Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Honestly that seems like a lot of money for what they are getting, seems like a strange purchase.
I assume Microsoft also tried, but Bungie had a firm deal in mind of keeping ownership and where to distribute the games, which only Sony agreed to.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I would guess the future new IP from Bungie will be exclusive to Playstation 5 and PC.

Destiny 3 also PS5 and PC.

Destiny 2 will keep being mutiplatform.

I don't see how Sony gets their moneys worth otherwise. Maybe there are other things at play like Sonys plan for PSVR2 or their answer to Gamepass. Bungies must be important/involved somehow.

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
I would guess the future new IP from Bungie will be exclusive to Playstation 5 and PC.

Destiny 3 also PS5 and PC.

Destiny 2 will keep being mutiplatform.

I don't see how Sony gets their moneys worth otherwise. Maybe there are other things at play like Sonys plan for PSVR2 or their answer to Gamepass. Bungies must be important/involved somehow.
Might not even be console exclusive.
In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan says that Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue to be published on other platforms, including rival consoles.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Might not even be console exclusive.

If I only played on Xbox I wouldn't trust Sony or Bungie. Microsoft won't care as they are not releasing Starfield on PS5. or Elder Scrolls 6.

And as soon as a future COD/Blizzard games doesn't come to PS5...you know Sony will start dictating over Bungie.

Now that Sony is releasing games on PC it gives them a lot of wiggle room too. They see themselves as multiplat without even acknowledging Xbox.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Nope, it's true, Valve has managed to make PC/Steam platform agnostic. It's a reason Sony and MS is releasing on PC. It's a reason indie devs who makes console exclusivity deals, also releases on PC at the same time. It's an agnostic platform.

I mean, even Amazon Games is releasing their games on Steam.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Also, unsurprising but

Nope, it's true, Valve has managed to make PC/Steam platform agnostic. It's a reason Sony and MS is releasing on PC. It's a reason indie devs who makes console exclusivity deals, also releases on PC at the same time. It's an agnostic platform.

I mean, even Amazon Games is releasing their games on Steam.
uh, I clearly meant Nintendo

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
If a console fits your lifestyle and mentality more than a PC then these aquisitions and games coming to PC won't mean much to you.
I love PC but i sure know people who the last platform i would recommend to them is PC. The fuck am i doing tech support for some of my friends and even family members. Nah, buy a console and be done with it.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
This isn't that big, if people are waiting for a megaton announcement they should wait until summer or a little bit after.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
That seems... a lot for Bungie.

They have 1 active game
They have 1 IP (maybe some old IP's from before Halo)
And another GAAS F2P IP in development.

How the hell is that worth half of Bethesda.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
With how much these companies are going for.....Valve must be worth at least 30 billion imo maybe even more when you value Steam today and in the future.

• Eyes

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I can't see Platinum wanting to be bought. I think they like the mercenary/troubleshooter lifestyle. Who know what will happen when the current owners "age out" though?

Buying SEGA would depend on what SAMMY wanted wouldn't it? I keep forgetting what kind of relationship/percentages those two have with each other.

Foreign companies would find it difficult to buy Nintendo. I think they would be sold in some dodgy deal to some bigger Japanese company like you doing a dodgy £1 deal in monopoly with your mate just so your other friend can't buy your hotels. then they sell them back to you for £2 or something trivial like that.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
I can't see Platinum wanting to be bought. I think they like the mercenary/troubleshooter lifestyle. Who know what will happen when the current owners "age out" though?

Buying SEGA would depend on what SAMMY wanted wouldn't it? I keep forgetting what kind of relationship/percentages those two have with each other.

Foreign companies would find it difficult to buy Nintendo. I think they would be sold in some dodgy deal to some bigger Japanese company like you doing a dodgy £1 deal in monopoly with your mate just so your other friend can't buy your hotels. then they sell them back to you for £2 or something trivial like that.
Nobody is buying Nintendo anytime soon.

But right now every single third party developer you can think of are in talks with Sony/Microsoft/Tencent

Some talks are less serious than others but pretty much we are in a bidding war + a race to get good investments before inflation gets worse.

Like I said before, expect some big news by summer or a little bit after that.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Previously I was a big Sony fan (even though back in my early days I was a Sega fanboy so hated everything about Sony). From the late PS One Era through to the end of the PS3 era they released all the games I ever wanted. Then the blockbusters started to come out and everything else started to be pushed out. This is also where my dislike of exclusivity deals comes from. Sony decided that exclusive deals would shore up and cover for the games they where no longer making anymore. And the blockbusters rolled in and won the awards and sold millions of copies. Sony seemed to settle on a formula.

This purchase just seems to re-affirm that.

The funny thing is, as things move on, MS is starting to fill that role now. The purchase of double fine and obsidian fill a niche that Sony don't seem to have covered too well anymore (yeah sony have astrobot but that never quite appealed to me the way a Tim Schaffer creation does). If the activision deal goes through then they get access to Toys for Bob and Raven soft and suddenly I can see quirky Rare like platformers or Tony Hawk style games on the horizon. Hell there are long lost IP's stuck in activisions vaults. The prospect of MS throwing their weight behind trying to sort out the mess around Now One Lives Forever (Acti do own part of this mess?!?!).

Now the purchasing of more and more publishers does worry me. Not so much that everything is slowly being devoured by the big three now (Tencent, Sony and MS) but that they appear to see both Amazon and Google as an actual viable threat to their own futures. MS has said the Acti purchase was less about blocking Sony and more about stopping Amazon/Google.

The other with consolodation is that I no longer trust Sony to not push developers down the route of Big Blockbuster games. You only have to look at the treatment behind Days Gone. Yes the game was supposedly a bit of a nightmare during development. Yes the game did not review well. However it resonated with its fans. It sold well. It now has an install base that reaches 2 different fanbases (PC/Console) and that isn't good enough anymore. Nope it is on to a new IP, one that might review better, one that might win some awards but not necessarily resonate with the fans like Days Gone did.

Ahh, fuck it. It's Monday and I am Grumpy. It's all doom and gloom.

But I do have one final thought. For a little while I was concerned about NFT's being the end of gaming for me. And yet, the more that I think about it, I can see both Amazon and Google being the end of gaming for me. And this is coming from somebody who as pre-ordered Lost Ark...

Ahhhh screw it I think I am going to go and Grab a bottle of cide, a bag of crisps and read New Frontier to chear myself up.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I'm just glad i have a stash of DRM free games on GOG and Itch and i'm not particularly bothered by AAA titles.
I'll be alright, the kids though? Who knows?
I have a game collection that would probably last me several lifetimes. Hell my favourite game of the year isn't even on consoles yet (Vampire Survivors).

As I said, I am grumpy at the moment, I am around 3 months away from my 50th birthday. I have spent 42 years of that playing games in one form or another. So I have a bit of "Get of My Lawn" running through my soul at this moment in time...

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
if Bungie is serious about keeping their games multiplatform, I'm not sure how much Sony is getting out of this.

anyway, not an acquisition I would have expected but not one that's likely to impact me much, given my limited interest in GAAS titles. I feel like people have been increasingly expecting Sony and/or MS to make at least one major Japanese acquisition before the year is out, and it'll be interesting to see if that happens

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Tomorrow is the first new Choice day. I'm curious what it will be, I assume the line-up will be strong, the question is whether it will appeal to me or not. 🤞

And next week is Lost Ark release. I'm weirdly hyped. Though knowing myself I'm probably not gonna play all too long (it's mainly going to depend on how intrusive the F2P-ness is, I guess).

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
I'm extremely indifferent with the bungo news.
At this point big-studio acquisitions feel more like watching a sports game where you don't care who wins.

Kinda entertaining, but no real personal investment in how it shakes out.

I swear the whole EGS debacle from a couple years back really taught me a valuable lesson about the non-importance of exclusive deals.

I quickly learned that I can enjoy the hobby just fine even if I were locked out of 99% of the market on my preferred platform. That remaining 1% is enough genuine quality entertainment to keep me going for several lifetimes.

Let the Big Boys duke it out with their Big Boy IPs.

I'll be over here enjoying the all the schadenfreude and my glorious 1%.

FunnyJay