Community MetaSteam | July 2023 - This one will turn you into a furry

Status
Not open for further replies.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Gacha might not exactly be the more thrilling mechanic (except if you're a gambling addict, then don't play the things, EVER), but it has the huge, huge advantage of making the games fully F2P.
For good ones anyway.

We can take an example just this week, Exoprimal would feel a lot less like gutter trash if it was a gacha for mechs and weapons skins or whatever, and didn't come with a 60 bucks price tag, along the battle pass, boosts and cosmetics...

:thinking-face:
It has lootboxes too! Just to really rub it in. 😂

However, it somehow grabbed me haha. Played a bunch yesterday (on XGP, didnt pay for it obviously), and its some dumb fun. Wouldnt pay for it, but since its basically a hero shooter at its core I can get some enjoyment out of it as an Overwatch retiree.

Reactions: Cacher

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
But then people would play those far superior versions rather than pouring their time and money into their latest game.
Not at launch, mind you. After they shut the servers down.
Thinking of games like Dragalia Lost or Princess Connect.
EDIT: Ah, you mean, instead of current gacha?
You're seriously understating the gambling addiction people have Durante . Remove gacha from a gacha and most of them wouldn't touch it.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
We can take an example just this week, Exoprimal would feel a lot less like gutter trash if it was a gacha for mechs and weapons skins or whatever, and didn't come with a 60 bucks price tag, along the battle pass, boosts and cosmetics...
I completely disagree with gacha for mechs. Skins is one thing, but anything playable should stay away from gacha, imo.
Though I do agree that it shouldn't have been a $60 game.

It has lootboxes too! Just to really rub it in. 😂

However, it somehow grabbed me haha. Played a bunch yesterday (on XGP, didnt pay for it obviously), and its some dumb fun. Wouldnt pay for it, but since its basically a hero shooter at its core I can get some enjoyment out of it as an Overwatch retiree.
They're not paid lootboxes though, I think.

I'm enjoying the game as well, though I feel that its biggest problems are the way progression works and that it's not very clear when new maps are added to the matchmaking pool, which results in many feeling that the game doesn't have anything more to offer in the early hours.

Reactions: hersheyfan

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
I don't think there's any precedent for a gacha that released everything as offline a few years after it shut down or something, like you require very specific circumstances

• it must have been profitable at some point -> no point in re-releasing the game as offline for a last cash flow if the game wasn't successful in the first place, which isn't what happens with 90% of the gacha that got shut down. In some cases the companies themselves go bankrupt, the current games that could even think about this are games like FGO, Genshin, Honkai, Azur Lane, Girls Frontline, etc. etc.
  • If something is not profitable anymore most companies will just wonder why they should throw more good money after bad in order to release an "offline" version since they have no precedent of something similar happening and having a new significant cash flow from that
  • some companies WILL be afraid of cannibalization if they're launching an offline versione BEFORE the a new gacha is out

Any actor that proceeds to release an offline version is someone that just doesn't care about those points and just wants to do it and I don't think that there are many.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I don't think there's any precedent for a gacha that released everything as offline a few years after it shut down or something

Don't think they've announced how unlocking characters will work, I assume it'll have some sort of offline version of the gacha with in-game currency? Dunno.
It's also not going to keep collaboration characters and stages.

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
that's nice I wasn't aware of it

but you still need either a big company willing to probably burn cash or a successful game which naturally declined and willing to take a risk, also was the release successful?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
that's nice I wasn't aware of it

but you still need either a big company willing to probably burn cash or a successful game which naturally declined and willing to take a risk, also was the release successful?
Released in March 2020 and is gonna be shutdown in a couple months, seems like it had 8 million downloads by early 2022, but dunno anything else about its success.

Last edited:

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Started my new PC build today. Going well until I went to install the NVMe drive and there is nothing except a screw in the clam shell packaging.
Refunded no questions asked which makes me think maybe its more common than I thought.

• Sweating
Reactions: C-Dub and BO7AMMOOD

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Getting a little irritated with JA3

• no trading system, just 1 to x tables with one ware that you can buy (a weapon or ammo)
  • so you can't sell weapons or really buy a big number of ammo or weapons
  • everything else is either weapon parts (sometimes gathered from children tricycles or wheelchairs) or med herbs from plants, additionally some bomb and ammo materials
  • NO FUCKING WEAPON MODS, or rather, you create those weapon mods out of thin air, weapon parts, and (a rather tiny selection) of specialized parts like chips or iron bars
  • You don't even need to research or unlock those weapon mods you have all available from the start you just need the mats, completely negating the part where you are happy to find a cool and/or powerful mod, scope, etc.
  • Oh, and you don't get the mods from the weapon back, you cant deequip it and it will vanish when you scrap the weapon for parts.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Now that the deal seems inevitable, thing I'm really bummed about is how poorly regulators argued against it, and what that signals for the state of the industry today, not the hypothetical maybe cloud dominated future or laughable MS monopoly future scenario that they came up with. Today.

Not only did they show a complete lack of understanding of the industry, they really fumbled arguing through the point of view of the consumer:
  1. How do aggressive exclusivity deals across all platforms harm customers?
  2. The small choice of platform and IP holders make it so that they can pretty much soft-collude with big third parties to raise the retail price of games across the board, despite all sorts of additives they've come up with over the years to keep pricing frozen: everything from battle passes, to $20+ cosmetics, all sized DLCs and, always online requirements and subscriptions in full priced games.
  3. Platform holders raising hardware prices mid-gen as well, once the game catalogue is more established and desirability has increased, raising the barrier of entry, or basically trying to upsell holdouts thus creating big fomo for the new mid-gen cycle (pro versions, etc.) to push for early adoption, lest you are priced out of it.

Of course, acknowledging that some or all of these are problems meant that not only do you have to challenge the acquisition, you have to argue in the first place that the overwhelming market leader ie. Sony, is already partaking in all of these, and how could you do that when all your talking points come from the theory that they are the ones being harmed, and not consumers.

Even things like "free tiers" or low barrier of entry services are incentivized to gouge customers piece meal to committed spending beyond what a full price game would cost. Another avenue to scrutinize the effect of F2P, lootboxes, and subscriptions in a future where gamepass gets stronger was right there, how tiered services like PS+ are being restructured, or paid for content like Destiny expansions is being wholesale taken off people's hands, and if any of that could be cause for concern?

But of course, that would require taking a serious look at current business practices, which might fall outside of this deal. Just another marker of how asleep at the wheel regulators have been all along, and how unlikely it is to get better.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Nintendo rules them all, for everything else PC where Steam is the leader and usually the most interesting games aren't even allowed on Valve's platform.
People should expect many Activision IPs be on fridge for decades and relaese one or two non-CoD titles time to time, this and a huge restructuring of the workforce where many employees will lose their jobs to save costs.

Last edited:
  • Blobxorcism
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD and inky

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Nintendo rules them all, for everything else PC where Steam is the leader and usually the most interesting games aren't even allowed on Valve's platform.
People should expect many Activision IPs be on fridge for decades and relaese one or two non-CoD titles time to time, this and a huge restructuring of the workforce where many employees will lose their jobs to save costs.
That's right, they didn't even touch on any possible labour issues!

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
If Xbox does any major restructuring then Phil needs to create a platforming division with Toys for Bob, Rare and Double Fine.

Put them all to work on new 3D and 2D platformers. Try and carve out a quality Nintendo like group. Put out like 1-2 platformers per year.

Yea those games are likely to flop but you always have Gamepass to fall back on and its not like the budgets would be super high anyways. But I mean it would be a good endeavor and you have the hardest part already done by acquiring all this ip. Once this deal finalizes they will have Banjo, Conker, Crash, Psychonauts and Spyro. I think they have the talent to do something special. At the very least they will be swimming in sevens but its a good chance they could put together some high quality games. If they start bleeding too much $$$ force them to make some trash mobile games to recoup money and then get back to console/pc side of things.

And if Call of Duty devs needs support team just send 343 their way. Halo needs to go on a long hiatus anyways.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Playing Prince of Persia Warrior Within and Jedi Survivor at the same time is really stupid idea XD I love PoP games but damn they kinda aged badly. And that is mostly due to annoying camera controls and some bad combat design decisions that can lead to so much frustration (I forgot how much combat there is in PoP WW). And then there is Jedi Survivor where platforming is so smooth that it is joy to play. And in combat I rarely feel like something wasn't my mistake (in PoP vast majority of mistakes I made are due to the game and not my way of playing).

We really came far from that old PoP era. Going back to those beloved games years after release kinda is double edged sword, because things you loved can look bad comparing it to years of improvements. You really can see that devs used some tricks to make those games look longer and harder than they were.

Reactions: lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Last year there were both with Steam Decks, but I think at that event that there was maybe a total of 4 Steam Decks at the 2022 BitSummit last year. This year it greatly expanded.

One of the things I'm curious is if they do another both at TGS this year. One of the issues with that, is that it would basically be the same thing as last year. The only difference that I can see is see of them doing this year is having more newer titles. A lot of new titles have release since last year. Some of them work pretty great on Steam Deck and others maybe not as much.

One possiblity would be to have other titles that are featured in other booths also available there. But that might prove it's own risk.

Who knows maybe after how popular it was last year, they make it even bigger this year and also have available units to purchase on the spot.

Compared to last year in general Komodo seemed to really want to push more the idea about sharing your experience with the Steam Deck online.
---------

PS. Still confused about the Steam Deck packaging. For most people you get the thing in a brown box with the system inside of the carrying case. How ever some people seem to be getting a white box that says Steam Deck on the front it has a sort of multicolor holographic look to it.

Last edited:
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Last year there were both with Steam Decks, but I think at that event that there was maybe a total of 4 Steam Decks at the 2022 BitSummit last year. This year it greatly expanded.

One of the things I'm curious is if they do another both at TGS this year. One of the issues with that, is that it would basically be the same thing as last year. The only difference that I can see is see of them doing this year is having more newer titles. A lot of new titles have release since last year. Some of them work pretty great on Steam Deck and others maybe not as much.

One possiblity would be to have other titles that are featured in other booths also available there. But that might prove it's own risk.

Who knows maybe after how popular it was last year, they make it even bigger this year and also have available units to purchase on the spot.

Compared to last year in general Komodo seemed to really want to push more the idea about sharing your experience with the Steam Deck online.
---------

PS. Still confused about the Steam Deck packaging. For most people you get the thing in a brown box with the system inside of the carrying case. How ever some people seem to be getting a white box that says Steam Deck on the front it has a sort of multicolor holographic look to it.
This is really great news overall, for real.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Anyone have problems with the Steam overlay recently? It happened to me today that upon opening the overlay, Steam started crashing and then restarting and random UI elements popping up; in the end I had to kill the process and restart Steam; which had then logged me out. Upon restart, the Library showed only "Tools" ticked.

This happened twice with different games (once in offline mode, once in online mode). Then it happened simply upon starting the game. I sent a Support ticket but its really strange. I checked security stuff and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary there (but Im also extremely paranoid regarding account security)

So my guess is it must have been a bug in the Steam Linux Runtime? I havent checked on the Steam Deck yet, only on desktop linux, but wanted to check if anyone else had problems. In case its indeed Linux-specific, I know Gamall Wednesday Ida plays on Linux as well – did you notice anything?

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Playing Prince of Persia Warrior Within and Jedi Survivor at the same time is really stupid idea XD I love PoP games but damn they kinda aged badly. And that is mostly due to annoying camera controls and some bad combat design decisions that can lead to so much frustration (I forgot how much combat there is in PoP WW). And then there is Jedi Survivor where platforming is so smooth that it is joy to play. And in combat I rarely feel like something wasn't my mistake (in PoP vast majority of mistakes I made are due to the game and not my way of playing).

We really came far from that old PoP era. Going back to those beloved games years after release kinda is double edged sword, because things you loved can look bad comparing it to years of improvements. You really can see that devs used some tricks to make those games look longer and harder than they were.
What is this mystical version of Jedi Survivor you're playing where the platforming is smooth? The platforming in JS for me is by far and away the worst part - it eats inputs constantly, the camera will just randomly spin and point at something on the other side of the building I'm trying to wall run on, hit boxes are inconsistent at best (I've ended up being too high for the ledge grab hitbox but too low for it to have my feet land on it so it just has me fall instead). Some of the jumps seem near pixel-perfect where I have to be running and jump at exactly the right part of the area to even have a shot at making it and still have to try 3-4 times, and those aren't like... challenge areas, those are just normal moving around things.

The ramp slides in the first game were repetitive but they were super consistent, at least. I'd rather have those back than this mess they shoved in. I beat the White Castle in Hollow Knight but the platforming in JS isn't hard, it's just bad. I can see what they were TRYING to do, and that looks fun, but I think I've had one entire section where the platforming went as expected out of over 30 hours?

Edit: I just remembered I had to watch a video for one of the ACTUAL challenge platforming areas because I saw what I thought I was supposed to do, but it didn't work after 10 minutes of trying, watched the video and that was in fact what I was supposed to do, the way I was doing it, it just was constantly not giving me the right height from my double jump. I tried it for a while longer and yea eventually it just worked.

• Toucan

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Big CRPG mood here. But Baldur’s Gate 3 is right around the corner and I don’t think I can play an entire game before that. Shit.
And Jagged Alliance 3 pricing on key sellers keeps rising.
I hate Sundays.
Baldur's Gate 3 is about all I can think about. I need to decide on a character. Maybe Mountain Dwarf Beserker Barbarian with some Tavern Brawler shenanigans

Reactions: Dandy and Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Baldur's Gate 3 is about all I can think about. I need to decide on a character. Maybe Mountain Dwarf Beserker Barbarian with some Tavern Brawler shenanigans
Mmh. The plan has been a plain human warrior for some time. I may be severely handicapping myself compared to a Paladin, but historically I always play Paladins (because of survivability and I'm a goody two shoes anyways). But recently I have been relatively tired of playing religious fanatics.
We will see, it's not like D&D Paladins are automatically fanatics and I may be harsh.
It would be fucking cool if we could play a green knight. I have to check the available sub classes.

edit - well, fuck.
edit2 - looks like it's in, Path of the Ancients is looking like what I have in mind. Memory of PHB is foggy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dandy

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
What is this mystical version of Jedi Survivor you're playing where the platforming is smooth? The platforming in JS for me is by far and away the worst part - it eats inputs constantly, the camera will just randomly spin and point at something on the other side of the building I'm trying to wall run on, hit boxes are inconsistent at best (I've ended up being too high for the ledge grab hitbox but too low for it to have my feet land on it so it just has me fall instead). Some of the jumps seem near pixel-perfect where I have to be running and jump at exactly the right part of the area to even have a shot at making it and still have to try 3-4 times, and those aren't like... challenge areas, those are just normal moving around things.

The ramp slides in the first game were repetitive but they were super consistent, at least. I'd rather have those back than this mess they shoved in. I beat the White Castle in Hollow Knight but the platforming in JS isn't hard, it's just bad. I can see what they were TRYING to do, and that looks fun, but I think I've had one entire section where the platforming went as expected out of over 30 hours?

Edit: I just remembered I had to watch a video for one of the ACTUAL challenge platforming areas because I saw what I thought I was supposed to do, but it didn't work after 10 minutes of trying, watched the video and that was in fact what I was supposed to do, the way I was doing it, it just was constantly not giving me the right height from my double jump. I tried it for a while longer and yea eventually it just worked.
So far I didn't have those issues. Cal did everything I wanted him to do. Every time I missed jump or ledge it was on me. I have no issues chanining jumps, dashes, wall runs... and it feels so satisfying when you do it.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
So far I didn't have those issues. Cal did everything I wanted him to do. Every time I missed jump or ledge it was on me. I have no issues chanining jumps, dashes, wall runs... and it feels so satisfying when you do it.
I guess kind of like performance issues, it is just luck. A quick search shows that a lot of people have the same issues I do (including Cal just deciding to wall run the opposite way I was moving which is super "fun"). It's not like it's session-specific, or even patch specific, as I've played across 2 patches now and usually in 1-2 hours bursts. It's on every planet too so I don't think it's performance based but it could be something tied to that (although I have most of my settings turned down to medium/high to get a stable 40ish fps with my... 4090... sigh)

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I guess kind of like performance issues, it is just luck. A quick search shows that a lot of people have the same issues I do (including Cal just deciding to wall run the opposite way I was moving which is super "fun"). It's not like it's session-specific, or even patch specific, as I've played across 2 patches now and usually in 1-2 hours bursts. It's on every planet too so I don't think it's performance based but it could be something tied to that (although I have most of my settings turned down to medium/high to get a stable 40ish fps with my... 4090... sigh)
I use DLSS FG mod.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm going with bard. I like passing skill/dialogue choices, and there is no bard companion so I'll feel unique. Bard's also get a lot of goofy dialogue options, which can be fun.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I should be able to finish up RE4R today or tommorrow, but since Im gonna go traverling next week and I will be back the day before BG3 is out, Im not gonna start a new game to play, rather just continue some of those "never-ending" games I have installed like Stardew and Oxygen Not Included.

Can't handle the thought of starting something new, then travelling knowing BG3 is coming out when Im not done with the game I just started on.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
Anyone have problems with the Steam overlay recently? It happened to me today that upon opening the overlay, Steam started crashing and then restarting and random UI elements popping up; in the end I had to kill the process and restart Steam; which had then logged me out. Upon restart, the Library showed only "Tools" ticked.

This happened twice with different games (once in offline mode, once in online mode). Then it happened simply upon starting the game. I sent a Support ticket but its really strange. I checked security stuff and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary there (but Im also extremely paranoid regarding account security)

So my guess is it must have been a bug in the Steam Linux Runtime? I havent checked on the Steam Deck yet, only on desktop linux, but wanted to check if anyone else had problems. In case its indeed Linux-specific, I know Gamall Wednesday Ida plays on Linux as well – did you notice anything?
Hi,

I just tested the overlay in Steelrising (which I'm playing and enjoying, btw), and had no problem whatsoever.

Windows XP-level of technical support: have you rebooted the computer ? :LOL: (You're welcome for this very helpful insight).

edit: also tested in Horizon ZD, where everything is fine --- I can't even reproduce the problems I had the few last times I played, so something has been fixed. And yes, I tested the overlay specifically. It's fine.

Can't launch AOE2DE, but that's a new problem specific to that game: https://www.protondb.com/app/813780. I think that's enough testing to assert with some confidence that it's your system or Steam install that's borked, somehow.

We're both Arch-based, I think? Aren't you on Manjaro? If so, they do weird things with updates compared to Arch, so maybe check there as well ?

Note: my system is up-to-date as of yesterday evening; there is no relevant package in need of update at this point.

Reason: other tests
Last edited:

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
Now that the deal seems inevitable, thing I'm really bummed about is how poorly regulators argued against it, and what that signals for the state of the industry today, not the hypothetical maybe cloud dominated future or laughable MS monopoly future scenario that they came up with. Today.

Not only did they show a complete lack of understanding of the industry, they really fumbled arguing through the point of view of the consumer:
  1. How do aggressive exclusivity deals across all platforms harm customers?
  2. The small choice of platform and IP holders make it so that they can pretty much soft-collude with big third parties to raise the retail price of games across the board, despite all sorts of additives they've come up with over the years to keep pricing frozen: everything from battle passes, to $20+ cosmetics, all sized DLCs and, always online requirements and subscriptions in full priced games.
  3. Platform holders raising hardware prices mid-gen as well, once the game catalogue is more established and desirability has increased, raising the barrier of entry, or basically trying to upsell holdouts thus creating big fomo for the new mid-gen cycle (pro versions, etc.) to push for early adoption, lest you are priced out of it.

Of course, acknowledging that some or all of these are problems meant that not only do you have to challenge the acquisition, you have to argue in the first place that the overwhelming market leader ie. Sony, is already partaking in all of these, and how could you do that when all your talking points come from the theory that they are the ones being harmed, and not consumers.

Even things like "free tiers" or low barrier of entry services are incentivized to gouge customers piece meal to committed spending beyond what a full price game would cost. Another avenue to scrutinize the effect of F2P, lootboxes, and subscriptions in a future where gamepass gets stronger was right there, how tiered services like PS+ are being restructured, or paid for content like Destiny expansions is being wholesale taken off people's hands, and if any of that could be cause for concern?

But of course, that would require taking a serious look at current business practices, which might fall outside of this deal. Just another marker of how asleep at the wheel regulators have been all along, and how unlikely it is to get better.
I don't think that regulators did such a bad job, they have to follow the law and the law allows or even favors many things that we know are anti consumer. Exclusivity deals are a prime example. They are very clearly bad for customers because they are aimed at limiting their options, yet neither regulators nor judges give them a second thought because 'competition'. This isn't going to change any time soon, content exclusivity is a core pillar of all media industries and many others. Nobody in the gaming industry actually wants it to change because they all dream of a big payout from an exclusivity deal or a buyout.

That said, we are not powerless. Despite everyone in the games industry trying to gaslight people that the model customer is the one that doesn't react to anything and just buys whatever companies want wherever companies want, the truth is that they have to come to us. Not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.