Community MetaSteam | July 2019 - Racing Towards Empty Wallets

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
OK, I finally bought Skyrim after a bajillion years. Wonder if it's worth modding it to hell and back and giving it a try.

Also bought many other Bethesda games. No idea when will I ever need Fallout 4, both Evil Withins or the older Elder Scrolls, but whatever.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
OK, I finally bought Skyrim after a bajillion years. Wonder if it's worth modding it to hell and back and giving it a try.

Also bought many other Bethesda games. No idea when will I ever need Fallout 4, both Evil Withins or the older Elder Scrolls, but whatever.
TEW definitely yes.

Deleted member 113

Finished Catherine.
It's a very stylish game, with a great soundtrack, some great animation cutscenes, and a very interesting premise, but I must say some of the difficulty spikes in the game are borderline infuriating, and impacted my enjoyment a bit.

Normal difficulty is hard as hell after a certain point, I mean it's such a sudden increase in difficulty, I ended up spending an hour or so repeating the same stage over and over, so for the first time in my life, I had to drop the difficulty to easy (which isn't really a walk in the park either; I'm sure some people will never finish the game), in order to see the end of the game.
Making stages essentially big puzzles, but adding aggressive time limits (since the stage keeps tumbling down), adding hazards like ice blocks that make you slip and fall to your death, and on top of that having to learn attack patterns and dodge them on boss stages, is a bit too much.

Definitely, it wasn't the ideal game to play while trying to chill out, and switch my mind off for a bit. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
so metro exodus is worthless on gamepass for me at least on PC. cant make it past the opening credits without it crashing

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Finished Catherine.
It's a very stylish game, with a great soundtrack, some great animation cutscenes, and a very interesting premise, but I must say some of the difficulty spikes in the game are borderline infuriating, and impacted my enjoyment a bit.

Normal difficulty is hard as hell after a certain point, I mean it's such a sudden increase in difficulty, I ended up spending an hour or so repeating the same stage over and over, so for the first time in my life, I had to drop the difficulty to easy (which isn't really a walk in the park either; I'm sure some people will never finish the game), in order to see the end of the game.
Making stages essentially big puzzles, but adding aggressive time limits (since the stage keeps tumbling down), adding hazards like ice blocks that make you slip and fall to your death, and on top of that having to learn attack patterns and dodge them on boss stages, is a bit too much.

Definitely, it wasn't the ideal game to play while trying to chill out, and switch my mind off for a bit. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
The game has a Very Easy mode btw. You have to hold down the back button while highlighting Golden Theater in the main menu for a few seconds to unlock it.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

The game has a Very Easy mode btw. You have to hold down the back button while highlighting Golden Theater in the main menu for a few seconds to unlock it.
Yeah, I know. :)

But, if dropping the difficulty to Easy was a bit of a hit to my pride (I'm a guy who plays games like the Mega Man series, and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and finishes them, and usually doesn't quit with hard games, but instead learns and improves, until I complete them), I can't imagine what playing on Very Easy would do to my ego. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Easy was very doable (it's probably what Normal should have been), and curiously enough, I think the last stages weren't as bad as some of the earlier ones (it was either Night 6 or 7 that made me lose my cool a bit).
I believe I played and completed the first 5 Nights on Normal, I dropped the difficulty on Night 6, I believe, and playing that Night on Easy was maybe a bit too easy, at least on some of the stages, but Night 7, even on Easy, was just annoying. Nights 8 and 9 were extremely easy by comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Finished Catherine.

Those spikes made me stop playing the game on Ps3 back in the day. Actually, I think I got near night 5 or 6. After reading your overall experience, the day I try the game on Steam I know that easy is the way to go to enjoy the story and not getting mad at those puzzles. The most intriguing thing to me is why they thought that a high difficulty puzzle game would mesh well with an interesting story. You are placing hurdles for those wanting to enjoy a good story and a fun game. I don't know man :D

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Yeah, I know. :)

But, if dropping the difficulty to Easy was a bit of a hit to my pride (I'm a guy who plays games like the Mega Man series, and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and finishes them, and usually doesn't quit with hard games, but instead learns and improves, until I complete them), I can't imagine what playing on Very Easy would do to my ego. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Easy was very doable (it's probably what Normal should have been), and curiously enough, I think the last stages weren't as bad as some of the earlier ones (it was either Night 6 or 7 that made me lose my cool a bit).
I believe I played and completed the first 5 Nights on Normal, I dropped the difficulty on Night 6, I believe, and playing that Night on Easy was maybe a bit too easy, at least on some of the stages, but Night 7, even on Easy, was just annoying. Nights 8 and 9 were extremely easy by comparison.
Is it worth selling my ps3 version and grabbing it for pc? I remember the launch seemed a bit rocky for the pc version

Deleted member 113

Those spikes made me stop playing the game on Ps3 back in the day. Actually, I think I got near night 5 or 6. After reading your overall experience, the day I try the game on Steam I know that easy is the way to go to enjoy the story and not getting mad at those puzzles. The most intriguing thing to me is why they thought that a high difficulty puzzle game would mesh well with an interesting story. You are placing hurdles for those wanting to enjoy a good story and a fun game. I don't know man :D
Yeah, Night 6 on Normal is just annoying.
Here I am, wanting to continue the story, and I'm repeating the same stage over and over. :(

Is it worth selling my ps3 version and grabbing it for pc? I remember the launch seemed a bit rocky for the pc version
I remember reading about those launch problems, which was one of the reasons why I waited to play the game, but then I kept reading that the game had been patched, and it was now fine, and indeed I can't say I experienced any issues worth pointing out.
The game played fine, I had no crashes, I didn't experience any slowdowns.

So, you should be fine playing it on PC now.
The "Very Positive" reviews on Steam are also telling, because at launch, the game had mixed reviews (due to the problems it had with the PC port).

Reactions: Echoes and MJunioR

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Just finished Ray Gigant. Honestly that was a really solid 20 hour experience. Also that credits song was really good and the perfect send-off. Shame that I can't find it on youtube :/ (or anywhere).

Also this made me laugh:

(No the localization is not terrible. It's not amazing either, but decent enough)
Lol.

Deleted member 113

The best part of Catherine is the gameplay. Ya’ll want to romance girls you gotta WORK for them.
Actually, I think the gameplay ends up not being on par with the rest of the presentation. :giggle:

Reactions: PhaZZe

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Just finished Ray Gigant. Honestly that was a really solid 20 hour experience. Also that credits song was really good and the perfect send-off. Shame that I can't find it on youtube :/ (or anywhere).

Also this made me laugh:

(No the localization is not terrible. It's not amazing either, but decent enough)
Lol.
Don't let the fact that the Revisited is stuck on Vita, the other Experience Inc games on Steam are great as well.
Best damn DRPGs on PC, until Sega forces Atlus to port Etrian Odyssey games
(Maybe someone will bring over Demon Gaze too...)

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Yeah, Night 6 on Normal is just annoying.
Here I am, wanting to continue the story, and I'm repeating the same stage over and over. :(

I remember reading about those launch problems, which was one of the reasons why I waited to play the game, but then I kept reading that the game had been patched, and it was now fine, and indeed I can't say I experienced any issues worth pointing out.
The game played fine, I had no crashes, I didn't experience any slowdowns.

So, you should be fine playing it on PC now.
The "Very Positive" reviews on Steam are also telling, because at launch, the game had mixed reviews (due to the problems it had with the PC port).
Well that'll fetch a few bucks, the ps3 version is rarer than I had thought, thanks for the heads up. Will finally be able to put some real time into it

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
what do you mean by PS4 install duct tape wizardry?
Remember how MGS4 had to install each chapter separately? It's that. Porting that game would require more work than Konami would ever be arsed to put in, even 9 years ago.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Remember how MGS4 had to install each chapter separately? It's that. Porting that game would require more work than Konami would ever be arsed to put in, even 9 years ago.
You talking about Konami like they care about quality.
They'd just give the source code to a one-person team, and force them to release something a year later, no matter how broken it would be. And the sad fact is, they couldn't even be arsed with that, as it clearly doesn't promise them the same kind of perpetual revenue source they get from making mobile games or other GAAS stuff.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
Don't let the fact that the Revisited is stuck on Vita, the other Experience Inc games on Steam are great as well.
[snip]
Death Mark (which is now the subtitle for some reason entirely unknown to me) is good too, albeit being more of a puzzle/adventure type game than a pure crawler RPG.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Death Mark (which is now the subtitle for some reason entirely unknown to me) is good too, albeit being more of a puzzle/adventure type game than a pure crawler RPG.

They just announced the sequel NG so I guess they want to keep them under the same umbrella. They did the same thing with Zero Escape before it came to PC.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
They just announced the sequel NG so I guess they want to keep them under the same umbrella. They did the same thing with Zero Escape before it came to PC.
Yeah, also, I can't imagine being able to search for NG on any store/google. 'Spirit Hunter: NG' though....

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Stranger of Sword City is tough as nails, but really good. However, IMO Labyrinth of Refrain is the better overall package.

Play Labyrinth of Refrain, folks. Also - not DRPGs, but Catherine is great until you have the damn co-op level and you have to hope to all that's holy that the AI won't fuck up.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Isn't the issue with DRPGs that they are just very very niche on PC? I think DRPGs are the most niche genre of Japanese game on PC. The genre itself was popular but didn't people move away from it in the 90s, well people on PC moved away from it?

Also when is the XSEED Wizardry game being released again?

Ask Kodakawa they might be able to being the game (Demon Gaze) to PC

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Gonna be without internet for a week after we move, yaaaaay...

Kinda wondering if GOG 2.0's going to have some community features for filling in game metadata. It certainly seems to need it, and it's cathartic finding and touching up covers and backgrounds to lots of obscure games I have. Plus the genre's could use some work, those you can't seem to edit.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Damn, how do I not own DOOM 3 BFG? Just saw some footage of the VR Mod and it looks ridiculous. Good thing it's Quakecon Weekend.
I dunno about you but I specifically avoided doom 3 BFG edition because it gave you a censored edition of the other dooms on steam

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I dunno about you but I specifically avoided doom 3 BFG edition because it gave you a censored edition of the other dooms on steam
I think there was talk about it not being as good as the og for various reason, maybe mods or whatever at the time.

I ended up grabbing it today and it's pretty wild in vr. Definitely worth checking out if anyone has it in their library.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I'm about 100 years late but wow Evagelion sure is something. All y'all anime lovers in here have probably already seen it, but man what a rollercoaster.

The end felt like a David Lynch movie. And I liked Twin Peaks Season 3, but.... wow.

Anyhow, games are still happening. Been playing way too much Civ 6 with the new expansion. ALL SHALL BOW BEFORE CANADA, EH? It is hilarious thinking about Canada developing these giant death robots and and then putting out insane culture and converting the rest of the world to Canadian-ism.
Man, Civ rules.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm about 100 years late but wow Evagelion sure is something. All y'all anime lovers in here have probably already seen it, but man what a rollercoaster.

The end felt like a David Lynch movie. And I liked Twin Peaks Season 3, but.... wow.
EoE is beautiful. I don't know if "beautiful" is the correct term for the (EoE spoilers) cosmic horror that is happening while a broken man were trying to decide if life is worth living while deciding the ultimate fate of mankind while he's at it, but it is marvelous in its execution.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Anyhow, games are still happening. Been playing way too much Civ 6 with the new expansion. ALL SHALL BOW BEFORE CANADA, EH? It is hilarious thinking about Canada developing these giant death robots and and then putting out insane culture and converting the rest of the world to Canadian-ism.
Man, Civ rules.
Eva is good.

Reactions: Kvik

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018

Man, Civ rules.
Glad yo hear that you enjoyed watching the best anime

Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Hype for the new Atelier is very real, there are three companies making figures of Ryza atm, Wonderful Works, Phat, and Amakumi
I'm glad GUST will finally have a hit on their hands, between game sales and merch licensing they should have tons of cash flowing their way. I just hope TK lets them utilize the funds for bigger budget games instead of pocketing all the money for themselves.

On the other hand, it kinda feels dirty to see all these new people clamoring for Atelier just cuz they like the MC. Feels a bit like the Automata situation where people flocked to 2B, but really couldn't give a shit less about the struggle Yoko Taro has endured to get his games and creative vision out there.

As long as it has three protagonist, one focused on thighs, one on buttocks and one on calves, I'm game.
There's not enough games for feet fetishists as well, pray hope Gust fills that niche
When are you applying for GUST CEO position? :unsure: You have my vote.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I'm glad GUST will finally have a hit on their hands, between game sales and merch licensing they should have tons of cash flowing their way. I just hope TK lets them utilize the funds for bigger budget games instead of pocketing all the money for themselves.

On the other hand, it kinda feels dirty to see all these new people clamoring for Atelier just cuz they like the MC. Feels a bit like the Automata situation where people flocked to 2B, but really couldn't give a shit less about the struggle Yoko Taro has endured to get his games and creative vision out there.
Honestly, the MC is not what piqued my interest in Ryza. It's the budget increase, which leads to various things, including the visuals. I'm not really a fan of the MC design, and I hate how she runs judging by that gameplay video.

Also, what's this about Yoko Taro's struggle? I thought his fans were cheering his creative vision of 2B.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
TIL you can change your username. From this day forward I am Ryna no more. Finally I can rid myself of that stupid nickname completely. (well except PSN but whatever)

Honestly, the MC is not what piqued my interest in Ryza. It's the budget increase, which leads to various things, including the visuals. I'm not really a fan of the MC design, and I hate how she runs judging by that gameplay video.

Also, what's this about Yoko Taro's struggle? I thought his fans were cheering his creative vision of 2B.
Same boat. The game looks like it has a actual budget this time around so hopefully we'll get an actually polished comfy atelier game this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.