Community MetaSteam | July 2020 - Blood on the Horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
What are the pros of using linux for a casual user ? More elegant UI ? Faster ? Other things ?
I suppose it depends on what you mean by casual.

• Multi-tasking. Workspaces (virtual desktops) have been a staple of Linux environments for a long time, and I find it's much better integrated here. Automatic window tiling is a really nice too.
  • Consumes less hardware resources. In general you'll find that Linux is more efficient for desktop use. A lot of people give their aging laptops new life when they replace Windows.
  • Snappier. I find most Linux desktop environments to be a lot faster and more responsive. When you close or kill a program it goes away instantly.
  • Software installation. If you know what you're looking for and it's available in your package manager installing software is a breeze. You don't have to go to a website to download the installer.
  • Desktop UI. Not only do you have a large variety of stock desktop environments to choose from, but you can customize everything. See below for some examples.
  • Updates and stability. Windows updates are a nightmare. The frequency of updates will depend on your distro, but they're a lot more pleasant to deal with. You don't have to manage individual software updates either. You rarely need to restart, in fact you could probably keep a system running for years.
  • Security and privacy. Linux is a lot more secure by nature, and most distros don't collect data.

Those are just a few things that came to mind. I really enjoy it because the user is ultimately at the forefront of everything.

I also would mention that a lot of things can't be achieved on Linux, especially when it comes to creating a slick UI experience. Maybe it's just my incompetence but I was never able to get a desktop that looked as nice as Win 7, let alone something running Quartz like MacOS.

Linux has a ton of freedom and it's miles ahead in file management features but it's a far cry from selling that user-facing "dream" that OSs were all about at first.
I'd argue that Linux desktop environments are the most slick, though sometimes it take a little customization to get there.

A macOS Big Sur inspired GNOME. This looks like nothing more than stock GNOME, the DashtoDock extension, and maybe another one for transparency.

These next few are more heavily customized.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'd argue that data shows that it doesn't scale well beyond 16 threads.
Yeah, that's my take as well. Which is just as well, as it means my 8-core (16 logical core) Ryzen-3700X should be utilized quite nicely.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
American Truck Sim: Idaho is now available. They added it to the Oregon/Washington bundle, which is a pleasant surprise. I'll be picking it up.

SCS publisher sale
Also, there was a recent new bundle for the American Truck Franchise released a few days ago which contained Idaho, so if you own all but Idaho you can get it cheaper Save 60% on Pacific Northwest on Steam.
Nvm, didn't check Nabs bundle, thought it was different, its just the same. Sorry for the double post.

Reason: fixed typos and more
Reactions: lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I'd argue that Linux desktop environments are the most slick, though sometimes it take a little customization to get there.

A macOS Big Sur inspired GNOME. This looks like nothing more than stock GNOME, the DashtoDock extension, and maybe another one for transparency.

These next few are more heavily customized.

While I agree with you overall, a casual user who is switching from Windows for the first time is not going get an out of the box UI that isn't say LXDE or Cinnamon that is the same feel and layout as the win7/10 UI without a bit of work. Their are guides, but it is different at first and will take some getting used to

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I may not have bought the latest sao game but i bought more sao light novels.

:coffee-blob:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I think it's best for my mental health that Cavill is not here posting or lurking.

I would just think "Is this post good enough for Henry Cavill?" before publishing each post.

So I don't think I will ever post here again if Cavill is here.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Finished up Dragon Age Inquisition the other day. I tried playing the game several times over the years via EA Access but I just couldn't get past the intro areas but now with all the DLC for only 20$ on steam I picked it up. Took me 61 hours to get through the story and all the dlc. Well almost all the dlc..I think I just had the one remaining dragon fight at the end of the Hakkon dlc but I am too exhausted for it. And in no way did I 100% all the regular base game content either. There was still a lot of fetch quests there but I think I got more than enough out of it all to enjoy my time with it.

A very good BioWare game but nowhere near their best. The story and villain were too boring tbh. That intro area is tough and the game really doesn't become enjoyable until you reach skyhold imo. The characters and DLC was the best content in the game. I played as 2 handed Qunari which was very fun with charging into mobs and doing whirlwind attacks made for a good time with the mmo combat. Loved most of the characters I think Cassandra, Varric and Iron Bull were the highlights. But some of the others were great too.

I kinda want to create another character and playthrough the whole thing again since there were some main quests and activities which involved decisions. But there was just too much filler content in the game so I don't think I will. They really put too much stuff in and grinding for power just isn't all that fun. There was like 2 or 3 very good main story quests and that was about it until the DLC. The DLC was really good despite being very broken. I had a lot of bugs, glitches and crashing in the Descent and Trespasser. I had to restart that long wave mission in the Descent several times because one of my characters kept falling through the ground and switching to him just loop froze my game. Other time my own character fell through the ground and the respawn abyss was blocked by ground textures which also basically forced quit outs. Also a bunch of crashing and blackouts in Trespasser. But despite all the issues the DLC was very good and leaps above the base game.

Overall this game was much better than Andromeda and Anthem. Still nowhere near as good as Origins, KOTOR and ME trilogy. I would give it an 8 out of 10. I would probably give it a 9 if DLC wasn't so buggy. Basically a very good singleplayer mmo. Recommend to anyone who hasn't played it yet and enjoyed other BW titles.

I know people hate BioWare nowadays but when they get it going and put effort into their game they are great with pacing, dialogue stuff and just overall charm. I am excited for the next Dragon Age they have been teasing for years now. Especially after the conclusion of Trespasser. They really do need to fix the animations in the game tho. They felt so outdated even for a 2014 game. And same issues they had with Andromeda later. If they can get the quality on same levels of Witcher 3 then it will be good enough. W3 is an old game now so they shouldn't have too much trouble with getting frostbite characters to not look like stiff mess while turning necks and moving lips for next gen. Also do something more interesting than a "chosen one" story and cut out some of the filler content for the next game pls. Inquisition would have been a better game if they cut the fetch quests by 70-80% or so.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Do you think every PlayStation game will eventually come to PC?
Do you think it will eventually come to PlayStation and PC simultaneously?
I doubt it will ever be simultaneously. Gamepass will force Sony to push PSNow and PC but it won't be that generous.

So I think they will settle on something like:

PS5 release----> 6 months later PSNow release-------> 12 months later native PC release.

That way they will make most $$$ and keep excitement for their ip year round.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
May I pls have your Origins ID for any more Apex players
(I will be looking to an USB headphone/microphone headset NarohDethan BlindRhythm if I have room for it)
Ah no worries! Whenever you're able to, there's no rush at all! I'm sure Naroh and I will be playing Apex for quite some time. Especially after it hits Steam. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I'm just sorry we couldn't help you figure out the problem. :disappointed-face:

• Love
Reactions: lashman

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Great video.

Hey there folks, today we're releasing July's Video Dev Diary: this time on Combat and Action Economy! Action Economy is an important concept to understand if you're looking for efficiency during combat in 5e.

An introduction to combat in Solasta, and the basis of Action Economy with Tactical Myzzrym. Learn how to fight efficiently by using your Action, Bonus Action and Reaction properly within the SRD 5.1 ruleset.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
new steam beta. whoa. can't wait to try it.

Steam Input
  • Added an implementation of Jibb Smart’s Flick Stick. To use bind the right joystick to Flick Stick and the Gyro to Mouse.
For those that don't know, Flick Stick changes how a classic dual analog controller is used. The idea is that right stick has absolute control of the direction you're looking in, and gyro handles aiming. You point, it turns, and if you continue to hold the stick you can adjust where you're facing by moving the stick.

Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
new steam beta. whoa. can't wait to try it.

Steam Input
  • Added an implementation of Jibb Smart’s Flick Stick. To use bind the right joystick to Flick Stick and the Gyro to Mouse.
For those that don't know, Flick Stick changes how a classic dual analog controller is used. The idea is that right stick has absolute control of the direction you're looking in, and gyro handles aiming. You point, it turns, and if you continue to hold the stick you can adjust where you're facing by moving the stick.

I bet it’d feel real weird at first, but it seems like a really neat idea.

Reactions: Nabs

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Having a bit of a weirdly emotional gaming night.

After dreaming about it for years, I've finally got my Dell P1130 21in CRT, my Creative T10 2.0 speakers and my Ps3 all working together properly, with the speakers actually on the sides of the monitor. Its beautiful.

The emotion part? My Dell P1130 is my last CRT. From 2006 to 2018, I always had a CRT in my gaming setup. Xbox 360, PS3, PC gaming, it was all good.

Due to a death in my immediate family, my mom is moving and I took back this CRT I had in storage there. On Saturday morning it is going to a new home for a couple of bucks, as I've got no space for it. (like 20 bucks lol) With the resurgence of popularity of CRTs and the fact that even these "young" ones (mine has a DOB of 2003) are close to 20 years old, I'll never own another. End of an era, straight up.

Everything comes to an end at some point.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I bet it’d feel real weird at first, but it seems like a really neat idea.
Yes, it's going to take some time to get used to. I expect more updates from Valve's side, and also some feedback from Jibb himself. Should be really good in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.