Community MetaSteam | July 2020 - Blood on the Horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Hehe, I'm on that list. That's where all my money goes!

Follow my curator for more great game recommendations!

Waking in a cave, the nameless protagonist climbs a ladder emerging into a world rife with danger. Forever moving rightwards, she will cross dangerous forests infested with ghoul like beings, snow capped mountains, crumbling cities and more.

A 2D side-scrolling puzzle-platformer in the same vein as Limbo, Inside, Planet Alpha and others the female protagonist awakens and while not instructed with a specific quest, she moves out to explore this unfamiliar world. Not as puzzle heavy as Limbo, there are still quite a few mostly involving avoiding the various enemies and obstacles in the game that will kill you in one shot. Stealth and avoiding the gaze of enemies, ducking between cover, also plays a large role in some levels.

The game stuns when it comes to aesthetic and sound. Each level has a completely unique look and design from a dark brown foreboding forest to a burned zone lit almost exclusively by a constant barrage of fire arrows. There are even more unique levels later on that the player should discover on their own. The soundtrack is equally outstanding and an absolute highlight, the OST should probably be sold separately.

Deaths can be cheap at times, and timing quite tight, the only way to avoid it at times is prior knowledge. There are achievements for completing levels without dying but you are very unlikely to get those first time through, knowledge is power in this case.

The game's true goal is always puzzling leaving you at times wanting for more information but also at times just enjoying the view speculating what it’s all about. Stela is an outstanding example of the genre but might leave you with more questions than when you started.

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I feel like it's true to some extent, but mostly for niche stuff like some JRPGs. A lot of fault lies with publishers for that, though. You can't seriously expect people to pay $60 for a game that's been out in Japan for 3-5 years, on consoles in the West for 1-2, is filled with overpriced DLCs and already looked dated as far as visuals go back when it launched in Japan. With that price tag it's competing with brand new AAA releases. Furthermore, late PC ports of those games rarely pay any attention to other games' release schedule and often launch next to hit titles that are bound to overshadow them. Console launches are usually much smarter about that. PC releases of those games really give off a huge "afterthought" vibes, at least as far as business goes, since port quality is usually at least decent.
Koei Tecmo is that you?
Call me ungrateful, but most Koei Tecmo games are not worth 60 bucks.
Like, I would LOVE to get into Romance of the three Kingdoms, but not for 60 bucks, and they never have good impulse-buy sales (except for the Atelier series) ROTK 13 is STILL 60 bucks while the 14th entry was already released half a year ago.

And the thing is: those games will never appear on Gamepass, it is curated as hell with "acceptable indies" and AAA wankfests.

vitormg

Jan 7, 2019
I have AssCreed Origins on Uplay as part of a past Humble Monthly... Just bought the gold edition on Steam during the sales. At least I'll get more content (DLCs), but I feel kind of shamed to have bought the game twice lul

Reactions: ISee and Tomasety

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
That whale has low textures particle effect that ruin screenshot

:jj_mofo:
It's an impressive moment, for real. :cat-heart-blob:

The more I play Death Stranding, the less I understand the mixed reception on consoles. It's so fucking good! It's No Man's Sky all over again. The trailers showed exactly what the game was but idiots somehow deluded themselves into thinking there had to be more to it that they were keeping secret for no reason whatsoever lol.

Also, I've been sleeping on using photo mode in games. It's pretty fun!

Pictured above: me, seconds before I lost my footing and ate about half a mountain's worth of shit. BB is dead now.
Absolutely agree, game is AMAZING! surely in my top 10 of 2020 :blobeyes:

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

YouTube plays a big role in my gaming experience. Whether it's tips & tricks, discovery, or just watching my favorite personalities playing my favorite games. YouTube is always there as a great bonus supplement to the hobby.

Now I've been known to favor niche-ass-niche gaming. Stuff IGN & GameSpot will never cover. But I've always been able to connect with that 'dozens of us!' crowd playing these oddball releases on YouTube. Don't think I've ever come up blank no matter how weird or obscure the release.

Well I guess today is a first.

There is not a single video for the recently released Logistical: Earth on YouTube. Not one!

It's almost impressive.

Game is pretty ace so far. It's like Rise of Industry. Only like a million times larger in scope...and jank. You use various vehicles (land, sea, air) to move goods around to meet production & consumption needs for towns, businesses & industries. Each location on the map can have multiple nodes (business, residential, etc.) with specific needs. Sometimes it can be a single product, other times it's multiple unit types. There's a Contracts system that always provides direction (complete Christchurch, NZ to unlock new vehicle type, do Napier, NZ to get a 10% power buff on all your dump trucks). So while you literally have the world at your fingertips, it doesn't feel overwhelming or aimless.

I think it uses real-time Google Earth imagery so there can be a bit of lag if you move across a country or zoom all the way in (massive zoom scale never gets old). It's not too bad though. Not sure of the production-team size, but it def. has that one-person show kinda vibe to it. It's got that folk-art kind of charm I can always get behind. Rough around the edges, but doing something quite unlike most anything you see out there.

It's a great puzzler with a Zen kinda vibe to it. 50K towns & 160K businesses means there's no shortage of content. Believe I read somewhere that there's thousands of hours worth of content on offer.

Quite an interesting oddity for simulation/logistics fans. I've been playing the Steam demo for hours and it doesn't seem close to ending yet. Prob. pick it up proper tonight.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
For me, it's the distribution method and UWP.
Out of 4 games I played on the service I had issues with 3 of them which either wouldn't have happened with a Steam release or would have been easy to fix as a user.
it's definitely better now, at the start games wouldn't download or patching would fail. It also would fail if you installed on different drives. The only issue I have now is I can't install or uninstall Wasteland Remastered, I'm just stuck with an icon.

Reactions: ISee

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
For me, it's the distribution method and UWP.
Out of 4 games I played on the service I had issues with 3 of them which either wouldn't have happened with a Steam release or would have been easy to fix as a user.
Same here. Especially the encryption of all game files (and thereby blocking most perks of pc gaming like modding, advanced tweaking, user content etc) prevents me from using Game Pass.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Anyone getting Grounded tommorrow?
Maybe! I adore the theme, both from a Honey I Shrunk The Kids & macro world perspective, and from a “hey I’ve seen this tiny bug before and now it’s in the game!” perspective.

Reactions: ISee

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Absolutely agree, game is AMAZING! surely in my top 10 of 2020 :blobeyes:
Hell, it might actually be the best game I've played this year, period. And while I've only played like three other games so far, one of them was Witcher 3. It's kind of apples to oranges but that's how much I'm enjoying it.

I stick to shorter play sessions for Death Stranding (shorter compared to Witcher 3, at least) so I'm not gonna lose entire days in it like I did in Witcher 3. But in building an entire game around fetch quests and what would be considered downtime in other games, Kojima somehow created an experience with essentially no downtime whatsoever. I spent like an hour climbing a steep mountain earlier, constantly reloading because I kept eating shit and damaging my cargo (I may have chosen my path poorly...), and it was the most fun I've had with a game in ages.

Reactions: LEANIJA and Swenhir

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
The more I play Death Stranding, the less I understand the mixed reception on consoles.
Regardless of the quality of the thing, most console gamers effectively don’t go for gameplay you can’t sum up in a sentence fragment.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Same here. Especially the encryption of all game files (and thereby blocking most perks of pc gaming like modding, advanced tweaking, user content etc) prevents me from using Game Pass.
I feel the same way. User control is something I care deeply about and this rips it straight out of our hands. That, and I don't want to encourage subscriptions over ownership as it disagrees with me anyway.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I get why people are concerned about the ownership aspect of gamepass but the way I see it the same as with netflix and spotify, they don't replace ownership but just complement it. I guess that is also why I accept not being able to mod and such, because I see it as a rental and if I really want to mess around with the game I buy it.

And someone who doesn't have alot of money I mostly use gamepass to play games that I otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I spent way to much fucking time playing Enter The Gungeon and watching Adventure Time during the down time I had this past weekend. I did play a bit of Horizon Zero Dawn DLC, ClusterTruck, Halo 3 and Outer worlds.

Can get past 3rd level of ETG's dungeon. I'm unlocking weapons, shops and items at a good clip but I'm just hitting the wall. Might have to uninstall it and come back to it in a week.

I get why people are concerned about the ownership aspect of gamepass but the way I see it the same as with netflix and spotify, they don't replace ownership but just complement it. I guess that is also why I accept not being able to mod and such, because I see it as a rental and if I really want to mess around with the game I buy it.

And someone who doesn't have alot of money I mostly use gamepass to play games that I otherwise wouldn't be able to.
Gamepass is amazing and its got me feeling something about eventually jumping on x clould with a thin client device to save space and power in the future. Already replaced ownship for me in some ways.

NON GAMING CONTENT BELOW

Just a general PSA, don't hike in muddy and rocky place IF you don't have hiking boots that still have tread on them. I wore my old boots on a hike sat morning, nearly bought it stepping down from a large bolder. Caught myself falling back with one hand. Wrist still sore, right leg minor muscle pull and slight re-aggravation of an old knee injury (had it since I was 24, so 8 years), upper back muscle on left side still sore. I'll heal up and be back to activity soon and I'm ultra lucky for it. Be careful people, even if your fleet footed and have great balance/stamina, no one is invincible and nature doesn't play.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

We don't know it won't replace. Not only do I not care for it, I'm careful not to encourage it. Enough of computing is moving into AnythingAAS already to scare me as it is :).

Just a general PSA, don't hike in muddy and rocky place IF you don't have hiking boots that still have tread on them. I wore my old boots on a hike sat morning, nearly bought it stepping down from a large bolder. Caught myself falling back with one hand. Wrist still sore, right leg minor muscle pull and slight re-aggravation of an old knee injury (had it since I was 24, so 8 years), upper back muscle on left side still sore. I'll heal up and be back to activity soon and I'm ultra lucky for it. Be careful people, even if your fleet footed and have great balance/stamina, no one is invincible and nature doesn't play.
I'm glad you didn't get too injured but this sounds like every waking nightmare I have about going down steep and dangerous slopes. Glad you're okay!

Edit :

Sheer 1-200-m drop beyond what passes as a railing with slippery scree.

Last edited:

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Regardless of the quality of the thing, most console gamers effectively don’t go for gameplay you can’t sum up in a sentence fragment.
Yeah, I try to stay away from platform warring nonsense and avoid reductive generalizations, but in this particular case I'm really struggling to think of an explanation that's not unflattering to console players. It's why I find it so baffling. I mean, surely it's not just the lack of shootbang gameplay that made people dislike this?

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
We don't know it won't replace. Not only do I not care for it, I'm careful not to encourage it. Enough of computing is moving into AnythingAAS already to scare me as it is :).

I'm glad you didn't get too injured but this sounds like every waking nightmare I have about going down steep and dangerous slopes. Glad you're okay!
My issue is that I didn't have nightmares about this, so I just put it out of my mind that it was a possibility. I haven't fallen on a hike in years and years. So naturally, I figured I could get away with it. The sneaky thing is that this wasn't a slop, it was literally just a path that had a large boulder, mostly sunken into the ground that a couple steps to get on top and a couple on the way down.

Reactions: Swenhir

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

YouTube plays a big role in my gaming experience. Whether it's tips & tricks, discovery, or just watching my favorite personalities playing my favorite games. YouTube is always there as a great bonus supplement to the hobby.

Now I've been known to favor niche-ass-niche gaming. Stuff IGN & GameSpot will never cover. But I've always been able to connect with that 'dozens of us!' crowd playing these oddball releases on YouTube. Don't think I've ever come up blank no matter how weird or obscure the release.

Well I guess today is a first.

There is not a single video for the recently released Logistical: Earth on YouTube. Not one!

It's almost impressive.
I know the feeling. But it never happened to me with a newly released game. Most often I search for an old game, like from the 90's
Akte Europa or Achtung! Spitfire. Or a Modpack for an old game, like Open General.
There are sporadic single videos of them, but never a let's play.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'm sure i've seen a youtuber video for Logistical a few weeks ago. No idea who it was or why it popped up in my list but it's how i know it's not the game for me but i'm glad it exists.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Just fought a giant god-like enemy while riding a heavy yet nimble mech.

It's so anime it's so good lol.

There's more mech missions to come in the future, in episode 4 there's a certain urgent quest that also uses that mech (the very first episode 4 boss urgent quest, most likely coming out during August), I'm not gonna spoil what the fight is about, but it's really absurd (in a good way).

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Damn, Fall Guys is the PS+ freebie for August, jealous!

Is there PC/PS4 crossplay? Should help it keep a lively playerbase

Reactions: PC-tan

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
What YouTube channels do you recommend?
I have no time for screamers, opting instead for chill, laid-back streamers.

Indie (discovery):

Strat/Sim (tips & tricks):

Long-form critique (appreciation):

Quick-shot faves include Tomato, quill18, Mandalore

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Grounded looks like a good gamepass game at launch and buy later down the line when its complete on steam. The theme is very funny and looks like a fun game. Its basically The Forest only with insects instead of cannibals lol. Obsidian is promising a mysterious story for it too so hopefully it turns out to be good.

With Grounded, Flight Simulator and Wasteland 3 coming soon...its actually a good time to resub to gamepass 😏

Reactions: Cacher and ISee

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Damn, Fall Guys is the PS+ freebie for August, jealous!

Is there PC/PS4 crossplay? Should help it keep a lively playerbase
I get the feeling that Fall Guys is going to be huge on Steam and PS4. Similar to Rocket League but not quite as successfull.

Game totally looks fun and it reminds me of that japanese TV show Takeshi's Castle which i loved as a kid.

Reactions: Cacher and Tomasety

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
What YouTube channels do you recommend?
I did this post 2 years ago:

Quill18 is good for 4X, normal Strategy and Simulations quill18 (Sadly, he does normal let's plays less and less and concentrates on Twitch)
Skystorme is good for City-builders, Simulation, 4X, RPG and Strategy: Skye Storme (still active)
Briarstoned is good for RPG's and 4X Briarstone Gaming (inactive since half a year)
TheXPGamers is good for Spacethemed Simulation and 4X games TheXPGamers (most games are heavily modded. still active)
Leyllin2 is good for Strategy, 4X Lyellin2 (still active)
Echo Six is good for JRPG's and mainstream Visual Novels Echo Six (still active)
Northernlion, he is good for 4X, RPG's, Strategy, City Builders and Co-Op shooters. Oh, and he did 4000 FOUR thousand Binding of Isaac Videos. Northernlion (still active)
[German] AldemarHD is good for Strategy, Survival, 4X, Early Access AldemarHD (still active)
Arumba is good for Grand Strategy also with Multiplayer Arumba (inactive since 2 months ago)
Rhadamant is good for 4x, Strategy and Grand Strategy Rhadamant (still active)
Rinimt is good for JRPG and Nintendo rinimt (still active)

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Grounded looks like a good gamepass game at launch and buy later down the line when its complete on steam.
My problem with this is that if there isn't any crossave between gamepass/winstore and Steam, that would mean I would have to start from scratch on Steam if I played it via game pass.

+ the lack of playtime tracking on game pass (only certain games support it on Xbox app, don't know if Grounded will).

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
That Eiyuden Chronicle kickstarter should be funded by the end of the day if the momentum keeps up. They are over $350k as I type this.

That battle snippet looks gorgeous. They committed to using SPRITES! Sprites! My god. I haven't heard of someone talking about sprites in years.

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't think I knew this, but apparently Valve is the only platform holder that doesn't charge the devs to generate keys. As in, I knew Valve didn't charge devs/pubs to generate keys, but I thought some of the other platform holders didn't as well.

Good stuff on Valve. Getting charged for generating keys for your backers on consoles must suck hard for indie devs.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I don't think I knew this, but apparently Valve is the only platform holder that doesn't charge the devs to generate keys. As in, I knew Valve didn't charge devs/pubs to generate keys, but I thought some of the other platform holders didn't as well.

Good stuff on Valve. Getting charged for generating keys for your backers on consoles must suck hard for indie devs.
I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be false, but I'm pretty sure I recall EGS not charging for keys as well... 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.