Community MetaSteam | February 2024 - Let's bring democracy into the zone with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Hektor I hope you are happy, I'm currently watching OG Evangelion. Sadly it is not the 100 best way to watch since the last Blu-ray release of the series does not have fly me to the moon as the ED. Other than that it's nice that's it's 5.1 subbed.

I'm guessing that the last game that came out that has Eva stuff is the Super Robot Wars stuff and also ties ins to already existing games like PUBG mobile? I think it was PUBG mobile, or maybe it was that one Japanese only mobile phone Battle Royale game from years ago. Knife something.

Has Fortnite done an Eva thing already? Will the 5th impact be a parts of that?

einstellung

Dec 31, 2018
Hello, I come bearing gifts of mild amusement.

Minor spoilers for Midnight Suns (the Marvel superheroes save the day, shh, don't tell anyone).

I finished Midnight Suns. The post-credits scene involves several people studying seriously in a library. This scene fades up from black on Scarlet Witch in a neon strawberry bikini, poring over a book. I laughed. Burst the warm bubble of closure I was lounging in real good.

It was a bug. I had "Switch Outfits Daily" enabled for each hero, but that toggle doesn't include swimwear in its rotation. But on the other hand, some cutscenes, including this one, are done in-engine. So, it's possible that after the credits closed, the game simulated another day-in-the-life for all the little superheroes. Wanda was assigned to poolside-lounging, and then was immediately warped to the library to enact the post-credits cutscene.

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
If emulation itself is awful then Nintendo should look what are they doing with Nintendo Online emulators… technology is even provided by emulation company.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
If emulation itself is awful then Nintendo should look what are they doing with Nintendo Online emulators… technology is even provided by emulation company.

I think their position is that emulation is illegal if you don't have the express authorisation from the platform owner. It's legal nonsense, but not inconsistent nonsense

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
I think their position is that emulation is illegal if you don't have the express authorisation from the platform owner. It's legal nonsense, but not inconsistent nonsense
Yep, the sad thing is I doubt yuzu can afford the costs of this trial, always had been said emulation was legal while console bios, keys or firmware weren’t part of the emulator.
And the Nintendo ToK claim part is absurd when that have more something to do with somebody breaking the release date and sharing the dumped iso than emulation (that iso can be used on the emulators or on your cfw’d console.) Why yuzu devs have to take responsibility about that?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yep, the sad thing is I doubt yuzu can afford the costs of this trial, always had been said emulation was legal while console bios, keys or firmware weren’t part of the emulator.
And the Nintendo ToK claim part is absurd when that have more something to do with somebody breaking the release date and sharing the dumped iso than emulation (that iso can be used on the emulators or on your cfw’d console.) Why yuzu devs have to take responsibility about that?
There is a pretty weak case here if you really break it down to the basic principles and combine with existing case law on emulation in the US. Nintendo seems sure they can wrap this in enough technical jargon (production keys, extraction firmware, etc) to mask that they are really just asking the court to change their mind on the legality of emulation as a whole. A large part of their strategy is clearly to just bleed Yuzu devs dry and get them to stop working on the emulator. Perhaps as a secondary goal they feel confident that courts have shifted enough politically that they might get a new verdict that could change the legal landscape as a whole. That seems like a stretch, though

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I am no legal expert (as the following statement will no doubt atest to) but there claim is that Yuzu enables piracy. Doesnt that mean that gun manufacturers enable murder and drug manufacturers are enabling adiction.

It amazes me that a company that can make such great and joyous games employs so many miserable bastards.

Excuse me now while I go out and enable piracy in a very specific and targeted manner.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Hektor I hope you are happy, I'm currently watching OG Evangelion. Sadly it is not the 100 best way to watch since the last Blu-ray release of the series does not have fly me to the moon as the ED. Other than that it's nice that's it's 5.1 subbed.

I'm guessing that the last game that came out that has Eva stuff is the Super Robot Wars stuff and also ties ins to already existing games like PUBG mobile? I think it was PUBG mobile, or maybe it was that one Japanese only mobile phone Battle Royale game from years ago. Knife something.

Has Fortnite done an Eva thing already? Will the 5th impact be a parts of that?
The important thing is that you watched it.
I hope End of Evangelion aswell.

Eva crossovers have so far only been in japan / asia territory projects.
I can't recall a single recent game in the west with an Eva crossover.

Reactions: PC-tan

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Interested in reading classic Samurai manga, like Blade of the Immortal or Vagabond.
Discover BotI is left to right. Inner weeb conflicted.

Publishers really want to confuse me to death. I shall soon read manga left to right and comics right to left. Thanks.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

In spite of all the doom and gloom regarding the industry right now, I'd like to inform everyone that Balatro (the current frontrunner for GOTY) become profitable after an hour. The industry as a whole will be fine, even if AAA destroys itself.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
In spite of all the doom and gloom regarding the industry right now, I'd like to inform everyone that Balatro (the current frontrunner for GOTY) become profitable after an hour. The industry as a whole will be fine, even if AAA destroys itself.
Not sure I would totally agree with doom & gloom, it's more paradoxical. People are fired left to right and yet it seems like we have a chart topper nearly every other day. It's bizarre.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Not defending Nintendo here, but Yuzu is flying too close to the sun. Making an emulator for a current console is literally asking for trouble, especially when said console is dominating both hardware and software sales chart.

Now Nintendo is going to shut down the whole party because one person is making too much noise.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Not sure I would totally agree with doom & gloom, it's more paradoxical. People are fired left to right and yet it seems like we have a chart topper nearly every other day. It's bizarre.
It's the cinematic AAA games that are taking the biggest beating. I would suggest following Mat Piscatella as he has some good takes. Outside of ballooning budgets and stagnating userbases, another major issue is that there are some live service games (Roblox and Fortnite in particular) that are effectively platforms onto themselves and take a ton time away from games people might have played a decade ago.

That's not to say everything is sunshine and lollipops in other markets such as mobile and indie. There are way more indie failures than successes and the mobile market is probably more top heavy and volatile than the console and PC market.

I probably should have put a bit more thought into my post before spewing some fart huffing drivel. :shrugblob:

Not defending Nintendo here, but Yuzu is flying too close to the sun. Making an emulator for a current console is literally asking for trouble, especially when said console is dominating both hardware and software sales chart.

Now Nintendo is going to shut down the whole party because one person is making too much noise.
Additionally the Yuzu devs are making $300k a year off their Patreon so the developers have a financial incentive to make sure the emulator works with the latest games.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
No, no, Arc it's me who reacted dumbly to the first part of your post only, when taken as a whole it's sensible (well, not that the first part is not, I just wanted to underline how fucking hungry gamers are these days, transforming random releases into megahits every other day).

But yeah, AAA is in crisis. And we are probably well into over production of games as a whole by now. The number of releases on Steam on a daily basis is ridiculous. There will be blood, indeed.

Reactions: Arc

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah, I don't get the criticism of Nintendo here. Just because you like emulating games doesn't make Nintendo's claims bullshit or them total assholes. Emulating the biggest, most expensive, top selling games on a current console is s really, really bad look. It undermines all the arguments the emulation community makes to support its existence. I hope I can skip buying a Switch 2 and emulate on my Deck, but it looks like the prospects of that are probably ruined now by people who can't control themselves online.

Reactions: Arc

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Yeah, I don't get the criticism of Nintendo here. Just because you like emulating games doesn't make Nintendo's claims bullshit or them total assholes. Emulating the biggest, most expensive, top selling games on a current console is s really, really bad look. It undermines all the arguments the emulation community makes to support its existence. I hope I can skip buying a Switch 2 and emulate on my Deck, but it looks like the prospects of that are probably ruined now by people who can't control themselves online.
Emulating the latest console is just the excuse they’re using to attack all emulation.

The endgame here is killing off all commercial and non-commercial emulation of Nintendo systems on non-Nintendo hardware.

Even third parties will be shafted by this. Anyone emulating an old Nintendo system to release a game or collection of games on a non-Nintendo platform becomes exposed to lawsuits or exorbitant licensing fees if Nintendo wins this.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The question whether emulation itself is legal, that is, whether you are allowed to produce software that emulates another system and does not contain any copyrighted material and was produced using white-room reverse engineering, has been settled for decades now. Nintendo's argument is that emulation, in every form, is illegal without the express authorisation of the platform owner and that is clearly not compatible with existing case laws in the US. To break it down, they say that you cannot extract any data from copies of games you buy, you cannot try to hack your Switch to access its firmware or production keys, and any system that enables you to use that data, firmware or keys is thus enabling illegal activity and there can be no legal form of emulation without express wishes of Nintendo.

Under this reasoning, no other emulator could exists either. Whether it's emulating a Sony platform, an Xbox console, or anything from the past, as long as the right holders don't expressly agree (i.e. license it)

That's why people are angry, this does not simply risk having the newest Zelda emulated on day one or whatever. It risks there being emulators available, period.

We either have laws that are based on general principles, or we live in a society where the rich and powerful can use lawsuits to destroy any effort they see as harmful to their interests, regardless of the legality. You can't have both. Given how the US legal system "works", I'm not confident that Nintendo won't succeed, regardless of how brazen their claims are

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Emulating the latest console is just the excuse they’re using to attack all emulation.
That's why people are angry, this does not simply risk having the newest Zelda emulated on day one or whatever. It risks there being emulators available, period.

We either have laws that are based on general principles, or we live in a society where the rich and powerful can use lawsuits to destroy any effort they see as harmful to their interests, regardless of the legality. You can't have both. Given how the US legal system "works", I'm not confident that Nintendo won't succeed, regardless of how brazen their claims are
Sure, but none of this negates anything I said. Until people started bragging online and posting videos of 4K Zelda (especially pre-release), this stuff was mostly under the radar, or at least, looks like it had to be tolerated by Nintendo. Now they have an easy excuse. Any ordinary person outside the gaming bubble is going to look at this situation and agree with Nintendo. Anyone could have seen this coming, and I'm kind of surprised the emulation community hasn't policed itself better.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
It's the cinematic AAA games that are taking the biggest beating. I would suggest following Mat Piscatella as he has some good takes. Outside of ballooning budgets and stagnating userbases, another major issue is that there are some live service games (Roblox and Fortnite in particular) that are effectively platforms onto themselves and take a ton time away from games people might have played a decade ago.
I've been absolutely head over heels for Pacific Drive this week, so I browsed the dev's website out of random curiosity to learn a bit more about them.

Turns out the team consists of only 19 people!

It's just wild that such a small team can create fidelity and atmosphere on this level.

Meanwhile AAA(A) sectors are falling apart at the seams, incorporating budgets and personnel rosters that feel more like high-stakes gambling.

I'm just left wondering why we need such big-budget overproduction. Hardly a revelation or anything, but numbers just don't add up anymore outside of a select few lottery winners like Rockstar.

As others have noted above I've been feasting for years on low-budget productions that feel unique, fresh and most importantly sustainable.

While some enthusiasts may be having panic attacks over the death of the AAA model, I'm simply more curious than anything to see how the market adjusts. Who knows, it could lead to exciting new possibilities if the status quo is shaken up and Big Game Development is forced to explore new strategies.

Could be bad like with more nefarious monetization (yet even the viability of that is questionable...do people even do stuff like loot boxes anymore?). But at the same time it could also yield more creative solutions that signal actual innovation in the space as the current model has been broken for a long time now.

Exciting times ahead either way.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Sure, but none of this negates anything I said. Until people started bragging online and posting videos of 4K Zelda (especially pre-release), this stuff was mostly under the radar, or at least, looks like it had to be tolerated by Nintendo. Now they have an easy excuse. Any ordinary person outside the gaming bubble is going to look at this situation and agree with Nintendo. Anyone could have seen this coming, and I'm kind of surprised the emulation community hasn't policed itself better.
Nah

It's only the videogaming corporate bootlick bubble that agrees with Nintendo, the exact same people that always did that anyways.
Actually normal people do NOT give a shit about piracy at all.

These people look at 4K120FPS Zelda footage on some youtube channel, google how to do that, read a manual and then say "nvm too complicated" and continue to watch pirated TV shows for dinner instead.

Its also nonsense as always to equate emulation to piracy in the first place

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I finished Dark Forces very recently with a sourceport that does a mighty fine job in making it playable with modern bells and whistles a la GZDoom but I like the effort they did here with the high res assets and things like bloom lighting making the little random sci fi bits and bobs glow so I will support this.
That's still a perfectly fine way to play it though, if you already own the game (or want it cheap) and don't care for the new assets (and I believe bloom lighting is on the cards for it too, I recall seeing the option for it but it wasn't yet active when it first hit version 1.0 a couple years ago, perhaps it's been added since).

I wonder if Nightdive will go back to some of their older barebones releases and fully remaster them like their better FPS stuff, things like Wizardry 8 could use the love (but at the very least they could probably patch them to include things like pre-configured dgVoodoo out of the box for folks who don't know how).

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS and lashman

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Hey I loved Earthbound until my friend bought Chrono Trigger and I went

Their account report data thing has all this information. Wonder if it wasn't properly protected.

I never gave Epic any personal info except my real name and email...
The same is said about too many technologies these days.

Social media has massive and direct harms, may even destroy civilization. Why isn't social media banned? Lots of people talk about the harms of AI too. What about computers in general? It's not like firearms which are built for the purpose of killing explicitly. These are technologies that are fundamentally neutral / net positive. Yet those in POWER want to regulate and control them. They want to have exclusive control over the tech!

It's not up for any community to regulate individuals. The laws can enforce SPECIFIC abuses of neutral technologies.

Last edited:
  • Toucan

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
All these new games releasing and I'm still waiting for Gears of War trilogy on PC. When MS, when!

• Toucan
Reactions: Mor
Status
Not open for further replies.