Community MetaSteam | July 2020 - Blood on the Horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I'm really tempted to back Eiyuden.
One thing I dislike (but is similar to most KS projects) is that the team they mention by name includes directors, game designers, artists and composers, but no programmers.

Pillars of Eternity was exceptional in that regard, since it included Tim Cain. To me, it's very reassuring to have a known lead programmer who actually shipped multiple large-scale RPGs.
I mean, are there even notable Japanese programmers, other than Yoshiharu Gotanda?

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
As I wrote in a prior post I meant this more in terms of consoles, on PC the steam top sellers list will always have a non heavily discounted game in its top sellers list.
Plus bundles likely don't get as many new owners of a game as buying it on Steam.

If I hadn't written it yet, this reliance on the big corporations to cover for your games is rather concerning; the consumers won't matter to the dev or pub and just the grant from, for example, Microsoft is what matters. Imagine if in the near future, sales of games in the retail space become low because instead, owners of the XSX just seek out the best discount or price for an annual game pass subscription, furthermore, if a new game releases on the XSX, it would lose sales because consumers will hold off for getting into Game Pass.
In fact, when SEGA's Yakuza series debuted on Xbox brand...they were included as part of Game Pass; Game Pass will become the main motivation for relasing on the XSX platform at least.

I apologize if my post comes off negative on the Game Pass esp. with its focus on MS; it is indeed good value for the consumer and great for savings, however, it makes pubs and devs decide to publish their game on the XSX platform only if they can be part of Game Pass, otherwise, they'll hold off or ignore the platform to avoid possible losses.
...and with how PSN and Switch owners view non 1st or 3rd party games on those respective shops, is it any wonder they would want a guaranteed handout?
Oh, I agree.
But thing is, the two points are much a contradiction: yup, devs (well, publishers) already consider viability based on deals with Microsoft, EGS, etc. Not so much on consumers. Same for mobile games, they prey on addicts and whales, don't care one bit if they have 50 players total as long as they make millions.

On the other hand... games sell amazingly well on Steam (and elsewhere). A lot full price!
And some devs say that GP helps them with sales (not always on Xbox platforms, even). Dunno if I believe that, but eh.

So... I don't care at all about the publishers that only see products to be sold to big corporations looking for market share, players be damned.
That will do absolutely nothing to my indies (and even smaller, the ones that make free games), be it on Steam or looking for cash on their own. I'll be here, still ready to spend.

If the entire industry collapses like in 83, that just means publishers, copycats in it for the money, and brands dying.
The people working on games are not going anywhere, it will just remove part of the production for a while. Plus that will change nothing for the majority of the world that has absolutely no chance to get their games on GP or EGS.
I already play a lot less Japanese game since mobile took off, I don't mind one bit scrapping all Western publishers if it becomes the same crap tailored to please corporate leaders rather than customers.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Came back from the repair shop around the corner for the dead Ipad.
Refused to repair it, they would need to take away the screen and they don't want to take the risk.

That's an awfully expected ending.
It worked a little more than 2 years (how fucking convenient), and is now a 700+ euros paperweight.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
One thing I dislike (but is similar to most KS projects) is that the team they mention by name includes directors, game designers, artists and composers, but no programmers.
This reminds me of another big JRPG kickstarter but it's name escapes me here...

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Instead of excluding only Belgium and Netherlands, the PSO2 package has been updated with a list of available countries.

This package is only purchasable in specified countries

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, Great Britain, United States

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
It worked a little more than 2 years (how fucking convenient), and is now a 700+ euros paperweight.
Paying 700 € for only 2 years of usage of a product is a waste of money. You should boycott Apple from now on imo.

No problem, we will take care of your device, you will just have to put your bank info for us to block the repair amount.
Ok :sweaty-blob:
open the mail
Amount is 491 euros
You cannot even have it repaired for less than 491 €, so 70% of the original price, which is another reason to boycott this brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan and Li Kao

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Instead of excluding only Belgium and Netherlands, the PSO2 package has been updated with a list of available countries.

Yeah, it's not available for me lol. I wonder what's the reasoning here, it's almost like random. There's Singapore but it's the only SEA country on that list. There's also India, the only South Asian country.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Paying 700 € for only 2 years of usage of a product is a waste of money. You should boycott Apple from now on imo.

You cannot even have it repaired for less than 491 €, so 70% of the original price, which is another reason to boycott this brand.
To be fair, pretty sure apple things last and retain their value alot longer than any other brand when it comes to things like that. Like aren't PC laptops notorious for falling apart like directly after reviews are out?

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Like aren't PC laptops notorious for falling apart like directly after reviews are out?
I don't know about that.

I have two Dell laptops, from 2007 and 2010 and they are still working today. Only the batteries are dead.
As for actual keys of the keyboard or the state of the laptop screens, they are all fine.

The laptop from 2007 is too slow these days because requirements for Windows grow over years, and the hard-drive disk merely offers 70 GB of space.
However, I upgraded the RAM (from 2 GB to 4 GB) of the other laptop, and I use it every day.

I know a few people who had to replace their recent iPhones. So I am not too confident that an Apple laptop bought 10 to 13 years ago would be usable today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Agent

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019

Oh believe me, if I buy a smartphone it won't be an Apple product.
Tablets are trickier though, you can't say there is a lot of concurrence on the market and the Samsung ones aren't exactly cheap.

I'm really torn here. Like I already alluded to some months ago, I kinda hate this digital everything world where whatever I may want to do, there is a big chance it involves using a tablet. And I hate the gut of Apple new multi screen UX with a passion. And yeah, I really appreciate my product dying so soon and the help offered by Apple.
But at the end of the day, a tablet is a fucking nice product when you want to read comic books or pdf, for example.

There was a tablet here. Now there is nothing
gloomy background music

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018

Pillars of Eternity was exceptional in that regard, since it included Tim Cain. To me, it's very reassuring to have a known lead programmer who actually shipped multiple large-scale RPGs.
They have mentioned they are working with Coyote Runner. Who at least can say they have shipped several games. They apparently did work on several mobile games, along with a Puzzle and Dragons 3DS game, and Oninaki for Square Enix/Tokyo RPG Factory.

So they have at least worked on RPGs before. I dunno if I am excited about following the footsteps of Oninaki, but hey it was a game that came out.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I mean, are there even notable Japanese programmers, other than Yoshiharu Gotanda?
I don't think they need to be notable as in "WOW THAT GUY!!".
It's not like I know any of the people they list right now ;)
If they had someone there who e.g. was lead programmer or technical director on e.g. Suikoden V (or any other JRPG of that scale) I'd be more than satisfied with that.

Also, Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto created my favourite scripting language :p

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
By the way, again with the what if I bought post :tightly-closed-eyes:, what do you people think about the new Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro as a smartphone ?
It can be bought for 250 euros, has good reviews. It will surely be adequate for casual browsing and gachas, I hope, but this don't solve the comic and pdf thing, I'm afraid.

(yeah, a little too OT here, but also OT in the PC hardware thread, and I don't want to make a thread for that)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
By the way, again with the what if I bought post :tightly-closed-eyes:, what do you people think about the new Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro as a smartphone ?
It can be bought for 250 euros, has good reviews. It will surely be adequate for casual browsing and gachas, I hope, but this don't solve the comic and pdf thing, I'm afraid.

(yeah, a little too OT here, but also OT in the PC hardware thread, and I don't want to make a thread for that)
Just make sure it has the original ROM. For some dumb reason my company was replacing it for a custom one, fucking up the phone in the process. That’s why I have an iPhone instead :sweeneyfence:

Reactions: Li Kao

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

I always read comics on my phone, I have zero problem (it's 6.4").

Xiaomi phones are good for their price/performance.

Reactions: Li Kao

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Yeah, it's not available for me lol. I wonder what's the reasoning here, it's almost like random. There's Singapore but it's the only SEA country on that list. There's also India, the only South Asian country.
I guess the updated list of allowed countries is because of this?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I don't know about that.

I have two Dell laptops, from 2007 and 2010 and they are still working today. Only the batteries are dead.
As for actual keys of the keyboard or the state of the laptop screens, they are all fine.

The laptop from 2007 is too slow these days because requirements for Windows grow over years, and the hard-drive disk merely offers 70 GB of space.
However, I upgraded the RAM (from 2 GB to 4 GB) of the other laptop, and I use it every day.

I know a few people who had to replace their recent iPhones. So I am not too confident that an Apple laptop bought 10 to 13 years ago would be usable today.
Sure you are probably right about older laptops being able to keep going, but the same is about older macbooks, they are built like tanks. Sure I might have apple fanboy tendencies haha but when I was about to buy a new laptop a few years ago I did lots research and came down to a dell and a macbook but there were bunch of problems with the dells from reading online and their warranty being abysmal so for that reason alone I went with apple because they are good with have long support for actual defects in hardware and easy to deal with warranty, like I bought the macbook in Finland from Swedish Apple and got it fixed in Paris!:D

Oh believe me, if I buy a smartphone it won't be an Apple product.
When it comes to phones thats where apple are the strongest, with good support for older phones and such.

Take a look at the Oneplus Nord, sure its a bit more expensive at 400€ but its a fantastic phone for the price, with good screen, great battery and the OS is pretty much the best when it comes to android.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
It seems that the European way is living in Germany and smuggling chocolate from Belgium.
Nah... German food and beer aren't very good imo, and several games are censored in Germany. The Germans do have some great theme parks tho 😉
Take a look at the Oneplus Nord, sure its a bit more expensive at 400€ but its a fantastic phone for the price, with good screen, great battery and the OS is pretty much the best when it comes to android.
Be sure not to bend the Oneplus Nord 😕

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
If I want the vanilla android experience, can I modify a phone to have it somehow ? Or am I glued to the modified os of the company that make the phone ?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
If I want the vanilla android experience, can I modify a phone to have it somehow ? Or am I glued to the modified os of the company that make the phone ?
Motorola doesn't add a shell on top IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.