it.

It reminds me a bit with how Kojima did MGSV pushing out Ground Zeroes first as an appetizer. And then the main course a year later.

Or even how Valve did the Half-Life 2 episodes. They clearly didn't do episode 3 but it didn't sink the company. and they still managed to do something for the fans with episodes 1 and 2. Its better than nothing at all. That could be an example of what failure looks like for future AAA games. While MGSV and BG3 are the success stories.

An incomplete story in a game is still better than a company going under and devs losing their job.

Tho I personally don't want games to be episodic. More like Larian did by releasing 25% of the game and few years later drop the rest without charging people 60$ again. Use your community and all the feedback to build a great game. If the early slice you release is loved by everyone then its almost guaranteed you have a winner. And if the initial feedback is negative then you know exactly what to fix. And the overall negativity will minimal since your game is labeled as early access and your die hard fans know its not a completed game yet.
Has this been working out for SE with FFVII Remake?

Also it does have some danger as well. Look at the Walking Dead guys. Didn't they close down because of episodic stuff? People would wait until it's all out and buy it very cheap.

But maybe that an outlier and more to do with those were the only types of games they made and heavily relied on. Dotnod did Life is Strange that was also episodic but that was also published by SE and they are not the sole developer of those games as well. Which is why they are still around.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
The new TR controls always sounded weird to me because of how deeply connected to the game's design the tank controls are. Classic TR is all about putting you in situations where you have to make extremely precise jumps so without any changes to the game proper like in TR Anniversary I'd imagine it'd get really messy really fast.
Yep. I knew this would happen as soon as it was announced, changing the control scheme is just not a easy task with how pixel perfect many jumps are. Those games level designs are built around a set grid best navigated with the consistency of the tank controls, The original devs even said they tried implementing something like it in the sequels but they couldn't get it to work and so abandoned it.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

—Bucky, Pocketpair Community Manager

I find this a good post, since I always get somewhat annoyed by these "oh, nobody is playing this game anymore" posts; they are based on this weird assumption everything is a live service or continuous game. It IS fine that games have limited content; have a definitive end. Not every dev has Fortnite mines that will churn out content regularly, not every game needs to be the next WOW, not every game is meant to be played forever...thankfully!
This post is incredible.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I started right back in TR2 since I've completed TR1 not long ago.
And it's an absolute nightmare. Since you can't back step nor side step, you have to take running jumps and haphazardly do more than the tutorial asks you to - not making it impossible to complete fully but... the tutorial not being a tutorial but trying to apply a movement set that is not explained to you ingame because the remaster simply removes movements?

Yes, I will call that a complete disaster.
I switched to tank controls to understand more your point and I think I get it. With tank controls I was able to get the achievement for the tutorial, which makes me thing certain moves are not being recognized on Modern controls.

Reactions: lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
what a pointless "podcast"
They need a big event with millions of eyeballs on them to really deliver the message.

So they probably just decided to wait until their big GP showcase in May or June to really hammer it down. By then the Switch 2 should be announced so it will be easier for them to market the new ports.

All signs point to Sea of Thieves, Pentiment and Hi-Fi rush as the rumored ports. The 4th game could be Starfield or something else actively in development like Hellblade 2.

Edit: I guess games like Pentiment and Hi-Fi rush could easily run on the current Switch so it wouldn't be too surprising if they get announced at the next Nintendo Direct. Now that I think about it that Grounded game from Obsidian would be a good candidate to go multiplatform too.

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Why wouldnt you use tank controls? Thats how the games were designed.
That is true...well, it was true for 1996-98, but for these remasters they said they added an alternative, more modern—or rather, more fluid—control scheme. So I naturally expected those to work as well. Because apart from improved graphics, getting rid of tank controls was the thing I looked forward to the most in this remaster. Because I played the old TR games back in the 90s and never liked their controls (this is true for several 90s games with archaic control schemes). And finding out that tank controls are the better options in the remaster and modern controls are inferior ... is a bummer. If they had said "we're not adding alternative control schemes", I would've hesistated more before buying
I had hoped for a control scheme akin to TR Underworld or TR 2013 ... now, I hope they at least add a couple of buttons (or modifiers—like a strafe button on shift, maybe) to the modern control scheme to make up for its shortcomings. I think a mix of control schemes could work for these remasters.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Impressive. Threads of hundreds of pages and rampant speculation for this
Because everyone knows this is the opening of the floodgates. They did the same thing with their PC rollout ages ago you can even find old articles where Phil says "it's just these few games we're not bringing everything to PC day 1" and...well you saw what happened. Only now it's with all the other consoles including their arch rival. They didn't risk all this PR damage to get 5000 more sales of Pentiment and leave it at that. This is the period where they ease everyone in and get them used to being multiplat and you do that with games that really don't matter much like these.

Personally I think they should just rip the bandaid off and be done with it instead of having to deal with these kinds of blowups every year as more and more bigger things start going over to playstation but MS seems like a glutton for punishment with how they run things. A part of me even thinks they may actually believe it when they say it'll be just these 4 games.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
I suppose Phil will close his sns when big games and not just those 4 titles, start deliver to PS5 and Switch cause xbox fanatics backslash. This podcast was just future damage control. To announce those 4 games even without naming them wasn’t necesseray when there’re some other Microsoft games on other consoles f.e. like Minecraft.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Are there actually well made mouses or is everything as shit as Logitech ?
There is the infamous 'double click' issue looming over every Logitech mouse, but these days my mouse wheel has a tendency to go in the opposite direction I input. Reading Logitech QA faq a couple months ago, I guess I have to air spray the mouse wheel because some dust went in.

My logical conclusion, this is all well and good, but in the year of our lord 2024 is there really no better offering ? Something I don't have to dust off every other month ? Something that won't double click after some years ? A. FUCKING. WELL MADE. MOUSE.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Ok GTA 3, GTA San Andreas and GTA V physical PC versions are secured and they are safe and sound at my friends house. Yesterday I ordered Vice City from UK to be delivered to package forwarding company (because seller didn't want to send it directly to me XD) so we will see how that will go. Next week I will look to order GTA IV version that is in that thick box (even though I already have it in classic DVD box). Then only thing left is GTA, GTA London and GTA 2 collection that is bit challenging to find and it is more expensive. All other games I got basically for 8-15$.

It is sad that PC never got RDR2 physical version.

Reactions: PC-tan

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I'm at the tail end of Persona 3 Reload. Good game, but Persona 5 is better in nearly every way. However I can say P3R has significantly better pacing. Persona 5 is just a downright slog at points.

Because everyone knows this is the opening of the floodgates. They did the same thing with their PC rollout ages ago you can even find old articles where Phil says "it's just these few games we're not bringing everything to PC day 1" and...well you saw what happened. Only now it's with all the other consoles including their arch rival. They didn't risk all this PR damage to get 5000 more sales of Pentiment and leave it at that. This is the period where they ease everyone in and get them used to being multiplat and you do that with games that really don't matter much like these.

Personally I think they should just rip the bandaid off and be done with it instead of having to deal with these kinds of blowups every year as more and more bigger things start going over to playstation but MS seems like a glutton for punishment with how they run things. A part of me even thinks they may actually believe it when they say it'll be just these 4 games.
In the near term, I think Microsoft's console strategy will be like Sony's PC strategy, but on a faster time table. Multiplayer focused games will have day one releases on PS5 and Switch 2 while the single player games are Xbox and PC exclusive for 6 to 12 months. There may be a point where every Xbox published game is multiplatform day one, but that's probably several years away.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Still tempted by Timberborn and Soviet Republic. Despite not liking Anno I'm still really into management, board game feeling, Wuselfaktor., etc.

• Gib
Reactions: Kyougar and lashman

Big McLargehuge

God Cleaver
Dec 8, 2018
Are there actually well made mouses or is everything as shit as Logitech ?
There is the infamous 'double click' issue looming over every Logitech mouse, but these days my mouse wheel has a tendency to go in the opposite direction I input. Reading Logitech QA faq a couple months ago, I guess I have to air spray the mouse wheel because some dust went in.

My logical conclusion, this is all well and good, but in the year of our lord 2024 is there really no better offering ? Something I don't have to dust off every other month ? Something that won't double click after some years ? A. FUCKING. WELL MADE. MOUSE.
I've stopped buying Logitech mice because they always end up double clicking and/or having deteriorated rubber grips after about a year.
Planned obsolescence GARBAGE :minos_trash:
The best mouse I've ever owned, and one I still use even after 7 years of use, is the Mionix Naos 7000.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Still tempted by Timberborn and Soviet Republic. Despite not liking Anno I'm still really into management, board game feeling, Wuselfaktor., etc.
I am also interested in Timberborn
I already endorsed Soviet republic to you a few days ago. Just have to add, that unless you want to start on the easiest mode and start every few hours anew, the best thing is to simultaneously play with a lets player. (best with a second monitor)
I followed one on realistic mode (the hardest) from the start and he explains everything. A Tutorial series with the same map is a good starting point.
The series is in German, though.

• Hug
Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
The last person that actually worked on Disco Elysium got fired yesterday.

His statement on the matter

“It's the people on top – the motherf*****s in sailing shoes and bowties – that f****d Harry, f****d Kim, f****d Robert, Rostov, Helen, Olga, Cash, f****d Elysium, f****d you and me too. They are not artists, they are professional f*****s,” he said

Status
Not open for further replies.