Community MetaSteam | January 2021 - It's Rare to See a Medium So Well-Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
This is extremely sad, since I loved the first LoS a lot. Incredible how they managed to ruin the sequel so much. 😞
LoS2 much like 1 is a mixed bag;
Some good stuff mixed with bad stuff
In LoS2 they added in an option for auto QTEs which was great because they broke the flow of the gameplay for me.
However while combat in LoS2 is nice, it has some rather silly stuff like a forced stealth section that served no purpose because you were supposed to avoid an enemy from detecting you...said enemy is fought after the stealth section as a boss.

Reactions: Ge0force and QFNS

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
My main reason for why I play all JRPGs on PC is because of Cheat Engine and trainers. I really like them, but I suck at many of them for whatever reason, CE and trainers are my saviors.

The fact that I finished P5 on PS4 last year is incredible to me (and why Im not buying Royal unless a PC version releases). I also finished the Xenoblade games, but with "cheats". I bought the expansion pass for Xenoblade 2 mainly because it added a custom difficulty which made the game easier and I used a save editor on PC to edit my Wii/WiiU save of Xenoblade Chronicles and X to make it easier for me.

So P5 and Xenoblade games are the only JRPGs Ive finished on consoles.

JRPGs are mostly really long games and I got other stuff to do. Without methods of making them easier I would probably not finish them and the methods made the games far more enjoyable.
Agreed, so much. Many JRPGs really don't respect people's time, and are grindy in ways I just don't understand. I used CE in a couple of games lately, and I'm really thankful we can have a say in some designers' boneheaded decisions.

Reactions: QFNS

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
How does the Japanese people play JRPG when most of their time is pretty much study or work?

I started to play Zwei The Arges Adventure. At level one it took me forever to kill monsters, it hit made 1-2 HP damage and the monsters had like 50 hp. After the first level up the damage went up 7x, a huge difference 😁
Leveling is weird too, all food items give exp. Nothing else give exp. The food also restores the HP. So I'm not sure if I play the game correctly by only gain exp when I'm low on HP

Last edited:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
How does the Japanese people play JRPG when most of their time is pretty much study or work?

I started to play Zwei The Arges Adventure. At level one it took me forever to kill monsters, it hit made 1-2 HP damage and the monsters had like 50 hp. After the first level up the damage went up 7x, a huge difference 😁
Leveling is weird too, all food items give exp. Nothing else give exp. The food also restores the HP. So I'm not sure if I play the game correctly by only gain exp when I'm low on HP
By becoming anime itself

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
lmao

Same!

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018

It's a Falcom game, a single level up is night and day indeed.
Zwei are weird games though, try to keep your food, trade it in the city, 10 crappy ones give you 1 much stronger one. That's how you XP fast in those.

• This!
Reactions: Echoes

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
It's a Falcom game, a single level up is night and day indeed.
Zwei are weird games though, try to keep your food, trade it in the city, 10 crappy ones give you 1 much stronger one. That's how you XP fast in those.
Pretty much what the game suggest :smiling-eyes:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Pretty much what the game suggest :smiling-eyes:
You can actually buy healing items that don't give XP with money. I would suggest doing this instead of eating food, instead saving them to upgrade for a higher level version.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Doesn't steam show what everyone is buying anymore? I liked that feature a lot.

Anyway finally bought some things.

+ Yakuza Kiwami outside steam
Yeah, it looks like to be dead for some reason :(

• Sad

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Handhelds while commuting, duh.
We're going back to the Gameboy era here, but I always felt that commuting and just... waiting for whatever reason was the perfects moment to play some rhythm or light puzzle game like Tetris.

But a JRPG? That always felt like the absolute opposite of that, especially since for the longest time you could not save when you wanted, and it was always about a lot of "cinematic" moments that certainly aren't made for having half your attention in pretty bad conditions.

Never understood that.
Or well, I kinda do, since so many DS/3DS/Vita JRPGs are just mindless grinders and have little to do with the golden age of the genre. Hell, automatic play really started with them, like it did for Persona.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
[UWSL]I started to play Zwei The Arges Adventure. At level one it took me forever to kill monsters, it hit made 1-2 HP damage and the monsters had like 50 hp. After the first level up the damage went up 7x, a huge difference [/UWSL]😁
I was planning to start Zwei next week, so thanks for the warning 😊

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Zwei AA is a little hard to get into but Zwei II is much more accessible and follows similar level up system as its predecessor.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018

Apparently some of them don't work or study and play jrpgs all day. And devs give them a slog grindfest worth 100h of 'content'. Or less than 5 days of playtime.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Woah. Steering wheel support. :dana_bed:

from the steam page said:
23:(Custom): Take full control of the iVIBRATE vibration algorithm, allowing you to make a completely custom vibration pattern suited to your needs and tastes. You are no longer bound by predefined patterns, let your creative juices flow!
Sure, creative juices. Let's go with that! :dana_blanket:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Hmmm... I believe I have started playing Zwei with Zwei 2... :lul:

Zwei 2 was released in 2017 on Steam:

Zwei 1 was released in 2018:

So I assumed Zwei 2 was actually the first game... Oh, Gabe and his release dates... :kappa:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
So I assumed Zwei 2 was actually the first game
You are correct. XSEED released Zwei Ilvard first, followed by Zwei Arges the following year. Apart from certain characters reappearing in Zwei Ilvard, you don't lose anything by playing Ilvard first, the storylines of each game are entirely separate.

• Eyes

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
You are correct. XSEED released Zwei Ilvard first, followed by Zwei Arges the following year. Apart from certain characters reappearing in Zwei Ilvard, you don't lose anything by playing Ilvard first, the storylines of each game are entirely separate.
But, Steam aside, which one is chronologically first? The 3D game or the 2D game? I am even more confused now. :thinking:

• Eyes

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
But, Steam aside, which one is chronologically first? The 3D game or the 2D game?
The Arges Adventure is the first game. You can actually observe this from the art style, being probably second to last game where Falcom started to make their transition to 3D graphics.

• Eyes

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I remember last year (might've been early 2020) I made a post predicting that ALL games in the top 100 steam stats page would break 10k+ concurrent users

At the time, the first ~70 games on the list were over 10k, while the last ~30 fizzled out between 9k and 5k concurrent. This is how the bottom of the list looks atm, having missed the peak by several hours:

Essentially, more than 100 games peak at 10k concurrent, which is a very healthy number. Just as interesting is that the 12 top games are all over 1ook peak, while some games like Path of Exile (currently 13k peak) will definitely join them when the new league begins in a few days.

It's been a good year for PC growth.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
There is a new handy tool for looking for cool community items, including badges:

It works for avatar frames, etc. See the tabs at the top:

The Arges Adventure is the first game. You can actually observe this from the art style, being probably second to last game where Falcom started to make their transition to 3D graphics.
Thanks! 👌

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Tomasety and Kvik

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I beat the first boss after a few tries in Zwei 1. The game is pretty difficult since the view is so small and the monsters and bosses can attack off screen, especially if they have ranged attacks. So I am pretty much spamming attacks randomly...

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018
Been playing Trails in the Sky FC via GPD Win Max on my commute. Previously it was FFX when I first got it. Time adds up when you are going to work for full time.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
think I'm done with Guacamelee 2 for now. was really enjoying it and thought the STCE of the first game had a pretty reasonable difficulty curve up until the final boss, but there's a mandatory point late in the second temple where you're trapped in a confined room with an enemy that can spawn more enemies and that's only vulnerable to a specific special move (the headbutt, which is harder to pull off in the right direction than the other special moves) and it just feels absurdly cheap and based more on luck than skill. bleah

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Aw snap, I missed the GMG pre-order discount for Nioh 2, and I can't find anything now. :pensive-face:

It looks like isthereanydeal doesn't track vouchers either, no history of GMG discount there.

• Sad
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and PC-tan

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
wow, Wide Ocean Big Jacket is really good. one of those indie narrative games that doesn't look like much but ends up being way more than the sum of its parts

it was in the itch.io Racial Justice Bundle last summer, so there's a good chance you already own it, but here's the Steam link just in case;

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Current Shopping Cart. That 3D Mark is me being optimistic regarding my GPU XD

Epic Mickey 2 is part of this pack if you're not adverse to using other sites of somewhat questionable means! (somewhere between cdkeys and G2A)

Cdkeys also have the packs for a bit more than eneba.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Don't 3 similar Hitman games over 5 years seem a bit too much?
No, back when the game was episodic it was suggested one of the perks of it being that way was having a steady stream of levels that could theoretically be endlessly released, at least until it was time for a new engine. It was described as a platform.

Obviously things changed as it didn't sell that great and they went back to the old model but the ideas are still the same. I think they probably gave up on hoping the IP grew to some massively successful thing (if they ever did hope that) and are settled in a good formula. They know the hitman fans just want new levels with some new tricks, it really doesn't have to be anything deeper. I mean really the game formula is largely the same going all the way back to hitman 1 like 20 years ago, the idea has just been expanded on since then. And it works, it's an idea that can be iterated on endlessly as long as you have talented level designers.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Anyone else has problems with the whats new section? It stopped on the 23th of December

• Toucan
Reactions: yuraya

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I remember last year (might've been early 2020) I made a post predicting that ALL games in the top 100 steam stats page would break 10k+ concurrent users

At the time, the first ~70 games on the list were over 10k, while the last ~30 fizzled out between 9k and 5k concurrent. This is how the bottom of the list looks atm, having missed the peak by several hours:

Essentially, more than 100 games peak at 10k concurrent, which is a very healthy number. Just as interesting is that the 12 top games are all over 1ook peak, while some games like Path of Exile (currently 13k peak) will definitely join them when the new league begins in a few days.

It's been a good year for PC growth.
That's very interesting, a good indication I think of the platform's continuing growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.