Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Going by the recent news, every single game Annapurna released on EGS pretty much bombed
yeah ... that's now like the third game from Annapurna that wouldn't be egsclusive ... so maybe they finally learned their lesson

The only Annapurna games that went EGS exclusive had TBD as their release date, Lets see if this or 12 Minutes change that
yeah ... i mean - they could still change it when they make it egsclusive ... but at least for now it doesn't look like it is ... so there's that :p

and neither was Sayonara ... or Telling Lies

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
hopefully. I like their games a lot and they're pretty much all right up my alley but its really hard to support them when everything is EGS.
yeah, same ... i love their games

i mean - they're probably not egsclusive just yet (otherwise they probably wouldn't have bothered putting store pages up for those games only to change the date to 2021 later or whatever) ... but they might still become egsclusive ... which i hope won't happen because i'm definitely looking forward to both those games

Reactions: Dandy and Arsene

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
yeah ... that's now like the third game from Annapurna that wouldn't be egsclusive ... so maybe they finally learned their lesson

yeah ... i mean - they could still change it when they make it egsclusive ... but at least for now it doesn't look like it is ... so there's that :p

Did Annapurna or EGS learn their lesson?
Annapurna was a good initial shot at Steam to get a publisher with a wide portfolio, but really, how long would EGS pay a company that only releases turds (on EGS) that don't sell.

Probably something in the middle, where both shake hands with a wide smile that don't reach their eyes and inwardly thinking "THANK GOD! that's over."

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Did Annapurna or EGS learn their lesson?
Annapurna was a good initial shot at Steam to get a publisher with a wide portfolio, but really, how long would EGS pay a company that only releases turds (on EGS) that don't sell.

Probably something in the middle, where both shake hands with a wide smile that don't reach their eyes and inwardly thinking "THANK GOD! that's over."
They have 2 EGS exclusives currently in developent (Solar Ash Kingdom and The Pathless) so its not really "over" for EGS and Annapurna.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
They have 2 EGS exclusives currently in developent (Solar Ash Kingdom and The Pathless) so its not really "over" for EGS and Annapurna.
old deals? (don't care about annapurna, so don't know when the deals were struck)
Those deals are public, it would be a massive shitstorm of epic proportions if there is an instance of an EGS exclusive going non-exclusive before release.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah ... but both of those were signed over a while ago ....

that's why i'm hoping all their newer games not being egsclusive means they aren't too happy about the sales of those egsclusives ... or something

or maybe they're just doing this to get Tim to give them more cash

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
yeah ... but both of those were signed over a while ago ....

that's why i'm hoping all their newer games not being egsclusive means they aren't too happy about the sales of those egsclusives ... or something

or maybe they're just doing this to get Tim to give them more cash
Wattam’s deal was made way after their other EGS releases. But considering they didnt go EGS for Sayonara (honestly fucking shocked about this) and all these games seem like they’re coming to Steam. Something definitely seems off about their stance on EGS exclusivity.

Either way, if 12 Minutes, Artful Escape and Last Stop don’t go EGS, ontop of the 2019 exclusivity deals expiring and other titles like “If Found...” Annapurna is gonna have a pretty big 2020 Steam lineup.

Reactions: Dandy and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Wattam’s deal was made way after their other EGS releases. But considering they didnt go EGS for Sayonara (honestly fucking shocked about this) and all these games seem like they’re coming to Steam. Something definitely seems off about their stance on EGS exclusivity.
yeah, something weird is going on

as for Wattam - i'm not so sure ... wasn't it delayed at least once? if so - they probably made that deal at the same time as all the other games ... or maybe it was a deal for a specified number of games - no matter when they release ... who knows

but for a while it certainly seemed like Annapurna were all in ... now - not so much

Reactions: Arsene

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
They original contract probably has a specific number of games that they had to give Epic, now, they probably doesn't care for EGS or are waiting for Timmy to pony up more cash with a new contract. As seen before, their games didn´t do much for the EGS, so maybe Timmy is not on a rush to start a new deal with Annapurna.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
yeah, something weird is going on

as for Wattam - i'm not so sure ... wasn't it delayed at least once? if so - they probably made that deal at the same time as all the other games ... or maybe it was a deal for a specified number of games - no matter when they release ... who knows

but for a while it certainly seemed like Annapurna were all in ... now - not so much
They were updating the Steam build of wattam with achievements in July, but Ashen didnt get achievements added until right before the Steam release. Same with Outer Wilds being pretty quiet on steam prior to the EGS exclusivity announcement.

It was likely a pretty late deal.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
They were updating the Steam build of wattam with achievements in July, but Ashen didnt get achievements added until right before the Steam release. Same with Outer Wilds being pretty quiet on steam prior to the EGS exclusivity announcement.

It was likely a pretty late deal.
that doesn't really mean much .... it's probably just devs doing this stuff right now, when they're still developing the game, to not have to go back and do it right before release

hell - some of the egsclusive games that have already released on egs are still updating their steam builds (Outer Worlds was definitely doing that, i remember)

it's probably just pre-emptive ... in case the devs don't even know if they'll still be around in 12 months ... or maybe Annapurna just told them to do it now, so they don't have to go back to them in 12 months and pay more just to add the steam-specific stuff ... etc. etc. etc.

the "that's when they stopped updating the steam build" argument would probably hold more water if the game was self-published

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I can't believe people are actually defending Sony on PS5 having exclusives at launch. I mean I can believe it since fanboys will spin negative shit PR into something positive. But in this case...like come on man.

Reading that news should be insulting to PS4 owners. Especially PS4 pro owners wtf. You are playing Horizon at 4K HDR...and then you see those screenshots for something like Godfall and you say...yea it makes sense for that game to be exclusive to PS5. Or any game in that first 18 month launch window. Its so stupid and anticonsumer. You have a device already that can render so many games at 1440p and 4k...and here is this other device that will also render games at 4k..but its games can't be played on your console. Its like if Cyberpunk was only compatible with 2080 tis anything less than that it won't even launch.

Funniest thing about this is that Godfall is also releasing on PC. And PC users gonna play that thing with an ordinary 1060 and won't need an SSD either. I am actually gonna give Xbox some props in this case. Them saying the first couple years Series X won't have exclusives is the right way to go about it. Sony restricting millions of consumers to push a little bit more hardware out the gate is :blobyikes:.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I can't believe people are actually defending Sony on PS5 having exclusives at launch. I mean I can believe it since fanboys will spin negative shit PR into something positive. But in this case...like come on man.

Reading that news should be insulting to PS4 owners. Especially PS4 pro owners wtf. You are playing Horizon at 4K HDR...and then you see those screenshots for something like Godfall and you say...yea it makes sense for that game to be exclusive to PS5. Or any game in that first 18 month launch window. Its so stupid and anticonsumer. You have a device already that can render so many games at 1440p and 4k...and here is this other device that will also render games at 4k..but its games can't be played on your console. Its like if Cyberpunk was only compatible with 2080 tis anything less than that it won't even launch.

Funniest thing about this is that Godfall is also releasing on PC. And PC users gonna play that thing with an ordinary 1060 and won't need an SSD either. I am actually gonna give Xbox some props in this case. Them saying the first couple years Series X won't have exclusives is the right way to go about it. Sony restricting millions of consumers to push a little bit more hardware out the gate is :blobyikes:.
People abandon all rationality when it comes to their favorite piece of plastic selling more than the other one.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I managed to reach the final boss in Ziggurat yesterday, but died when the boss had less than 1 cm of health left. Aaaaargh! o_O

It's more likely that they had a 1 year contract with Epic.

Still not buying their games for at least another year tho. Annapurna played a huge role in establishing store exclusivity deals on pc, which are here to stay I'm afraid.
To be honest, consoles have always worked like this. Microsofts strategy is the exception, not the norm. This said, hardware locked exclusives are one of the reasons why I went back to pc gaming after years of console gaming.

Last edited:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Seeing as none of their games made the top sellers list, it's pretty clear EGS are being more selective. Buy a few indie darlings to keep up the pretence that it's about the developers while holding the AAA ones hostage. Timmy couldn't give a fuck about indie games they are just bullets in the war for him to get a better deal from the walled Gardens of Android, Apple, psn and xbox for fortnite. The tactic is so obviously transparent.

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019

What's the point of buying a console if it doesn't have exclusives? It would just be an under powered PC at that point. I myself abandoned the PS4 when all third party exclusives I liked are now on PC with some exceptions. It's also not fair to compare PS4 Pro and 5 when they have completely different specs and how it's somehow anticonsumer when the point of exclusives is to keep justifying to use your console. Plus PS4 4K is not true 4K iirc.

Reactions: xinek

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Them saying the first couple years Series X won't have exclusives is the right way to go about it.
Honestly, as much as I like that on principle, it's also the recipe to lose another console generation to Sony, especially coming from way behind as Microsoft is.

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
Timmy couldn't give a fuck about indie games they are just bullets in the war for him to get a better deal from the walled Gardens of Android, Apple, psn and xbox for fortnite. The tactic is so obviously transparent.
Pretty much. I wonder what happened to all the indie devs that said Steam doesn't care about them when Epic took the more well known ones and left them in the dust.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Well Bloodborne really need updates. For something that everyone praise as masterpiece it sure doesn't have good performance and low sales.
How much has the game actually sold. I thought it only sold like 2 million copies but then I think I saw some article saying it sold well over 5 million copies. If it sold over 5 million, then that's is a lot for a fromsoft game. But if it was less than 3 million, that is pretty bad.

I have a copy of the game myself (I also have the DLC) but I never beat the game. I enjoyed what I played though.
------

This may or may not have already been mentioned some time ago. But within a month of it's release the game sold 100k units!!!! And made over $3 million USD.

It has at least sold 80k copies at min I would assume.

So if the 100k thing is correct, Boneworks has already sold 1/10 of what Beatsaber had in March 2019 in just one month (Beatsaber sold over 1 million units across all the device that it was available on at the time). I am not sure just how long beat saber had already been out on the market and how long it had been on PSVR by that point (it might have just launched for PSVR that month even).

SteamVR is the future, also isn't Stress Level Zero working along side Oculus to make a Oculus Quest Boneworks spin off?

Last edited:

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
How much has the game actually sold. I thought it only sold like 2 million copies but then I think I saw some article saying it sold well over 5 million copies. If it sold over 5 million, then that's is a lot for a fromsoft game. But if it was less than 3 million, that is pretty bad.

I have a copy of the game myself (I also have the DLC) but I never beat the game. I enjoyed what I played though.
The latest number that we have is 3 millions and that came from 2018.

Reactions: PC-tan

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
To be honest, consoles have always worked like this. Microsofts strategy is the exception, not the norm. This said, hardware locked exclusives are one of the reasons why I went back to pc gaming after years of console gaming.
But in the past there was never mid gen refreshes. And in the past there was never a resolution cap like there is now basically. 4k is the max and 8k isn't happening anytime soon for gaming (at least not with AMD teraflops). The jump from Pro/X ====> 5/SeriesX is gonna be nowhere near impactful as it was in the past.

They kind of broke their own norm flow so for them to now not logistically support hardware because of something that is basically a graphical setting (raytracing) and/or convenience feature (load times) is ridiculously anti consumer imo.

You gotta let the past die. The way the industry is now I think you need to support that old hardware for another 18-24 months and then you officially kill it (on a corporate/manufacturing level) forcing devs to fully jump ship to nextgen only development. Or maybe wait for PS5 pro to officially kill off PS4 and PS4 pro.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
What's the point of buying a console if it doesn't have exclusives?
Every thread about PC on Era i get told how PC is too much hassle, too many drivers to install, too expensive, too much fiddling with settings, dont want to sit hunched over a monitor, want to play on the sofa, dont want an ugly box in the living room.

I think consoles would sell fine without exclusives.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Every thread about PC on Era i get told how PC is too much hassle, too many drivers to install, to expensive, to much fiddling with settings, dont want to sit hunched over a monitor, want to play on the sofa, dont want an ugly box in the living room.

Games that sold the most on console are multiplatform games.

They'll be fine without exclusives.

But I won't buy a console if not for exclusives.

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
Every thread about PC on Era i get told how PC is too much hassle, too many drivers to install, to expensive, to much fiddling with settings, dont want to sit hunched over a monitor, want to play on the sofa, dont want an ugly box in the living room.

I don't see how being afraid of setting up a PC is the only reason to get a console. If exclusives don't matter, then Xbox ones should sell way more than what they should be, but they're not when the average joe sees no good exclusives on Xbox and then decides to get a bundle with God of War, Spiderman or Death Stranding.

But I won't buy a console if not for exclusives.
Exactly. Multiplatform releases will always be best sellers, but console exclusives are the ones that pull the consumer into buying a system.

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I don't see how being afraid of setting up a PC is the only reason to get a console. If exclusives don't matter, then Xbox ones should sell way more than what they should be, but they're not when the average joe sees no good exclusives on Xbox and then decides to get a bundle with God of War, Spiderman or Death Stranding.
Oh yeah i totally get that the whole thing with exclusives is to get people into the ecosystem so that they buy all the extra stuff.
I just mean that lots of people seem to say that without exclusives everyone would just game on PC but thats not true. Most people still just prefer a pre-made cheaper box that sits under their TV.

Maybe with Microsoft going a different route Sony might start offing up 1st party games on PC too. That would be excellent as far as im concerned.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
My PS4 shelf is eerily similar (like only 3 games).
And that's why I'm not bothering with PS5
Same here, I own like 3 games for PS4 and borrowed a couple more exclusives from friends. I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, but it's rather unlikely I'll buy a PS5 for Bloodborne 2 as long as there are so many other games to play on pc. I haven't even played Sekiro yet.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Currently playing through Dark Sector. Has a neat concept with the blade weapon, but the overall shooting and such feels janky.
At least I was able to get it look a little cleaner thanks to Nvidia inspector.

Also Zuma's revenge is being mean right now. Gonna go 5 levels a day instead of 1 world a day.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018

It could also be that Annapurna games aren't adding value to EGS, so Epic dropped them.

In the end, what value is an exclusive to Epic that doesn't return the advance? And as we've seen, Annapurna has had a stream of those.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It could also be that Annapurna games aren't adding value to EGS, so Epic dropped them.

In the end, what value is an exclusive to Epic that doesn't return the advance? And as we've seen, Annapurna has had a stream of those.
i don't think Tim cares about that ... not yet, at least

all he seems to care about right now is taking games away from steam

Reactions: xinek and C-Dub

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
also isn't Stress Level Zero working along side Oculus to make a Oculus Quest Boneworks spin off?
Don't know if alongside Oculus Studios but yes, there's a Boneworks spin-off for the quest in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.