Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
:gobbler: :mole:
:eek:lmite: :cursed:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Tried Resident Evil 7, it's so fucking boring I couldn't last long.
Walk veeery slowly, pick up the item, use it on the very obvious objective, watch cut scene and if you're lucky(?) you get a QTE after the not-at-all frightening jump scare that can be seen from light years away, repeat.
Good grief are those Amnesia-likes a complete bore to play, like adventure games but even slower and with extra "horror" parts that do nothing once you've played one, they are the definition of predictable.

I certainly hope that RE8 will be a game again, and not a direct-to-VHS cinematic experience...

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Walk veeery slowly, pick up the item, use it on the very obvious objective, watch cut scene and if you're lucky(?) you get a QTE after the not-at-all frightening jump scare that can be seen from light years away, repeat.
Good grief are those Amnesia-likes a complete bore to play, like adventure games but even slower and with extra "horror" parts that do nothing once you've played one, they are the definition of predictable.

I certainly hope that RE8 will be a game again, and not a direct-to-VHS cinematic experience...
It improves down the line. I still prefer third person RE far more, but most of RE7 is very different from the opening. And yeah, I agree, Outlast/Amnesia-likes aren't for me.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
But why should I care?
The game is based around story and characters, they have two lines and then gogogo. Why should I bother with nothingness incarnate, and zombie game number 25497316?

It's like cinematic games really want to be movies, but totally forget that they're supposed to have a story and characters.
And I don't mean in a conventional way with a drawn out exposition, doing the opposite like... I dunno, Columbo; works very well too: but you need to show SOMETHING. Not "wait, it's very good 50h in", are we playing a JRPG or what? Who gives a shit about flashbacks when you start with nothing?

• Eyes
Reactions: sk2k

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Man, I installed the mod and used Adrenalin to try and lock the game to 30fps, overriding the game's AA with Adrenalin seemed to help but I dunno, the game is a fucking mess. It crashed twice just in the few minutes I spent trying different settings.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
More bad news for CD Project Red:

UOKiK sprawdzi postępy nad poprawkami do Cyberpunk 2077
The troubles with the premiere of Cyberpunk 2077 do not end. As it turns out, the game's premiere even interested UOKiK.

While in the case of PC versions, the ratings for Cyberpunk 2077 are good or even very good (despite visible errors), the console versions proved to be very disappointing. For some people it was even unplayable, so there were a lot of players asking for returns, and Sony even decided to remove the game from PlayStation Store. Additionally, due to problems with the game, CD Projekt Red stock price falls which resulted in class actions against the company. Now the UOKiK is also interested in Cyberpunk problems.

Dziennik Gazeta Prawna was the first to inform about it. Małgorzata Cieloch, the spokesperson of the UOKiK, explained the scope of control. As she stated, it is primarily a matter of checking the progress of work on the promised patches, which should make the console versions of the game playable.
We ask the entrepreneur to explain the problems with the game and actions taken by him. We will check how the producer is working on making corrections or solving difficulties that make it impossible to play on consoles, but also how he intends to act towards people who have made complaints and are dissatisfied with the purchase due to the lack of possibility to play the game on their equipment despite previous assurances of the producer.
At this point, it is difficult to conclude whether CD Projekt will be punished. The decision, in this case, will depend on what explanations the representatives of the Office of Competition and Consumer Protection will hear in these cases. The company will certainly not underestimate this, as the UOKiK president's decision may result in a fine of up to 10% of the annual revenue. This is of course the worst scenario from CD Projekt's point of view.

We will probably hear more about the case. Let us remind you that despite a lot of confusion and problems, the sale of Cyberpunk 2077 is performing very well. After 10 days from the release, the game has found 13 million buyers, now the result is probably much higher.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020

just played it for the first time a few months ago and really enjoyed it YMMV, I guess

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

It doesn't play like that beyond the intro chapter.

Reactions: lashman

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
It doesn't play like that beyond the intro chapter.
Too bad I will never bother and never touch a Resident Evil like this then.
Their loss, not mine.
They had their chance, the game was shit, I won't play. I'm more than done with the "it's crap for 50h but it gets better", I've had my share of shitty JRPGs and MMOs and their lies. :shrugblob:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I like flashbacks and clues to discover the story of a game that starts abruptly, worked great in the original Amnesia, in System Shock 2, in many games. Can't recall 7 story progression, was pretty alright as a game, just didn't like most of the enemies past the house area(s) after the novelty/scare of the blobs wore off.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Kind of important to have a reason to be interested in a game. "You're Ethan, save Mia the kidnapped princess" is literally Super Mario Bros level of plot.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Idk, seems like enough exposition to start with and then as you play it starts unfolding, are they psychos, are they supernatural, wtf is happening, etc. etc. Wasn't particularly fond of all the specifics or anything but then the original RE starts with a similar amount of plot to start with but you're part of a squad going after lost squads rather than a man going after a lost gf and it's an all time classic, loads of great games' intro sections can be deconstructed like this tbh.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Idk, seems like enough exposition to start with and then as you play it starts unfolding, are they psychos, are they supernatural, wtf is happening, etc. etc.

Wasn't particularly fond of all the specifics or anything but then the original RE starts with a similar amount and you're going after lost squads rather than gf and it's an all time classic so.
I don't particularly love the old RE for that. But you pretty much immediately see what's going on (and then why). And it was 1996.
In RE7, I see that too, zombie insects or whatever turn people into... zombies, woohoo. I mean, that's literally the first you see in a cut scene after the tutorial. So I'm Super Mario, and there's zombies to kill.
Now why should I play what is effectively by far the least interesting and the most agonizingly slow game in the genre?
SOMA certainly was much more interesting than this. And had actual surprises hidden in it too, RE7 is as straightforward as possbile.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
RE7 takes a lot from the original trilogy initially. But the further you go in the game the more it starts to lean towards RE4. Story kinda follows similar beats to the originals as well. Straightforward objective that gets more ridiculous and over the top as it goes on.

RE stories have always been structured like this. 7 didnt change anything.

RE1: Save missing S.T.A.R.S squad.
RE2: Find your brother
RE3: Escape raccoon city
RE4: Save the presidents daughter

None of these games are as simple as the initial plot leads you to believe, and RE7 is no different.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Not trying to convince you to like a game you don't enjoy or anything. I didn't find it very slow myself and in retrospect it's more varied than I recalled, from the creepy humans to the blobs coming out the walls in horror fashion as you slowly explore the first part of the house, to the insect stuff past that section, to the different characters, psychos or otherwise, the flashbacks/playing as others, the more action based final segments. I just find it silly to deconstruct specific elements to that degree and act like they're objectively awful to have in any game ever. The same elements have worked in other games, the same elements could even work in a game of this exact sort if it had something else to subjectively draw you specifically in with, like I don't know, more interesting to you environments or encounters early on to entice you for what's coming up head. Soma didn't draw me in like Amnesia of Alien Isolation, I didn't finish it. Super Mario's cool too (most of the time at least, there's the odd entry I guess I don't care to get to play). I wouldn't call RE7 or any RE cinematic, not in the uncharted or metal gear solid style, they always seem more gameplay focused, whatever that entails, more puzzles/exploration in earlier games, more action later on...

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
RE7 would have been a damn near perfect video game if they had more enemy variety. There was a couple of great boss fights but everything in between was just the same enemy over and over again. Its tough to make a game like that and have no zombies in it. I get they didn't fit into the story but still they should have done something. But otherwise yea its a good video game but a missed opportunity overall.

One of the reasons I am looking forward to RE8 is because in that trailer they showed so many different weird and interesting characters. Looks like regular crazy town folk in the game too like RE4. They could really knock it out of the park if its like RE7 with more enemies, bosses etc. It could be the dream RE game that goes off the deep end and is actually good unlike RE6.

Reactions: LEANIJA

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Finally got RetroArch on Steam. Now I gotta set it up to look good. Tell me what the hot config file options I should be setting are.

Reactions: lashman

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I'm looking for a long HDMI cable (10M) to connect my PC in the living room to a monitor on my workstation.

Is this any good or do I really need the fiber optic one?
1.4 Version Flat Shape HDMI Plug Extension Cable 10M

Supports all high resolutions including 480p, 720p, 1080p and 1440p.
Multi-channel digital audio with 10.2 Gbps band-width.
HDMI AV cable for HDTV. High definition Digital Video and Multi-channel Digital Audio Data Transfer with single Cable/Connector.
HDMI EMI/RFI Compliant Cable.24k Gold plated HDMI plugs.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
What resolution? 1080p might be enough. For 4k you'll probably need a repeater (a much cheaper option), or the fibre optic cable.
Just for work and probably occasional gaming, it'll be on a cheap 1080p monitor. So I guess that should be enough then? Thanks.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm looking for a long HDMI cable (10M) to connect my PC in the living room to a monitor on my workstation.

Is this any good or do I really need the fiber optic one?
10 metre should be fine for something that's just supposed to just carry 1080p. 15 metre seems to be the upper limit that's still ok.
For things that are much longer or need to carry a higher bandwith, you'd need an "active" cable, which draw more power and are designed to enable longer distances without signal loss.

Reactions: texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Guys, remember that PSO2 released this year in the West and it's totally eligible for the GOTY mention. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

10 metre should be fine for something that's just supposed to just carry 1080p. 15 metre seems to be the upper limit that's still ok.
For things that are much longer or need to carry a higher bandwith, you'd need an "active" cable, which draw more power and are designed to enable longer distances without signal loss.
Yeah, that was one of my concerns. But after measuring the length from the PC to my desk, it shouldn't be longer than 9 meters and that's after putting the cables around the door to not make it obviously visible. Also, the room is just right behind the living room and PC. I've already tested using my wireless kb/m from the desk and it worked fine.

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: lashman and Mor

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I didn't get further than an hour or two into RE7. I just found it a bit too intense and I don't really like the constant hide from bad guy bits which i guess most of the game is. I bounced off of RE3 remake as i don't like being chased by Nemesis.
I did finish RE2 remake but only because i put a squeaky shoes mod onto MrX.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
RE7 starts slow and Amnesia-like but then you do get weapons and can fight back. Theres still a horror element to it and you still gotta hide from some characters, but mostly you will shoot your way through the areas infested with monsters. Once you have a shotgun, this becomes a breeze (well, if you have enough ammo). I really enjoy RE7. I thought they way they gave you guns to fight back is what had been missing from the genre since Amnesia did it and everyone followed suit. This kinda "hide or get killed" gameplay only works for a while before it gets tedious and stale.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
RE7's first half is a masterpiece of survival horror. Then it gradually becomes more action oriented until the last part is basically a shooting gallery. It's a shame.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Curiously interested in seeing what Geoff's Summer Video Game Announcements will have @3@

I was tempted to skip it due to the sheer amount of shit I have to catch up on. Not anymore.
On the plus side it is only 12ish issues long (11 issues + a story in the 2020/2019 Flash Annual) Sadly the TPB collections are months away because DC is asinine about collected editions....

• This!
Reactions: Li Kao
Status
Not open for further replies.