Community MetaSteam | January 2023 - A new season begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Not sure I’m want any more sony games… Spider-Man ended being a disappointment and couldn’t fully get into days gone, and those two were what I was most hyped for.

still should try horizon and ghost
Their open world games are definitely a tier beneath their best stuff and that's because they try to copy ubisoft. Well that and open worlds inherently make everything worse to begin with and the industry would be better off not doing them anymore. Every time I see someone say ND or SSM should make open world games I want to throw a 2x4 at them.

But yeah sony's open world games have been hit or miss. I enjoyed days gone and spiderman but not really because they were open world. I would say the former really didn't need to be open world to begin with given how little there is to do in its world outside of story missions and the latter was fun to swing around in for a bit but the random crimes and junk to pick up really didn't add much to the game. I enjoyed both of those games for their stories and characters and story missions (where bigger scripted events happen then your generic open world content). I really disliked horizon FW and ghost of tsushima bored me a lot, I was very surprised how popular ghost was. Like yeah I get ancient japan setting is what people begged for but the game itself is such a snooze fest.

• Eyes
Reactions: C-Dub and Le Pertti

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Twitter got back to me, telling me my account was banned for "Targeted Harassment and Inciting hatred"

I can only assume that this truly is about a tweet of mine saying Musk Fans belong into a Gulag earlier last year lul
GUESS WHAT I JUST DID

Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Playing Mass Effect 2 from Legendary Edition on Deck and it is so good experience. Everything maxed out at 1440x900 resolution draining around 11-12w. Game looks and plays amazing.

Also why nobody made Decky plugin for sharing screenshots on social networks? XD

Reactions: Cacher and C-Dub

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
From Jan. 15th and on I won't be homeless anymore!! Landed the apartment and was able to pay Security/Rent. Some bumpy months ahead as I sort stuff out and build the new place up... Figure out my work situation. But man oh man, another shitty segment of my life conquered. :sweaty-blob:

Seriously thinking about downgrading my phone, I don't use many of the bells and whistles and I could really use the money right now lol
This is why even though Samsung releases a plus and ultra model I'm ok with the basic S22. :shrugblob:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
From Jan. 15th and on I won't be homeless anymore!! Landed the apartment and was able to pay Security/Rent. Some bumpy months ahead as I sort stuff out and build the new place up... Figure out my work situation. But man oh man, another shitty segment of my life conquered. :sweaty-blob:
Also, I'm glad you were able to sort that situation out :D

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
That’s fantastic news! Hopefully the rest of your life segments are good.:)

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's now 2023 and I'm planning on getting a new mobile device. I currently have a one plus 7t.

I'm thinking of either going with a Sony Xperia, One Plus 10, a moto or maybe something else.

I am not a fan of iphones.

By the way when ever I buy my phones I have been buying them unlocked since 2014 with no contract attached to my phone plan.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Been playing Rogue a legacy 2 for a little bit. Great game, also love the House Rules system (effectively accessibility options but can increase the difficulty as well). Lots of fun and highly recommended. May have made it to the bottom part of my GOTY if I had played it last year.

Also tempted by the One Piece game, but think I will hang on for a discount or 2. I still need to catch up with One Piece anyway. Stopped reading around, the Dressarosa arc. Wanted to let the chapters build up before reading more.

Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Can’t say I disagree. I don’t mind earning and showing off achievements, but I do feel games have changed because of them, and it isn’t always for the better.

I think achievements are best when they are comprehensive (as in, they cover everything a game has to do) or when they’re very basic (aka, they cover the linear path to completing the story mode of a game).

I feel when the developer has to pick and choose what parts of the game warrant an achievement, this comes at the expense of the player experiencing other content since the metagame on the platform itself is so compelling.

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Can’t disagree more, games always had “achievements” not they are just platformwide, that they have taken away from “real games” is such snobbish purist shit

edit: I’m disagreeing with the attitude in the tweet and not with C-Dub :)

• Shrug
Reactions: C-Dub

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
finally v1.0... for the fans of automation
Everything about this screams insta-buy.

Production-line automation sims are my jam. And I loves me some subversive presentation style.

But then I watched Wanderbots playing it and it looks like there may be some punitive timers in play? Like you have to keep feeding a light-source machine fuel to keep the encroaching darkness back or something, which leads to a fail state.

Timers as a primary mechanic in games are an automatic No Buy for me. I simply have no interest in being pressured to complete tasks with a clock ticking down. Not my idea of fun as I already have enough pressure in my day to day life, lol.

I would have bought the game already if not for this but as it stands I'm going to wait on some more substantive reviews. If you can turn off or substantial dial down the timer mechanics I'll reconsider.

Shame. Game looks absolutely dreamy otherwise.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
An ubisoft employee saying this is enough irony to kill a mountain. You know what else diverts dev resources? Making 500 samey enemy outposts, attaching enemy level systems in non RPGs like far cry (yeah I love it when I use a rocket launcher on a cheetah and it bounces off him because it's 1 level higher than me) and making a skill tree system that has hundreds of (mostly pointless) nodes.

Achievements are just an extension of what games have always done. Rare's platformers were known for being littered with junk and you didn't really get much for getting 100%. Mario 64 I think your reward for getting all stars was 100 lives, which is super useful when you literally just completed the entire game. Detractors of achievements like to point out that games used to have stuff like this but always forget to mention how pointless most of it was. Achievements add a little extra incentive to doing it, that's all.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I feel mixed with achievements.

One one hand they give you a goal which you can let others know you achieved.

But then again they make a game less fun since it forces you to play a certain you that you might not like.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
PC-tan why not just ignore the achievements that you don’t want to do? That’s what I do.

One thing I do like about achievements is that they do encourage mw to try different play styles and such. I often get stuck doing one thing over and over again and so need encouragement to get outside my comfort zone.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Out of all Sony games, I'll probably play Demon's Souls remake when it pops on PC, and maybe the other FROM game that shall not be named as every time someone does it gets delayed by at least one month. AT LEAST.
And I guess I would play the Horizon sequel since I played the first one, I guess that will come sometime after the DLC.
Would probably also eventually play Sushima since I'm a sucker for open world crap.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I'm thinking of either going with a Sony Xperia, One Plus 10, a moto or maybe something else.
I used to be a Oneplus stan but lately their Android flavor had started bugging me out so I've now switched to Moto. Got my Moto G200 5G at a sale for 299€ not too long ago which maybe is still too much for a phone for my use, but considering I've usually went for the 600-700€ in the past, it's certainly an improvement. Moto seems to have a fairly clean Android without too too much of manufacturer crap on top, so I'm pleased with my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.