Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
One of the replies mentions a rumor about a major 3rd party playstation exclusive, but dunno how that would be bigger than MS buying ActiBlizzard.
Sony must be scrambling pretty hard right now. They sell a lot of Playstations every year thanks to COD. If Microsoft shuts off that release (and they will....maybe not this year but next for sure).... Sony are gonna need a big 3rd party for that window. Maybe pay EA a lot of $$$ for FIFA exclusivity because outside of FIFA I can't think of any big 3rd party games. I don't even think Madden sells a lot anymore and Battlefield is pretty much a shell of its former self.

Maybe Sony goes after Ubisoft but that could be too expensive for them. They are gonna need to spend tho and FInal Fantasy exclusivity won't be enough this gen. Their own AAA games are becoming bigger and more expensive to make. Their output is too slow.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
The only thing Sony could possibly try to do is to buy Take Two or EA, besides FIFA, only GTA can dwarf COD.

I don't think Nintendo cares, and MS owning shit is kinda better for them.

Any japanese pub would be a waste of money, since PS gets the majority of JP games anyway, west SE means nothing, Ubisoft lol.

• Eyes

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Sony are pulling their PS Now cards on Friday, so I expect an announcement of what their Next Thing is then.
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.
I too am struggling to think what could be "bigger" than Microsoft buying Activision. In terms of the size of the purchase, I doubt anything comes close. In terms of how much it shocks people, there are a near infinite number of things that could come from left field that might overshadow the ABK acquisition just on pure WTF-ness.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Regarding any games and launchers, the deal is said to be completed sometime next year, so I dont reckon much will change until then... but apart from COD, Activisions output isnt that versatile anymore either. i was surprised they publishes Sekiro! And Blizzard has a few Games–as–a–service, and thats it.

~

Regarding what could be bigger? I dunno, maybe this guy on Twitter is just shittin' y'all :p

~

Regarding Gamepass, GOG, etc – as Durante says, given this is the main hangout thread, you'll always have some other stuff be posted here. I thought every now and then that "MetaPC" would be a better title, or "MetaHangouts" or something. but maybe its for the best its still mainly "MetaSteam" :)

~

Regarding the GOW port: right off the bat its missing a FOV slider! and the option to change resolution when you play "fullscreen" (aka windowed fullscreen"). those are just weird omissions on PC. otherwise, sure, solid port so far. Will probably play it properly once I finally maybe finish Tales of Arse.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Yoshi

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

In the news article, written by Phil I guess, they write it like this, so I wonder if ActiBliss approached Microsoft.

Also I'm surprised how gender diverse the xbox leadership is.

But not race diverse, just a token Asian and Black person.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I hope Phil is able to put Crash 4 on Steam before my Deck ships. I've been wanting to play it and almost bought used copy on PS4 but I want it on Steam.

Same with Tony Hawk remakes tho I those are something I want to buy more than actually play so I would probably wait on deep sale with them.

Also Double Fine and RARE is in such fine position at Microsoft now. They have Spyro, Crash, Banjo and Psychonauts to play around with. They can legit revive entire 3D platform genre again for gamers outside of Nintendo ecosystem.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
It's the first Taiko game coming to PC, so I figured it was worth posting here, but since there's no proper Bamco announcement yet other than a tweet saying that it exists (no platforms listed, no release date), I posted the gamepass news instead.

Not really, we have had a Taiko game on Steam for the past 2 years

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Why not buy ubisoft so I can get Settlers, Rayman, Splinter Cell and PoP back? :notlikethisblob:
Why buy shitty acti/blizz that only have shit games and ips... :notlikethisblob:

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Sony must be scrambling pretty hard right now. They sell a lot of Playstations every year thanks to COD. If Microsoft shuts off that release (and they will....maybe not this year but next for sure)....
I think already established multiplatform IPs will remain multiplatform (maybe timed exclusive), while new IPs or revivals of old IPs would be XBox/PC exclusive (like Starfield).

• Eyes

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
I think already established multiplatform IPs will remain multiplatform
They absolutely won't. At least not generally. Very specific games will remain multiplat on a case by case basis. Yearly CoD won't be on PlayStation. They didn't spend 70 billion for just some potential new IPs.

• Eyes

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Imagine being that much unappealing (Ubisoft) that company (Microsoft) buys much more expensive competitor (Activision-Blizzard) XD
It's crazy because ubi is massively cheaper too. I think people think of ubi as one of the top 2-3 pubs in size but in terms of market cap they're more like bethesda or square-enix (roughly $7b). Even take two is like 5x that size.

Of course a company has to be willing to sell too, and ubi probably isn't. One could go the hostile takeover route but then you risk a massive legal fight and employees leaving the company.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I think already established multiplatform IPs will remain multiplatform (maybe timed exclusive), while new IPs or revivals of old IPs would be XBox/PC exclusive (like Starfield).

That is the only legal thing Phil can say right now before the deal becomes official which will take at least a year.

After that I don't see them putting new COD games on PS. Warzone and older servers will stay active for sure but new ones won't.

COD is like 1/3 of the total 70 billion purchase. The rest is all mobile shit, ip, tech, dev talent, blizzard etc. A lot of bloated premium money in the deal too no doubt.

So in the end if Starfield and ES6 isn't coming to PS5..new COD after 2022 won't either. I don't think Microsoft spends all this money to help sell Playstations. They don't need Sony to make this money back over the next 5-10 years. They have PC, Gamepass and their own hardware.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Why not buy ubisoft so I can get Settlers, Rayman, Splinter Cell and PoP back? :notlikethisblob:
Why buy shitty acti/blizz that only have shit games and ips... :notlikethisblob:
Who knows, they still might at some point?

ActiBlizz has tons of cool (old) games and IPs, its just that theyve reduced their output so much thats its just COD and the Blizzard GaaS... but the old games are still there, they just havent been touched in ages. Nowadays AAA publisher output is all so very rigidly tailored to money-making; a handful of mega-games every year is enough.

With leadership more focused on actually making more games, that could change, who knows. We'll have to wait and see what actually happens next year when the deal gets finalized.

• Eyes

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
The generous interpretation on that Spencer quote is that AB's games will still come to PS for some time after the acquisition is finalized. The less generous one would be that he won't pull existing games from PS, which I would think is the more likely of the two.

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
you sure this is what you wanted?

This was under ubi's watch and it's embarassing to say the least...
Maybe if MS took command we'd get a good game. AoE 4 turned out good so it wouldn't be impossible. Hell, I'd settle for a Settlers 2 re-release with hd textures.

• Eyes

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I am honestly expecting Sony to take a deeper dive into PC gaming with all this news.

They see Microsoft acquiring 2 massive long time PC gaming companies like Bethesda and Blizzard. All the moves they making in the console/mobile space.

For Sony they need larger avenues for revenue now. Selling old games on Steam isn't good enough. Wouldn't surprise me if they now go all in on PC and have their own launcher/client for day n date releases + continue releasing stuff on Steam for more $$$. I am expecting them to make a handheld even more now.

They are being cornered pretty badly by Microsoft. They see how successful Valve is despite not participating in any of this console war shit or subscription bs. I can see them maybe even doing what Epic can't do with EGS.

• Eyes

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
eeeeeeeehhhhh I am not quite sold on it yet. It was one of Epic's moneyhats and I don't buy those unless they are 90% off.
Thats true, it was, although that was Private Division (Take 2)'s doing, not Obsidian, if I remember correctly – so...not really the game's fault. I respect that decision of course, I am hesitant to buy ex-egsclusives as well, but if I'm genuinely interested in a game, I still might, and in the case of The Outer Worlds, it was worth it, I had a ton of fun with it :)

edit: I just realised its actually currently on sale. Weird timing

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Activision was a prime target for acquisition. Mired in scandal ten times worse than Ubisoft’s, lawsuits hitting them from every angle, share price down. After all that, Kotick was probably looking for an exit. Given that Phil Spencer said they started talking “at the end of the year” and that this happened ”quickly”, I expect he saw his chance to stage manage his exit and take a fat share of that $70bn plus the $300m golden parachute.

While still expensive, Activision probably won’t be this cheap again. It’s pretty much a golden opportunity to add some majorly popular IP to your subscription. I imagine any talk of acquiring anyone else got put to the side as soon as this opportunity arose.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Activision was a prime target for acquisition. Mired in scandal ten times worse than Ubisoft’s, lawsuits hitting them from every angle, share price down. After all that, Kotick was probably looking for an exit. Given that Phil Spencer said they started talking “at the end of the year” and that this happened ”quickly”, I expect he saw his chance to stage manage his exit and take a fat share of that $70bn plus the $300m golden parachute.

While still expensive, Activision probably won’t be this cheap again. It’s pretty much a golden opportunity to add some majorly popular IP to your subscription. I imagine any talk of acquiring anyone else got put to the side as soon as this opportunity arose.
Bloomberg updated their story and it sounds like this is more or less what happened:

In an interview, Kotick said the deal has nothing to do with the controversy surrounding Activision or calls for him to step down and that Spencer reached out to him last year. A person familiar with the discussions, who was not authorized to speak publicly, said Microsoft looked at Activision’s situation, given all the negative attention and pressure on Kotick, and wondered if the beleaguered CEO would be willing to do a deal.

Kotick initially didn’t want to sell, according to another person familiar with the talks, and also put the word out to see if any other company would outbid Microsoft. But at that point, Kotick had little leverage with his board amid the ongoing public scrutiny at his company.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and C-Dub
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
It's the first Taiko game coming to PC, so I figured it was worth posting here, but since there's no proper Bamco announcement yet other than a tweet saying that it exists (no platforms listed, no release date), I posted the gamepass news instead.

Weird this hasn't been properly announced yet, tbh :(
I am honestly expecting Sony to take a deeper dive into PC gaming with all this news.

They see Microsoft acquiring 2 massive long time PC gaming companies like Bethesda and Blizzard. All the moves they making in the console/mobile space.

For Sony they need larger avenues for revenue now. Selling old games on Steam isn't good enough. Wouldn't surprise me if they now go all in on PC and have their own launcher/client for day n date releases + continue releasing stuff on Steam for more $$$. I am expecting them to make a handheld even more now.

They are being cornered pretty badly by Microsoft. They see how successful Valve is despite not participating in any of this console war shit or subscription bs. I can see them maybe even doing what Epic can't do with EGS.
You got the bold part right, that's my personal guess too.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
all i really care about with regards to it all is if MS now has the Vivendi stuff by way of Activision having previously absorbing Vivendi... Reboot F.E.A.R.

With a team that understands what made the first FEAR so dang good.

Otherwise... whatever. Don't care how this effects console space at all.

• Eyes

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Apr 17, 2019
Connecticut, USA
steamcommunity.com
So do we think ActiBlizz is already making a thin client for Blizz.net so that the games can be added to Steam/Windows Xbox App easily? And then all new releases post acquisition will use the Xbox framework like current MS games? Have we had any Bethesda releases yet other than Death Loop (which is kinda weird) that would indicate how post acquisition games work for these publisher acquisitions? I really don’t mind the Xbox thin client since it’s 100% contained in the game rather than the Origin weirdness.

Also any indication on GTA remasters releasing on Steam soon?

Last edited:
  • Eyes

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
I feel like Sony kind of brought this on themselves with all their exclusivity bullshit they do. Unfortunately, they will keep paying for the Japanese games I like and I am not about to buy a PS5 for a few games. Hopefully this gets all the AB games on Steam and I can permanently uninstall battle.net.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I just had someone (not this site) want to sell me the mafia key for 6$. I mean for 6$ more someone can buy the entire bundle even tho HB is becoming a shitty ass company fast.

Oo

• Eyes

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I feel like Sony kind of brought this on themselves with all their exclusivity bullshit they do. Unfortunately, they will keep paying for the Japanese games I like and I am not about to buy a PS5 for a few games. Hopefully this gets all the AB games on Steam and I can permanently uninstall battle.net.
Yea they brought it on all on themselves.

They flushed so much money down the toilet for exclusivity deals with Capcom, Square and all the stupid little marketing deals these past 8 years.

They beat down Xbox to the point where people were mocking Xbox for being a Halo, Gears, Forza only machine and nothing else.

Phil just sat back all that time and took it personally like Jordan. Now during the Pandemic the industry blew up and Nadella must have saw how valuable games/subscriptions really are so he gave Phil an even bigger checkbook.

What Sony should have been doing is acquiring more and more teams + ip.

Now they are basically forced to buy Capcom, Square or maybe Take-Two/Ubisoft. And if they don't they have to go after smaller purchases like Bungie, Remedy, IO, Kojima. If they don't they really risk losing marketshare and PS+ subs. Their 1st party games are getting bigger and more expensive to make. The most they can do on a yearly basis is 2 big AAA games. They abandoned smaller titles and Japan support so there is not a lot of additional help. They need to buy more to increase the output to like 3-4 big games per year. Gamepass is hard to compete with too because of the game price being so much smaller than the 70$ entry with PS5. Its a tough spot.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Sony abandoning the Japanese market is one of the biggest mistakes in recent years. They basically gave a huge market to Nintendo without resistance and turned to focus on their western player base, and now this player base is going to lose a considerable portion due to this acquisition. I originally thought this decision would bite their ass down the road but I also never expected the consequence would arrive so early.

They better start playing the catch-up game soon. Buy a few studios or even huge publisher. release a game pass-like service, and put their games onto PC asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.