Community MetaSteam | January 2019 - Steaming along through Epic storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
I hope so too.

That message has been there for a few days and I cannot find any announcement though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were having problems.
Reading from Orlygift is dead?, it looks like it's related to the shutdown of other sites which I don't know nothing about but it looks like they were getting the keys from those

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Just wanted to thank The Queen for sharing the ReShade preset for RE2. Just noticed over on Era, but can't exactly thank you there. :p
Can you post it here as well (if The Queen is fine with that, of course) ? It always takes me forever to come up with good ReShade configs, and from screenshots I have seen of Queen, she's generally pretty good with this. In fact, a Reshade Configs tread here on Meta wouldn't be bad idea, I feel.

Deleted member 113

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I would assume it would be their Japanese PC version patch adapted for the Steam version.

You can check out the rest of the features here: CHAOS;CHILD PC English patch
Oh, this is totally useless for the Steam version I bought lol. At least from what I gathered from your link.

If it's true the official EN translation has so many errors, I guess I'll play it in Japanese. Thankfully it looks like the Steam version keeps the JP script in-game.

Can you post it here as well (if The Queen is fine with that, of course) ? It always takes me forever to come up with good ReShade configs, and from screenshots I have seen of Queen, she's generally pretty good with this. In fact, a Reshade Configs tread here on Meta wouldn't be bad idea, I feel.
QueenShade - Resident Evil 2 [2019]

This one! (For RE2 in specific.) (y)

All credit and thanks to The Queen :wd_praise:

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Looking at those ReShade screenshots, i usually don't bother with Reshade/ENB mods, but i'm getting rather annoyed by big budget games nowadays all having unnatural looking colors and colorfilters.

Are colorfilters the new Chromatic Abberation, which was the new bloom?

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Looking at those ReShade screenshots, i usually don't bother with Reshade/ENB mods, but i'm getting rather annoyed by big budget games nowadays all having unnatural looking colors and colorfilters.

Are colorfilters the new Chromatic Abberation, which was the new bloom?
Eh, color filters come and go I feel like? The worst offender I can remember would be Deus Ex: Human Revolution and that icky yellow filter over everything. That was years ago...

Personally though, I throw ReShade at just about every 3D game I play. Sometimes 2D ones too, to replicate old-style TV's with scanlines and old-timey gamma lol.

zkylon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
Nov 2, 2018
i generally don't mind color correction that much

i'm not the biggest fan of deep contrast, so washed out colors just look nicer to me

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Oh, this is totally useless for the Steam version I bought lol. At least from what I gathered from your link.
I consider all of the QoL improvements listed on the page to be a positive thing. Obviously, the original patch was targeted for those who would like to play the localised version, and if you prefer to play it in Japanese most of those would be irrelevant to you.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure CoZ will update their site with the list of improvements once their patch is out, which I hope will include QoL improvements for those who prefer to play in Japanese as well.

Last edited:

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I consider all of the QoL improvements listed on the page to be a positive thing. Obviously, the original patch was targeted for those who would like to play the localised version, and if you prefer to play it in Japanese most of those would be irrelevant to you.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure CoZ will update their site with the list of improvements once their patch is out, which I hope will include QoL improvements for those who prefer to play in Japanese as well.
I think I misinterpreted the situation cuz I am sleepy and getting ready for bed lol. For this I apologize. orz

After reviewing their twitter once more it does seem they will offer a patch for the Steam version with QoL fixes and such. o_O So now we wait.

Reactions: lashman and Kvik

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
MORDHAU is finally listed on Steam. I gotta play Chivalry soon before it's playerbase dies out.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I just sort of think this is funny, an article from PC Gamer awhile ago extolling the virtues of how reviews give consumers a voice to developers where there previously was none.
Steam review bombing is working, and Chinese players are a powerful new voice | PC Gamer

When we're now getting bombarded with a plethora of articles saying how Reviews/Review bombing is basically complete shit.

Another take on it (Yeah, it's from 2017 but whatever)

A brief history of how Steam review bombing damages developers

It covers the biggest one in memory for a lot of people (At least for me) the GTA 5 review brigade with the whole mod shenanigans

ramoisdead

MetaMember
Nov 5, 2018
I'll post what I said in Era pertaining to this:

I mean this is what really gets to me. You make up a Steam page, debut a trailer that states to wishlist the game on the Steam page, and had a beta on Steam. All of a sudden, you put the game out on 2 PC marketplaces but not the one you advertised on from the very beginning.

While I groaned a bit when Supergiant Games announced Hades to be EGS exclusive, at least I give them credit for not pulling this bait and switch.

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
apparently there are no spiders in resident evil 2 remake and no one told me?????

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
apparently there are no spiders in resident evil 2 remake and no one told me?????
yeah, they decided to not use them in the remake ... probably because they don't really make much sense in the context of the game :p

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
Finally feeling dat Hollow Knight. Just played it for like 5 hours straight. Been a while since I did that.
Also, any game to play on 21:9? Just had a big bummer with Overwatch. They decided to crop the 21:9 image from the 16:9, so you effectively see less on that aspect ratio. So dumb.

Reactions: Nabs and lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Shovel knight has an option to switch character genders at any time. This is neat to get girls interested in the game, tho it can be too rough for younger players still.
Gonna set it to that whenever i get to play it for my niece
Also the game has a frog that spouts punny jokes. This game is platforming perfection~

Reactions: Wok and lashman

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
Yep, I found out yesterday.

Still don't like survival horror so not for me :coffee-blob:
yeah, they decided to not use them in the remake ... probably because they don't really make much sense in the context of the game :p
again, NO ONE TOLD ME

played the demo and it seems really good, the atmosphere is great and while i don't have the best memory it is pretty cool to recognize some spots and like some spooky-moment-triggers they kept vs the ones they removed. the controls feel a bit weird on a keyboard and mouse but i'll probably switch to controller for the actual real game. i just love how i'm already mapping the levels in my head, and all these keypads and locked doors and dumb puzzles, it's great

anyways, probably gonna buy it sooner rather than later. i hope it's not too hard tho, it looks kinda hard

also does it have ink ribbons

Reactions: Prodigy and lashman

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
it's ur duty to let me know

don't forget ur duty
Post automatically merged:

i just realized that telltale being kaput means i'll never have my izombie telltale game and that's shit

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Man these americans are some backwater laughingstocks

Acting all surprised at a kfc chicken sandwich with cheetos. Scrubs please; there is a nearby burger joint to my house thats been selling such sandwiches for a year now. Ive had kfc dorito sandwiches that had the crisps+spicy bbq sauce with the chicken in them.

I cant help but laugh at these so called cultured and civilized peoples.

Heck in my current workplace, the cafteria makes sandwiches and one od the ingredients they let you choose is chopped pieces of a local spicy crisps. These americans need to step up their game :v

Reactions: lashman and Big_Al

zkylon

Nov 2, 2018
oh hades is also $7 here

that's some quick regional pricing i think?

but the division 2 is still 60 dollars

hmm

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
@
Eh, color filters come and go I feel like? The worst offender I can remember would be Deus Ex: Human Revolution and that icky yellow filter over everything. That was years ago...

Personally though, I throw ReShade at just about every 3D game I play. Sometimes 2D ones too, to replicate old-style TV's with scanlines and old-timey gamma lol.
My reshade thread on here i intend to post my presets there in future i did post my resident Queen one there :minos_love:

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
If they're actually interested in providing a meaningful service with their store, that's great, but they need to stop with the exclusivity bullshit first.

Reactions: lashman and oipic

Maxi

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Finally feeling dat Hollow Knight. Just played it for like 5 hours straight. Been a while since I did that.
Also, any game to play on 21:9? Just had a big bummer with Overwatch. They decided to crop the 21:9 image from the 16:9, so you effectively see less on that aspect ratio. So dumb.
Hollow Knight supports 21:9 with a hex fix, or you can get the exe's here: Hollow Knight | WSGF

Most AAA games over the past few years support 21:9, Overwatch being an oddity due to competitive balance which I don't quite understand considering most competitive games support it but I've yet to see a pro CS, LoL, PUBG, Fortnite, Starcraft or any player use 21:9, hell they often play windowed 1024x900 or something odd!

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
a VERY good post from the Death Ray Manta dev:

Just in case you’ve somehow napped your way through the past week or so – one of the big messes in games right now comes courtesy of Epic, who are having a bit of a spending spree to buy a stint of exclusivity for games that you’d generally expect to release on Steam. Including, erm, games that have already been announced for Steam and in the case of Metro Exodus, a game that’s been running a pre-order campaign on Steam and was due to launch there in a few weeks.​

Big mess then. Crap everywhere, lots of finger pointing, shouting and as usual, a lot of people not quite understanding why there’s upset when “it’s just another launcher away to get the game” or whatever.​

I don’t really need an article to explain why this has caused upset in games. PC gamers are well trained to expect someone to come along every few years and throw money at putting a videogame, exclusively, onto another store. That this money can be the difference between a game existing or not, between survival for a studio or closure, between being able to make the game to the quality a developer wants or not, all that is neither here nor there to the audience.​

To them, it really is as simple as every few years someone will come along and try and take stuff away. Maybe it’s Sony throwing money at indies as per a few years ago, maybe it’s Microsoft’s repeated attempts at making their awful store happen, maybe it’s a publisher moving their catalogue wholesale to their own store.​

This stuff is deeply entrenched in PC gaming and it wasn’t that long ago in the grand scheme of things that publishers were abandoning the PC wholesale because (in their minds, not mine) the platform was ripe with piracy, just not where you went to make enough money and blah blah blah.​
PC videogame buyers are used to having things taken off them and you can’t really expect them to just go “oh yeah, this is fine”, right?​
That Epic have gone down this route seemingly without any sort of counter to people’s discontent and to undertake this strategy in a way that focuses the ire on individual developers or publishers is ridiculous. Not surprising – I’ve been around games a long time now – but absolutely ridiculous. It’s not helping, that’s for sure.​

But big business does as big business does. And this time big business has prodded the Valve bear into responding, which is unusual enough in itself. A lot of games have been moved from Steam over the years but not really two weeks away from launch and having undertaken a major preorder campaign *on Steam*. From the POV of big business, it doesn’t take much squinting to see how this can look grim.​

With Valve though, they’re putting forward the argument that this is not fair to their customers. On a quick scan, this can easily sound like Valve being a big babby and stamping their feet because they couldn’t get their own way. I’ve seen multiple “but big business isn’t fair” takes and NO SHIT, GENIUS. *ahem* but when Valve talk about “fairness to their customers”, this is the one rule that underpins all games being allowed to sell on Steam right now.​
This isn’t just a shot back at Epic, this is a very public reminder to other developers about what they sign up for when they sign up to distribute on Steam.​
It’s a corporate perversion of fairness, definitely. You’ll see no arguments there from me. Being fair here really does mean following what Valve say is fair, not what anyone else might consider fair.​

Which is, you know, not great. But to anyone who hasn’t signed up to distribute on Steam, to anyone who isn’t aware that Valve absolutely will reinforce their concept of fairness and to anyone who hasn’t read their selling on Steam guides which repeatedly reminds the seller that Valve absolutely expect you to “treat Steam customers fairly” it can seem out the blue. It’s really not out of the blue.​

“Fairness to our customers” is how Valve shore up Steam’s defenses.​

When a developer asks for an incredibly large amount of keys to give away or sell on another store, Valve will ask for fairness to their customers in return for the inventory. When a developer sells their game on Steam for £4.20 but on Humble for 69p, Valve will ask for fairness to their customers. If a developer wants to give huge amounts of copies of their game away to a subscription service or to run one of those absurdly rubbish giveaways through a small bundle site or whatever, Valve will ask for fairness to their customers in return.​

Valve are very aware of how easy it is to use the systems they provide on Steam in ways that can see their fee either unpaid or massively reduced whilst another company that may not be the developer or publisher profits. And Valve want that fee, right?​

So maybe fairness is price matching a sale, maybe fairness is giving away your game on Steam at some point too, maybe fairness is not doing that thing Valve aren’t happy for you to do using Steam’s systems at all. It’s in that context that Valve talk about fairness, not whether the world at large deem something fair or unfair.​

And in that context, a public statement on a games store page stating that Valve believe a developer or publisher is being unfair to their customers takes on an entirely different tone.​

In the case of Metro, this is Valve saying they gave the game access to their customers (Valve sees all Steam users as “their customers” not as belonging to developers or publishers), they let the game collect pre-orders and build anticipation through the systems Steam provides, collect news on their hub, have it discussed on their forums, occupy real estate on their pages. To have all that and then not sell the game on Steam for twelve months is, in Valve’s parlance, unfair to their customers. Whether it is fair in the grander scheme of things isn’t something Valve are arguing.​

With Metro, it’s nothing more than a reminder that Deep Silver haven’t held up their end of the bargain here. That the publisher isn’t doing what they agreed to do. And this is serious enough, in Valve’s eyes, to be taken public rather than dealt with through back channels.​

And with all that, it’s a reminder to other developers selling on Steam that everyone there selling a videogame on Steam has agreed to “be fair to Valve’s customers”. They’re just saying, you know. It’s a reminder. I hope you haven’t forgotten.​

It’s about more than griping with Epic. It’s about the deal everyone who sells on Steam is bound by. And whatever happens next, if anything happens at all, this stuff isn’t just about Epic or Valve, it’s about all of us who sell on their stores.​
(sorry for the wall of text :p)

Deleted member 113

That is indeed a good text, lashman .

But, I have to point out that Rob was one of the most vocal "Steam/Valve is killing indies" proponents, in what now seems like a concerted effort, when that whole thing started (just before the Epic Games Store was announced).

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That is indeed a good text, lashman .

But, I have to point out that Rob was one of the most vocal "Steam/Valve is killing indies" proponents, in what now seems like a concerted effort, when that whole thing started (just before the Epic Games Store was announced).
yeah, i know ... still - a good read

Reactions: Deleted member 113

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Shovel knight has an option to switch character genders at any time. This is neat to get girls interested in the game, tho it can be too rough for younger players still.
Gonna set it to that whenever i get to play it for my niece
Also the game has a frog that spouts punny jokes. This game is platforming perfection~
I totally forgot about this game. Played a couple of levels on Switch, but never finished it. It's fun but hard. I should continue it someday.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Whatever the history of author, the text is really good read.

And the phrase "every few years someone will come along and try and take stuff away" is really a good way to describe this "battles" we are always having on PC gaming.
pretty much, yeah

and it's really sad ... and frustrating

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I totally forgot about this game. Played a couple of levels on Switch, but never finished it. It's fun but hard. I should continue it someday.
Errr i woulsnt say its too hard. One thing i thnk they changed is that the pogo shovel doesnt reset after hitting enemies so you can keep holding Down to bounce on bosses and enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.