Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Annapurna Games are just up my alley as they all seems to be special in their own way, but it fucking sucks how Annapurna went exclusive with certain games.

Still not playing Outer Wilds until it's on Steam.

Hoping the signs means an end to Annapurna exclusives.

SteamVR is the future, also isn't Stress Level Zero working along side Oculus to make a Oculus Quest Boneworks spin off?
It's a Boneworks "experience". Considering the Quest is not capable of running actual Boneworks, it might be a smaller thing.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Annapurna Games are just up my alley as they all seems to be special in their own way, but it fucking sucks how Annapurna went exclusive with certain games.

Still not playing Outer Wilds until it's on Steam.

Hoping the signs means an end to Annapurna exclusives.
I tried it Xbox gamepass on my slim and holy crap is it bad. Looks bad, runs bad...

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I love mayo, but Hellman's can suck my balls.
Only Copons-Approved industrial mayos: Italian mainstream ones you can get in any Italian store, and maybe Heinz if I'm like eh ok whatevs.
Hellman's tastes like /dev/null.
I also almost always buy Hellman's here in the UK because it's cheap as fuck. 👍

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
My PS4 shelf is eerily similar (like only 3 games).
And that's why I'm not bothering with PS5
This is why I stopped buying consoles. I bought an original Xbox for a handful of games, and they all ended up on PC a few years later. The same thing happened with my 360. It's why I'm fighting the urge to buy a Switch because I know the only game I will buy for it is Animal Crossing.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I can't believe people are actually defending Sony on PS5 having exclusives at launch. I mean I can believe it since fanboys will spin negative shit PR into something positive. But in this case...like come on man.

Reading that news should be insulting to PS4 owners. Especially PS4 pro owners wtf. You are playing Horizon at 4K HDR...and then you see those screenshots for something like Godfall and you say...yea it makes sense for that game to be exclusive to PS5. Or any game in that first 18 month launch window. Its so stupid and anticonsumer. You have a device already that can render so many games at 1440p and 4k...and here is this other device that will also render games at 4k..but its games can't be played on your console. Its like if Cyberpunk was only compatible with 2080 tis anything less than that it won't even launch.

Funniest thing about this is that Godfall is also releasing on PC. And PC users gonna play that thing with an ordinary 1060 and won't need an SSD either. I am actually gonna give Xbox some props in this case. Them saying the first couple years Series X won't have exclusives is the right way to go about it. Sony restricting millions of consumers to push a little bit more hardware out the gate is :blobyikes:.
I don't think they said they will only have PS5 exclusives from that point onward, just that they will have PS5 exclusives at launch (which implies an "also" there)? I don't see what's wrong with having new exclusive games for your new system at launch, it's always been pretty interesting to see. Why would generations matter if they didn't bring anything actually new to the table? Might as well call them PS4 Pro Pro and Xbox One X X at that point rather than the next generation of systems? Would it be that exciting if that's what they had announced, yet another new PS4 model with no real next gen in sight? They might as well not bring new systems at all and leave them for a few years or whatever later in that case, if they only have last generation games to enhance rather than anything actually new that justifies their existence as new platforms. Nobody has to get them day one, at the same time those who do get them day one should have shit to enjoy beyond better resolution and framerate for games they could just as well play on their old system (also, not everyone has the Pro, plenty have the base system). But still, resolution isn't the be all end all of the hardware's capabilities to mention that as the reason they should play all next gen games at launch (and then arbitrarily not do that a year later or what's the threshold exactly?). I'm fine with either approach and am not likely to get any of the consoles to be honest, I'm just saying. Dreamcast/PS2/etc., launches were all interesting and not anti-consumer with next to no overlap with previous generation systems.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
This is why I stopped buying consoles. I bought an original Xbox for a handful of games, and they all ended up on PC a few years later. The same thing happened with my 360. It's why I'm fighting the urge to buy a Switch because I know the only game I will buy for it is Animal Crossing.
Here's what I did and will continue to do next gen:
  • Wait until the middle of the generation
  • Buy used PS4/Switch
  • Buy used games (exclusives)
  • Sell the games as soon as I finish them
  • When there's no more interesting exclusive on the horizon, sell the consoles
Very minimal lost on my end.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Children of Morta is live on PC game pass.
Nice, I think I will try it

Btw, remember that the devs were summoned to Moral Security Police? Looks like it was a misunderstanding all along

Reactions: Ge0force

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Btw, remember that the devs were summoned to Moral Security Police? Looks like it was a misunderstanding all along
Relieved nothing too serious happened. Not refunding my purchase of the game from GOG tho XP

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I can't believe people are actually defending Sony on PS5 having exclusives at launch. I mean I can believe it since fanboys will spin negative shit PR into something positive. But in this case...like come on man.

Reading that news should be insulting to PS4 owners. Especially PS4 pro owners wtf. You are playing Horizon at 4K HDR...and then you see those screenshots for something like Godfall and you say...yea it makes sense for that game to be exclusive to PS5. Or any game in that first 18 month launch window. Its so stupid and anticonsumer. You have a device already that can render so many games at 1440p and 4k...and here is this other device that will also render games at 4k..but its games can't be played on your console. Its like if Cyberpunk was only compatible with 2080 tis anything less than that it won't even launch.

Funniest thing about this is that Godfall is also releasing on PC. And PC users gonna play that thing with an ordinary 1060 and won't need an SSD either. I am actually gonna give Xbox some props in this case. Them saying the first couple years Series X won't have exclusives is the right way to go about it. Sony restricting millions of consumers to push a little bit more hardware out the gate is :blobyikes:.
Digital Foundry just released a video about this. If the SSD really makes the difference developers say it does, current gen machines could definitely hold a game back from a design standpoint. The fact that Godfall can be played on a PC with those specs only proves that it doesn't actually need it on a fundamental level. For example, in Horizon Zero Dawn they considered including flying mounts but the PS4 couldn't hanlde it (data streaming was too slow and there were also CPU limitations). If HZD2 were to be a cross gen game that would stop them from including this feature again.
So it's not as simple as saying: game X works so every game should work.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I usually have always owned Nintendo, PS and Xbox, this time I will only get the PS5 and an eventual Switch 2/Pro.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Wait this nichegamer
Dude be careful

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
So FEAR 2
Underwhelming Shotgun
Underwhelming flame gun

I am still early in the game but hopefully I can finish it over the next 2 days.
So far it is passable but right away it falls short of what made the first game good.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
smash bros salt is the best. people got hyped for fire emblem characters.

This Smash reveal turned into a Fire Emblem Direct. They even added a laugh track for the hell of it. This is glorious.

Last edited:

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
What's the point of buying a console if it doesn't have exclusives? It would just be an under powered PC at that point. I myself abandoned the PS4 when all third party exclusives I liked are now on PC with some exceptions. It's also not fair to compare PS4 Pro and 5 when they have completely different specs and how it's somehow anticonsumer when the point of exclusives is to keep justifying to use your console. Plus PS4 4K is not true 4K iirc.
I mean if a system is such trash and has absolutely nothing else going for it so that everyone would jump ship in an instant if it weren't for exclusives then no one should cheer for them and hope everything goes cross-whatever so they can abandon said trashy platform asap. Some console folks honestly sound like they don't like their boxes at all, yet still want exclusives because if not there'd be no reason for them to own one, that's the saddest and most disturbing kind of brand loyalty. It's like hating to be in a hospital yet hoping someone comes around every few weeks to break your legs so you can stay there and calling that consumer friendly. :face-with-head-bandage:

Buuuut I don't agree with consoles having no point beyond exclusivity, they're still easier to maintain and you have to invest close to 0 time and effort into setting one up while a PC takes at least a tad more mental investment. Not much and I expect most adults being able to handle that but some just don't wanna. And seeing sub-200€ deals for PS4X1 I can't blame folks going that route (it only gets weird when hardcore gamers who spend their whole life and income on gaming stuff want to tell me how PCs are too expensive and complicated for them, sure buddy).

Anyway, I'm fine with a new console getting games that won't run on the older one (they don't need to be exclusive to the new console but could be on PC too with high requirements), the PS4 wasn't all that powerful in hindsight but early games like Killzone looked real good, no way to make them work on a PS3 without major cutbacks, so I expect launch titles to make good use of the new tech (and features like in theory a touchpad on a controller but we know how that went nowhere) beyond higher res and I'm okay with exclusivity for techincal reasons. Meaning I'm somewhat skeptical of MS' approach.

28%, mostly negative, ewww

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
So FEAR 2
Underwhelming Shotgun
Underwhelming flame gun

I am still early in the game but hopefully I can finish it over the next 2 days.
So far it is passable but right away it falls short of what made the first game good.
That was my impression as well. FEAR 2 was one of the (many) sequels of great PC games where (almost) everything that made the original game so awesome was nuked in an effort to please the casual console audience. That was a dark time for pc gaming.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
That was my impression as well. FEAR 2 was one of the (many) sequels of great PC games where (almost) everything that made the original game so awesome was nuked in an effort to please the casual console audience. That was a dark time for pc gaming.
I enjoyed F.E.A.R. 2 a lot, but its huge level of consolization can't be denied. Only one save slot, no quick saves, some simplified controls, and several other things I'm probably forgetting. As much as I liked it, I wish we would have gotten the exclusive PC version that was planned along with it.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Don't feel so, ms store file system is trash and should not be touched.
It is indeed shit, but not something a lot of gamers care about unless it's games that have a lot of mods for it.

Big difference between Outer Worlds and A Plague Tale.

Like, I played Gardens Between on game pass, a game I have no care for about the file system MS has.

Reactions: xinek

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Don't feel so, ms store file system is trash and should not be touched.
I am playing Exodus on it right now, and it works (which - of course - is the absolute bare minimum that should be expected, and not praise worthy, I'm simply noting it). As I'm getting a lot of great games to play for very little money, I feel I can live with the knowledge that it's using a dumb encrypted file system.

fantomena
Mod support is a very good point, and why I will likely not play Outer Worlds on Gamepass

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019

Plague Tale is really great. Nice to see more people can play it now.

Own Gris on Steam, but I assume it's really great too, haven't played it yet.
Well spank my ass and call me Charlie. This is fucking awesome.

Wonder if we can expect some of these in the humble Monthly.

Reactions: C-Dub

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
fantomena
Mod support is a very good point, and why I will likely not play Outer Worlds on Gamepass
I played it (well kinda rushed through it) on game pass and will buy it once it releases on Steam.

However, a game like Plague Tale and Gris has no mods (afaik) and there's not much you can change, so I don't need to get into the file system despite it's good to have.

My biggest problem with game pass is ownership. I have thousands of games across Steam, Origin, GOG, consoles etc. so I like to play games at my own pace and game pass, despite having good value, just stresses me out as I know the games will leave at some point.

Example is Below. Releases on game pass, super excited for it, but have yet to play it due to other games I need to play, so it left game pass before I had the chance to play it so I bought it on Steam.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I don't use/need mods for every game either. It's just that the more gamers prove to MS that they are fine with this, the less likely it becomes that MS will change it. And it only needs some suit at a big publisher who believes that locking down game files will lead to less piracy or cheaters to become the norm for pc games. I mean, look what happened with paying for online on consoles...

For me, locked down games are going straight against everything that pc gaming stands for compared to console gaming. My brains says I shouldn't support it in any way, but at the same time, I feel like an idiot for doing so because millions of other people are supporting it.

I feel the same about ignoring Epic's free games and actually buying them in other storefronts, while tens of millions of other people are taking them. I don't even dare to tell this to my wife...

Reactions: Durante and xinek

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
I am playing Exodus on it right now, and it works (which - of course - is the absolute bare minimum that should be expected, and not praise worthy, I'm simply noting it). As I'm getting a lot of great games to play for very little money, I feel I can live with the knowledge that it's using a dumb encrypted file system.

fantomena
Good for you, because Metro Exodus is fucking broken in W10 store for me (DX12 render is crashing and you cannot easily switch to DX11), so i just uninstalled it. Metro Exodus - PCGamingWiki PCGW - bugs, fixes, crashes, mods, guides and improvements for every PC game
Also one of biggest problems with their file system - sometimes when you uninstalled application some big files still remains in hard to reach/encrypted folders which you can't delete, so you can waste a lot of space on your precious ssd's.
So for now even EGS is miles better comparing to what Phil Spencer spit out to us.

Reactions: xinek and Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I don't think most gamers even know about this file system stuff.
No doubt about this. That's why I have been very vocal about this matter when Microsoft was pushing the Windows Store as the new place-to-be for pc games (and pissing off the Xbox community on Era by doing so ;)). It doesn't really concern me anymore after UWP failed and all MS games are being released on Steam. But still, paying €70 for a game that can be played for €3,99 on Game Pass is pretty crazy when you think about it.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Ive just been reading about that back button attachment for the DS4 which will add a couple of paddly buttons. Do you think that it will work nicely with Steams controller config? I like the DS4 and a couple of paddle buttons could be useful in a few games.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Good for you, because Metro Exodus is fucking broken in W10 store for me (DX12 render is crashing and you cannot easily switch to DX11), so i just uninstalled it. Metro Exodus - PCGamingWiki PCGW - bugs, fixes, crashes, mods, guides and improvements for every PC game
Also one of biggest problems with their file system - sometimes when you uninstalled application some big files still remains in hard to reach/encrypted folders which you can't delete, so you can waste a lot of space on your precious ssd's.
So for now even EGS is miles better comparing to what Phil Spencer spit out to us.
That's sad to hear. I noticed that too about uninstalling leaving big files around, but nothing you can't delete with some simple PS commands, first to get rights and then a simple del command.

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Ive just been reading about that back button attachment for the DS4 which will add a couple of paddly buttons. Do you think that it will work nicely with Steams controller config? I like the DS4 and a couple of paddle buttons could be useful in a few games.
I would wait for reports before preordering.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The biggest point about the paddles is whether they'll be extra buttons or just fixed mappings of the existing ones,

The great thing about the Steam controller grip buttons is that you can freely map them as separate inputs.

Started Persona 5 now, one of very few games left in my PS4 backlog.

It's really good, but goddamn do I wish it was on PC so I could use a trainer.
You can play the entire game in RPCS3, it works very well. (I ran it at 5120x2880)

That said, it suffers from the same malaise IMHO that every other post-2 Persona suffers from, which is that it would be a much better game if it was paced for ~40 hours rather than ~100+ hours.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Started Persona 5 now, one of very few games left in my PS4 backlog.

It's really good, but goddamn do I wish it was on PC so I could use a trainer.
Did you play a Persona game before ? Can't vouch for 5 because I dropped it fairly quickly, but if you need trainers in JRPG you might have a really though time. They get easier with each iteration but it's still a though series.
Not sure it's a good choice for you (I absolutely don't mean it as a critic).
There is a good chance you will drop the shit out of uber boredom anyways.

Reactions: PC-tan

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Did you play a Persona game before ? Can't vouch for 5 because I dropped it fairly quickly, but if you need trainers in JRPG you might have a really though time. They get easier with each iteration but it's still a though series.
Not sure it's a good choice for you (I absolutely don't mean it as a critic).
There is a good chance you will drop the shit out of uber boredom anyways.
I have played about 3 hours of Persona 4 Golden, found it a bit difficulty, but don't remember the the difficulty I used there.

I use trainers in JRPGs as I simply just don't wanna die, but so far Persona 5 is not difficulty, thanksfully, playing on easy (not "safe").

You can play the entire game in RPCS3, it works very well. (I ran it at 5120x2880)
I have no idea where to get Persona 5 from though. I actually tried downloading it from some rom site or something, but RPCS3 wasn't compatible with the file format.

If there was a way to just an easy way to get my digital PS4 copy to my PC I would probably just do that,

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao
Status
Not open for further replies.