Community MetaSteam | January 2024 - Let's get this year started!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

I wonder if they'll do another round of layoffs this year and these layoffs were just ones that they decided had to go first?

Also, I think if Call of Duty ever stops being a yearly released then MS will close a studio or two in response.
Get those teams out doing their own thing again - the ones that existed before they were sent to the CoD mines at least. You've got a lot of AA-AAA talent there (or did at one point, anyway), and could diversify revenue streams. That was the only upside I could hope for out the buyout, since layoffs and closures was obvious to anyone with half a working brain.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Do people care about ATLUS games that aren't Persona? Soul Hackers 2 sure bombed quick
Metaphor will be a critical darling, but it probably won't be a massive hit.
If its a critical darling it will definitely outperform P5R. if P5R (or vanilla) was a day n date Steam release it would have done much higher.

Soul Hackers 2 has a 74 on metacritic so it never really had a chance. It still did 6k concurrent so it wasn't that bad all things considered. Didn't help that it was a sequel to an old game which never got a steam release.

But Metaphor looks amazing. The two trailers released so far the game looks larger and more ambitious than anything Atlus done in the past.

As long as it reviews well it should do like 50-100k concurrent imo. Will be a great killer app for the Deck this year too.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I decided t finally play all Darksiders games this year. I went through 50% of the first game long time ago but never finished it. And then i put aside all other Darksiders games because i didn't finish first one. So it is time to finish them and they also work great on Deck so it is perfect timing :D

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I decided t finally play all Darksiders games this year. I went through 50% of the first game long time ago but never finished it. And then i put aside all other Darksiders games because i didn't finish first one. So it is time to finish them and they also work great on Deck so it is perfect timing :D
Great games, so good.

Two is best IMO

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
As long as it reviews well it should do like 50-100k concurrent imo. Will be a great killer app for the Deck this year too.
I agree Metaphor will do well, but no way it outperforms Infinite Wealth. It’ll do 20-40k.

Persona 6 will handily do 50k or more. Persona 3 Reload might, but I’m not confident enough to make any bets on it.

Reactions: QFNS

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

IIRC Spacewar is the app that pirates use to bypass Steam's DRM. (I assume) Palworld is doing so well it's even setting Steam piracy records.

The new Persona gacha game has a middle aged housewife as a party member. Strikers also had Zenkichi. I don't think a mainline game will ever have a fully adult cast (if only for the fact the scheduling conflicts with the calendar system would be a nightmare) but I still like they're dipping their toes into the water with adult party members.
Wasn't that persona 2 eternal punishment that has a full adult cast? Everyone being over 18 years of age.

By the way I'm currently in LA. I'm looking forward to the Nier Concert later tonight.

I'm also having fun taking photos with film. I hope Le Pertti is proud of me.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Without spoiling anything it's so disappointing that each game after 1 was either a prequel or I think at best it took place around the same time 1 does just in different locations. I've never seen a series that's like 4 games deep absolutely refuse to move forward like this, it's wild.

Reactions: Arsene

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Without spoiling anything it's so disappointing that each game after 1 was either a prequel or I think at best it took place around the same time 1 does just in different locations. I've never seen a series that's like 4 games deep absolutely refuse to move forward like this, it's wild.
Didnt the first game also straight up end on a cliffhanger too lol

Reactions: Derrick01

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
These are both just the Cloud Leopard versions, so no English support. And I'm not sure what the point even is of this Kai release. It's based on the PS4 version, however the XSEED release that's already on PC is a huge upgrade over the original Vita version, and I'm not sure what technical changes Falcom really did here. Gamastura mentions
that flash moves similar to Ys VIII have been "brought over", but Memories of Celceta already had those. I'd know, I played and finished it on Steam.

I know that older games don't have motion vectors, but this is the first I've heard this about the new engine. It's also possible that Nordics, which is their newest game, added support for motion vectors. It's Falcom's own engine, they can add stuff to it.
There are 3 possibilities:
  1. Falcom added it. Obviously possible, but then you'd expect the game to have some form of TAA on console.
  2. CLE added it. Also possible, but that's so much work that it would be really strange to me to do that and then only support XeSS rather than doing DLAA/DLSS/FSR3/XeSS. You are investing tons of general engine work to enable the prerequisites for all of these technologies, but then you're not putting in the extra 5% to give everyone the option that works best / at the highest quality for their HW?
    Of course, I'm certainly aware that not all companies agree with my ideas about how to prioritize development work on a port :p
  3. It's a non-functioning or barely-functioning hackjob. This possibility doesn't even come to mind for most people, and it does seem extremely far-fetched, but as far as I know several CLE releases e.g. have a "MSAA" option that either does nothing or almost nothing.
All 3 are perfectly possible. I'm genuinely curious what it will be.

Last edited:

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Another reason why a lot of game developers/studios are letting people go is they literally can't get third parties to invest money in them for new projects. So they pitch something and they get immediately shot down, get shot down on something else, etc etc.

Interest rates for stuff for money was basically just "Money printer goes BRRR" now its at a ridiculous rate so no one wants to share including the people whose entire job/purpose it is, is to share money for stuff.

The studio I worked at before closed down/shuttered because we doing fine for years then (Seemingly) out of nowhere we got underbid on the work contract from a similar studio. Followed by being unable to land new work. Entire studio ended up closing because of that.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It's different if a studio can't get work and naturally shuts down and different when a billion dollar company lays off people they could have working on any number of stuff with no harm to their bottomline even if that bottomline is due to success in other areas. If one of their studios really couldn't bring money in then restructure from the top that made the bad project decisions for them and put them to work on different things, consolidate as support of other teams, as DLC or whatever in successful games as a way to train them into doing what the company needs etc., just anything other than fire a programmer or artist not for doing a bad job but for doing what they were told and working on the things they were told to be working on for a decade as we've seen in roadmap leaks.

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018
Anyone get the humble monthly but not need midnight suns(wanna sell it to me)? I'd post in the BST but it seems pretty dead over there, 6 months no posts lol.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
It's funny there was so much discourse about Palworld showing Nintendo how to do it when

Yakuza Infinite Wealth

Literally has a Pokemon x Animal Crossing game that's completely optional and exists as an attachement to another whole ass JRPG.

Like, i just played that for the last 10 hours and almost forgot about the main story entirely and you're just left wondering why doesn't Nintendo do anything half this creative with either IP

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
We still dont have a new sales record from Palworld since the 8 million announcement.

I think they want to announce combined sales on Steam and XBOX, but Microsoft doesn't want people to know the approximate sales versus Steam (probably much less sales, not including Gamepass numbers)
So, if they wait a week or so to get a combined 15 million announcement, the days since the last update muddles enough that people can't approximate Xbox sales through the announcement.

I don't think they are doing a million sales a day anymore, but I also don't think it slowed down to a crawl that it didn't already reach 9 or 10 million yet. It is still the best-selling game on Steam right now.

Reactions: lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
How long did it take for you guys to finish Kingdom Come? Planning to start on that next soon.
Steam says im at 80 hours and i didin't finish the story, think i was about half way / 2 thirds through - ish.

Also i did restart a new playthrough so its probably more like 60hrs or so, it didn't click with me the first time. Found the combat tough but gave it another go and did the fighting tutorial bit a bunch of times and it became a lot of fun.

Great game, you can get lost in all the things to do in it.

Reactions: xinek

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The concert was very *hype"

Some people were even crying.

It was different than what I was expecting, I was expecting for them to just play music but that is not all that happened.

They were showing video and also playing music. The story mainly had to do with 2B and 9S and their relationship and some stuff to do with Nier Replicant as well.

RIP Papa Nier.

If any one else going to the events in Europe or else where you will very likely enjoy the event.

----------

I had the chance to get VIP tickets but sadly I was not able to. A few days ago you were still able to get VIP tickets for MSRP!!!!!!!! I guess the people had to cancel last minute.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
It's funny there was so much discourse about Palworld showing Nintendo how to do it when

Yakuza Infinite Wealth

Literally has a Pokemon x Animal Crossing game that's completely optional and exists as an attachement to another whole ass JRPG.

Like, i just played that for the last 10 hours and almost forgot about the main story entirely and you're just left wondering why doesn't Nintendo do anything half this creative with either IP
What's the incentive to do something good and well made when you can save money by not investing on development and put out a barely functional mess and still sell millions of copies?

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
What's the incentive to do something good and well made when you can save money by not investing on development and put out a barely functional mess and still sell millions of copies?
Indeed. The most recent entries proved that they could just sell a turd with the pokemon logo and still sell millions.
The concert was very *hype"

Some people were even crying.

It was different than what I was expecting, I was expecting for them to just play music but that is not all that happened.

They were showing video and also playing music. The story mainly had to do with 2B and 9S and their relationship and some stuff to do with Nier Replicant as well.

RIP Papa Nier.

If any one else going to the events in Europe or else where you will very likely enjoy the event.

----------

I had the chance to get VIP tickets but sadly I was not able to. A few days ago you were still able to get VIP tickets for MSRP!!!!!!!! I guess the people had to cancel last minute.
I'm so fucking jealous.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
We still dont have a new sales record from Palworld since the 8 million announcement.

I think they want to announce combined sales on Steam and XBOX, but Microsoft doesn't want people to know the approximate sales versus Steam (probably much less sales, not including Gamepass numbers)
So, if they wait a week or so to get a combined 15 million announcement, the days since the last update muddles enough that people can't approximate Xbox sales through the announcement.

I don't think they are doing a million sales a day anymore, but I also don't think it slowed down to a crawl that it didn't already reach 9 or 10 million yet. It is still the best-selling game on Steam right now.
I also wonder if they decided to not post updated sales numbers because of the announcement from the Pokemon company. Maybe they don’t want to keep poking the bear.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Kiwami 2 is among my favorites, enjoy!
I'm really concerned about my power consumption. It hasn't gone under 100 bucks for more than 2 years (which is a lot here in Mexico) and seeing that only my GPU pulls 350 watts fills me with dread lmao
100 USD for electricity a month? That's a fuckton, if I compare it here with Sweden.

EDIT: looking at average power consumption and prices, it seems the monthly cost is somewhere between 50 to 100. Kinda surprising, expected it to be lower.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Me paying >$100 USD every month. My lowest bill was $87 one month, my highest was $181. That's monthly. 😭 America. Land of the plenty they say![

• Sad
Reactions: QFNS
Status
Not open for further replies.