Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I did it! After 94 hours, I have finally completed a run with every fighting style deck in Fights in Tight Spaces. The game has flaws but it is still a 10/10 in my heart.

Now go after the remaining achievements...

Last edited:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Oooohh. Don't remind me of games having "anniversaries".

So many of my favorite games are becoming 30 years old that it's really hard to avoid feeling "kinda" old...

Just some examples from a quick search from 1992:

And then there's Wolf3D, Alone in the Dark, and since I also had a Genesis Mega Drive...: Streets of Rage 2

All of them... three decades old.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Should I try Civ VI or Humankind ? Has the latter been ironed out from its mildling release ? And is it indeed a Civ clone ? It looks sorta like a Civ mixed with a boardgame (the star thing is reminiscent of Scythe).
I would actually say Civ VI is closer to a board game - it's very streamlined, the differences between the civs are really minimal if you aren't doing early game PvP stuff with other humans, and almost every mechanic is pretty straightforward and easy to understand. The expansions kind of add a lot though, so getting the ultimate deluxe mega pack or whatever is recommended, and I'd even recommend modding after maybe your first game or two if you go with Civ, because frankly it still gets a lot of stuff "wrong" from a fun perspective.

I played Civ 5 and 6 enough to where I'm kind of done with them, and Humankind has replaced it. That said, Humankind feels like it needs about 2 or 3 major overhauls to different systems to be fully ready. It has received some big patches but I haven't played it since the first early bug fixes (kind of waiting for their next big patch, which sounds like it'll hit a lot). It DOES support modding using a 3rd party site, mod io, and has a ton of rebalancing etc. there. The main problems are the "endgame" kind of just... happens, once you get there you have probably already won and are just passing time, and some of the systems (pollution, the combat stats) are clearly and painfully flawed, but combat is functional, it's just kind of dumb (not that Civs combat isn't arguably worse).

Base game to base game with no mods.... honestly not sure, probably Humankind for me, as I think it has way more interesting things going on. Civ is has lots of expansions and mods and while Amplitude does have a good history of long term support, they don't always please everyone.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I can't even replace damn battery on my phone without some kind of hassle XD Earliest they can get battery in official service center is in like 15 days XD But I will wait, I decided that there is no reason to replace my Samsung S9 that is in perfect shape except battery. Phone is mint condition because it was in case and had screen protector since day 1.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
That Halo show trailer looks like a good time but yea a bit on the cheaper side.

1st seasons of TV shows never have a super big budget. If the reviews are good and viewership is high they will get more money for 2nd season etc.

I don't know if I am a fan of so many games getting movie/show adaptations tho.

Uncharted, TLOU, Halo, Sonic, Castlevania, Mario, Dota, RE, DOOM....It all seems so generic and lifeless for the big screen. Almost like a downgrade for the games industry.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
looks very "cable TV cheap". one of the CG shots looked nice, the rest has quite boring cinematography and the overall aesthetic isn't really doing it for me either. could still be alright but it has all the signs of being thoroughly mediocre.
Uwe Boll seal of approval

• Evil
Reactions: Tomasety

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
That Halo show trailer looks like a good time but yea a bit on the cheaper side.

1st seasons of TV shows never have a super big budget. If the reviews are good and viewership is high they will get more money for 2nd season etc.

I don't know if I am a fan of so many games getting movie/show adaptations tho.

Uncharted, TLOU, Halo, Sonic, Castlevania, Mario, Dota, RE, DOOM....It all seems so generic and lifeless for the big screen. Almost like a downgrade for the games industry.
Yeah the problem with taking games and making movies from them is that story is often secondary to why we love games so the transfer takes away the primary thing we like about them. As you say they become "lifeless". And stories in games are rarely as good as those in movies. But with that said, I will still always watch anything that is connected to games and that seem at least a bit competently made!

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Yeah the problem with taking games and making movies from them is that story is often secondary to why we love games so the transfer takes away the primary thing we like about them. As you say they become "lifeless". And stories in games are rarely as good as those in movies. But with that said, I will still always watch anything that is connected to games and that seem at least a bit competently made!
To a certain extent I think that's why DOTA and League worked so well. There is no story associated to the games itself. It is all supplementary to the game. There aren't stories told while the game is played.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Urgh i hate having to use separate launchers.

The recent Anno chat had me wanting to go back to 1800 so i thought i'd fire it up. launch it from Steam.......connecting to Ubi Connect. Log in, forgotten password as its been ages since i logged in and my computer hasn't remembered it. password reset takes ages. Finally get into it, launch game, needs an update, ok, 10GB! waiting to play.

Wish it was just on Steam. Im not buying another Ubi game.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Is this going to be another situation like with Thronebreaker, that they put it exclusively on GOG (which I won't have any trouble with since it's their game), then realize barely anyone buys it because it's not on Steam, so they cave in after a bunch of months and put it on Steam because they realize they like and want money?

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
MLB The Show '22 will be on Switch but not PC. I know there isn't a giant market for sports games on PC, but that's pretty strange, especially since it's published by Playstation.

• Eyes

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
To a certain extent I think that's why DOTA and League worked so well. There is no story associated to the games itself. It is all supplementary to the game. There aren't stories told while the game is played.
The biggest difference is Narrative versus Lore.

If you have good lore, you can make any (good) story work on TV.
If you just have the narrative as a device to advance and supplement the game, that Game can be hard to translate to TV, even if the game and the story within was good. At best you just retell the same story in a different format.

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
Couldn’t resist the lure of the Lunar sale.

Picked up Mushihimesama, which has been on my wishlist forever. I think I’m going to start picking off the really inexpensive games on my wishlist during the little sales that happen in between the big summer/winter sales.

Also grabbed Huntdown, which takes me back to something I would’ve playedduring the 16-bit era.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
People are using Steam sale to get bargain deals meanwhile i bought 3 pairs of pants for 30 euros, that's what i call a deal XD Just to be clear those pants were like 50 euros each like 2 months ago XD
Who needs pants anyways?

• Evil

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Bungie doesn't release new games every year like Activision tho so Sony doesn't have much leverage.

Also Microsoft has Halo and 343 so they probably not gonna be threatened too much by Bungies new IP.
All Sony has to show is that they let their new studio be Multiplatform and that puts pressure on Microsoft. Not saying it is much but its something.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

okay. don't care then
Compared to Microsoft recent acquisitions (Activision Blizzard and Zenimax), this seems meh

It is also surprising that Sony bought Bungie, since Bungie hasn't made anything special for Playstation

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Kojima and Remedy are next. It is what it is.

The industry is consolidating and everyone who doesn't get bought out will have a hard time existing with how expensive games are to make. And how long they take to make.

I bet Amazon picks up EA or Take-Two as well.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Pommes
Status
Not open for further replies.