Community MetaSteam | February 2024 - Let's bring democracy into the zone with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
Sony most successful game

Released in 2015, Fate/Grand Order has remained a fan favorite among mobile game users, surpassing $7 billion in cumulative revenue by the end of 2023. Despite being on the market for over 8 years, it continues to hold its position as the second most profitable mobile game in the highly competitive global turn-based RPG market in 2023, outperforming many newly released games in its genre.
Sensor Tower APAC Awards 2023 Winners

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Awful. Its like a fucking stampede for all these publishers to get rid of employees. Hopefully it stops after Q1 ends.

Really sometimes I forget EA even exists anymore. Don't care much for Respawn, FIFA or Battlefield.

There is nothing I am looking forward to from them except Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

And it seems like those 2 games have been in development forever now.

I swear I must have played like dozen great new RPGs since EA first teased Dreadwolf wtf.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Seeing these layoffs only reminds me of my predicament right now. I was laid off from the consultancy that I was working at back in December. I am blessed to still be able to live with my parents, there are many of these folks who are in much more precarious circumstances. I hope they can find something soon.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Played Dark Forces a bit. the new 2D scenes are weird, I prefer the old more static pixel art on that (but neither is great). The 3D rendered stuff are quite nice though. The higher res sprites and textures are nicer but not a must, still nice pixel art though rather than something like the Tomb Raider remasters' all new high res textures on top of blocky geometry. Bloom looks nice. It does have some minor extra content goodies TFE I believe doesn't.

Shame you can't quickly toggle or specify each specific thing you want in more detail unless I missed that.

The Force Engine sourceport had quick saves, this release doesn't so you have to finish missions in one go (but it's pretty short and might be made too easy with them, there's an unfitting lives system normally actually, I think upon dying you respawn with the level itself having kept the progression/switches/whatever and you can find extra lives and stuff, I dunno, it's not really a very hard game for all this to matter).

I'd say cheap classic release + TFE is equal value to this so if the price's too high for you no big reason to go for it tbh, other than to support Nightdive and more such classic releases since not every game is lucky to have sourceports like TFE. Bloom has been added since I played that 2 years ago, I confirmed it.

When they announced it I thought they'd deal with TFE guy and use it + add the new stuff but I guess not, still the end result is super similar.

Last edited:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I think the most interesting news from the recent spread of layoffs was EA flat out admitting licensed games are untenable going forward. The common theme from gaming in the last few years was that games are too expensive so we have to rely on licensed IP they're the only safe bets. Now they're realizing "oh...we forgot we have to pay these things called license fees and those get higher too". Disney in particular seems like a real ball buster to deal with between the EA news and the insane sm2 budget leaks (think disney's cut was around $100m alone).

I really don't think these so called smart businessmen that run these companies look further than the year in front of them. The smart thing to do now would be to reinvest into a bunch of new IP at AA scale (divvy up your teams as needed since you don't need 1 400+ person team for these games) and then if any take off you can ramp up as needed. But we'll probably get like 1 big new AAA at most.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
It will be interesting to see how will companies like Disney respond. They want to get into the gaming but they didn't want to maintain studios. Now that big 3rd party publishers don't want to deal with licensing due to high cost they will need to do something.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It will be interesting to see how will companies like Disney respond. They want to get into the gaming but they didn't want to maintain studios. Now that big 3rd party publishers don't want to deal with licensing due to high cost they will need to do something.
Isn't this why they partnered with Epic? They made a HUUGE announcement a few weeks ago about it.

Also it might be why we will never see Kingdom Hearts on Steam.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
While I’m pretty happy with Yakuza 0, it’s the only game I’m playing right now and I feel good about it, I must say that I really don’t remember Yakuza 1 vanilla having a combat system this bad. Most of the moves I unlocked yet are fucking nothinburgers, combats are button mashing fest and the camera is doing its best to fuck the player over.
Really rough.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
They partnered for "metaverse" sh*t. Epic is not developing games outside Fortnite and that Fortnite creative mode ever again.
I'd imagine that there is still some licensing stuff that is making Disney money or something. Unless by some weird miracle, Epic is convincing Disney to pay them to make all of that Disney Meta verse stuff.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Any thoughts on the games in this bundle?

• The Universim
  • Above Snakes
  • Trailmakers Delux Edition
  • TerraTech
    • TerraTech: R&D Labs
  • Necesse
  • From the Depths
  • My Little Universe

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I’ve noticed on a few other sites/social media I’ve been skimming that a lot of the discourse around PlayStation games on PC - and the strangely passionate denial around what’s going to happen in the next few years - is from hardcore Nintendo fans who deep down know what’s coming in the next decade.

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
I’ve noticed on a few other sites/social media I’ve been skimming that a lot of the discourse around PlayStation games on PC - and the strangely passionate denial around what’s going to happen in the next few years - is from hardcore Nintendo fans who deep down know what’s coming in the next decade.
Nothing is set in stone. Nintendo is always a management change away from putting games on PC.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I wrote Metaphor being my most anticipated game in 2024, but now that SMTVV is happening, I am not going to get Metaphor soon because Atlus is totally going to release a new version within a few years.
SMTVV was exclusive to a single platform, so they're making a new edition for all platforms (though no dlc/upgrade option for switch is dumb), but seems like for P3R at least they may be taking a DLC approach instead of having a separate new edition? If this is true, hopefully this is the approach they start taking in the future.

From a SEGA/Atlus leaker:
Persona 3 Reload will receive DLC containing The Answer in the future. Please wait for more information at a later date.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
SMTVV was exclusive to a single platform, so they're making a new edition for all platforms (though no dlc/upgrade option for switch is dumb), but seems like for P3R at least they may be taking a DLC approach instead of having a separate new edition? If this is true, hopefully this is the approach they start taking in the future.

From a SEGA/Atlus leaker:
I hope it is true but not too confident because Persona 5 was also a complete new release. :shrugblob:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
More Tomb Raider differences. Looks like Epic's build has the undulating wavy quicksand/swamp/whatever stuff folks had noticed as missing in the remasters.

Also the water current direction showing. Gonna wait for the patch, some of this makes a difference. Lack of communication is weird, how hard is it to acknowledge this and just say sorry folks, we fucked up, we're working so the builds will be synchronised by x week. Not to mention folks reporting all the problems probably makes it harder for them to identify issues if so many things are already fixed, like the out of place painting textures I mentioned the first day.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
More Tomb Raider differences. Looks like Epic's build has the undulating wavy quicksand/swamp/whatever stuff folks had noticed as missing in the remasters.

Also the water current direction showing. Gonna wait for the patch because some of this makes a difference. Lack of communication is weird, how long can it possibly take them to acknowledge this and just say sorry folks, we fucked it up somehow, we're working so the builds will be synchronised by x week. Not to mention folks reporting al lthe problems probably makes it harder for them to identify issues if so many things are already fixed in another build, like the random painting textures I mentioned the first day.
Some people suggested they are some dev tools, like a console available on the Epic build. Can you confirm? That would suggest that someone accidentally released a beta version in the EGS version. That seems like the most reasonable explanation to me, but then it's strange how Aspyr isn't correct their mistake. I suppose it just takes a long time to update EGS builds, if it's not fully automated

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
No. Aspyr is incompetent and pushed the latest build on EGS while every other platform is running behind. The Steam test builds are getting constant updates so I don't know what the holdup is.
Console certification most likely. I remember during the release of the first DLC for SRW30 there was a nasty bug that removed a specific unit from your rooster. From steamdb you could see the pc patch was ready to go after a few days but they still released it at the same time as the PS4 and Switch patch

Reactions: Arc

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Nintendo is one failed system away from putting games on PC.

Don’t have handheld to fall back on when their console fails anymore.
That's a big if though. Wii ran out of steam (heh) by 2009. Switch hasn't slowed one bit.

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
They'll probably be fine even if their next system is a GBA or 3DS level success rather than the killing Switch made. And if they're still portable then they aren't gonna fall harder than that. And if they aren't still portable then they can fall back on making a portable again next. I wouldn't hold my breath for PC ports. Hell, their big games sold fine on WiiU. They could cruise by with just that sort of thing even if they lost all 3d party support for lack of success and try again next gen.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I don’t think we can look at historical Nintendo failures and how they bounced back from them as the basis for how they may bounce back from a future failure.

I agree it’s not likely that their next system will be a failure, even if it doesn’t live up to the Switch’s success, but I still think their position is more precarious than people think.

I don’t think a GameCube or Wii U level failure for a future system would be tolerable, given the success they’ve had with the Switch and the fact that they currently don’t have anything to fall back on other than their films, which quickly lose relevance if kids aren’t picking up the latest Nintendo console.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

Embracer Group will sell Saber Interactive to a group of private investors in a deal worth up to $500 million, according to a Bloomberg report citing a person familiar with the transaction.

The deal will see Saber Interactive become a privately owned company with around 3,500 employees. The company plans to continue developing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic – Remake after being moved from previous developer and Saber Interactive subsidiary Aspyr in 2022.

The sale will be one of Embracer Group’s biggest moves yet in its ongoing cost-cutting initiative that has resulted in various layoffs and studio closures.

Saber Interactive is the parent company of the following Embracer Group subsidiaries: 3D Realms, 34BigThings, 4A Games, Aspyr, Beamdog, Bytex, Demiurge Studios, DIGIC Pictures, Fractured Byte, Mad Head Games, New World Interactive, Nimble Giant Entertainment, Sandbox Strategies, Slipgate Ironworks, Shiver, SPL, Snapshot Games, TripWire Interactive, Tuxedo Labs, Zen Studios.

According to the report, the $500 million deal includes an option for Saber Interactive to bring along multiple Embracer Group subsidiaries.

Representatives for both Saber Interactive and Embracer Group declined to comments when contacted by Bloomberg.

Random comment:
Gearbox next please

Jason Schreier:
Stay tuned

Random 2:
I just want to know why Volition wasn't given the same opportunity.

Jason Schreier:
They actually were but it fell through

Random 3:
To be clear, I assume this is the entirety of the Saber Interactive publishing division, including teams moved under them like 4A Games and Tripwire Interactive?

Jason Schreier:
Most but not all AFAIK. Specifics aren't clear yet

Last edited:

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.