Community MetaSteam | January 2021 - It's Rare to See a Medium So Well-Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Source engine with ray tracing seems interesting, but I cannot picture what it would look like in game.

One of the things I have always liked about Source is the lighting, or at least how Valve handled lighting in Source. They never fell into that trend of making everything super reflective and glisten. I sometimes think that is why Half Life, L4D and such seem to have aged so much better than some 3D games from that era.

Granted I know so little about engines and game design so take my thoughts with a grain of salt!

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I mean, Source 2 getting raytracing support makes perfect sense and has to happen sooner or later if Valve want to continue using it.

This doesn't necessarily mean that we'll see any products based on the engine actually using that support any time soon though.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
It's really interesting to see this tho, I would really like to know how would Alyx look with RTX shaders :blobeyes:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
TFW Sega blew 30 million fucking USD in a Japan only Sakura Wars mobile game that bombed HARD and couldn't be arsed to port the actual game to PC/Switch.
They should port it so PC can save the fucking franchise like Valkirya Chronicles
I think I need to address a few things here:

1. The report saying Sakura Kakumei's budget 30 million YEN (not USD) is sourced from a YouTuber. People choose to believe in what they want, but do you believe in a YouTuber? No sir, I don't.

2. Did the game bombed? The game launches on 12th December, so the rumored monthly revenue (ie. 7 million YEN) only counts half-a-month. Oh, btw, another tracking site reported that the game actually has 9 million YEN revenue so the number is disputed.

3. Am I pessimistic? 7 million or 9 million is bad for a big IP. Many players drop the game at the beginning two weeks. But it is a mobile game, so longevity is the key. Based on reception, I can confirm to you that most of the players and their mum agree that the story and characters are great. Chapter 3 of the main story, which was released on Tuesday this week, got very strong impressions from players. The game has flaws, mostly in mechanics and bugs, and the developers promised updates to come on 19th. With all things counted, the game has potential to continue growing. Btw, the developer also confirm that the game has been downloaded for 1 million times already.

4. Why should this mobile game grow? In an industry where everyday more girls decide to wear revealing clothes so that they can attract the players to pay for gacha, this game has no (NONE) scanty-clad girls so far. Their outfits make sense and all of them has their own position in the main story and introduced properly. And Sakura in this game (main girl) is such a good character. She doesn't fall short compared to the Sakura in the mainline games.

5. Should they port Shin Sakura Wars to PC / Switch? Yes, they should. What are you waiting for, SEGA?!

6. Does the franchise need saving? Purely my opinion. No, please stay this way. Shin and Kakumei are growing to be their own thing. The IP is over 20 years old and changes are inevitable, yet the spirit and central themes are untouched. The latest opera show (HUGE aspect of the franchise) got very good reception from fans, too. Overall, I am fairly optimistic to the franchise. But, I don't think the game will grow much in the west. It will stay as a niche franchise due to it still being a visual novel and dating sim.

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
That's not best girl Hatsuho
How about this? :cat-heart-blob:

I thought here is the mobile thread on MC. Am I wrong? :jj_oops:

• Toucan
  • This!
Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It seems that PS Now has a deal of 15 months of PS Now for just $60USD. That's decent. During Black Friday it was $45USD for 12 months. So the difference is that you are just paying $4 more USD for the 15 months deal which funny enough is enough to pay for 1 month of PS Now itself with the $45 deal.
----

I just played the first mission of Black and it has not aged well. Half life a game from 1998 has aged much better than this game from 2006.

I don't like how some games will use radio chatter to try to tell you what's going on. I don't understand that lingo.

I am not sure if there is a way to increase controll sensitivity since you can't even hit the side of a barn in this game.

It also has live action parts in the game and yeah all of that is just confusing.

So what is this game remembered for?

And military style shooters can be okay but this just feels mediocre so far. The NDS N-space developed Call of Duty games feel better than this and their story made more sense.

Last edited:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
The delicious feeling of using diplomacy to instigate a war between your two most powerful rivals and then sitting back and watching them tear each other apart while my armies build up their strength to sweep up the ashes. That will teach them to refuse my extremely reasonable demands for their allegiance.

Total War Three Kingdoms is so much fun.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way is there any point in playing Black on higher difficulty? There seems to even be a "black ops" difficulty option. .

It says something about silver weapons what ever that means.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
In anticipation of The Frontier, I've been playing Fallout 4 in the past couple weeks. With Horizon as the base this time, I also installed a bunch of immersive mods like weather, dynamic HUD, stalker music, etc. It's been a blast so far, it's like playing a truly hazardous and creepy post apocalyptic game, unlike the vanilla experience. Horizon also adds lots of difficulty to the game, which I love so much thus far.

Not my video, but close enough.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I thought here is the mobile thread on MC. Am I wrong? :jj_oops:
Hnng, bip bop, fuckity fuck
Is the sounds I just put out when I thought of posting something here and realized it was OT and I could maybe put it on MetaConsole (where it will still be OT but, less so ?)
I have nothing against MetaConsole btw. I'm just wired to this thread.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
5. Should they port Shin Sakura Wars to PC / Switch? Yes, they should. What are you waiting for, SEGA?!
tbh, it will happen probably this year, we will see tho.

Just downloaded, looks better, and theres room for more games now, Activision probably gonna release everything on it soon. theres a tab for Blizzard and a tab for Activision, only CODs on Activision tab for now.
I still think it's the most barebones service out there, and still don't think they will release exclusively everything there, probably just the MP stuff like COD, Crash, TH, Spyro... all those will probably release on multiple services at the same time as there is no revenue over time there.

• Love
Reactions: Cacher

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I feel bad for NarohDethan since they have already made phone discussion thread.:D
Don't ! He's a bastard !
kidding, Naroh :cat-heart-blob:

But yeah, more seriously it's the unfortunate state of Meta, where a good majority only gravitate around the Steam Thread. I wish I had a solution to make people browse other topics, but alas.
And yeah, me posting OT in here is a perfect example of a self-fulfilling prophecy :worried-face:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019

9.99 euros (with Choice membership)
Not bad :thinking-face:
It was 12 something in the Winter Sale.

edit
Well, it's 12 something without Choice. I'm dumb. But I'm used to it :cold-sweat:

Last edited:

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
GPU arrived in my city, I just got call from customs and I will probably pick it up next week :D
Ask them what happened, I'm sure it will be an interesting story :evilblob:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Ask them what happened, I'm sure it will be an interesting story :evilblob:
It was stuck in Vienna for a month. It arrived here on 11th, processed on 13th and because yesterday was holiday here it arrived to my local post this morning. Things went wqst when it arrived here. Two main issues were leaving US and getting stuck at Vienna.

That November 25th and 28th entries were false ones.

Reactions: lashman and Mor

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Your mandatory spam.

:pugHI:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Im in EU and have had that update for months.
huh, Im in the EU too and still had the old layout yesterday. Didnt check today yet because Im at work.

it was OT and I could maybe put it on MetaConsole (where it will still be OT but, less so ?)
Did I ever mention that its weird to me that "OT" both means Original Thread and off-topic? I always read it as the latter, but saw it being used for the former much more in recent years. Ah well. but I'd prefer if people used less acronyms in general, anyway. :p

But yeah, more seriously it's the unfortunate state of Meta, where a good majority only gravitate around the Steam Thread. I wish I had a solution to make people browse other topics, but alas.
And yeah, me posting OT in here is a perfect example of a self-fulfilling prophecy :worried-face:
We should just rename it MetaEverything or something, problem solved. :smart-thinking-blob:

Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
People, if you read books with no illustrations, you know we have a thread for it ? Just checking :blobclosecry:
If pretty pictures are more your thing, we also have a thread for it, by the way.

What will it take for this wonderful community to get out of the steam thread a little ?

Status
Not open for further replies.