Community MetaSteam | February 2024 - Let's bring democracy into the zone with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The one when she says "I miss it... the steel sky"? Why though I liked that line :c
Apparently it was localised, but the original line was about her not liking the sky.

Apparently it ties in to something in Rebirth so the English translation needed to be made more literal.

A shame, because as you said, it was a great line. But that’s what happens with localisation sometimes.

I’m sure this’ll be weaponised against more liberal rather than literal localisations, but the writers should really stipulate the importance of lines like that if a literal translation is needed.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Layoff sucks.

I wonder if going forward if people are letting younger people, especially those in highschool and college about all of this.

I was too young in 2008 when the whole economy was terrible. Was it this bad, was it a whole lot worse? What happened?
I started really working for the first time back in 2008. and from my memory it was a lot worse than today.

Because actual industries were collapsing back then (automotive, banking, housing). It was crazy but yea still young you don't really have many bills to pay.

The gaming industry is kinda bulletproof for the most part when it comes to bad economy, recessions etc. Similar to other entertainment industries. Because people will get fired and less games/movies etc get made until they see that people have money to spend again. They know how to pull back without fully collapsing.

But it does seem like some of these industries are boiling hot again (like housing,renting) so who knows what happens in the next few years.

Reactions: PC-tan

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Every day there is another reason to just buy Indie games.

Reading about all the big studio bs makes me sad.
Indies are basically all I play, and have been that way for almost 15 years now, and it's much better and rewarding to just give money to a small team with a niche idea or a solo madman that managed to release a game than to a faceless corporation and their execs that only care the bottom line is black and not red, but this isn't the answer as even in indies the budgets and scopes are ballooning out of control and also need to be reassessed and scaled back.

It will take the joint effort of creators and players to stop this madness before everything implodes. You don't need millions of polygons per character, you don't need gigantic maps, you don't need expensive hollywood actors to voice your game, etc, devs need to put their foot down and audiences need to learn to be reasonable.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
Indies are basically all I play, and have been that way for almost 15 years now, and it's much better and rewarding to just give money to a small team with a niche idea or a solo madman that managed to release a game than to a faceless corporation and their execs that only care the bottom line is black and not red, but this isn't the answer as even in indies the budgets and scopes are ballooning out of control and also need to be reassessed and scaled back.

It will take the joint effort of creators and players to stop this madness before everything implodes. You don't need millions of polygons per character, you don't need gigantic maps, you don't need expensive hollywood actors to voice your game, etc, devs need to put their foot down and audiences need to learn to be reasonable.
I feel like awkwardly cutting costs by handing off more and more stuff to AI is probably a lot more likely at this point than voluntarily scaling things back

• This!
Reactions: lashman

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
The Switch really showing it's influence here. Those screenshots are ASS. (And not the good kind.)

To be fair, they gave 14 year old Tifa an undershirt.

And they also changed Aerith’s last line in the game.
I'm fine with it. Just hate it when years old thing gets patches that breaks mods/fan work to improve it.

It's always a coin-toss if the modder will go back to fix/update it.

• Bonk

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I feel like awkwardly cutting costs by handing off more and more stuff to AI is probably a lot more likely at this point than voluntarily scaling things back
AI generally costs more because 1) it’s fucking expensive and 2) it doesn’t work how you want it to work and a human has to fix it.

AI can help with scale, but it isn’t fixing any of the issues the games industry is currently facing and anyone who thinks it will is in for a rude awakening.

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
It's always a coin-toss if the modder will go back to fix/update it.
Gladly It already exists the mod that restores the altered content, just took few hours.It was on NexusMods for hours, (now down by admins but up on other based (XD) mod sites).

With all those layoffs on gaming industry, I'm surprised Squenix's ethics department still exists and hasn't been dismantled.

Last edited:

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Out of the 3 big console players, Nintendo is the one that I hate the most. The most anti-consumer and anti-preservation company out there. With their piece of trash tablet console with Roblox graphics. Their developers are talented, but their old-ass Neanderthal-thinking executives and their constant attack against emulation or any kind of fan project that is inspired by their IPs really annoys me. I understand going against Yuzu with the fact that they can emulate your game right away. But if it were up to Nintendo they would remove the ability to even emulate Circus Charlie... a game from 1986.

Sorry for the rant

PS: I hope the Switch 2 flops lol.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Will be an interesting case, but I suspect it won't exactly run its course. Long legal cases are crazy expensive, and I assume no one at Yuzu will be able to go the distance against Nintendo, so they will very likely settle. Of course, it's an open source project, so nothing stopping anyone from cloning the project. Would probably havea chilling effect on the emulation scene, though, and likely stop any efforts to open up Patreons, if Nintendo wins in court or settles this

• Sad

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Kind of surprised that Nintendo waited this long to sue the Yuzu devs. Not that I think they were going to do it but I guess from their perspective TOTK is what broke the camel's back. They probably want to bury these guys so they don't immediately create an emulator for the Switch 2.

In the end though Nintendo can get fucked.

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Weird timing, maybe Switch 2 is so iterative they hope to kill Yuzu (and then Ryujinx and whatever else pops up) before it's released and emulates it? Weird they never went after Dolphin/Citra devs as folks say the former includes Nintendo property in the form of decryption keys or something (stopping Steam release). Fee wise Yuzu (and any Nintendo emulator dev if popular as Nintendo emulation is the most desired by people who refuse to buy systems and games) can probably garner enough funds to lawyer up by just asking the community, if that's a viable route, drumming up support for their cause. Whether they actually have a leg to stand on legally is another matter I guess, we'll see what happens but it will probably go to court given this (unless Yuzu is adviced they will probably lose regardless of money so they decide to settle out of court, probably binding themselves from hacking any other Nintendo systems).

Yeah, hate Nintendo and its 98.8% employee retention rate where its actual developers-slash-CEOs take responsibility with pay cuts to appease bloodthirsty shareholders over mass layoffs and love the others, puh-lease. If the other systems were emulated like this they'd have sued them as well and you know it. Sony did sue those who cracked the PS3 master key (and wanted to expand to everyone downloading files from them iIrc) as the most recent example.
Beyond that they had bright ideas like some rootkit DRM on their music albums or whatever. So much more pro-consumer. They also sued Internet Archive.
This is just capitalism, not a case of any one company being inherently more evil than any other, when the circumstances arise they're all exactly the same folks.

Edit: Sony's sued PS4 hackers as well.

Also, Yuzu is making over 27k eur/month as of now, without any crazy "community plz help us fight big bad corp" thing, they can afford laywers, don't worry :sweaty-blob:

Last edited:
Reactions: yuraya
Dec 5, 2018
I mean, if nintendo's so worried about games been playable before release, they should sue Nvidia. After all this (as I mentioned in the pass) is due to a Tegra design flaw. :upside-down-face:

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I don't care about Nintendo games enough to worry about Yuzu specifically but fuck them if this has knock on effects on emulation in general.
It could impact commercial projects. If emulation is banned, re-releases that use emulation could effectively be blocked (or developers may steer clear of doing it out of caution). Imagine if Sony blocked Xbox/PC/Switch releases of MGS1 because it used a PS1 emulator.

Basically, Nintendo is saying they get the final say on any/all software developed for their system, and no one in any way, shape or form is allowed to run or distribute an emulator to run that version of the software on a device that isn’t made by Nintendo.

Shit’s absolutely bananas.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Weird timing, maybe Switch 2 is so iterative they hope to kill Yuzu (and then Ryujinx and whatever else pops up) before it's released and emulates it?
This is probably what it is. The Switch 2 is basically gonna be a DS ---> 3DS situation.

Gonna be funny if the Deck is more powerful than the Switch 2

And the Deck is emulating it before Switch 2 even hits store shelves lol.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
DS to 3DS was a pretty good leap tbh. From N64++ type visuals (with better modern modeling techniques and stuff yielding better results) to stuff like REvelations, also finally handling games of Monster Hunter's scope so Capcom ditched Sony for it at the time. And all in stereo 3D too. It was pretty ace.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Let's see how this court case goes. Could see Nintendo trying to stop any serious new emulation project in the buds if this case goes well for them. As I said, they are probably not expecting to actually win in court, just make it a huge financial liability for anyone to work on emulating their systems and set up a patreon.
I'm a bit surprised they waited so long for this. Either they feel that the argument about product keys that Yuzu fell into (helping people to extract them) is enough technical abstraction to make new relevant case law about this, or perhaps they just decided enough is enough and spend their war chest on frivial lawsuits to SLAPP the emulation scene as a whole

• This!

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Just finished Astlibra chapter 4 and... wtf was that!? Writing fell off a cliff and grabbed a shovel midair to start digging even lower when hitting the ground. Absolutely embarassing stuff.

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade: Wrath of the Mutants is getting a home release on April 23rd across Windows PC (via Steam), Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Switch, PS4, and PS5, for $29.99

The game is a port of the Raw Thrills-developed 2017 arcade game Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which is based on the 2012 animated series of the franchise. It features full four player cooperative play, the base game six stages and 13 boss fights plus three all new stages and six new bosses.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
Switch emulation is just far too prominent for it's own good

i'm a pretty firm believer in that Gaben quote about piracy being a service problem and there's clearly a lot of demand to play Switch games on stronger hardware

but...it's crazy just how out in the open the emulation scene is every time a big new release is about to come out, a reckoning was always going to come eventually flying this close to the sun

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
i'm a pretty firm believer in that Gaben quote about piracy being a service problem and there's clearly a lot of demand to play Switch games on stronger hardware
Doubt stronger hardware is the deciding factor, just having them easily available without buying additional hardware whatsoever is simply sweet. See all the folks who care about how it emulates on Deck, which doesn't really run the demanding games at substantially better settings or anything, but they have it so don't want a Switch. Doubt everyone who emulates on desktop is a 4k60 bro either, hence CEMU being so popular for BOTW cos it runs on weaker hardware than Switch emus. It's really just about having easy access to the games. And in this case indeed piracy is easier than buying yet another system + games. Better hardware is a minority case/excuse really, if the games are great then they're great and worth playing. Otherwise, there are more great games than you can play in your lifetime on any single platform, you don't HAVE to go for the specific games that are on the one system you don't care to buy for any reason (naturally, unless the reason for that is how easily you can emulate the system in question of course, which plays into Nintendo's point for doing this).

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I had personally kinda guessed that Switch 2 emulation was going to be pretty fast (like a year or less for decent emulation) and seeing what Nintendo is doing makes me think they're trying to kill any efforts to emulate it. I doubt they're that concerned about Switch 1 emulation at this point considering how well the hardware and software sells.

They're probably more worried about Switch 2 emulation becoming decent before they can keep hardware on shelves.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Doubt stronger hardware is the deciding factor, just having them easily available without buying additional hardware whatsoever is simply easier. See all the folks who care about how it emulates on Deck, which doesn't really run the demanding games at substantially better settings or anything, but they have it so don't want a Switch. Doubt everyone who emulates on desktop is a 4k60 bro either, hence CEMU being so popular for BOTW cos it runs on weaker hardware than Switch emus. It's really just about having easy access to the games. And in this case indeed piracy is easier than buying yet another system + games. Better hardware is a minority case/excuse really, if the games are great then they're great and worth playing. Otherwise, there are more great games than you can play in your lifetime on any single platform, you don't HAVE to go for the specific games that are on the one system you don't care to buy for any reason.
That's pretty much it for me. I'm just done with new consoles. I don't want redundant hardware, nor accept a one-size-fits-all experience.

Nintendo would absolutely kill it on PC, even with minimal effort. Until they decide to service me I'll continue to find my own way to play on my platform/hardware of choice.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
let's see if the SwitchU is another 100 million seller or another dud.
Like with Targeryans, a Nintendo console generation is always a coin toss.

Nintendo isn't somehow safe from changing customer expectations and a changing landscape. especially with the current focus on libraries and forever games. Nintendo is especially prone to have clear cuts between generations.
In the current financial landscape, investing into a new library with new hardware could be a big ask.

So, if its a dud, or even just below expectations, it is more likely that they will "surrender" and make PC ports.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman and Arulan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
let's see if the SwitchU is another 100 million seller or another dud.
Like with Targeryans, a Nintendo console generation is always a coin toss.

Nintendo isn't somehow safe from changing customer expectations and a changing landscape. especially with the current focus on libraries and forever games. Nintendo is especially prone to have clear cuts between generations.
In the current financial landscape, investing into a new library with new hardware could be a big ask.

So, if its a dud, or even just below expectations, it is more likely that they will "surrender" and make PC ports.
You never know with Nintendo, but I have to imagine they even know that expectations are for it to be more of an extension of the current Switch platform, meaning everything carries over.

Reactions: Kyougar
Status
Not open for further replies.