Community MetaSteam | January 2024 - Let's get this year started!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Some Ubisoft sales figures

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - 300k players, $15 million revenue
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - 1.9 million players, $133 million revenue
Assassin's Creed Mirage - 5 million players, $250 million revenue

I'm sure those numbers would be higher if they put them on a certain service.

There's also more stuff about how staff are afraid of layoffs and how management is terrible, but that's par for the course at Ubi.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

There's also more stuff about how staff are afraid of layoffs and how management is terrible, but that's par for the course at Ubi.
Holy shit, PoP and Avatar is low.

• Evil
Reactions: Ge0force

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
She's an interesting character, but I don't care much for her character design.

I made the mistake of visiting P3R's Steam Community forum.

I don't know what I expected. :flare_lmao:
I once had a manager at work, during work hours, lamenting the fact that you cannot tell homosexual people they're (homphobic f - word slur). People are fucking crazy.

Reactions: QFNS

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Even better, the transphobic shit has been removed.

Can’t wait for the usual suspects to cry about “muh sensorship!”
Tha funny thing is that specific joke was already changed in the movie series. In the summer movie the 3 boys simply meet the P4 sexy teacher (forgot her name) and everything ends up in seconds

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Is Square-Enix ok? They seem to be having an uncharacteristically productive week on PC.
First, DQB finally getting a port. And now they bring the Pixel Remasters to feature parity with the console releases.

Just took a quick look at the update, the ff6 font mod and the hex edit for higher framerate (such as 120fps) still works, and the boost feature is pretty neat, since it doesn't include just boosts, there's also options for slower growth rates (0.5x exp, gil, ...) for players that feel that the default is too fast/easy.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Got a general question for you guys. Has anyone else completely burned out on loot/stats in games? I used to get deep into the number crunching and finding out what was the best build for this or that and now it's the quickest thing to repulse me when I play a game. Not sure if it's because of my health in the last year or modern gaming has abused these things with all of their garbage +3% itching resistance or 0.5% crit damage loot but I get irritated even seeing it in legit RPGs which is where they're supposed to be.

Could also be just too many games to care about stuff like this, I think this is also why I struggle getting deep into lore of games I'm playing these days. Could also be the rise of everything being some form of a souls or DMC combat system (or shooter) and that stuff is a lot harder to notice +5 damage.

It's really annoying how even leakers with confidential sources can't even get actual sales data in this current industry. It's all player number nonsense. Revenue helps get a little bit of an idea at least but I'd still prefer units sold.

Yes I'm aware of the irony between this and my comment at the top lol

Reactions: lashman

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Got a general question for you guys. Has anyone else completely burned out on loot/stats in games? I used to get deep into the number crunching and finding out what was the best build for this or that and now it's the quickest thing to repulse me when I play a game. Not sure if it's because of my health in the last year or modern gaming has abused these things with all of their garbage +3% itching resistance or 0.5% crit damage loot but I get irritated even seeing it in legit RPGs which is where they're supposed to be.

Could also be just too many games to care about stuff like this, I think this is also why I struggle getting deep into lore of games I'm playing these days. Could also be the rise of everything being some form of a souls or DMC combat system (or shooter) and that stuff is a lot harder to notice +5 damage.

It's really annoying how even leakers with confidential sources can't even get actual sales data in this current industry. It's all player number nonsense. Revenue helps get a little bit of an idea at least but I'd still prefer units sold.

Yes I'm aware of the irony between this and my comment at the top lol
Well Ubisoft does have a subscription service so it's possible a lot of internal numbers combine sales and players on the sub service.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I'm a huge batman fan, more specifically BTA's is "my batman" if i had to choose one so Kevin Conroy passing away was one of those devastating things to hear and then reading about the stuff with Suicide Squad seemingly throwing the character into a dumpster ( I have no idea I've avoided it all so far) I got kind of bummed out.

Apparently he has two more things he did! One of them actually being a final performance of him actually as batman in a animated format in the Crisis on Infinite Earths saga coming out!!

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League Isn't Kevin Conroy's Final Batman Performance

One of them will be in Bruce Timm's Batman: Caped Crusader, an upcoming animated series that was picked up by Prime Video. While we've confirmed that Conroy did record for the show before his death, we're not entirely sure if he'll be voicing Batman specifically.

The other, however - Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part Three - will indeed have Conroy reprising Bruce Wayne/Batman from Batman: The Animated Series.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

It might be a byproduct of almost every single game out there having stats and RPG elements that are largely meaningless and grindy. Gaining a powerful new spell or ability that will give you more options in combat is fun. Getting 5% more damage every now and then that you don't really feel anyway because the enemies scale accordingly is tedious and boring.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

What did I say for PoP few weeks ago?

One way or another I have feeling that new PoP will end up same as Rayman Legends. Great game that won't satisfy Ubisoft expectations.
I mean releasing it on Steam wouldn't suddenly bring millions of sales but it would make situation bit better. Oh well Ubisoft knows the best if they say that they don't need Steam who am I to tell them otherwise, they have shareholders that can worry about that and scream at them.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018

Even among the RPGs of old, there were many with poor itemization. It's not that they have stats, but rather that they're boring. You can't only have simple stats where you're ever-so-gradually getting better. You need unique effects, aesthetic changes, set items, in-world significance, or any number of ways to bring interest. Another problem with balancing too far, where you never find anything that really makes you significantly more powerful at any given moment is that it takes away a lot of the curiosity to explore.

So to your question, I wouldn't say burned out, but perhaps less tolerance for poor itemization. A lot of these non-RPGs that have adopted this seem to lean that way though.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
If I am not forced to care about stats due to game design (cough, level scaling, cough) then I don't care too much. For the love of God I finished Witcher 3 with starting armor because I liked it the most. If I wanted to play stats game I would turn on Excel and train to compete in Excel championships XD I appreciate more games where you learn to play game better as you progress instead relying on +2% damage.

Dec 5, 2018
Worry not, they're part of the great First Run program so publishers get 100% of the money :upside-down-face:

It's funny to me how companies keep trying to make games based on disney IPs (with their draconian licensing costs) and keep barely working (maybe with the exception of Spiderman and some star wars games).

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Some hours into Kingdom Come. It's....okay, not the masterpiece people were talking about back at release, but it's decent. I do however feel that the focus on realism steps on the "fun" factor too often in the game. It's also quite janky and buggy. I have no problems with Eurojank, but Eurojank mixed with bugs is not good.
Yeah it definitely does have its quirks. I bounced off it the first time i played, couldn't get into the combat and got stuck on a mission and couldn't progress.

I went back to it, started again and just explored the world a bit more and played it as a peaceful countryside simulator and enjoyed it a lot. Very pretty game at times.
Never finished it, might go back now that you've mentioned it. Ta!

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Not exactly great dev at PR, that's literally all the info and media, no videos, nothing to really see beyond hi this thing is for X-Wing/Tie Fighter style custom fan missions. It might be neat if someone remakes the whole games though, with XWVM seemingly MIA. If anyone tries it let me know if it shows any promise, lol.

Edit: tried it, it's a nice Unity game thingie, not exactly complex atm, you can't set up custom controls it's only kbm or gamepad atm from what I see, but it works. There are quite a few missions from the original games included but you have to start them from a menu rather than play it like a campaign with cut scenes.

It works ok, the mouse controls in particular are kinda freelancer style. It might evolve into something pretty nice eventually I guess. It's neat. That's it. I guess it's kinda what I thought XWVM would end up being if they can polish it off and do the cut scenes and everything else seamlessly, though the visuals aren't as nice.

Oh there's been some new(?) XWVM stuff shown too I guess, so it's perhaps not so MIA.

Definitely nicer graphics than OG and it does the full package by just reading the original game data rather than requiring devs/fans to do it as is the intent iirc.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, by the way, MSI Afterburner is being updated again. Since early last year, I apparently missed that news. Not sure if they resolved the payment issues with the sole Russian developer or they stole it from him or something but I guess I wouldn't have missed such drama if there was any at the time? I dunno. It works.
By the way, everything works in this app for me except the fps counter overlay thingie and it hasn't for like a decade through multiple GPUs/drivers etc., anybody have a clue? Screenshots, fps limits, etc. work just fine but the fps counter never shows up even after I bind and try the related show/hide hotkeys.

Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Oh, by the way, MSI Afterburner is being updated again. Since early last year, I apparently missed that news. Not sure if they resolved the payment issues with the sole Russian developer or they stole it from him or something but I guess I wouldn't have missed such drama if there was any at the time? I dunno. It works.
By the way, everything works in this app for me except the fps counter overlay thingie and it hasn't for like a decade through multiple GPUs/drivers etc., anybody have a clue? Screenshots, fps limits, etc. work just fine but the fps counter never shows up even after I bind and try the related show/hide hotkeys.
He still works on it as far as I know.

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
So in the latest cyberpunk patch they added:

• Added a Hybrid CPU Utilization setting, which can be found under Gameplay → Performance. It can be set either to "Auto" (lets the operating system automatically decide how to distribute threads among the cores) or "Prioritize P-Cores" (prioritizes performance cores). It is set to "Auto" by default.

That's interesting, it's a setting that some games should have to not impact performance (like metro that works better on newest cpu when you disable the e-cores)

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Some hours into Kingdom Come. It's....okay, not the masterpiece people were talking about back at release, but it's decent. I do however feel that the focus on realism steps on the "fun" factor too often in the game. It's also quite janky and buggy. I have no problems with Eurojank, but Eurojank mixed with bugs is not good.
Funny, I reinstalled KC after your post inquiring about it.

Got about 7 hrs. in some years back so I was interested in revisiting now that I just did a hardware refresh.

Yeah, I lasted an hour, maybe two.

Game is a looker for sure and I loves me some open-world Elder Scrolls energy. But man, some of the idiosyncrasies just killed it for me.

First off, the camera just needs to die in a fire. From what I understand it's "attached" to the 3D character model so it's always swimming around. Walking, running, simple idle animations make the camera just float all over the place. One of the only first-person titles I've ever played that legit made me feel nauseous.

There's a mod to help but I understand it's very limited in effectiveness.

Then I'm in my local village doing opening quests and my character starts saying, "I'm hungry." every 5 minutes.

I've got no money to buy food. I just got beat up by the guy I'm supposed to collect money from for my dad. So I've also got no money to buy the charcoal for him. I'm standing still but the camera is swimming like I'm blackout drunk.

..."I'm hungry."

You know what? I'm good.

Uninstall.

• Toucan
Reactions: xinek and lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
This is very likely a cultural thing, but I always find it funny how Japanese companies seem to "love" celebrating anniversary and not really doing much.

Let guys it's 25 years of "XYZ" and at most it's usually just merch and stuff and nothing really to do with the series and stuff.

I'm not expecting them to do what Valve did for Half Life 25 anniversary (since that was pretty wild by a lot of means). But maybe do more than just say hey this game came out 20+ years ago and hey here is some stuff that you can buy. Releasing a development documentary or something would be pretty cool and getting more insight into the game. I believe that this sometimes does happen but not always.

If your going to celebrate an anniversary, make it means something. Otherwise you are basically doing what that image is showing. Because at least with the documentary even if you can't play the game you can learn more about the game and appreciate what it's done. This is one of the main reasons why I say that video games can be an art. They can be if we choose to, but yet we don't act like it, so why treat it as such. It's another reason why I think that people that say that video games are a higher form of art (and trust me they are out there) are truly not that bright.

Reactions: thekeats1999

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

I did a couple of SL1 runs in Dark Souls 2 and 3 not that long ago (again) while revisiting the games. And I just love the little important things scattered around the world. Finding that one piece of armor or ring that gives you a boost in stats that lets you use certain weapons for the SL1 run. Damage is really important in those type of runs so I enjoy being a nerd for it.

I'm itching to replay Elden Ring and return to my crazy pyro build. But first I am waiting to see when the expansions releases. so currently I'm not feeling a burnout tbh. FromSoft is the goat in terms of game design imo.

The games where it does piss me off at times is games like Destiny, Borderlands and even recentlly Starfield. You find that one gun that does a little more damage and you realize there is so many in your inventory. It becomes overwhelming and loot in general becomes a turn off. With Starfield you can at least wonder off and do other things while upgrading skills that have nothing to do with shooting. That can really be the benefit of rpgs sometimes.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I've been wanting to replay this on PC for a while but never got around to it but from what I remember about the game it has a lot of interesting ideas (and a lot of jank) but it kinda falls apart because they're trying so hard to make a realistic game and reality, especially back in the 1400s or whenever this is set, is goddamn boring. The most exciting thing you do in this game is hunt animals with a bow and brew potions with an actual brewing system that isn't just "gather junk, press a button and create new junk". There just isn't a lot going on in the game because the worst thing that can happen is you come across a few bandits on the road and then you have to try to fight them with that horrible combat system and likely die from the attempt because realism dictates you die in a few hits and you're just a normal guy not Geralt so fighting 3 guys at once is an almost guaranteed loss.

I did a couple of SL1 runs in Dark Souls 2 and 3 not that long ago (again) while revisiting the games. And I just love the little important things scattered around the world. Finding that one piece of armor or ring that gives you a boost in stats that lets you use certain weapons for the SL1 run. Damage is really important in those type of runs so I enjoy being a nerd for it.

I'm itching to replay Elden Ring and return to my crazy pyro build. But first I am waiting to see when the expansions releases. so currently I'm not feeling a burnout tbh. FromSoft is the goat in terms of game design imo.

The games where it does piss me off at times is games like Destiny, Borderlands and even recentlly Starfield. You find that one gun that does a little more damage and you realize there is so many in your inventory. It becomes overwhelming and loot in general becomes a turn off. With Starfield you can at least wonder off and do other things while upgrading skills that have nothing to do with shooting. That can really be the benefit of rpgs sometimes.
You guys definitely made me feel a bit better that it wasn't just me or some health issue, I think I really did just get sick of seeing numbers go up in the most marginal ways possible. I also got sick of skill trees that give boosts to numbers because I just can't get a good feel for most of that in action, I can't perceive a 2% boost to causing poison or whatever. I prefer skill trees that give actual new abilities that can change the game.

Regarding souls while I wouldn't say their loot is anywhere near the same poor quality of many games I was thinking of I still preferred sekiro which didn't have any gear/weapons lol. In my elden ring run I chose to main katanas and there were like 3 in the whole game that I found or something along those lines. I found one early on and then wasn't able to change my weapon for dozens of hours because everything I found was meant for other builds or casters. Dex gear in general felt a bit sparse so that kinda soured my opinion on all the loot I was getting.

Reactions: xinek

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I had the chance to check out Granblue Fantasy: Relink's PC port. While it certainly isn't perfect, it's still probably the best way to play the game.

Granblue Fantasy: Relink is best played on PC, despite some quirks | RPG Site
There are a lot of JRPGs (and really, even other games) released that have minor (or even major) differences in non-gameplay-related (or even gameplay-related :p) physics at different framerates. It's one of the things that requires real "core" work in porting, and especially if it's not-gameplay-related it will be de-prioritized (even in cases where QA is broad and good enough to catch it in the first place).
So I can sort of understand that, or at least not get too mad about it.

The settings as described are extremely barebones though.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
There are a lot of JRPGs (and really, even other games) released that have minor (or even major) differences in non-gameplay-related (or even gameplay-related :p) physics at different framerates. It's one of the things that requires real "core" work in porting, and especially if it's not-gameplay-related it will be de-prioritized (even in cases where QA is broad and good enough to catch it in the first place).

The settings as described are extremely barebones though.
Yeah, I'm not actually upset about it - I've noticed it in plenty of games, and it doesn't impact gameplay. Still, it's worth mentioning since I caught it!

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, I'm not actually upset about it - I've noticed it in plenty of games, and it doesn't impact gameplay. Still, it's worth mentioning since I caught it!
Since you're here and got to play the game I have a completely different question though ;).
The game is listed as "online co-op" in Steam. How exactly does this work, and what is the extent of it? I.e. what I really want to know is, can the entire story (or almost all of it) be played as a co-op experience, or is it limited to specific content?

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Since you're here and got to play the game I have a completely different question though ;).
The game is listed as "online co-op" in Steam. How exactly does this work, and what is the extent of it? I.e. what I really want to know is, can the entire story (or almost all of it) be played as a co-op experience, or is it limited to specific content?
It's limited to specific content. The main story is singleplayer only, while Quests are open to multiplayer. Once you're done with the story the quests are the meat of the game; I ended up doing a few endgame fights with the developers since I noticed some of them had made a lobby when I randomly checked about a week back.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It's limited to specific content. The main story is singleplayer only, wild Quests are open to multiplayer. Once you're done with the story the quests are the meat of the game; I ended up doing a few endgame fights with the developers since I noticed some of them had made a lobby when I randomly checked about a week back.
Thanks! That's too bad.
Actually having full story co-op is a real USP for JRPGs that I feel is not nearly valued enough. If you already implement all the mechanics to allow online co-op then the incremental extra effort to have story co-op is relatively small.

(It also doesn't help that several franchises which were known for their co-op have dropped it recently, including both Tales of and Mana)

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
So the Brothers remake looks... kinda bad? a lot of the original game's charm has been lost in the shift to a more photorealistic art style
It has that we're allergic to colour brown is the primary choice for everything of the 2020s

Even just the first couple of seconds in with them hopping onto the stone steps they got rid of 90% of the green. Graphically it looks like a huge upgrade but it doesn't really remind me of a "story book" kind of tale anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.