Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
You're exactly showing why this year wasn't as good in terms of dollars spent

That's also completely omitting how most of the new live service games pretty much ALL failed which absolutely didn't help. It is a weak year for pc gaming because of all the shit ports / versions there were and how quickly informed people are now.

Long are now gone the loyalist non sensical days which inflated results (these old Bethesda / Bioware days). Also, gamepass and whatnot. Sorry but all these games outside of Elysium (which also is niche) aren't exactly what I'd buy a pc for
I'm simply pointing out that there are a great number of quality games was released in 2019. My list is simply a drop in the bucket and it's not meant to be an exhaustive list. If games spending is down, then it's good, I'm happy about it. People should spend less anyway.

Anyway, as I said, I don't care about AAAs, let alone GAAS, Stadia (lmao) or whatever else. I believe the PC space is large enough so that there's something for everyone. Those games I've listed, those are the things I care about the most. Whatever EGS or Microsoft is up to is irrelevant to me.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

no
I'm talking high grossing releases not critical reception.

2019 had Borderlands 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Metro Exodus, Control, Outer Worlds, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5, The Division 2, Sekiro, Total War Three Kingdoms, Star Wars Fallen Order, Gears 5, Halo Reach, Age of Empires II Definitive, Plague Tale and Code Vein. There were also popular smaller games like Risk of Rain 2, Disco Elysium, Mordhau, Satisfactory, World War Z and Bloodstained that all sold a lot of copies.

and popular live service games from 2018 like League, Dungeon Fighters Online, and CrossFire all made more money in 2019 than 2018

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It looks like DQB2 has a total of 3 main islands (there also seem to be six small islands) and then your base.

So far I have done the two main islands and I have done two of the small islands.

I think it's taken me about a month to get as far as I have, so I should be done with the game either by the end of the month, or the first half of February.

I do think this is one game that I will be coming back to every so often and add new things to it.

There was a lot of stuff that I had planned on my main island but I stopped since it was sort of getting boring and I wanted more variation. It seems that the way the game takes on variation is by having each of the main islands focus on teaching one core element of the game. Unlike DQB1, which from what I recall sort of told a story for each island and that was about it and then you were doing the same thing all over again, the only difference being maybe the order that you build the things in or what you build them out of but that was basically it.

I have no idea if DQB2 is on sale as part of the Lunar sale but I do recommend checking it out, there is even a demo for the game that you can try and from what I heard that demo let's you beat the first main island, which is about 1/3 of the game. And you can carry your demo data over.

I would be more than happy to help you with the co-op option in the game.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Not quite sure what to get during this Lunar seal. I already have all the games I wanted from Winter seal, plus the January must-haves.

Maybe I'll just pick up Code Vein's season pass and save the rest of my budget for Golden Week seal. :02notes:

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I'm also not buying anything this sale. I'll just get rat emotes from free tokens.

Saving up for Ampere :steam_pigblanket:

Reactions: Li Kao

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
Not quite sure what to get during this Lunar seal. I already have all the games I wanted from Winter seal, plus the January must-haves.

Maybe I'll just pick up Code Vein's season pass and save the rest of my budget for Golden Week seal. :02notes:
I'm in the same position lol. There's nothing I really want in the seal that I didn't pick up in the previous ones. I'll just save my money and not buy a bunch of stuff that I don't really want that will sit in my backlog for the next decade, just because they're on sale. Lots of good stuff coming out this year that my money is better spent on.

I say that but I'm a sucker for cheap shit so I'll probably be expanding my backlog anyway sigh

Reactions: Kvik

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I posted the update in the OT, but figured it's worth posting here as well. Response from the pub for the Utawarerumono ports:

Not much urgency here...
He's really shifting blame on Japan that he can't be bothered with proper scaling of 3D and 2D content? Where do they find these clowns? Especially his comment about how fonts are fine is just asinine

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
He's really shifting blame on Japan that he can't be bothered with proper scaling of 3D and 2D content? Where do they find these clowns? Especially his comment about how fonts are fine is just asinine
The port itself was handled by AQUAPLUS themselves, in Japan.

Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Hearing PC sales are down for 2019 makes me nervous. I feel like the reason we get so many ports these days is because of the big growth of PC market so to hear that might be in trouble... :face-with-cold-sweat:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Hearing PC sales are down for 2019 makes me nervous. I feel like the reason we get so many ports these days is because of the big growth of PC market so to hear that might be in trouble... :face-with-cold-sweat:
Do not worry at all, PC gaming is not doomed or anything, I mean, we had multiple million sellers and AA games which main platform was PC (greedfall, for example) so yeah, PC as a gaming platform is not going anywhere.

Also, he's talking about the US market, not worldwide, so....

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
First, this is the US market. We have no word on the global market.

Even if this does reflect a global trend, it's a bit too premature to say this is the start of a spiral down. It could be that the market has peaked, but that sales are still strong. It could be that releases have failed to inspire PC gamers in a way that they did in 2018. Or it could be the race to the bottom that has hammered indies over the last 2-4 years in particular is finally reaching the higher end of the market.

Or it could just be the natural ebb and flow of the market. We're entering a period where new tech is on the horizon in the console space, which means a big jump in terms of what is possible even on PC, since a lot of multiplatform games are obviously tethered to the consoles. With the new possibilities making themselves apparent, maybe people are just feeling fatigued on games that are decidedly "old hat" compared to what will be on offer later this year.

Or it could be Epic poisoning the well, despite what Piscatella is saying. ;)

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW

Even if this does reflect a global trend, it's a bit too premature to say this is the start of a spiral down. It could be that the market has peaked, but that sales are still strong. It could be that releases have failed to inspire PC gamers in a way that they did in 2018. Or it could be the race to the bottom that has hammered indies over the last 2-4 years in particular is finally reaching the higher end of the market.

Or it could just be the natural ebb and flow of the market. We're entering a period where new tech is on the horizon in the console space, which means a big jump in terms of what is possible even on PC, since a lot of multiplatform games are obviously tethered to the consoles. With the new possibilities making themselves apparent, maybe people are just feeling fatigued on games that are decidedly "old hat" compared to what will be on offer later this year.

It's all of this. Nonetheless PC Gaming is in no danger any time soon.

Reactions: 「Echo」 and Mor

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Do not worry at all, PC gaming is not doomed or anything, I mean, we had multiple million sellers and AA games which main platform was PC (greedfall, for example) so yeah, PC as a gaming platform is not going anywhere.

Also, he's talking about the US market, not worldwide, so....

It's all of this. Nonetheless PC Gaming is in no danger any time soon.
As long as we keep getting 3rd-party support from Japan, I'll be happy. The whole reason I was finally able to leave PlayStation behind is because I really felt like JP-Exclusives were mostly drying up (and then why wouldn't I move to the platform where I can play them in a superior fashion?) That admittedly has been a rocky road, just based on port-quality from JP games but overall I feel like it's improved overtime.

I guess I just worry about silly things. o_O

==========

Wait, what's going on there?
How many times in our monthly OT have people asked to stop talking about Era? It's a bad look.

Take it to PM's or something if you must.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
As long as we keep getting 3rd-party support from Japan, I'll be happy. The whole reason I was finally able to leave PlayStation behind is because I really felt like JP-Exclusives were mostly drying up (and then why wouldn't I move to the platform where I can play them in a superior fashion?) That admittedly has been a rocky road, just based on port-quality from JP games but overall I feel like it's improved overtime.
I'm still waiting for Kingdom Hearts to come to PC :suicide-blob:
Far as Valve is concerned, it's business as usual.
That's a key factor. I'd like to think that is the same for GOG as well.

Far I AM CONCERNED: GIVE ME REGIONAL PRICING YOU %%^%@$#$$$ Revs up chainsaw

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Don't gossip about the other place unless it's really important please. Unless a new argument or something of value is brought forward, it's meaningless drama from another corner of the internet. It doesn't matter, but if you need support and to talk about it if you are getting hurt, feel free to reach out.

About that NPD study, my first impulse was to blame EGS but at the end of the day, I'd like to see the receipts and the data.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
It's probably combination between EGS + Gamepass + Humble. You can get a lot of free games from those places. Not to mention games these days are very quick to get discounts. RDR2 got 20% discount not after a month is pretty telling.

Then again it's not just PC, console games are also get really big discount after a month.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It's probably combination between EGS + Gamepass + Humble. You can get a lot of free games from those places. Not to mention games these days are very quick to get discounts. RDR2 got 20% discount not after a month is pretty telling.

Then again it's not just PC, console games are also get really big discount after a month.
I understand it doesn't include Steam in the data, which... Yeah. I'm just finding the conclusion a little odd because as much as he's right regarding EGS, Steam has had a lot of improvements reach the end of their dev cycle and release this year. The picture regarding feature improvements and value provided to the customer isn't black and white across the market.

Oldschool PC

Nov 23, 2019
Don't gossip about the other place unless it's really important please. Unless a new argument or something of value is brought forward, it's meaningless drama from another corner of the internet. It doesn't matter, but if you need support and to talk about it if you are getting hurt, feel free to reach out.

About that NPD study, my first impulse was to blame EGS but at the end of the day, I'd like to see the receipts and the data.
Yeah I apologize. It wasn't my intention to stir up drama, but I felt the need to warn people because a staff member crossed a line in real life that made me feel uncomfortable. If you want to know more details send me a PM, but I'd honestly rather leave that place behind me.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
RDR2 got 20% discount not after a month is pretty telling.
Yup, it got discounted in a matter of 2 weeks? pretty crazy.

Yes, end of the console generation also means more people doubting between jump into new consoles and abandon PC gaming (not the core pc players but more like the multisystem ones) and those who are waiting for a new computer to start investing on games again after that, as an example those who want to buy a 3080ti to play Cyberpunk 2077 at max settings.

Market is a constant flow and a cyclical pattern, that's why I'm not worried about the state of PC gaming, I mean, we haven't had any month without at least two or three big releases and if you check the monthly top sellers of Steam blog posts you will be able to see how varied the market is so yeah, PC Gaming is not going to die nor now nor in the near future, if anything it will become stronger once the consoles are out and people have made their choices.

Reactions: Ibuki
Status
Not open for further replies.