Community MetaSteam | January 2021 - It's Rare to See a Medium So Well-Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It may actually end up being that one EA VR game Phasmaphobia actually just based off popularity
That could win in other categories like coop/multiplayer/non violent (as in no shooting as the core)/innovative, and it's so popular cos it's non-VR just as well. To me it should go to Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, it's not great in every aspect (neither are all the other contenders honestly, there are shortcomings even with Alyx despite the single minded goals they had with it) but it's still the meatiest VR game that thrives on more than the VR twist itself, but it didn't sell crazy.

Valve should hype VR more, maybe they should have separate awards for flat and for VR games so that more could be highlighted, pure multiplayer, pvp, coop, great graphics, roguelite, shooter, puzzle, story, art, music, same as all the awards but for VR (and maybe have the all encompassing entry for best VR & non VR game for the likes of Phasmophobia, Project Wingman, Squadrons, etc.). Like I can't possibly claim VTOL VR is some GOTY material but it deserves praise for sure and so does Grapple Tournament alongside plenty other games, there are enough out there now to make extensive awards.

With the hype of Quest 2 they should be more aggressive & go hey, PC has great VR, don't stay in Facebook's walled garden, your Quest has a 2nd home here.
No, back when the game was episodic it was suggested one of the perks of it being that way was having a steady stream of levels that could theoretically be endlessly released, at least until it was time for a new engine. It was described as a platform.

Obviously things changed as it didn't sell that great and they went back to the old model but the ideas are still the same. I think they probably gave up on hoping the IP grew to some massively successful thing (if they ever did hope that) and are settled in a good formula. They know the hitman fans just want new levels with some new tricks, it really doesn't have to be anything deeper. I mean really the game formula is largely the same going all the way back to hitman 1 like 20 years ago, the idea has just been expanded on since then. And it works, it's an idea that can be iterated on endlessly as long as you have talented level designers.
I agree with all this expect I'd turn that "no" into a "yes" and leave the rest intact :p

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Stuff I'm playing atm.

The Sojourn - Meh/5 so far. Game already looks overly long and very samey.

Rover Mechanic Simulator - Pretty cool/5. My first post-uni job was in mobile robotics, so not sure why I waited on this. Though I was more test bed analysis, sensor data acquisition and comparative data source analysis.

Call of Duty 2 - Awesome/5 - I wonder at what point the CoD series changed from a warning about war to a blatant recruitment exercise? This one even has Bertrand Russell quotes, Bertrand Russell!

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Played the first 4 or so missions of Doom Eternal. Gotta admit am a bit disappointed and underwhelmed.

Not to say its bad or anything like that. Just doesn't seem like a worthy sequel to the 2016 game.

Very overtutorialized and hand holdy
Level design seems meh
Some half troll attempt at a story
A bit too reliant on platforming as well

At this point dashing around and glory killing is all the game has going for it. Its challenging which is what really makes me appreciate it some what.

Don't know if the game gets better in 2nd half but it kinda seems like the creative team phoned it in.

Hopefully they put more effort into a 3rd version when they make it because the tech is incredible. It deserves more than just making games for the sake of making them.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Me: "Maybe I will start Monster Sanctuary once I am done with Yakuza: LAD"

What's New feed: "Monster Sanctuary Roadmap"

Me after reading that: "Guess I will wait a bit longer then"

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Awesome Games Done Quick 2021 starts today

Cool, good 2021 start. My two bank accounts ask for 2FA, they only know SMS, I have no more mobile.
Annoyed, but not surprised. Maybe in several years they will discover other methods of 2FA.
lol, OTP via mobile is the primary security measure here for online and for re-assigning Pin code for cards.
TBH I can't think of any other method besides e-mail but e-mail isn't that common over here due to our elderly population so they stick to SMS messages since it is secure.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
lol, OTP via mobile is the primary security measure here for online and for re-assigning Pin code for cards.
TBH I can't think of any other method besides e-mail but e-mail isn't that common over here due to our elderly population so they stick to SMS messages since it is secure.
I guess, but email would be convenient for me. Or phone call. Anything but SMS.
And it's a little jarring to see 'choose from these 2FA methods' and only being offered one :cold-sweat:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Awesome Games Done Quick 2021 starts today

Yesssss. Give me more speedrun goodness!

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
How's everyone? :cat-heart-blob:

I have been beating FFX like crazy (I will finish it probably tomorrow as I'm at Yunalesca's) and relaxing myself to start this year with all the energy of the world :cat-heart-blob:
I have been stealth killing my way through chapter 3 of Evil Within 2.
It's almost hilarious how powerful you feel compared to the first game with how easy the AI is to manipulate.

Also started reading Higurashi chapter 7.
And started up Scarlet Grace again.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I doubt it since they recently launched a new console and will want customers to focus on that. I wouldn't expect anything until after E3.
Well if Bloodborne is releasing this year and according to Queenie Demon's Souls Remake is late 21/early 2022 and then again Elden Ring at some point in 21/22, maybe Bloodborne need to release early this year?

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I think I should be able to finish Cyberpunk 2077 today, just got the message saying I reached the point of no return.

Reactions: ISee

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
PS5 is too hot and too fresh.
Even if Sony is stumbling into the PC business, their brand and their fan base isn't ready yet.
In other words, staying silent is the most logical, current approach: Demand is high, availability low, PS5 is selling like crazy. There is no reasons to do anything right now.
The fan base is never gonna be ready. Just Horizon announcement and Death Stranding created meltdowns. Bloodborne, probably the most wanted PS game for PC, will create meltdowns and chaos among the fanbase regardless when it's announced.

And then imagine the chaos DeS will bring. Bloodborne is at the very least an old game.

I expect Bloodborne PC to be announced in a blog post.

Reactions: Shahem and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The fan base is never gonna be ready. Just Horizon announcement and Death Stranding created meltdowns. Bloodborne, probably the most wanted PS game for PC, will create meltdowns and chaos among the fanbase regardless when it's announced.

And then imagine the chaos DeS will bring. Bloodborne is at the very least an old game.
Exactly and that's why an announcement, when demand is still incredible and the fans on fire, doesn't make sense.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Exactly and that's why an announcement, when demand is still incredible and the fans on fire, doesn't make sense.
So if DeS is releasing late 21/early 22 and Bloodborne is releasing mid-21/late 21. Won't BB and DeS be to close?

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
PS5 is too hot and too fresh.
Even if Sony is stumbling into the PC business, their brand and their fan base isn't ready yet.
In other words, staying silent is the most logical, current approach: Demand is high, availability low, PS5 is selling like crazy. There is no reasons to do anything right now.
Nah, if they announce something it will be the less noisy way possible, the HZD way, a blogpost with an store page and call the day.

Reactions: Tomasety and ISee

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Sony won't be quiet until E3. They'll have a couple of State of Plays until then. Those direct things are perfect to announce a bunch of PS5 remasters of older titles and get people to double dip (or wtvr) on their new console. That is where it'll happen.

I wonder what E3 will even be this year. Probably another summer mess of scattered announcements. I really hope Keighley is able to get MS/Sony/Nintendo on the same page and produce some type of 2/3 day event for trailers etc. I think he is the only hope for that shit to happen otherwise summer will be ruined again :(

Reactions: Tomasety

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

I expect Bloodborne PC to be announced in a blog post.
There were already melt downs when Demon Souls said timed Exclusive. Eve though we now know that that was just a template that they used for Sony Exclusive titles, as a generic thing.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
So if DeS is releasing late 21/early 22 and Bloodborne is releasing mid-21/late 21. Won't BB and DeS be to close?
No. Why should it. People waited long enough, they'll buy it even if it released with just one month apart.

Reactions: yuraya

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
From a business PoV it doesn't make any sense for Sony to announce anything PC related during this fiscal year. And after that it's vacation season which is always dry on gaming news and releases.
So the most optimistic bet is somewhere around October 2021 but I'm convinced they'll let it slide to 2022. They'll want to use 2021 to create a playerbase and sell units and releasing stuff on PC won't help them achieve it.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
From a business PoV it doesn't make any sense for Sony to announce anything PC related during this fiscal year. And after that it's vacation season which is always dry on gaming news and releases.
So the most optimistic bet is somewhere around October 2021 but I'm convinced they'll let it slide to 2022. They'll want to use 2021 to create a playerbase and sell units and releasing stuff on PC won't help them achieve it.
Well they announced Horizon for PC in march last year.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I don't think they will sit on Bloodborne PC until October 2021 if it has been tested that many times already.
It's likely a Q1 2021 release.

I expect GOW PC to be July-August 2021 like Horizon.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't think they will sit on Bloodborne PC until October 2021 if it has been tested that many times already.
It's likely a Q1 2021 release.

I expect GOW PC to be July-August 2021 like Horizon.
Yeah, me too, and DeS will most likely be in 2022 sometime, same with Spidey.

Reactions: QFNS and Shahem

guhguh222444

thou who art undead art chosen
Aug 23, 2020
HZD PC was announced on what, March 10th? So look out for any suspicious posts about Japan Studio or FromSoft from Playstation on a Tuesday in the late February/early March period.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Yeah, me too, and DeS will most likely be in 2022 sometime, same with Spidey.
I think that's reasonable. I would imagine Sony would want as many PS4 ports to PC as possible as soon as they could. Those games could be completely outdated graphically in 2022.

Demon Souls and Spider-Man can easily wait until 2022 but not stuff like The Last of Us, Days Gone etc..

I expect nothing PC related from Sony this year, the focus is all on shifting PS5
Read the OP. God of War PC is 2021 apparently.

PC releases won't take anything away from their console. Not everyone cares about PC gaming.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Nothing? Not even Bloodborne which have apparently been playtested for months?
Not any game from Queen's now famous list ?

bloodborne
god of war
days gone
uncharted collection
the last of us 1 and 2
ghost of tsushima

I find it hard to believe they would wait until 2022 to further their PC strategy.

It just does not make any sense at all to wait that long. Games have expiration dates in the eye of the public. The longer you wait the lower you can ask for them.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Not any game from Queen's now famous list ?

bloodborne
god of war
days gone
uncharted collection
the last of us 1 and 2
ghost of tsushima

I find it hard to believe they would wait until 2022 to further their PC strategy.

It just does not make any sense at all to wait that long. Games have expiration dates in the eye of the public. The longer you wait the lower you can ask for them.
Sonys main goal is to make money. Their PS5 plans isn't suddenly gonna change because they wanna put some PS4 games on PC lol. A lot of the PC port work is also most likely outsourced anyway, BB is apparently worked on by QLOC.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Sonys main goal is to make money. Their PS5 plans isn't suddenly gonna change because they wanna put some PS4 games on PC lol. A lot of the PC port work is also most likely outsourced anyway, BB is apparently worked on by QLOC.
I'm not disagreeing with that. The PS5 is not going to stop selling because of PC ports of PS4 exclusives and Sony can certainly keep promoting their console while working on PC versions.

I'm expecting Bloodborne to release in April. Announced in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.