Community MetaSteam | January 2021 - It's Rare to See a Medium So Well-Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
People, if you read books with no illustrations, you know we have a thread for it ? Just checking :blobclosecry:
If pretty pictures are more your thing, we also have a thread for it, by the way.

What will it take for this wonderful community to get out of the steam thread a little ?
This! There are good threads outside the steam thread folks, give it a chance :cat-heart-blob:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Here's some info on the PC port
It's a fine port, but one clearly anchored to its console origins. The biggest bummer is the 60 fps cap, especially for an animation-heavy action game. Textures that look fine from the slight fuzz inherent to lower console resolutions pop on PC, and in a bad way. Awnings, vending machines, and anything that isn't just lines and color haven't been touched up for higher resolutions. Not devastating, but we like the royal treatment on PC.
It seems to be an average port which is the norm for most KT games.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
The Banner Saga 2 - 90% off - [UWSL][UWSL]€2.35[/UWSL][/UWSL] - Steam - Another price low

Has HBM been any good? I feel I'd end up owning most of the games in the backlog.
I personally believe they are a great deal for people who
a) are opend minded to play different kind of games
b) collectors

If you are just interested in 1 or 2 games each month then I would say it's probably not worth for you.
The latest offer that made 6 months for 6$ was a fantastic deal and even I subbed for my first time but canceled January because December was the month I was more interested in the featured games on it.

Reason: fixes
Reactions: Amzin

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
quality process of Koei's PC ports is suspiciously similar to how Square-Enix decides in which platform they are going to release a game :thinking-face:
FF 7 Part 2 landed on...Vita. Well, Vita it is. Get Mr. Kutaragi on the line please.

• Toucan
Reactions: QFNS and Mor

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Has HBM been any good? I feel I'd end up owning most of the games in the backlog.
It all comes down to whether
a) Are you Classic (pay $12 for bundle) or not
b) If any of the games in the bundle interest you

b is what matters most, so if a bundle has games you want and the price suits you, get it.

If anyone's in the mood for a musical puzzler, do check this game

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Oh that's what the acronym meant. I tend to think it's not worth the $12 so I've spent most of the year paused. I almost always have the good game in the bundle already, then I have to look up the other games, then decide if I'd rather just go to steam and spend the $12 on a game I actually want instead of the 11 whatever choices where I'm not even sure it's worth redeeming the key for ... there has to be a better way to do this bundle thing.

I'm not very happy with it but they don't give me trouble for pausing all the time so I'm not out anything. If you couldn't pause this would be an easy "no" for me. Right now it's annoying but harmless.

If it weren't for Classic, I'd have an even worse view of it. I can't see how it would ever be worth it at $20.

Reactions: Tomasety

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

Here's 2 hours of Persona 5 Strikers PC footage. Looks like it supports both Xbox and Switch button prompts, probably DS4 too which is pretty cool.

Seems like its the full game and not a preview build too. The person playing gets a steam achievement a few minutes in for finishing the tutorial.

"PREPARE2PLAY"

But I tried to enter it and while it said it might be invalid it applied the discount.

The prepare2play coupon was for 22% off. It was supposed to expire on the 21st but GMG ended the coupon early and just made the base discount 22% off without needing to use a coupon. + Extending the discount to Jan 31st. Which is why the coupon doesn't work anymore. You're getting the same discount either way.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
For info, there are now as many voters for GOTY 2020 as for GOTY 2018, and 8 days left before the vote ends.

With 17 additional voters, we would be on par with the vote for GOTY 2019.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Halfway through Legend of Kyrandia Book 1. This game has the worst elements of PnC adventure games of the 90s:
1. A friggin' Maze, and not just any maze, one where it's dark if you enter a room without a glowberry you die
2. A bizarre puzzle that eats up the gems you had in your inventory if you do not place gems unto a pedastal in the correct order. The order is randomized every playthrough so you could never know which is the right one unless you save and load, yeesh

Still it has a wonderful soundtrack and beautiful visuals

BEHOLD, THE GATES OF HELL

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Did anyone miss out on the Little Nightmares giveaway? My key finally came through. May only be EU/AUS though (can always try in other locations)

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Halfway through Legend of Kyrandia Book 1. This game has the worst elements of PnC adventure games of the 90s:
1. A friggin' Maze, and not just any maze, one where it's dark if you enter a room without a glowberry you die
2. A bizarre puzzle that eats up the gems you had in your inventory if you do not place gems unto a pedastal in the correct order. The order is randomized every playthrough so you could never know which is the right one unless you save and load, yeesh

Still it has a wonderful soundtrack and beautiful visuals
Legend of Kyrandia, what a classic! I remember using several sheets of paper to draw the maze back then, it was such a tedious area. Despite its shortcomings that soundtrack still resonates nowadays. Do you plan to play the trilogy?

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
Shadowrun games >>>>>>> single Cyberpunk 2077 in the video game realm imo

It's going to amazing how much of a absolute clusterfuck will follow cdpr for the years

It was AAA game not a even half ass funded indie game an fully fucking funded AAA game that had been hyped to hell and back

The absolute galaxy brain takes from their bosses should be amazing to read

Im going to assume their bosses are going to blame the programmers which in that case that's genuinely laughable

E: There are countless fucking isometric cyberpunk games besides Shadowrun that are better then what cyberpunk turned out

when your quality control turns out to be worse then some no name eurojank indie, then welcome to the hell world that Bethesda lives with their quality control

Last edited:

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I was feeling like replaying Disco Elysium, but I also wanted to wait for the Final Cut. So I decided to start Planescape: Torment for the first time instead. Seemed like a good compromise. It's really cool! I'm about 6 hours in, feel like I have made little-to-no real progress on the main quest, and yet I can already tell why this game is considered a classic. The combination of its bizarre setting and great writing is engrossing.

I also love that the combat is easy, at least for now. I've tried several other Infinity Engine games, and I've always bounced off of them because of how brutal their early-game fights were. I may have murdered a comical amount of street thugs in Torment, but at least I haven't had any difficulty doing it.

My favorite moment so far was after Marta gutted me. The text described the sound of one object hitting the floor, but two items were added to my inventory. When I went and looked, I found the ring that had hit the floor, along with my intestines. Nice of her to return them. Using the inventory system in such a gross and unexpected way made it as hilarious as it was macabre.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Legend of Kyrandia, what a classic! I remember using several sheets of paper to draw the maze back then, it was such a tedious area. Despite its shortcomings that soundtrack still resonates nowadays. Do you plan to play the trilogy?
Possibly yeah.

• Love
Reactions: Echoes

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I was feeling like replaying Disco Elysium, but I also wanted to wait for the Final Cut. So I decided to start Planescape: Torment for the first time instead. Seemed like a good compromise. It's really cool! I'm about 6 hours in, feel like I have made little-to-no real progress on the main quest, and yet I can already tell why this game is considered a classic. The combination of its bizarre setting and great writing is engrossing.

I also love that the combat is easy, at least for now. I've tried several other Infinity Engine games, and I've always bounced off of them because of how brutal their early-game fights were. I may have murdered a comical amount of street thugs in Torment, but at least I haven't had any difficulty doing it.

My favorite moment so far was after Marta gutted me. The text described the sound of one object hitting the floor, but two items were added to my inventory. When I went and looked, I found the ring that had hit the floor, along with my intestines. Nice of her to return them. Using the inventory system in such a gross and unexpected way made it as hilarious as it was macabre.
Did you never finish it ?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Avern
For the record, I want to state that your post was one of the first thing I read this morning. So 'start for the first time' transformed into 'start for the third time'.
I like to assume my shortcomings but don't overburden me, people :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:

I'm glad to be able to say that you are in for one hell of a ride then !

• Comfy
Reactions: Avern

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
:cho:
:mellow:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
when your quality control turns out to be worse then some no name eurojank indie
As someone who played (and enjoyed) a whole lot of "eurojank indie" games over the years/decades, and also played (and enjoyed) Cyberpunk, I can say with full confidence that this is simply factually wrong.
At least on PC which should be what we are talking about here.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
As someone who played (and enjoyed) a whole lot of "eurojank indie" games over the years/decades, and also played (and enjoyed) Cyberpunk, I can say with full confidence that this is simply factually wrong.
At least on PC which should be what we are talking about here.
Glad I'm not the only one taking issue with the strength of the statement being made there. Not to mention how absolutely bonkers that game (C77) is from a purely visual and aesthetic perspective.

I can also see the comparison with Shadowrun from a narrative perspective, but even there I don't think these games really revolutionize anything either. DragonFall was fantastic, to be sure, but in such a comparison, I fail to see anything revolutionary in it. It's just a damn good game, in its own way, with a few narrative beats I'll remember for a long time.

I can definitively see how CDPR misled and might have lied, the Console gameplay footage demonstrated in its very slow pans an awareness of the performance issues. But to dunk on QA for this is like being an asshole to a waiter. This was a business decision, something that belonged with studio owners, not the guys in the trenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.