Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Is it going to be a good port, or should we just stick to our WiiU copy via CEmu?
What do i know, i never played the original, do you think i'm a sucker who bought a wiiu? :H02laughing:

It does include some new content and QoL improvements from what i heard tho

Reactions: 「Echo」

Deleted member 113

Should be available very soon (today) as well on Humble (hopefully with an additional discount for monthly subscribers):

And GOG:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
No, it's one game but you play as sisters, either Lydie or Suelle, both are present in the party but you can choose which one is the visible party member and they have different personalities, voices etc. I don't think it makes a difference to anything so it's purely preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJunioR

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It seems that my classes start next week on Tuesday, I ended up emailing my instructors about the textbooks needed for the classes. It seems one of those classes needs a key for some website (I hate those) and hopefully that is not the case.

I guess this means playing games even less now for the next 4 months.

Was there a DQB2 OT on here since I want to share some of what I have been doing in that game

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I just finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I'm still in shock of how bad the whole thing was... None of the games are formidable but at least the first two were entertaining, hell I'll even go so far as to say the first one was good. It's amazing how far down a cliff the whole thing fell. Even the voice acting was pitiful... which I think it's because the actors couldn't believe the stupid shit they were being paid to say...
I still need time to process what just happened but it's safe to say TR needs a new home badly and some new overarching plot that doesn't involve some secret cult bent on world domination or some stupid nonsense. Give me self contained plots. Fuck it, give my Angel of Darkness 2!!!

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Stopped playing Sundered.
It's trash.
A Metroidvania with partially randomly generated level design... I thought it would be bad. It's not actually, it's just invisible. Never even noticed that level subdivisions would be marginally different. They're just flat, boring, ugly, samey, and you run through them anyway, because it's backtracking in its distilled form, each time you die you lose nothing... you just go back from the start of the game.
But it plays very well! It's fast, fluid, with great hand drawn animations... and that's it, because the number of skills to unlock is pathetically small, and there is no gear system.
Plenty of garbage MMO-like progression however! Reminds me of Salt&Sanctuary (and Dark Souls in general) with tiny buffs... except they let you use new weapons, spells and stuff in other games when you reach a threshold. Here you just take or deal 3 less damage. And you need it, because you will get one shot or hit basic ennemies 50 times otherwise. Just a slooow grind of horrendously boring stats with no meaningful upgrades... since important stuff is less inspired than a Ubisoft game, rarely seen such a fake feeling of progress. Wow, a gun to light up switches. No, not even a special wall piercing one, just... a gun. To shoot. Once in a while because ammo is scarce.

And as usual in bad Metroidvanias, there's no enemy variety. Bosses are great... and barely even exist in the game. You'll fight the same palette swapped ennemies for hours though... especially since they added the worst thing ever in the genre: Left4Dead waves. So... you fight dozens, or hundreds of them at a time. It's easy to get overwhelmed (especially when you have multiple laser guns that cover the entire area far beyond the camera, go through walls and stun you) but in general it's just boring. Add all the optional upgrades (that are at least something more than +1 armor, but sacrificng 20% health to get 15% melee damage is not exactly genius either) behind a wall of... guessed it, more waves of ennemies.

At least you can choose to get be "good" or "evil", and you'll obtain different abilities like a glide instead of an additional jump, but again, there's literally 7 choices to make so...

It would a good boss rush game if it was like Jotun.
But its piss poor level design, non existant enemy variety, boring ass progression, absurd amount of backtracking and ultimately simplistic combat along utterly useless "changing" levels makes it an extremely poor game.
Less is more.
Adding an empty world, devoid of interest, constant waves of hundreds of ennemies was not the way to make a better game after Jotun. Not at all.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Fuck it, give my Angel of Darkness 2!!!
I mean, the first one from this new trilogy was enough for make me avoid Rise and Shadow like the plague but take care what you wish for. I'll never take off my mind AoD's tutorial and the city level (Paris I think). That was truly awful, painful, even. Just remembering that shit is enough :sick:

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Does humble choice still give people guest passes for their humble store discount? Considering Atelier and Agents of Mayhem.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I just finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I'm still in shock of how bad the whole thing was... None of the games are formidable but at least the first two were entertaining, hell I'll even go so far as to say the first one was good. It's amazing how far down a cliff the whole thing fell. Even the voice acting was pitiful... which I think it's because the actors couldn't believe the stupid shit they were being paid to say...
I still need time to process what just happened but it's safe to say TR needs a new home badly and some new overarching plot that doesn't involve some secret cult bent on world domination or some stupid nonsense. Give me self contained plots. Fuck it, give my Angel of Darkness 2!!!
Yeah the main problem with shadow is at first glance it appears to give people what they wanted after playing the other games, less combat and more "exploration".

Except what happened is they didn't add in really in depth level design to get lost in or intricate puzzles to solve or challenging platforming. They gave us the same stuff we had in TR2013 and Rise which was heavily automated/linear platforming and picking up a metric shit ton of collectibles and then took out about 60% of the combat that was in the other games.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I played the first TR reboot, and I think that was enough for me to not want to touch the rest. Felt like I played the Diet Pepsi of AAA gaming.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I played Tomb Raider reboot and Anniversary back to back, and that was jarring, even if both had their flaws.

But the Uncharted-like automated platformer where you can't fall until you're not on the platform ("bu-bu-but you can if you wait 17 seconds in place" some would say), along "cinematic" expriences like the helicopter sequence where you push the stick forward for two minutes while watching all the pretty explosions that can't hurt you?
Yeah...

Uncharted 2 really did a number on the industry, and even then I felt that it was utter shit, and butchered eve the mediocre original. At least in Uncharted 1, you can fail and have to search the (easily reachable by an 18 months old baby Yoda) way to go. You weren't forced to climb on THAT piece of wood that is interactive unlike the twenty other identical ones, but with extra sparkles and white paint so you don't get lost.

Level design should win the award for video game martyr of the decade.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Does humble choice still give people guest passes for their humble store discount? Considering Atelier and Agents of Mayhem.
Yeah, it's at the very bottom of the subscribers page.

Reactions: Blu

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
I wonder how well Temtem will do. Seems like there's quite a lot of talk around it.
I do hope server handles the initial launch as well, because even if they have even slight portion of troubles that were present in stress test, initial reviews are not going to be well.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I actually really enjoyed Sundered. The aesthetics of it were top notch, the setting was rather unique and interesting, and the movement/combat felt good. I especially liked that you could do very effective "builds" by combining the perks (I forgot what the actual in-game name was, the ones that you can level and have up to 3 slots for). I did play the entire thing in local coop.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Thinking about buying another Atelier game (have ayesha and escha on PS3) But I don't like the open endness of the newer titles.

Reactions: Knurek

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I mean, the first one from this new trilogy was enough for make me avoid Rise and Shadow like the plague but take care what you wish for. I'll never take off my mind AoD's tutorial and the city level (Paris I think). That was truly awful, painful, even. Just remembering that shit is enough :sick:
This is actually an hill I'm willing to die on.
Angel of Darkness was flawed but it was exactly what the franchise needed at the time. After 4 identical games they gave us something fresh and that hadn't been done before.
It was buggy and rushed but its was still much better than 4 or chronicles ever were. It doesn't deserve the rep it has.

I'm still a believer 2 was the best TR we ever got. Sadly the series lost it's way due to annualization.

Reactions: AHA-Lambda

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
That's what the NSA is showing to nerds when they need to get passwords for protected systems. I hear the record time someone managed was 3 minutes 42 seconds before breaking down in tears and telling them everything

Reactions: lashman

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
That's what the NSA is showing to nerds when they need to get passwords for protected systems. I hear the record time someone managed was 3 minutes 42 seconds before breaking down in tears and telling them everything
No no, they just say they'll make a RAID 0 of their harddrives, and then drop heavier and heavier stuff onto one of the array disks.

Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.