Community MetaSteam | July 2019 - Racing Towards Empty Wallets

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I looked that the weather forecast and saw that it would be much colder, so I thought good I'll go change to a suit again... not reflecting that even if it's much colder, it's still hot as fuck haha... and the locker where I have my clothes is closed.T_T

At least tomorrow it should be like half of what it was yesterday.
Good news everyone, today is 4 degrees colder than yesterday:

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I don't know why everyone's hysterical about the weather. It's not even that warm. We always had summers like that every 3-4 years and the rest of them are rainy and depressing. You'll live my cold loving friends, you won't melt, believe me. And the other 11 months it will be shitty, rainy, cloudy and cold again, don't you worry. Just enjoy the few (at most) sunny and beautiful weeks we got gifted because the next year will be shitty again. In short: shut the fuck up you whiney mofos!
Give me those rainy, depressing summers pleaaase I beg you. All I've ever known are shitty 35 to 40 °C boiling hot summers every single fucking day every single fucking year here in Italy.

I want rainy, depressing summers.

In other news, I want to leave.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
It's been 34-39 inside of my apartment these last three days. Sweat instantly starts dripping from my head whenever I step away from my fan. The air is also really heavy, so it actually feels better being outside. Any part of my body that is in contact with a surface becomes sweaty. Couldn't fall asleep until 4am last night. This weather sucks.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Give me those rainy, depressing summers pleaaase I beg you. All I've ever known are shitty 35 to 40 °C boiling hot summers every single fucking day every single fucking year here in Italy.

I want rainy, depressing summers.

In other news, I want to leave.
haha i'm always happy when i have time to go to my apartment in Rome :)
sadly, most of the time i'm a few hundred km up north but hopefully, sometimes in the future, i can keep staying in Rome or Naples. Or fuck it, somewhere where it's hot 24/7 the whole year! (rome is cold in winter :( )

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
FYI, cdkeys has summer sale. Bought Shadow of War for ~5€.

Download is almost 100GB, what the...
Any highlights from the sale?

Edit: just checked myself. I find it crazy that their base price for some games are higher than other more official stores. This makes their sale price more expensive

Last edited:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Half tempted to ask for someone to buy me that Russian Steam ver. of Youngblood, but iirc, region switching has a 7 day cooldown right?

The more baffling thing is Koikatsu Party being a top seller despite being $60.
I would pay good money for a western-styled dress-up game with extensive/realistic wardrobe options, don't even need the lewd stuff (I mean I'm fine either way) so I can sort of understand it.

There is no GaaS market: GaaS is a method, not a genre.

The market is player attention. You want players to come back frequently (if possible, daily) and launch your game to complete daily quests, play time-limited content, etc. because that it the best way to
I notice that all those "player retention mechanisms" are turning me away from those games to begin with. I start some of those F2P gacha games now and then, but I always drop them quickly because those daily login rewards etc always start to feel like a chore or an obligation quickly and I can't be bothered with that nonsense, so more often than not I ignore those games without giving them a try at all.
I'm a "one and done" type of gamer. I value a complete package that I pay for once for that has a defined end (i.e story) and lets me consume it at my own pace. (Incidentally this is also why I'm not big on rogue-like/lite games. Shame most of the card games seem to go that way, I really like card games :( ).
Games have always had, broadly speaking, 2 "loop" patterns: Endless, and linear. Endless games back in the day like Everquest, Age of Empires, Quake / Quake 2 MP, etc. didn't have GaaS stuff, they just were the games they were and had no real end in mind. People have always played these games, and mixed them up, gone back and forth, jumped on new things, etc. The difference now is the "GaaS" mechanics have escalated the stakes for players of those games, and the games themselves are designed around the GaaS model rather than GaaS being an enhancement. You, as a player, are punished for going to play something else for a day or a week, whereas it used to be it didn't matter.

Take Destiny 2. I enjoyed playing through the quest lines and story and such of Destiny 2, but the GaaS is layered on super fucking thick, it is grindy as all get out, and has effectively stopped me from playing the game, because as much as I enjoy the basic gameplay I don't want to spend 20 hours to progress 3 steps on 1 weapon quest, while juggling multiple daily / weekly bounties (as an aside, the inventory / bounty limits in D2 are obnoxious as well and a huge turn off), so I have effectively no reason to play and I am "punished" by not playing constantly so why play at all? The grind is so insane that every opportunity you don't take to chip away at it is essentially wrong.

Now take Battlefield V. I would argue the actual gameplay of BFV is not as polished or easy to get sucked into as D2, and BFV also has some GaaS traits, but they are on the opposite end of the spectrum - the dailies are essentially pointless, the weeklies reward an entirely new weapon or special skin can usually be done in an evening (I did the new one this week in 4-5 rounds last night). I will keep on coming back to BFV because it doesn't punish me for not playing, I could miss some weeks and really make no difference to anything.

GaaS isn't a genre, correct. But GaaS are inherently all competing against each other more than directly against non-GaaS games because of that model. Even gamers that only play one or two genres have a glut of choices for GaaS games of their genre more than likely, and that's an issue. Wolfenstein Youngblood is competing against those games, because it is a GaaS game, and frankly there's a lot of bad design decisions overall in the game (co-op game that's a GaaS with leveling and level gating? That's multiple ways to punish you for not playing consistently). I am always and have always played multiple non-linear, non-ending games, and will continue to do so, but GaaS are the worst of the bunch by far and I'll continue to avoid them, but that's personal preference. For most people it's just a choice of which 1-3 GaaS games can they juggle at a time? Because once you leave one for any length it's unlikely you go back. That's the market Youngblood is jumping into, and that's the market more and more games are trying to get a piece of, and it's not infinite.

I don't think "endless" games are inherently a problem, I think the GaaS model is the problem, because it warps the design of those games.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
yes ... yes, you should ... it's sooooo much better than chrome (or vivaldi, or whatever else - they all use chromium anyway)

I used to really like FF back in the day then it became much slower (and uglier tbh) than Chrome and Chromium and I switched to that. I'll never use Chrome because fuck Google and their data-grabbing privacy policy but Vivaldi is pretty great (Brave desktop is also good). The only thing I miss about Firefox is how it renders text sooo much better, way easier to read than with any chromium-based browser. I've tried it again recently but it just feels slow compared to Vivaldi and I can't go back to it.

Reactions: lashman

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I switched from Chrome to Firefox, but I kinda want to go back. FF is such a crazy memory hog. People rag on Chrome but I've never seen it eat up 2,5 gigs of memory as easily as FF. Also had more crashes in the few weeks I used FF than the years I've spent with Chrome. Most importantly however, the Dark Reader extension sucks on FF. Kills performance really badly whereas on Chrome it's pretty much problem free. Definitely not the most hassle free browser out there. But at least it's not run by Google.

Reactions: MJunioR

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I just hard dropped Apex Legends after season two started due to the tasks. The dailies and weeklies sap all the fun out of the game for me. And no, I can't ignore it, because they're constantly staring me in the face -- TO DO, TO DO, TO DO. The last thing I need in my life is another goddamn TO DO list. When I see those lists and contemplate doing them, I figure I may as well fucking sign off and go do chores irl. At least it would be a good use of time, unlike video game chores.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Oh hey a Wolf: Youngblood banner that says 'Purchase now!'
Clicks banner
Game is still not available in my region

Bethy whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reactions: xinek and Mivey

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
GMG sent me a 15% voucher for their sale, so I've looked around a bit and their sale is pretty crazy?
Like, I can buy Prey for 4,84€, additionally get 4 games from that Intel pack + 1 other game from the gold rewards.
Brb, buying Prey.
And Moero Chronicles for 2 bucks to counterbalance this non-anime purchase with enough anime. :blobyesanime:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Oh hey a Wolf: Youngblood banner that says 'Purchase now!'
Clicks banner
Game is still not available in my region

Bethy whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
That's actually great with this one. You can finally buy the normal ROW version in Austria, no need to get the key from outside sources./
GMG sent me a 15% voucher for their sale, so I've looked around a bit and their sale is pretty crazy?
Like, I can buy Prey for 4,84€, additionally get 4 games from that Intel pack + 1 other game from the gold rewards.
Brb, buying Prey.
And Moero Chronicles for 2 bucks to counterbalance this non-anime purchase with enough anime. :blobyesanime:
The more people play Prey, the better place the world becomes

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
MonHun for 20€ is almost low enough for me, but I'm still salty about the (continued) delays so it can wait.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Firefox doesnt like the notification slidebar.

Tomb raider games on sale again, wtf

Deleted member 113

That said, are there any standouts among the games you can claim from a bronze purchase?
Well, I did a quick check on that list, and you can do a lot worse than any of the following, especially for free:

Megamagic: Wizards of the Neon Age
Toybox Turbos (this one is a lot of fun; it's a Micro Machines game done right, in terms of gameplay, despite lacking the branding)
Onikira: Demon Killer
The Last Door: Season One
The Silent Age

You also have several games from the Lucius series, which are sort of a guilty pleasure of mine. :giggle:

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com

Anyone played Venetica? How is it?
I reviewed it in 2015, early when I first started writing them.

It holds a special place in my heart as the first game that I reviewed that I didn't have to buy.

It's an overwhelmingly mediocre ARPG with some hella racist stereotypes concerning people of color.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Moero Chronicle! :lewdblob:
I've checked my friendslist and enough people on it either already have it or want it that I don't feel too ashamed about it :p
I checked the store page after reading this and-

Like I have so many IFI games and I haven't touched a single one nor do I know when or where im buying them. What the fuck is wrong with me?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I reviewed it in 2015, early when I first started writing them.

It holds a special place in my heart as the first game that I reviewed that I didn't have to buy.

It's an overwhelmingly mediocre ARPG with some hella racist stereotypes concerning people of color.

Thanks. Yeah some of that stuff is not gonna fly by well. I'd still play it to judge its gameplay on my own merits tho.

Not sure if Nvidia inspector settings is cause of the crash I encountered but man were some non essential textures so ghetto from the PS2 and PS3 era

Status
Not open for further replies.