Community MetaSteam | January 2021 - It's Rare to See a Medium So Well-Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah, I miss good old days when reviews had been text-based, though I guess it's easier for someone to just speak one's impressions instead of writing them.

Reactions: lashman

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Yeah, fucking reviews are PhD grade dissertations now. I bet the review is longer than the fucking game.
I mean the review does contain TWO full length let's plays of the game, so yes... it is longer.

that's impressive ... but yeah - there's no fucking way in hell i'm gonna watch this ... i just can't take that shit anymore, lol :p everyone suddenly makes 90+ min essays about shit ... who even has the time to watch that? like, come on
I will rather play videogames or read books than listening to review if I have six hours to spare 🤣
Yeah, I miss good old days when reviews had been text-based, though I guess it's easier for someone to just speak one's impressions instead of writing them.
I too miss text based reviews, though I bet with the length of some of these he could just publish a novel instead. However, I think all of you are missing the point. His "reviews" aren't really reviews. You shouldn't be watching them to know if a game is good or if you should buy it. Hell you probably don't want to watch these videos without playing the games or at least have some foreknowledge of the games being discussed. These ARE dissertations. Critical essays about games. Stories about life. Discussions of game design. The fact that its called a review is really a misnomer, I wish he'd change the name to essays or something. I don't watch these to learn about the games (although you do A LOT of that), I watch them to learn about everything around the game.

FOR INSTANCE: Did you know Koji Igarashi (IGA of Castlevania fame) worked as a writer on Tokimeki Memorial? And that during the making of that game he helped playtest Dracula X: Rondo of Blood which was being made in the same office at the same time? And after Tokimeki Memorial came out asked to be transferred to the Castlevania team where the very next game they made was... Symphony of the Night which he co-directed? That sort of info is what makes these things interesting. Every video has this stuff. The tidbits that go alongside the info about the game is real draw.

Everyone of his videos has been 3 hours (and this one would be too if you omit the two full let's plays of the game in between). They are truly media to savor and enjoy a bit at a time when you are interested in having some thoughts about games. Not something to watch in the background. I make liberal use of youtube saving my place in a video when I am ready to go on. He also breaks them up into chapters, but honestly even those are often longer than I have time for.

I won't fault anyone for wanting to have some light watching or a quick read about a game, but I love that something like this gets made for people who want to think deeply about games and learn what connects them with each other. And as I said, DON'T WATCH THEM ALL AT ONCE. Like hell man, I'm not spending 6 hours, or even 3 hours watching these straight through. Holy cow. No. I could barely sit though Lord of the Rings Return of the King, and I REALLY LIKED that movie. Watch them in 20-30min increments while eating lunch or something. Thankfully he takes about a month or more to put out each one so you absolutely won't fall behind.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Tizoc if nobody helped you I can do it in a moment.

Tizoc As I was saying, I'm good now. What do you want ? Is this a 'refer a friend invite' ?
Invite sent anyway, but I helped a Meta peep get a discount last year and it doesn't look like what I have done then (in my very hazy memory).
Oh, fuck, did you want the 20% off ? I will send that too, not awake 'awake' right now.

Horrible, horrible misunderstanding. At least I showed I care, but yeah :sweaty-blob:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tizoc

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Humble could have at least start year with really good bundle. Oh well it is good for 6$ i guess.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So I've been hearing about this Xbox gamepass conversion ultimate/gold trick for a while now but I am still confused how it works exactly.

I have PC Ultimate now so if I go buy a couple years of gold...will it automatically be converted to ultimate when I redeem it?

Or

Is this just a thing for console owners who never had ultimate but do have gold. And they can just auto convert by getting ultimate for the first time?

I kinda don't wanna fuck around and buy gold subs since I don't even own an Xbox. But I do believe you can redeem subs through your MS account anyways right? The idea of getting several years of PC gamepass ultimate for cheap is appealing especially after they acquired Bethesda :sneaky:.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I have PC Ultimate now so if I go buy a couple years of gold...will it automatically be converted to ultimate when I redeem it?
The other way around. You need to not have Gamepass Ultimate, so for example just standard Gamepass or nothing at all. Then you buy some time with Xbox Games Gold. It seems it's easy to find 36 month packages from resellers.
Then when you upgrade to Ultimate (this needs to be a paid upgrade), it will transform the time you have for Gold into Gamepass Ultimate, with a 1:1 ratio.

Reactions: PC-tan and yuraya

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The other way around. You need to not have Gamepass Ultimate, so for example just standard Gamepass or nothing at all. Then you buy some time with Xbox Games Gold. It seems it's easy to find 36 month packages from resellers.
Then when you upgrade to Ultimate (this needs to be a paid upgrade), it will transform the time you have for Gold into Gamepass Ultimate, with a 1:1 ratio.
So it can be done without a console right?

So I wait until my ultimate expires later this year then sub to regular 10$ per month GP. Then I buy a bunch of gold + resub to ultimate and it will work?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So it can be done without a console right?

So I wait until my ultimate expires later this year then sub to regular 10$ per month GP. Then I buy a bunch of gold + resub to ultimate and it will work?
You don't have to subscribe just let it run out, it works if you don't subscribe to anything, then just add the gold and then resub to ultimate.

Reactions: PC-tan and yuraya

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
TIL: Steam Controller v2 and Neptune are separate projects.
So we can say that Steam Controller v2 is dead for sure, I guess.
I think Neptune sightings are from early 2020 Mor maybe remembers better?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Heads up
If you got Chaosbane from the bundle
The Season Pass is cheap over at gamersgate.com and uk.gamersgate.com
Do note that it won't give EVERYTHING as some dlc are not part of it :X

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

I would guess Neptune is new type of controller for a new VR system Valve is working on, a successor to the Index. Seems consistent to what Valve has been working on in the last few years.
No Hitman 3 in the OP 😟
Why would a 2022 game be in the OP for January 2021?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
This month marks 1 year since I ended my PS Plus membership. I was scared I would feel a need to resub, but I have pretty much forgotten about it. I might resub 1 month to grab Destruction All-Stars for free (otherwise it costs 70€).

Reactions: C-Dub

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I would guess Neptune is new type of controller for a new VR system Valve is working on, a successor to the Index. Seems consistent to what Valve has been working on in the last few years.
I don't think VR uses Steam Input (Knucles don't exists in this at least), so this is likely actual Steam Controller variation Valve has (at some point of time) worked on.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
New historical lowest price for:

Cities: Skylines - 88% off - €3.33 - Steam - // This game was given for free on Steam store on 3/27/2020 (yet I missed it )
GUILTY GEAR Xrd -REVELATOR- - 88% off - €3.33 - Steam
Horace - 77% off - €3.33 - Steam
Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story - 74% off - €3.33 - Steam
Hell Warders - 77% off - €3.33 - Steam
Bite the Bullet - 73% off - €3.33 - Steam
REZ PLZ - 77% off - €3.33 - Steam
Adventures of Chris - 73% off - €3.33 - Steam

The first thing that crossed my mind while reading Neptune was : "how is Hiperdimension Neptunia related to Steam Controller v2 lol" and then I saw the picture and got a better understanding about the topic.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

I got kinda confused by this, what is the connection between V2 and Neptune?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Aaand got all the dlc for Chaosbane :V Hella whack mishmashing of dlc from everywhere in order to bring down the slayer edition's price but in the end I'm ready for playing it :V

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I am pretty bad at playing action games, so the challenges in Batman Arkham Asylum are... well, challenging. Going to spend more time practicing.
hopefully they got paid well
Players will pay them well if they release it on steam... Well, publishing is hard and economy is difficult, so I understand their decision to take the money from Tim. Hopefully they won't continue doing this when releasing 007.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I am pretty bad at playing action games, so the challenges in Batman Arkham Asylum are... well, challenging. Going to spend more time practicing.
Something that might help is the speed-hack feature of Cheat Engine. You open an application you want, then select it in Cheat Engine and can then try to use the hack to manipulate the speed at which everything is simulated. Together with a hotkey, it makes for a nice way to add a turbo mode to nearly every game. It can also use values lower than 1.0, I think, so you could slow down bits to make challenges easier.

Reactions: sk2k and Cacher

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Dead? maybe not
On hold? maybe yes

Neptune was early 2020, that is correct, we also discussed this and found out that it was an unknown config that got a firmware.
Nobody has voted in 2021 yet! :stupefy: :wtf:
Don't worry, I will vote later today :cat-heart-blob:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Something that might help is the speed-hack feature of Cheat Engine. You open an application you want, then select it in Cheat Engine and can then try to use the hack to manipulate the speed at which everything is simulated. Together with a hotkey, it makes for a nice way to add a turbo mode to nearly every game. It can also use values lower than 1.0, I think, so you could slow down bits to make challenges easier.
Thanks for the advice. But I am a traditional person, so I never cheat :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:. The challenges are difficult but fun, so I am willing to put more time into them rather than just abandon and move on.

Last edited:
  • This!
Reactions: Tomasety

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Wait, you can hotkey speedhack in CE!?

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Put about 1 hour into Castlevania LoS2 but it's such poorly designed game that it doesn't feel worthy of my time.
It also treats the player like a toddler, I can't believe how much it beats you over the head with explaining every little thing.
Trying to get into Atelier Ryza but it's not clicking with me, I really want to like it but I just feel bored, gonna give it another shot later.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
My main reason for why I play all JRPGs on PC is because of Cheat Engine and trainers. I really like them, but I suck at many of them for whatever reason, CE and trainers are my saviors.

The fact that I finished P5 on PS4 last year is incredible to me (and why Im not buying Royal unless a PC version releases). I also finished the Xenoblade games, but with "cheats". I bought the expansion pass for Xenoblade 2 mainly because it added a custom difficulty which made the game easier and I used a save editor on PC to edit my Wii/WiiU save of Xenoblade Chronicles and X to make it easier for me.

So P5 and Xenoblade games are the only JRPGs Ive finished on consoles.

JRPGs are mostly really long games and I got other stuff to do. Without methods of making them easier I would probably not finish them and the methods made the games far more enjoyable.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Put about 1 hour into Castlevania LoS2 but it's such poorly designed game that it doesn't feel worthy of my time.
It also treats the player like a toddler, I can't believe how much it beats you over the head with explaining every little thing.
This is extremely sad, since I loved the first LoS a lot. Incredible how they managed to ruin the sequel so much. 😞

• This!
Reactions: Dragon1893

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So I've been hearing about this Xbox gamepass conversion ultimate/gold trick for a while now but I am still confused how it works exactly.

Or

Is this just a thing for console owners who never had ultimate but do have gold. And they can just auto convert by getting ultimate for the first time?

I kinda don't wanna fuck around and buy gold subs since I don't even own an Xbox. But I do believe you can redeem subs through your MS account anyways right? The idea of getting several years of PC gamepass ultimate for cheap is appealing especially after they acquired Bethesda :sneaky:.
I actually made a post about this the other day.

I spent like $200USD and was able to get 3 years of XGPU. I spent ~$80 USD during Black Friday buying 3 months codes of 3 months of GPU. I also spent about $120 USD on 2 years of Xbox Live Gold. Someone also gave me codes this holiday season.

So I redeemed 3 years of Xbox Live Gold and then I upgraded for $1 USD and was even given 2 months for free by MS even though the cap is 3 years of a sub.

I'm set until March 2024 and I still have another year code for GPU and I also have a 6 month code some one game me so I'm set until some time in 2026 it would seem actually.

For me it's worth it seeing how I have an XSX and right now I was playing Titanfall 1 on it. The main difference I noticed between that version and the PC version just seems to be AA and how it's much more noticeable on stuff like blades of grass. But I'm actually able to get into matches and not have it disconnect and stuff.

Since you have a sub right now for GPU and if you were to add Gold it would let you but it would not be 1:1 rather you would get it converted to just a few days/months. There is a table that you can look that up.

But once your membership expires then you should be able to convert stuff like that. That is assuming you can still even buy stuff like Gold. I think it was earlier this year that places like Costco stopped selling 2 year cards and MS themselves no longer let you buy a year of gold anymore. So if you wanted to I would recommend getting some cards assuming that they don't actually expire.

Also it's not just gold I think it works with regular game pass as well. The whole point of the conversion thing is to get you into GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.