Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I do think Microsoft would love to buy Valve, but not like Valve is interested in becoming the subsidiary of anybody.
I bet most big companies, also those not related to gaming, would love to buy Valve. They sorta are the de-faco PC gaming platform holder, so they don't only hold a shitload of money, but also power and trust. Gabe has also spoken many times about not liking faceless bureaucrats and suits making decisions when it comes to game development.

Last edited:

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
We will probably never know numbers, but Valve it's probably on the 100s of billions already.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Doesn’t Valve make like a billion a day, it would cost more than acti I think.
We have no idea how much Valve would cost or is worth, but it definetly must be an insane amount. They own the IPs to DOTA 2, Counter-Strike, L4D, Half-Life and Team Fortress 2. Valve Index, Steam Deck hardware. And of course, PCs biggest PC platform.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
There's no way Valve even does 100 billion in revenue. More likely 8-30 billion yearly revenue... If Valve was in the 100s of billion they'd be looking to buy MS, Nintendo, and Epic.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Pommes

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
This. Plus it will probably be EGS exclusive, meaning I even care less.
Hey, if they want a year of early access on EGS (what a lot of 'scloozies end up being, figuratively), but the game ends up in the same vein as the first Crysis, i'll give them that year and buy it on sale afterwards.

Of all devs, Crytek probably needs the money, so i dont begrudge them

• Eyes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
There's no way Valve even does 100 billion in revenue. More likely 8-30 billion yearly revenue... If Valve was in the 100s of billion they'd be looking to buy MS, Nintendo, and Epic.
Hundreds of billions yearly revenue (not profit) is what the biggest companies are making, like Apple. I don't think Valve is anywhere near that. An estimate I can find for 2017 puts it at 3.4 billion in 2017. I think it's fair to assume Valve doubled it since then, with the growth during the Pandemic especially. That's still below 10 billion revenue yearly. Actual profit would be at 30% of that, so maybe 2 billion (if we assume 7 billion revenue). That's still crazy amounts of money for a company that's employing less than a thousand people

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Many games are sold daily in steam? And how much is 30% of that?
Steam would have to sell over 4 million games at $60 each every day to be getting over 100 billion in revenue. There isn't a game producer in the world that would ever ignore that level of profit. We'd have Nintendo exclusive Steam games...

• Eyes
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
December 2021 Top Releases

I did a thing and this is how it looks if we put all the monthly charts together.

This was 2021:

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Microsoft acquired ActiBlizzard? Time to make a podcast about how it makes sense for Nintendo to acquire SEGA, while not being fully aware of what such an acquisition would imply.

Other than SEGA having several PC centric studios that don't make sense for Nintendo, there's also the other industries where SEGA is involved, for example, if I'm not mistaken the animation studio TMS Entertainment is as much a part of the SEGA Group as Atlus and SEGA are (TMS is not in the Sammy part of SEGA Sammy).

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Cacher
I left the enemy difficulty at normal but moved the quick time speed to "slow", and it feels much better this way. It's now a lot of fun, actually. :evilblob:
Thank you for the tip! I would definitely try this because the default speed is so punishing. I remember that the developer said it is inspired by Mario RPG, but the speed there is much more forgiving haha.
Microsoft acquired ActiBlizzard? Time to make a podcast about how it makes sense for Nintendo to acquire SEGA, while not being fully aware of what such an acquisition would imply.

Other than SEGA having several PC centric studios that don't make sense for Nintendo, there's also the other industries where SEGA is involved, for example, if I'm not mistaken the animation studio TMS Entertainment is as much a part of the SEGA Group as Atlus and SEGA are (TMS is not in the Sammy part of SEGA Sammy).
Nintendo doesn't need to buy any publisher to thrive. :ROFLMAO:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Been playing death stranding and to everyone who said I would hate it for sure you're...partially right.

I think the part of the gameplay that is essentially plotting your path, using your own gear or online people's gear to get over obstacles, and screwing around with a lot of the weird kojima interactive elements is pretty fun. More than I expected honestly.

What's not so fun is what I mentioned in the backlog blitz thread where you have to deal with rain damaging your stuff, BTs that aren't easy to see, scrambling to get cargo you dropped in water, dealing with stupid shit like footwear degradation, and pressing L2/R2 every couple of steps if you carry too much. These are very frustrating things that clash with the stuff that I kind of like which is resulting in a very uneven experience. Then of course you have the story which is nonsense. Just goddamn nonsense.

I'm still in episode 2 which as I understand is early but I'm getting a hang of a lot of things now. I also have access to a bike which has dramatically lessened my frustration, almost too much probably to the point where it's making the game a little dull with all of the generators people left behind to recharge the battery. I'm at least willing to continue which is more than I expected.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Hundreds of billions yearly revenue (not profit) is what the biggest companies are making, like Apple. I don't think Valve is anywhere near that. An estimate I can find for 2017 puts it at 3.4 billion in 2017. I think it's fair to assume Valve doubled it since then, with the growth during the Pandemic especially. That's still below 10 billion revenue yearly. Actual profit would be at 30% of that, so maybe 2 billion (if we assume 7 billion revenue). That's still crazy amounts of money for a company that's employing less than a thousand people
I seem to remember that in the Epic v Apple case some documents came out had a Microsoft estimate of Valve's revenue\profit. I wish I could easily find that because it's probably about as accurate as we're going to get being that Valve is a private company.

• This!
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and PC-tan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I seem to remember that in the Epic v Apple case some documents came out had a Microsoft estimate of Valve's revenue\profit. I wish I could easily find that because it's probably about as accurate as we're going to get being that Valve is a private company.
I could have sworn that one of the documents from that court thing said that Valve was making more money that Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox.

Or something like that.

By the way I am looking to next month to hear more about the Steam Deck once it releases.

There is going to be good and bad with the Steam Deck reviews. Most likely you will hear really high praise from those that like playing indie games and how they have mainly been playing indie games on the switch since it's convenient for them. They might even say how going forward they will likely play all of their indie games on the Steam Deck from now on (which makes a lot of sense especially with how some games are Early Access or some of them can months/years to release on consoles).

You will have those "controversial" reviews (not really controversial really) that go along the lines of sure it's nice but who is this really for (I'm guessing that this is what general gamers, those that don't use Steam at all will "agree" with).

You will also have that one review that says, "sure you can play games on the Steam Deck but if you want high quality stuff you are better off buying a PS5 or XSX since PC parts are hard to come by".

In a way they all have their points but I'm sure that those people that like to play games on the go (or those like me that would like to just play in your bed would really like the device.

I'm guessing that the embargo means that we will see a ALOT of gameplay. So far we have not seen that much gameplay and it makes sense, the tech isn't 100% ready and valve doesn't want for certain gameplay footage to come out that makes the device to look bad, especially when the devs might be working on an update with their game to help and stuff like that. But I'm guessing that means that all the AAA games that you can think of and basically everything will be shown on it, including emulators and all of that. So the first few weeks will be interesting and we will also see issues from some units and how people's units have already broke and them having to do an RMA.

As I mentioned in the past what I'm most interested in seeing is physical locations like Tsukomo will likely be selling the device once it releases in Japan, which I'm guessing would be around Summer time. So be prepared for Famitsu and others to write an article about them going to a press event to be shown the device in person. The reservation system in Japan will likely be separate from the rest of the world and I'm guessing that it may even end up relying on a lottery system rather than what valve currently has in place.

Will the Steam Deck sell millions of units? Maybe 2-5 million units if it does somehow manage to be a big hit with people and if they manage to ramp up production.

• Eyes

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
So now that I have access to my account again since there was some issue with the backend I am happy to announce that my in progress PC is now complete. EVGA came through and I was able to get a RTX 3080 12GB.

Edit: Also thank you Mor and Parsnip for looking into the problem with the password reset functionality.

Last edited:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
So now that I have access to my account since I there some issues with the backend I am happy to announce that my in progress PC progress is now complete. EVGA came through and I was able to get a RTX 3080 12GB.

Edit: Also thank you Mor and Parsnip for looking into the problem with the password reset functionality.
Thanks to that guy Phawx as well.

:blobpraise:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Did you guys play Guardians with kb/m or controller? Cant' decide what feels best. Got a Dualshock 4, Dualsense, Xbone, Steam and Switch Pro controller.
I used a controller. It didn't feel like a PC focused game so controller made sense. I happened to use a DS4, but honestly Steam's controller support is so good these days it doesn't matter. Pick what you like and stick to it. IMO switching around controllers makes it harder to decide because you're constantly thinking about the button differences instead of enjoying the game haha. I have a friend who is too obsessed with switching controllers for various purposes that its silly. Just pick one and play the darn games!

• Eyes

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Week later IOI fixed H3 Demo.

• Eyes

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Week later IOI fixed H3 Demo.

They tried to fix it, but they failed.

• Eyes

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I used a controller. It didn't feel like a PC focused game so controller made sense. I happened to use a DS4, but honestly Steam's controller support is so good these days it doesn't matter. Pick what you like and stick to it. IMO switching around controllers makes it harder to decide because you're constantly thinking about the button differences instead of enjoying the game haha. I have a friend who is too obsessed with switching controllers for various purposes that its silly. Just pick one and play the darn games!
Decided on my Dualsense.

Reactions: QFNS

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Yep it's out now, confirmed no Steam release :crying-face: Hopefully it will come in the future
Stuck in the title screen because the xbox login doesn't work properly. Bamco is looking into it now.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Is there any reason why IOI made a demo instead of using the full game like the previous games?
As long as I need to jump through a weird login server, that's a no-go for me anyway. Don't think I will touch Hitman 2 episodes and the ones in 3 until that ever patch that shit out. Given how much it tanked, I don't see IOI running those servers for very long.

FunnyJay