Community MetaSteam | January 2019 - Steaming along through Epic storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
2 hours left.
I plan to show the results the day after, January, 20 at 7 pm GMT. I don't know whether you would prefer a delayed announcement of the top-ranked games to maintain the suspense (like 1 every ten minutes), or straight to the point with the GOTY ranking.

Read the rules in the OT first and send Wok a PM to ask for a link to the Frama form.

The categories for voting:
  • Game of the Year Award
  • DLC of the Year (optional)
  • Early Access of the Year (optional)
  • Turd of the Year (optional)

Deadline: January, 20 at 12 am GMT.

Last edited:

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
6 hours left.
I plan to show the results the day after, January, 20 at 7 pm GMT. I don't know whether you would prefer a delayed announcement of the top-ranked games to maintain the suspense (like 1 every ten minutes), or straight to the point with the GOTY ranking.

Read the rules in the OT first and send Wok a PM to ask for a link to the Frama form.

The categories for voting:
  • Game of the Year Award
  • DLC of the Year (optional)
  • Early Access of the Year (optional)
  • Turd of the Year (optional)

Deadline: January, 20 at 12 am GMT.

I'm not a patient person, so I vote for a straight to the point reveal :D

Of course that's just my opinion.

Reactions: Wok and lashman

zkylon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
Nov 2, 2018
oh lmao i totally forgot, this week was a nightmare anyways

ok here's my quick list, i just can't put much effort into this cos i'm sleepy atm. i'm also not gonna super follow the categories cos i make my own rules ok

my favorite 2018 games in no particular order:
- deltarune chapter 1 cos it's more undertale and while i don't think i need or want more undertale, it still resonates deeply with me and it was some quality ass shit
- into the breach cos it's super smart in every possible way and tuned to perfection. i really love the music too
- gorogoa cos it's also terribly clever and it's creepy in a cool way
- monster hunter world cos it's everything i ever wanted monster hunter style games to be

disappointment of the year:
- the little witch academia game cos it squanders a potentially fantastic concept with basic gameplay so boring i was literally falling asleep while playing

league of legends score for 2018: 5/5!
- cos they introduced zoe who's one of my favorite champions ever, had two of the most fun LCK seasons in a while (tho i kind of say this every year), meta went crazy with crazy bruisers/mages botlane, they released kda ♪♫♬ which is the best shit ever and also i went to worlds and i'm super happy about that and this is my own subjective awards so who cares

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
league of legends score for 2018: 5/5!
- cos they introduced zoe who's one of my favorite champions ever, had two of the most fun LCK seasons in a while (tho i kind of say this every year), meta went crazy with crazy bruisers/mages botlane, they released kda ♪♫♬ which is the best shit ever and also i went to worlds and i'm super happy about that and this is my own subjective awards so who cares
first of all, how dare you

Reactions: lashman

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I don't even remember what I voted tbh, not as #1 anyway lol. o_O

I remember Shadow of the Tomb Raider and MonHun World being among my choices...

For DLC I went with World of FF Maxima. :whistle:
(Although I should have gone with Year 3 Pas for R6 Siege if I'm being realistic. The Service game that continues to amaze.)

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I don't even remember what I voted tbh, not as #1 anyway lol. o_O

I remember Shadow of the Tomb Raider and MonHun World being among my choices...

For DLC I went with World of FF Maxima. :whistle:
(Although I should have gone with Year 3 Pas for R6 Siege if I'm being realistic. The Service game that continues to amaze.)
all good choices :)

Teggy

Patiently waiting for Wet 2
Dec 2, 2018
I am playing Tales of Vesperia on 360 and assuming I have completed enough of what I’m playing right now by then I will play Resident Evil remake on Steam when RE2 comes out. It’s my way of being part of the zeitgeist while also not buying new games 🤣

Is Zoe the 9000 year old dragon of LoL?

Last edited:

Teggy

Patiently waiting for Wet 2
Dec 2, 2018
She's a million years old, so kind of.

They haven't done anything super visually distasteful with her though, so also not really.
Who’s “they”? There are some fairly scary corners of the internet, unfortunately :)

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Who’s “they”? There are some fairly scary corners of the internet, unfortunately :)
Oh, I'm sure there's gross stuff made by fans.

I meant Riot. They haven't done too much that made me roll my eyes yet, besides the stupid summer skin she got. But compared to how that kind of character usually gets treated especially in anime-esque games, it's pretty tame.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Decided to refund tales of vesperia for now. I'm not impressed with the amount of micro-stutter I'm getting and how washed out the art style is. Yes I know there's a mod and reshade to fix all that but despite being more of a PC gamer again I'm incredibly lazy and really don't like dealing with outside fixes. If we weren't dealing with a japanese company on PC I'd have more faith that these issues could be patched but since I'm in the refund window still I don't want to take that bet.

If they do fix some of this I'll probably buy it again at some point. The combat was pretty awful since my only Tales experience is Berseria but if those other issues are fixed I'd probably adapt to it. I got used to DQXI's horrible combat after all.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Decided to refund tales of vesperia for now. I'm not impressed with the amount of micro-stutter I'm getting and how washed out the art style is. Yes I know there's a mod and reshade to fix all that but despite being more of a PC gamer again I'm incredibly lazy and really don't like dealing with outside fixes. If we weren't dealing with a japanese company on PC I'd have more faith that these issues could be patched but since I'm in the refund window still I don't want to take that bet.

If they do fix some of this I'll probably buy it again at some point. The combat was pretty awful since my only Tales experience is Berseria but if those other issues are fixed I'd probably adapt to it. I got used to DQXI's horrible combat after all.
awwww :( shame

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018

Did you end up using the Orchestral Mod for DQXI? I found that made my enjoyment of the game increase quite a bit.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Did you end up using the Orchestral Mod for DQXI? I found that made my enjoyment of the game increase quite a bit.
Yeah I wasn't going to at first but after 40 minutes of that horrendous music I had to make the effort and it really did make a ton of difference. It didn't stop the music from being really repetitive after many hours but at least it wasn't ear torture anymore.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Tales of Vesperia's combat is an odd one.
I really don't think they should have have half baked the mobility into what is ultimately a 2D fighter like the ancient episodes. Moving around in 3D just breaks the game, and not because it's easy, but because hitboxes and the AI are not even a quarter of what they should be for such a system. Some ennemies are complete bollocks, and some attacks are just not reliable because they're either too short range, or too slow moving to hit accurately in anything else than a 1vs1.

Oddly enough, it might also be one of the RPGs with the biggest amount of genuine progression to unlock for combat... because it starts as a clone of Tales of Symphonia, which just isn't very good at this point.
It's just painful to only have 1-2-3-arte for so long, while there's totally more to it later on, with extra base combos, burst artes following arcane artes following basic ones, altered artes to cutomize... it gets super complex when you know what your entire team can do and you can control it well.
But holy shit does it take a long time to reach this point.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Just finished:

Wayyy more difficult than Portal 1&2. Lots of well thought out puzzles, some of which had me stumped for quite a bit. Also didn't realize I was playing advanced mode x_x
My friend (a big Portal fan), described it as the "real" Portal game, because he found the puzzles to be very easy in the main games.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I finished Subnautica! 2 years after I bought it, :p
Extremely good game overall, though the final zone feels a bit lackluster in terms of design/layout, but at least the story content is ace.
I kind of want to read through the development updates now, to see how it evolved over Early Access.

I'm looking forward to the standalone expansion - is what I'd normally say, but seeing how Subnautica was the first free game of the Epic Launcher, I wouldn't be surprised if the expansion would be another timed-exclusive, so I'll keep my expectations in check.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

I'd watch KR if most of the recent series weren't 40, 50 episodes long.
There are shorter ones? :O
I've watched Kamen Rider W as my first one over the last 2 weeks and finished it yesterday. (It was extremely good).
Started with OOO now and will move my way towards the present and then check out older ones. (Very likely not in one go though :p)

KenOD

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
Just about all of the Kamen Riders are 48-50 episodes; the only ones that are shorter either didn't do well (Amazon, which was cancelled), with one-offs (Decade, to change when a new show started so as not to compete with their other toy show of Super Sentai), or specials not on television (Kamen Rider Amazons, brought to you by Amazon. co .jp).

For older ones, Kamen Rider Agito is great. It's not as flashy as modern ones, but it's got a great sense of story telling, mystery, and style to it. I highly recommend it if you also like cop shows, murder mysteries, and grounded fights where just one move can make all the difference.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Next I'll probably continue with Star Ocean 4.
But my gaming time has been a bit reduced lately, because I've binging Kamen Rider shows :whistle:

I'd watch KR if most of the recent series weren't 40, 50 episodes long.
There are shorter ones? :O
I've watched Kamen Rider W as my first one over the last 2 weeks and finished it yesterday. (It was extremely good).
Started with OOO now and will move my way towards the present and then check out older ones. (Very likely not in one go though :p)
Just about all of the Kamen Riders are 48-50 episodes; the only ones that are shorter either didn't do well (Amazon, which was cancelled), with one-offs (Decade, to change when a new show started so as not to compete with their other toy show of Super Sentai), or specials not on television (Kamen Rider Amazons, brought to you by Amazon. co .jp).

For older ones, Kamen Rider Agito is great. It's not as flashy as modern ones, but it's got a great sense of story telling, mystery, and style to it. I highly recommend it if you also like cop shows, murder mysteries, and grounded fights where just one move can make all the difference.
speaking of which: Community - Tokusatsu Community - Let's Henshin! - there's a thread for it as well :)

(not telling you to go away, lol ... just pointing out it exists ... please don't kill me)

Status
Not open for further replies.