Community MetaSteam | July 2020 - Blood on the Horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
So much concern trolling regarding game pass on Twitter, Reddit and so on.

Game pass is great value and it does indeed sell games considering I use game pass as a demo service for what I wanna buy on Steam/PC and if the game is console exclusive (like Kingdom Hearts games) I usually just play the game on game pass. Like I have had KH 2.8 HD sitting in my PSN wishlist since forever, but I have always found the price too high, but now that it is on game pass I plan on playing it there unless a PC version is announced.

I have only heard good things about game pass from indie devs. They get upfront money from MS, lots of people tries the game and if it's good it gives the game more word of mouth, some people then finish it via game pass and others (like me) buys it regardless of where they buy it.
Console Warriors get really angry when another group is simply enjoying the act of playing video games. Everything coming out about Game Pass is really positive, so they have to concern troll to combat it. It's funny.

I think Game Pass is an interesting study on renting vs buying on your preferred platform. Lots of games come out day 1 on PC, and yet do very well on Steam.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm going to sound crazy but there was a Samurai Jack X Ghost of T that I just got on YouTube. It made me consider getting the game. I couldn't find it after words.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
to be fair when a game is leaving game pass ms likes to give at least a month's notice on their socials and in the app/console interface plus a discount if you purchase it outright. sometimes it's just the base 20% discount but for forza horizon 3 it was like 50-80% off different dlcs which was really nice.

it's really changed the way i buy/play games. i buy a lot less games (though i am buying ones that leave game pass and am getting dlc for ms first party titles that i normally wouldn't before) but also play a lot more which is kinda funny and unexpected from what i thought it would be at first. i also mentally put games into tiers of "buy at launch", "buy at discount", and "wait til game pass". but i've also tried out a lot of games i never would have touched either. so it's a win for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
So much concern trolling regarding game pass on Twitter, Reddit and so on.

Game pass is great value and it does indeed sell games considering I use game pass as a demo service for what I wanna buy on Steam/PC and if the game is console exclusive (like Kingdom Hearts games) I usually just play the game on game pass. Like I have had KH 2.8 HD sitting in my PSN wishlist since forever, but I have always found the price too high, but now that it is on game pass I plan on playing it there unless a PC version is announced.

I have only heard good things about game pass from indie devs. They get upfront money from MS, lots of people tries the game and if it's good it gives the game more word of mouth, some people then finish it via game pass and others (like me) buys it regardless of where they buy it.
People invested in console wars don't like that their enemy pay less for their games. How dare they want to pay less.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
People invested in console wars don't like that their enemy pay less for their games. How dare they want to pay less.
That and peo0ple just thinking in extremes. Everything is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever shat by humans.
That's why AA - A games are barely a thing on consoles, nothing can be 'just good enough now'.

Just look at how some people treat indies as of some sort of 'dime a dozen' thing.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
That and peo0ple just thinking in extremes. Everything is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever shat by humans.
That's why AA - A games are barely a thing on consoles, nothing can be 'just good enough now'.

Just look at how some people treat indies as of some sort of 'dime a dozen' thing.
Yeah, I can't stand those kinds of people.

These gamers act like they care about devs, but the truth is they only care about AAA games. They don't even care about the devs, because every time there's a crunch issue being surfaced, they simply defend the studio instead of the devs. There's no room for indies and AA games in their lives. I've posted dozens, if not hundreds of threads about indie and AA games in Era, and they barely got any traction. I also created a topic at some point, encouraging people promote indie games. We can support them by creating a topic or even by simply posting/retweeting them in your social media feeds. People got riled up instead and said it's not their job to promote the games. Meanwhile, they'd race to be the first to create the next big news about AAA games. It's not uncommon to see duplicate threads when something big is announced.

I've simply had enough.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I should play Max Payne 3 again. :thinking:
Play on easy and remember to NOT BULLET TIME WHILE JUMPING TOWARDS THE BAD GUYS
Also keep in mind that it invovles a white guy shooting up various poor people because that is how murrica views non murrican countries fown south
Just sayin :v
The last Airport level is worth it
I hated that level mainly because bt then i had my fill of the game.
One of those games where it shouldve ended 3 or so hours ago
Which could be said about various ps360 era games

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Yeah, I can't stand those kinds of people.

These gamers act like they care about devs, but the truth is they only care about AAA games. They don't even care about the devs, because every time there's a crunch issue being surfaced, they simply defend the studio instead of the devs. There's no room for indies and AA games in their lives. I've posted dozens, if not hundreds of threads about indie and AA games in Era, and they barely got any traction. I also created a topic at some point, encouraging people promote indie games. We can support them by creating a topic or even by simply posting/retweeting them in your social media feeds. People got riled up instead and said it's not their job to promote the games. Meanwhile, they'd race to be the first to create the next big news about AAA games. It's not uncommon to see duplicate threads when something big is announced.

I've simply had enough.

I'm not a game dev and I do know that there are those that do try to put messages into their games and stuff and while I'm sure that there is at least a number of games that have this message, the message being "Don't Ask Questions, Just Consume Product and Then Get Excited for Next Products* (sorry I don't know how to unbold and I'm on mobile)

Since that is the type of way that people live and the sad part is that for maybe 2 years or so that is actually how I use to live my life.... I don't think I really even played those games at all. I guess that I had nothing else really else going for me at the time that these new shiney toys would be what gets me through the day, but what then? What did I really get from it?

maybe we just need to hype up Indies more or something.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Play on easy and remember to NOT BULLET TIME WHILE JUMPING TOWARDS THE BAD GUYS
Also keep in mind that it invovles a white guy shooting up various poor people because that is how murrica views non murrican countries fown south
Just sayin :v

I hated that level mainly because bt then i had my fill of the game.
One of those games where it shouldve ended 3 or so hours ago
Which could be said about various ps360 era games
I’m playing on Hard :p and yeah some of the game themes are not great but I let it slide because ‘noire’. (And because I have great memories about the game). Max even mentions it in one of his lines, saying how his job is ensuring poor people doesn’t get to close to his employers.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
TIL my 4K TV can output 1440p 60, you just have to set a custom res for it, like 1080p 120.
This is so stupid. Nvidia deleting my cutom res whenever they feel like it is the cherry on top.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
So I am getting a loading icon for library and it still isn' t loading. It is the steam icon in blue with three moving squares below it.

I load activity feed just okay but it isn't as concerning as not being able to load my library.

Now it loads but I can't connect to friends >.>

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Eh, all this talk about Max Payne 3 lead me to install the first, to replay it and hopefully play 2-3 for the first time.
The French Steam version is a doozy to install, need to fan patch the sound and replace corrupted level files.

It will totally go as planned, will it :thinking-blob:

• Love
Reactions: NarohDethan

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Hardware is expansive and people want the best thing for their budget. Therefore the thing they bought or are looking forward to buy needs to be the best and only logical option. Everything else doesn't make sense and is therefore bad, because if it wasn't they might have wasted their hard earned cash and that would hurt. Add confirmation bias and social bubbles to the mix and you have an endless cycle of people sucking their own dicks.

And while it is fun to look at console wars, the PC space is not guilt free either. Take a look at discussions about upcoming GPUs.
People are throwing around "leaked" benchmarks without knowing of what was actually leaked and under what conditions. Biased YT videos are being made, with just the right amount of siphoned half truths and plausible leaks to fuel the own narratives. It doesn't even stop with AMD vs Nvidia, it goes beyond. Everybody who bought a RTX 2000 card two years was stupid, there were barely any RTX games and DLSS just became good. But I waited, because I was smart and now I'm going to buy a RTX 3000 card. Suffer in your own failures RTX 2000 peasant.
(I'm exaggerating for "comedic" effect)

I feel like the "waring" will get worse in the future.

Sony and Microsoft have different agendas, which is pretty visible in the way the present things. Sony is focused on selling hardware with games and PS5 is just like every other launch. They learned the value of giving their studios free reign over projects. Microsoft is switching into being a service, while trying to sell hardware at the same time. They are stuck in a transitional period here and in their approach to game design: They are giving their studios more free reign, but the calculating, businessman hand pointing out bulletin points is still noticeable. Gears Tactics is a good example for that.

On the PC space will have: "normal" performance vs. ray tracing performance, native vs. reconstructed resolution, different reconstruction techniques. Add CPUs to the mix. It will be hell.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Eh, all this talk about Max Payne 3 lead me to install the first, to replay it and hopefully play 2-3 for the first time.
The French Steam version is a doozy to install, need to fan patch the sound and replace corrupted level files.

It will totally go as planned, will it :thinking-blob:
Ok, the solution set the game in English, without subs.
Uh :so-good-blob:

• Toucan
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
All those games will be out in the next 2-3 years. And don't forget there are still 5 other MS studios that didn't announce their games yet. Including the Coalition and Initiative. So you can basically add Gears 6 and a rumored Perfect Dark to that image along with other 1st party titles.

All those games coming to steam too even on a delay if Epic moneyhats something. So if you hate gamepass you will be able to buy all the games individually on both console and pc.

And if you hate both consoles and PC...then just stream the stuff via Xcloud. MS is doing the right thing. Give people options on how and where you want to play it.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Let's see.. roughly $2000 worth of video games for the price of $5 subscription. But it's totally a scam, isn't it? :evilblob:
If there is one critique i have with game pass
It is that it could condition one to avoid buying games and just wait for as long as they want for it to show up on Game Pass
Meaning if a dev or pub doesnt get into game pass they risk losing lots of sales on at least the xbox eco system because consumers would rather save their money and wait instead of buying a game

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I still don't understand how Hellblade 2 is a thing.
It kills any meaning the original game had and any sort of personal growth and development the character had throughout the her story arc. I also can't understand how you can move forward after that ending...
I guess all's fair when it comes to serialization and pumping out sequels.

Reactions: Tomasety and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
It is that it could condition one to avoid buying games and just wait for as long as they want for it to show up on Game Pass
Meaning if a dev or pub doesnt get into game pass they risk losing lots of sales on at least the xbox eco system because consumers would rather save their money and wait instead of buying a game
I thought the same. But Halo MCC, Sea of Thieves and even carrion could be indications that people like owning games and are willing to buy despite something being on game pass. Independent of release time.

Now if game pass and that Xbox live thing get merged and it becomes quasi mandatory on Xbox consoles. That could change, I see your point there.

Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I thought the same. But Halo MCC, Sea of Thieves and even carrion could be indications that people like owning games and are willing to buy despite something being on game pass. Independent of release time.

Now if game pass and that Xbox live thing get merged and it becomes quasi mandatory on Xbox consoles. That could change, I see your point there.
That is me actually. And I seldom use game pass because I will never play my owned games if I do so.

Meanwhile, I don't oppose people who use game pass. It is a service with incredible value and Microsoft deserves credit for that.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
As ISee mentioned above, we have some proofs already that on top of being on Game Pass, games can still thrive as well as sold copies. My only critique of Game Pass is everything related to Microsoft/Xbox App. Virtually almost every XBox game on PC thread in Era has evolved into troubleshooting centers.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Honestly, it's not too different from waiting for a big sale on PC. Which is something that I certainly do, like probably a lot of other people.
Except with GP, the dev still receives a check upfront, I play their game day one (very relevant for the ones reliant on internet interactions)... and well, the big difference with Microsoft's model right now is that all those games still get released on multiple platforms anyway, so it doesn't change anything for those who don't want GP.
Giving actual options instead of temporary exclusivity is a huge, huge difference from all the bullshit that most are partaking in.

Edit: and like Monooboe I bought Bloodstained on Steam, that's an Igavania, about my favorite franchise, and I know that I will replay it many times like the others.
I wouldn't have bought Ori 2 anytime soon as I didn't like the first. Glad that I played it, not sure it deserves another playthrough, quite happy in the end.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Yeah, Carrion was on #1 on Steams global top seller list for 24 hours straight (maybe 48 hours straight, but don't remember exactly, at least 24 hours).

And that is a smaller 4-6 hour game.

Ori 2 has nearly 31k reviews on Steam, so lots of people bought it.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I still don't understand how Hellblade 2 is a thing.
It kills any meaning the original game had and any sort of personal growth and development the character had throughout the her story arc. I also can't understand how you can move forward after that ending...
I guess all's fair when it comes to serialization and pumping out sequels.
I think it's just there to get people to finish the first game. I just stopped playing Hellblade 1 out of boredom at some point. It's not that it's a terrible game, it just that at some point it felt like I have been playing the same level on a loop for two hours, and it seemed like I was nowhere near the end. And the combat never gets interesting, ever, felt I was fighting the controls more than the lackluster enemies. Graphics alone can't carry a game.
If the sequel looks less anaemic I might bite and see it to the end.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Cool, now Max Payne is in French but the mouse keep crashing some 10-15 minutes a game :sweaty-blob:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Hey fellas, I'm "back", I mean, I never left but I took this weekend to keep playing and relax, so, a few things. first of all, I haven't stopped playing Death Stranding even tho my updates have been way lower than when I started it, let's say I'm at chapter 9 (almost the end of the main story) and I'm still having a blast, seriously, it won't be my GOTY but I'm sure it will be in my top 10 2020, here's a few pictures (no spoilers, don't worry) ^^

Seriously, I will explain myself in a more extended way in DS OTs but I think I can't recommend this game enough, under my own prism this game is potentially the best thing Kojima has done since MGS3 BUT that's just a personal opinion :cat-heart-blob:

Secondly, as you have been talking about MS games on Steam and Gamepass, well, every Sunday the weekly top seller get's updated but yesterday I forgot to upload it here and it's very very interesting. Let's take a look. (I won't count Index cause' you know, revenue based and 1059€/each pack)

So, first things first, this week has been a win for PUBG (which BTW was missing an spot in top 10 for 2 weeks until now) new Battle pass and more people jumping into the game, sure the BR genre isn't going anywhere by the looks of it (although it will go down quite soon once the population settles again)

Death Stranding still strong with a bronze, third place for Kojima's game, it will probably star declining in terms of position from now on but it has been doing massive numbers for sure (I will check data when 1 month mark arrives)

Sea of Thieves and MCC, two MS juggernauts that have been on top seller for 4 weeks (SoT even longer, since release) so yeah, let's say that they are banking well hehe

Carrion Debuts with a cool seventh position, for a little game like Carrion that's massive as, once again, it's based on revenue.

Satisfactory same as SoT, since Steam release it has been jumping and declining but always inside the top 10, I'm curious to see if the fellas from Coffee Stain will give us updated figures :blobeyes:

And as the returning ones, ESO and Divinity OS2

Really cool, right? let's see how this evolves next week ^^

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I hope we'll see seeing HZD climbing back up.
You can totally count with it, pre-orders are NEVER as high as purchases of released products, the game is also coming out next Friday, that means that a lot of people will potential buy it next week in order to have it ready for download and play, we should also have the real CCU by Sunday or even next next week. :blobeyes:

Reactions: ISee

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

I was thinking more in the terms of the Xbox consoles with my post sorry xo
Yeah on steam consumers are more willing to buy it since they trust steam
Also win10 games are anal about where u install them so it can be off putting to anyone whose c drive is not 1 tb or more :v

Over the past few years, consumers became more open to pre ordering or getting games day 1 on pc as we can see from recent steam top sellers so that is healthy on pc, with themed or seasonal sales being beneficial only for certain games more than others

Reactions: ISee

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I remember the "stereotype" that PC gamers only buy stuff when they are on sale, probably a common stereotype these days too, especially among console only players.

Looking the top 10 global seller now, only 4/10 entries are on sale. So there has been a big turnaround.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
I remember the "stereotype" that PC gamers only buy stuff when they are on sale, probably a common stereotype these days too, especially among console only players.

Looking the top 10 global seller now, only 4/10 entries are on sale. So there has been a big turnaround.
I feel like it's true to some extent, but mostly for niche stuff like some JRPGs. A lot of fault lies with publishers for that, though. You can't seriously expect people to pay $60 for a game that's been out in Japan for 3-5 years, on consoles in the West for 1-2, is filled with overpriced DLCs and already looked dated as far as visuals go back when it launched in Japan. With that price tag it's competing with brand new AAA releases. Furthermore, late PC ports of those games rarely pay any attention to other games' release schedule and often launch next to hit titles that are bound to overshadow them. Console launches are usually much smarter about that. PC releases of those games really give off a huge "afterthought" vibes, at least as far as business goes, since port quality is usually at least decent.

Thankfully it's been happening less and less as worldwide and multiplatform releases are getting more and more popular, even for niche titles, and if there's a wait it's usually a short one instead of spanning multiple years and being gradual (Japan -> Asia consoles -> West consoles -> Worldwide PC).

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018

It's true for me, certainly. I don't think I've ever paid the full 50-60 price tag for a game on PC.
But that's partially also because there are so many offers from third party stores that range between 10-20% off, even before launch :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

But yeah, obviously a lot of people just hop on Steam and buy games there without looking elsewhere.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
The more I play Death Stranding, the less I understand the mixed reception on consoles. It's so fucking good! It's No Man's Sky all over again. The trailers showed exactly what the game was but idiots somehow deluded themselves into thinking there had to be more to it that they were keeping secret for no reason whatsoever lol.

Also, I've been sleeping on using photo mode in games. It's pretty fun!

Pictured above: me, seconds before I lost my footing and ate about half a mountain's worth of shit. BB is dead now.

Status
Not open for further replies.