Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
My brother wanted to try VR and I told him I could probably family share Half-Life: Alyx with him. He told me he couldn't see it on his side, so I go and check what's wrong and it seems that the game is excluded from Steam Family Sharing and what's more weird, a bunch of other Valve games are exluded too (Half-Life 2: Episode One, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Portal, Portal 2, Day of Defeat: Source, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2)... wtf Valve? Seems the game still works with just the .exe after installing it, so that's a workaround I guess, but why doesn't Valve support this great Steam feature with their own games?

URL to check for excluded games:
Sign In

Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I must say that reporting game performance on the market with just number of players who opened game when title is on GamePass/PS+ or F2P is kinda annoying. It says nothing about game and it's real performance or player retention. And this is especially annoying when game is not on Steam so there is no way to find out how many players game has and in case of MP games what are best times to play it (because having proper servers and server browser is apparently cardinal sin these days and everything need to be done by matchmaking).

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
My brother wanted to try VR and I told him I could probably family share Half-Life: Alyx with him. He told me he couldn't see it on his side, so I go and check what's wrong and it seems that the game is excluded from Steam Family Sharing and what's more weird, a bunch of other Valve games are exluded too (Half-Life 2: Episode One, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Portal, Portal 2, Day of Defeat: Source, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2)... wtf Valve? Seems the game still works with just the .exe after installing it, so that's a workaround I guess, but why doesn't Valve support this great Steam feature with their own games?

URL to check fore excluded games:
Sign In
Didn't you have that Valve Family & Friends package? It's developer package, so excluded from family sharing.

• Sad
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Kiru

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Didn't you have that Valve Family & Friends package? It's developer package, so excluded from family sharing.
Oh wow, ok, didn't know that. That sucks. Any chance they will open that up in the future? I mean I had Portal 1 & 2 before I activated that key too... lol

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Oh wow, ok, didn't know that. That sucks. Any chance they will open that up in the future? I mean I had Portal 1 & 2 before I activated that key too... lol
It might be unintentionally marked, but it means someone would've first to report it to someone at Valve who actually cares enough to fix it :p
(I assume dev packages are never shared to prevent leaks, so that part is intentional)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Bamco's rythm games on PC...
First Idolmaster is on Steam, but region locked to Asia, and now Taiko is only in the buggiest PC platform of all...
This reminds me, among Japanese steam community, Bamco is considered as THE worst companies due to their absurd regional pricing, banning the usage of keys from other regions and region-locking anime games (like one piece or dragon ball) from Japanese region.
S+(極めて悪い)
  • BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Dying Light 2 and Elden Ring must be huge launches on Steam. Also, GoW is still sitting on top 5 best seller, so Sony must be super happy.
God of War in fact is still in top 3 global, so yeah, you can bet it's selling well, up to 20k reviews (30k if you count the ones that came via external keys)
Also yes, both Elden and Dying Light 2 are doing a really good job there.

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
It might be unintentionally marked, but it means someone would've first to report it to someone at Valve who actually cares enough to fix it :p
(I assume dev packages are never shared to prevent leaks, so that part is intentional)
I'll try and see what regular Steam Support can do about this. :p

• Eyes
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
With Elden Ring and all of those other games I guess this means that Valve will have one of their biggest Q1 in years?
Likely, I mean, they have not one but 3 of the most expected games released in this Q and likely some other big ones will come too (KH, for example)

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

URL to check for excluded games:
Sign In
I checked and none of these games are excluded – so, as others have stated, it must be because of the developer package ...

~

Hitman-focused YouTube video creator "BigMooney" has adressed the community backlash regarding the Hitman 3 Year 2 release, including pricing, PCVR and the Elusive Target Arcade:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I wonder if Elden Ring can beat out MHW 330k peak.

Its definitely gonna crush the 130k peak by Sekiro and DS3...just a matter of by how much at this point.

Bamco and Capcom having all this success on Steam....meanwhile Square Enix continues to delay steam releases by years for a quick little payday :huhblob:

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Meanwhile, although Forspoken is launching day 1 on steam, that price geez. Why can't SQEX be normal.
I guess at least Forspoken is on greenmangaming, for users that have access to the XP offers it gets closer to a normal price (at least in EU, 64€ for the standard edition, 84€ for the deluxe edition, which is still too much, but just closer to normal prices).

The same can't be said about the games that are locked to the epic store.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

Hey Skul Squad!
There are now more than 1,000,000 players, meaning that Skul is now a million seller! We are extremely delighted and honored to have more than 1 million players with us. Hence today, we’ll be looking back on our journey to becoming a million seller.

BadAniki

Jan 22, 2022

Kinda surprised to see the game doing so well. Been seeing this one in my recommendation quite often.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I guess at least Forspoken is on greenmangaming, for users that have access to the XP offers it gets closer to a normal price (at least in EU, 64€ for the standard edition, 84€ for the deluxe edition, which is still too much, but just closer to normal prices).

The same can't be said about the games that are locked to the epic store.
Yeah you are right. At least there are workarounds to make the price more bearable.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and PhaZZe

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

Kinda surprised to see the game doing so well. Been seeing this one in my recommendation quite often.
How is it anyways?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Sure they would. Then just liquidate the employees and keep the IPs and software.
Again, no. When they acquired Campo Santo, Gabe stated that when they acquire someone, they do it for the people, not for financial reasons or IP reasons.

• Eyes

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Where Lunar Sale
What's interesting is a got a pretty sweet end-of-year bonus at work that came through after the Steam Winter sales event ended.

So now I've got some mad-money sitting around just for kicks.

I'm at a point in my life where discretionary spending is baked in, so if I want something I just buy it. But having a bonus slush fund on top during a Steam sale leads me to take more chances on prospective buys.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Took this long and still no word on anything else they're doing to fix the issues 🤷‍♂️
I mean not to sound like a a-hole but honestly both Deluxe Edition content and 7DS DLC are not worth the price they are asking for (they never were). So while it is nice for those who bought the game to get them for free they still didn't tackle issue of Humble discount parity, regional pricing and possible launch discount.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
PCGamer will write an article later lambasting the fact they've had to offer this to us
Conspiracy hat ON:

Last Giant Bombcast was reporting on how Activision's Bobby Kotick wanted to buy a Kotaku / PC Gamer to change Activision’s' "public narrative".

No idea how far along the plan went (my guess not too far), but the idea of media outlets being approached by big publishers with deep pockets appears to be a very real (attempted) path to control the narrative.

Epic getting in bed with PC Gamer to spread FUD propping up EGS while tearing down Steam is not the biggest stretch, imo. Esp. considering how print is dead and website advertising dollars are in the gutter.

I'm most likely wrong, but it's an alluring take on why PC Gamer would be so out of step in covering EGS vs. Steam when the PC gaming community is so diametrically opposed to all the EGS fluffing and Steam takedown articles posted.

Conspiracy hat OFF.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and oipic

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
The thing I found funny about all those articles about entitled gamers complaining about how expensive it was never once mentioned how borked the regional pricing, the difference in regional pricing between epic and steam or the fact that (I believe) the regional pricing went up on epic for some regions.

the release has been a clusterfuck all around.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Yeah it's nice that they are upgrading the regular package to deluxe and so on (though the upgrades are timed), but that still means that it's €60 at the minimum which is not great when it's been €24 on Epic and Humble.

And yeah, regional pricing is still an issue too.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Buy overpriced standard edition to get overpriced dlc

much excite
i have the standard edition and now got the deluxe stuff: a bunch of escalations that reward you extra costumes, a digital artbook that doesnt appear where its supposed to, and developer commentary that im not really interested in.
yaay.

I love the Hitman trilogy, theyre really amazing games, but IOIs marketing department/management/whatever just dont seem to know what to do with it except "cut it to piecemeal and sell it for the maximum profit"

~

edit: and they had a slam dunk ready. all they had to do is release a "Complete edition" with all the DLC crap for €50 and a 20% launch discount (or, rather, parity with current EGS price) that autodetects whatever you already have – and for those that didnt already own Hitman 1 or 2, discount these.
it couldve been SO easy.

but apparently ioi are incapable of doing anything customer-friendly unless forced, and even then its half-arsed, like this.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
To think that all of these H3 issues could have been avoided if they just offered like 20% off for week or two. That is all they had to do.
The most stupid thing was that Epic version of Hitman 3 was selling at 50% off when the Steam version was released. I don't think that even a 20% launch discount it wouldn't help the Steam launch.
All the different packages are just confusing

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
They seem to have done the same with every hitman release for the last few years and people grumble about it but the basic premise and gameplay is good enough that it still does well eventually. the game certainly seems to sell consistently well for a long period, it's got legs for sure.

It's wishful thinking that they'll change their ways this time around but there has been more pushback than usual so who knows. Maybe they'll read the room and make changes? Not soon, or quickly but y'know, at some point.

edit: They do seem to have the most baffling pricing and package/collection choices on the market for sure. They even outdo peak EA & Ubisoft on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.