Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
"Sony should just buy other studios themselves"

non-MS publisher when Sony walks in the door: "well, well, well. If it isn't the desperate puppy drowning right now, in need of a lifeline."

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
But I’m not getting less choice, there’s just a different person signing the cheques now. Call of Duty is still coming anyway.

And it’s not like it’s any different in movies or music either after all. This is what happens with big industries over time 🤷‍♂️
I guess I'm just trying not to be complacent about an industry moving in that direction, since it's a bad direction.

Sony does not have MS fuck you money to pull this kind of stuff anyway
I'm sure Sony does, but the Gaming division itself I doubt has that kind of cash to toss around

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Yeah... this isn't looking good for Sony, The majority of people buy consoles to play COD/FIFA, IMO, those people will buy the console that has COD, if MS decides to sunset Warzone for something else, Sony is pretty much fucked.

• Eyes

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
All Sony needs to do is start competing a little harder, doncha know. Now that Microsoft's lighting a fire under their asses, maybe they'll make their ecosystem more appealing with services worth having :ripblob:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Same, sorry but I have said before I think fears of consolidation are overblown
Perhaps. But Microsoft has proven several times already what a shitty and anti-consumer company they can be when they have a very successful product. If/when that happens again, people will realize how many popular and long running franchises and studios this will affect.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I was just thinking, Crash and/or Spyro by Rare... Probably a long shot, if they don't give a fuck for Banjo..., lol.

• Eyes

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I was just thinking, Crash and/or Spyro by Rare... Probably a long shot, if they don't give a fuck for Banjo..., lol.
Yeah, given how well Sea of Thieves is doing i don't think we'll see Banjo for a few years yet. This ActiBlizz/MS deal won't be done for another 18 months so i don't expect any big visible changes until then at least.

• Eyes

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Consolidation is the only part about this that has any real value. Shrinking the industry isn't worth it 'for CoD on mah gamepass!'. Let Actard burn to the ground instead and the staff found new studios free of the terrible problems they were working under
I've never touched Call of Duty, and have played very few other Activision games, probably about five total in the past eight years or so where I've been independent and in control of my own money. I don't have much interest in their games coming to Gamepass or otherwise being available to me, besides Crash Bandicoot I suppose.
The way I see it, consolidation is probably inevitable with the current trajectory of The Economy, whatever the hell that is. And if consolidation is going to happen, the Microsoft of now is probably the best entity to do it. They have diverse leadership that generally aren't bigots, they have enough income outside of games to lean on, their studios generally don't seem to have crunch issues outside of 343, and so on.
It's the Microsoft of a decade from now that I'm worried about. But thats a problem for 35-year-old me.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
wow cool, 5 years from now the whole videogame industry will be owned by 3 companies just like the movie industry
and after some sappy pep talk emil, master chief and crash will teleport to the Core of the MetaVerse to fight an evil CEO and his goons and give everything back to where it belongs, in the hands of the true fans

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I mean you joke, but I still wonder what will happen in 5-15 years time when Gabe retires. Especially if he fails to achieve his brain computer interface stuff and upload his brain to the Steam servers.
From what I've heard a lot of Valve employees have shares in Valve, especially long time employees. I wouldn't be surprised if Gabe is the majority shareholder though.

Honestly it will be interesting to see what happens with Valve. Gabe is getting close to retirement age.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Wow I didn't realize how low ActiBlizzards shares were. The company I work for (not gaming) is being acquired for $95 a share and we're one of the least well-off fish in our sea. Fewer shares of course but still - a competently, non-corrupt run ActiBlizzard would never have been affordable. Really remarkable the shareholders never took stronger action against the company.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Microsoft has 3 launchers now, Battle.net, Bethesda.net and Microsoft store. Wonder if they keep all or will merge? Seems like something that could be huge undertaking.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Microsoft has 3 launchers now, Battle.net, Bethesda.net and Microsoft store. Wonder if they keep all or will merge? Seems like something that could be huge undertaking.
MS can't handle 1 launcher (Xbox App), letting them handling all 3 of those trash launchers will not work out for them.

Valve seems to have monopoly on competent storefront programmers.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
look at how long it took them to start merging Minceraft launcher
I'm guessing most likely it'll be a long term transition, I'm guessing they'll start with releasing new games without needing those launchers (at least Starfield doesn't say that it needs the Bethesda launcher on the Steam store page? Though it may be too early to be sure), but no idea what they'll do or if they'll do anything about already released games.

Status
Not open for further replies.