Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'm sure someone has tried to RCE on the PS5 but i haven't seen anything mentioned and tbh i would expect that info to be kept secret among a small group of people until it was confirmed and a working exploit was found. You wouldn't go telling Sony that you have a PS5 hack until you are well and truly in and have a working procedure and code or they'll shut the door on you before you can do anything.

I'd expect some security people to be looking into it as well. As far as i am aware this explot was known about a while ago but nothing was done so they went public. There was a util/tool/mod called Blue Sentinel people were talking about but i don't know if it guards against this explot too.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Another piece of news (which is kind of interesting)

While not directly related to the weekly top 10, Playstation's publisher page reached the 200k followers milestone thanks to GOW's release on the platform. Slowly but steady making sure it gets a good position among the big publishers on the Steam platform.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
It does?
God I feel so cynical, outside of RDR2 and Elden Ring it does nothing for me 😕
Well, I guess it does for me as those games are my cup of tea hehe.

Wonder why steam suddenly got that growth? People hyped for the deck in non pc gaming countries?
Omicron, Winter, people relaxing in their homes playing or checking their Steam profiles, it can be a lot of things, you know.

Where's Hitman 3? :thinking-face:
Hitman 3 fell rather quickly, it went from 6th top seller in the first hour to top 50, Hitman 3 has performed poorly on Steam due to multiple problems and different reasons.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
It barely surpassed 2k concurrent players on a sunday. I think it's safe to say it did absolutely terrible. I'm sure they expected a simultaneous Gamepass release to eat into their launch numbers and made calculations around that, but I also don't think they expected to fumble the Steam release this hard.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It barely surpassed 2k concurrent players on a sunday. I think it's safe to say it did absolutely terrible. I'm sure they expected a simultaneous Gamepass release to eat into their launch numbers and made calculations around that, but I also don't think they expected to fumble the Steam release this hard.
I was willing to pay $30 for a Steam version of Hitman 3 since I already own 1 and 2 on that platform, but the fact they launched at full price means I just downloaded the Game Pass version instead. It'll probably run better on my Xbox than my aging PC anyway.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
clearly everyone who wanted to play it on PC already got it on EGS. I think it's a clear sign that EGS is slowly but steadily chipping away at Steam's core audience.
After years of basic research, they also created things like a wishlist and shopping cart now, so pretty much feature parity with Steam (give or take some more obscure things)

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
After finishing Yakuza Kiwami 2 a couple of days ago, and having finished Zero and Kiwami 1 in the past, I think it's time to vent a little and lay bare a couple of ideas I have about the games, the good, the bad and the ugly. I'll try to avoid spoilers and hide any major plot point or mechanic I have to mention.

Combat

I have to start somewhere so might as well start in the main mechanic of the game. The two most common questions when it comes to combat will forever be: Is it good? Is it fun? Well.... Let's just say I don't believe these games are loved because of their combat, so the answer to the first question is a resounding NO! The combat is bad, it's just rythmic X & Y button mashing to perform a couple of combos on an enemy with the others wait their turn to be beat up like good boys. I guess this would be acceptable 20 years ago or so but after experiencing melee combat in games like Dark Souls or Batman Arkham it's almost inexcusable to have combat this simplistic and boring. The fact there's so many random mobs around the city and every quest is solved by combat doesn't help since it only further exacerbates the problem.
As for the fun factor yes it is fun, at least for a bit. There's no denying th
e cathartic feeling of bashing someone's head with a trafic cone or a bike, that'll always be fun, however it will inevitably get old by the 4th time you do it. The enjoyment after that is in finding new objects or new animations, because they're fun but mostly to spice combat a bit and keep it interesting a little bit longer.
I like the combat in 2 the best, it seemed more "honest" and straightforward without the pseudo-complexity of styles in 0 and 1, that I don't think add anything to the game, but I wish they added some more moves or heat actions to counterbalance the removal because, as it is, it's too bare bones.

Main Story and Storytelling

The main stories are good, for the most part, and were actually the main driving force that pushed me to finish the games. If I had to rank them it would be 2 > 0 >> 1., mainly because 2 has a more straightforward and consistent story where the lows in aren't as low as they are in 0 or 1 even though the highs aren't as high as in 0. It also felt good to have a happy ending for once.
Kiwami 1's story is mostly trash and serves only as window dressing. The character motivations change each chapter, there's no overall plot line to follow, it's just people doing stuff for the sake of it. And the least we talk about the finale the best.
Zero's story can't be addressed as a whole because of the dual protagonist setup. Kiryu's story is fine if a bit underwhelming and doesn't really get going until the midway point. It felt like he was mostly used as a prop-character to explain the family's hierarquy and connections to the overall plot rather than having any agency or moving the plot forward, so, even though he's the main protagonist of the series, I don't think he's the main protagonist of this game, the star of the show is Majima. His story is super well written and has some truly heartfelt moments. Of all 3 games I played it was this storyline that had the highest highs, by far. But, because good things don't tend to last, the ending was moronic and destroyed the whole character development he had made throughout the story. I understand they had do make his personality sync with what had already been established in earlier games but surely there were better ways to do it than a complete sudden 180 of his character.

The storytelling is a double-edge sword. On one hand the animated cutscenes are very good and the voice acting is excelent, particularly for Kiryu and a couple other main characters. On the other hand the amount of "dialogue" done through text boxes with "click clack" typping noises and the random "Ah" or "Oh" grunts from characters makes no sense in premium games like these. Plus the transition between voiced cutscenes to unvoiced text dumps is so egregious it makes me wonder if the devs played their own game. Other than that it's sadly the same overexplanatory mess as most stories are, meaning dialogue could be cut in half and the flow would improve tenfold. There's a lot of merit in the "show don't tell" phylosophy and I wish games would stop treating players as morons that need every bit of information dictated to them and trust on their audience's intelligence.

Side Stories and Minigames

[flame shield on]
Side stories are trash! They serve no purpose other than padding the length of the game and their lightheartedness shocks in comparisson with the bleakness and urgency of the main plot. It's almost like they don't belong in the same game. I understand why people like them, they are comedic reliefs and random little stories thrown around for you to "enjoy", but those are the exact reasons I hate them, they don't elevate the main plot or provide any character development, in fact they do the opposite, they drag everything down. The games would be much better without them.
[flame shield off]

Minigames and side activities, like the cabaret, darts, golf, etc... are perfectly fine and fun. They are the perfect yin to the main story yang (one more reason that side stories are unecessary). The best one's are the cabaret, which they could easily transform into it's own game, the dancing and karaoke. The construction clan thingy in K2 was painful to play and the real-estate game in 0 was ok but I wish it wasn't as necessary/mandatory as it turned out to be.

Progression

In zero you get stronger by spending cash, in K1 by fighting Majima and in K2 by doing stuff (fighting, eating, etc), so I think K2 is the clear winner here. Zero's dependence on cash forces you to play the real estate side game which impacted negatively my enjoyment of that side game and the game as a whole. K1 reliance on combat, sigh, to get better at combat is idiotic to say the least.

Conclusion

I'm pretty sure there's still a lot to talk about but I don't have the strength to go into every little detail of these games and I think I touched upon the biggest mechanics and points. I enjoyed the games but the reality is I can only muster the courage to play one per year (zero in 2020, K1 in 2021 and K2 in 2022) as they are exausting to play and become a chore quickly if you engange with the side stories and everything in them. That's perhaps why I enjoyed K2 so much and much more than the others, I didn't engage in any side stories or activities, besides the cabaret, and focused on the main story.
Sorry for the wall of text.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
[flame shield on]
Side stories are trash! They serve no purpose other than padding the length of the game and their lightheartedness shocks in comparisson with the bleakness and urgency of the main plot. It's almost like they don't belong in the same game. I understand why people like them, they are comedic reliefs and random little stories thrown around for you to "enjoy", but those are the exact reasons I hate them, they don't elevate the main plot or provide any character development, in fact they do the opposite, they drag everything down. The games would be much better without them.
[flame shield off]
I can't speak about the rest of the series, I have only played 0, Kiwami 1, 2 and Yakuza 3 so far. But the only game where I felt the side missions were amazing was Zero. Each and everyone of them felt interesting, complex, had amazing presentation and something very meaningful to say. yes, they are a tonal whiplash to the main story, but that never bothered me much. I disagree on the idea that they don't provide character development. They show you who Kiryu or Majima really are, in many ways. At least in the better side missions, which leads to my big issue with the chronologically latter games:

In Kiwami 1 the side stories just aren't very well thought out. Coming from Yakuza 0, it was a huge step down, Kiwami 2 is a bit better, but there's far too many side missions that feel completely forgetable. The Cabaret minigame story line was great, but the tower defense game was just boring story wise.
.And Yakuza 3 feels as bad as Kiwami 1 again.
Given that the Kiwami games were very close remakes of older PS2 games, and Yakuza 3 itself the earliest PS3 game, maybe it wasn't until much, much later (Yakuza 0 ) that the developers figured out how to make side missions really work.

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
Fewer mission stories is absolutely a plus though, opportunities are much more well integrated into the levels organically in 3.
Ehhh, I liked the mission stories, my mate loved them so he was a bit miffed
Side Stories and Minigames

[flame shield on]
[flame shield off]

Minigames and side activities, like the cabaret, darts, golf, etc... are perfectly fine and fun. They are the perfect yin to the main story yang (one more reason that side stories are unecessary). The best one's are the cabaret, which they could easily transform into it's own game, the dancing and karaoke. The construction clan thingy in K2 was painful to play and the real-estate game in 0 was ok but I wish it wasn't as necessary/mandatory as it turned out to be.
Agreed. I've stopped doing the Yakuza side stories tbh

• Eyes

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
+1 to ignoring the Yakuza side content

i also admit and agree that at their core the yakuza gameplay itself isn’t really that great to be frank.

So I’ve played Y0-4 so far for their main stories alone tbh but I can’t see myself continuing the rest for a good while now after 5 of them cos it does get exhausting
(I’ve heard Y5 is the longest and I didn’t particularly like Y4 actually so I’m in no rush)

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Yoshi

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
*me envisioning playing Anno 1800

And I never go beyond the first expedition because something else shiny has my attention :(

ANYWAY
Is that a scenario, mod or what? A look at he map tells me that there is a massive island at the edge of the map.

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
So, it seems that The Usual Suspects are now running interference for IOI on Hitman 3 criticism

Seen three different stories in my feed reducing it all down to "Toxic entitled Gamers review bomb Hitman 3 for being MSRP!", and all three of them from outlets that shilled EGS hard.

To quote myself from a Discord...

If it were just $60, the whining would be a small bubble
If it were just a bad PCVR mode, there'd be dozens of us. DOZENS!
If it were just a confusing store page with a billion editions, people would figure it out and move on
if it were just a 20,000 player queue for a singleplayer game people would just be patient.
But no
It was a $60 year old game, with a horrible VR mode, with a more confusing store page than an Ubisoft edition-chart, topped off with a day-long queue to play singleplayer.
I was tempted to bend, but if IOI is paying the Shill Outlets to Soyjak critics like this, well...

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
So, it seems that The Usual Suspects are now running interference for IOI on Hitman 3 criticism

Seen three different stories in my feed reducing it all down to "Toxic entitled Gamers review bomb Hitman 3 for being MSRP!", and all three of them from outlets that shilled EGS hard.

I was tempted to bend, but if IOI is paying the Shill Outlets to Soyjak critics like this, well...
It is always the same process:
1. big company does something shitty or releases a shit product
2. general outcry from customers
3. there is someone who goes to far
4. company goes hard on the victim complex, will always use an example of a single dev getting harrassed by the one who goes to far and shames their customer into going back to be little responsible sheeps customers.

Won't somebody think about the billion dollar companies?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I already bought Hitman 3 at full price on year ago on Xbox. Ain't paying full price again for literally no technical gains. At least with MHR you get uncapped framerates and resolutions compared to Switch.

• Eyes

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

This is a bit heavy-handed, no? I doubt IOI are doing much of anything in terms of dealing with media outlets if theyre doing this much, this poorly with damage control on their own. Easier for media to side with the dev, for its own business reasons than actual collusion. To start seeing it as some kind of conspiracy every time a corporation does something stupid or shitty just leads down a bad path. IOI didn't have a plan in place for the pushback/negative launch and took the gaslighting path because it's easy. "The fans are the problem' requires way fewer man hours than changing their release structure.. This is the EGS exclusivity money rearing it's head post-release instead of pre-release.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Doesn't this comic have a pretty bad (like literal nazi shite) source as its original? feel like there's better meme's to make fun of PCGamer than this.
I don't know, I found the meme on twitter, found it funny, so I posted it here.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
To be honest. the only time i think about EGS is when someone here mentions it. It's totally out of my mind otherwise.
I haven't even logged in to claim any free games. I don't think i've logged into my account since it launched.
Gosh, same here. Even though I'm a big Squeenix fanboy, i've even forgotten stuff like Kingdom Hearts and FF7 lol. Until people bring them up, i don't even think of them... I do really want them, but I'm patiently waiting for Steam releases. (And if it's true FF7 is a shit port, well hopefully a year is enough time to patch it lol) I feel like there are other things on EGS i want also, but I can't remember... I don't have an account or wishlist there either so I can't track. >_<

EGS Beta testers lol. :fingergunsblob:

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Oh dear, looked at the bios for who's confirmed to be at Nagoshi Studio, and what we feared is true - NetEase is indeed looking to poach pretty much all of RGG Studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.