Community MetaSteam | July 2023 - This one will turn you into a furry

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Hi,

I just tested the overlay in Steelrising (which I'm playing and enjoying, btw), and had no problem whatsoever.

Windows XP-level of technical support: have you rebooted the computer ? :LOL: (You're welcome for this very helpful insight).

edit: also tested in Horizon ZD, where everything is fine --- I can't even reproduce the problems I had the few last times I played, so something has been fixed. And yes, I tested the overlay specifically. It's fine.

Can't launch AOE2DE, but that's a new problem specific to that game: https://www.protondb.com/app/813780. I think that's enough testing to assert with some confidence that it's your system or Steam install that's borked, somehow.

We're both Arch-based, I think? Aren't you on Manjaro? If so, they do weird things with updates compared to Arch, so maybe check there as well ?

Note: my system is up-to-date as of yesterday evening; there is no relevant package in need of update at this point.
I am on Manjaro, yes. Also fully updated. There were some issues with the latest updates (mostly just databases not syching with the GUI update tool, so I updated via command line), but otherwise no issues.

Im trying next to just reinstall Steam, although it seems upon deinstallation Steam just left all its files on the drive.....weird.

So now I am also guessing the Steam install itself might have a problem – or maybe its just a very niche issue? It only started in offline mode, but then it happened in online mode as well; and then just by opening the game.

(and I have rebooted, yep ^^ )

thank you for testing, I hope that reinstalling will help, or that Steam support can do something with the info (and a video I recorded with my phone of Steam going nuts). Worst case scenario I might pester Plagman or Lawrence on Twitter :p

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
it seems upon deinstallation Steam just left all its files on the drive.....weird.
That would not surprise me; the steam Arch package is less than 4 MB! It's just a downloader.

Steam self-installs and auto-updates completely independently of your package manager apart from the 4MB bootstrap, so it's not surprising that removing it via the package manager leaves most things in place.

I suppose they could have written hooks for uninstallation, but apparently not. And it's probably prudence on their part; putting rm -rf in any hook is not a thing to be done lightly.

a video I recorded with my phone
... good, then you can print it on a wooden table frame by frame and scan...

I'm poking fun, but seriously, you may want to consider using something like OBS to record videos directly on the computer; it's dead easy to install (it's in Arch repos) and fairly simple to use.

or that Steam support can do something with the info
Possible, but I'm pressing X to doubt. It really sounds like something weird in your system, specifically.

If purging steam (manually), along with its installed runtimes and proton versions, then reinstalling does not help, nor does downgrading graphics drivers, your best bet would certainly be Manjaro's forums. The EndeavourOS forums are also friendly to all Arch-flavours. Even with specific friends to pester, it's probably a good idea to have a dedicated problem-solving thread somewhere sane (ie not Twitter) and with more eyes on it.

If you do post a thread in any such place, please kindly post a link here :)

• Hug
Reactions: LEANIJA

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I use DLSS FG mod.
I don't really want to pay for a mod that makes compromises I shouldn't need to make in the first place. I can even run other recent EA games at 4k max settings without DLSS or anything like that (NFS: Underground, for example). I just played through Everspace 2 on max everything and the textures there IMO look better than Survivor and the game didn't drop below 60fps a single time that I could tell.

The game is still just a mess for a lot of people. I took a chance on being able to just hardware-overpower the game buying a cheap key from someone who didn't want their hardware code but the problems absolutely were not apparent in the first 2 hours anyway, if anything the first planet runs the best out of anywhere for me (which I've heard is not the case for others).

I guess it's nice that people who really want a work around for the shitty optimization can buy a work around but even if it were a free mod I would maybe use it to get through the last 30 minutes or so of the story I have left and then just wait on the exploration until / if they ever patch the game proper.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Now seeing all the Microsoft Vs FTC debacle do you guys think that Jim Ryan could lose his position as head of PlayStation? And if that happens, do you guys think the new President would stop bringing their exclusives to PC? I know that it would depend on who would be the new head of PlayStation, but I wanted to know what your guy's opinion lol .

• Shrug
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I know it's not exactly a demanding game but a quality port like Trails from Zero feels like such a treat after a technical trash fire like Stranger of Paradise. Also, it's been like 5 years since I last played a Trails game because I refused to continue on to CSIII until I could play the Crossbell games (jesus, has it really been this long?!) and goddamn I missed this series. I spent all week-end glued to the game and I couldn't wait for work to end today so that I could get right back to it. The game is great so far but really just being back in this world makes me so happy. :steam_pigblanket:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Now seeing all the Microsoft Vs FTC debacle do you guys think that Jim Ryan could lose his position as head of PlayStation? And if that happens, do you guys think the new President would stop bringing their exclusives to PC? I know that it would depend on who would be the new head of PlayStation, but I wanted to know what your guy's opinion lol .
No. Sony is still crushing Xbox.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The thing that will most likely sack him is the GaaS initiative he put in place. If those games and all the money/time they are about to invest in that shit plan doesn't pan out then he is gone for sure. But it won't happen for another 3-4 years and by then I think they'd be insane to stop putting games on PC. I expect PC gaming to grow a lot over the next half decade so they would need to replace him with a real clown to stop supporting PC.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
That would not surprise me; the steam Arch package is less than 4 MB! It's just a downloader.

Steam self-installs and auto-updates completely independently of your package manager apart from the 4MB bootstrap, so it's not surprising that removing it via the package manager leaves most things in place.

I suppose they could have written hooks for uninstallation, but apparently not. And it's probably prudence on their part; putting rm -rf in any hook is not a thing to be done lightly.
yeah tbh I wasnt fully aware of that. and its because Manjaro and Steam made it super easy to install and then just use it without worrying too much about whats going in in the background :)

... good, then you can print it on a wooden table frame by frame and scan...

I'm poking fun, but seriously, you may want to consider using something like OBS to record videos directly on the computer; it's dead easy to install (it's in Arch repos) and fairly simple to use.
hahaha yes I know what you mean – and I do have OBS installed – but in this case I just wanted to be fast to catch some of whats happening and then also be sure to close everything down because it seriously looks like its opening random shit and doing godknowswhat, I didnt want it to run haywire for long while I wouldve set up OBS... but yes, I know phone camera footage isnt great; even tho I have a pretty good one.

Possible, but I'm pressing X to doubt. It really sounds like something weird in your system, specifically.

If purging steam (manually), along with its installed runtimes and proton versions, then reinstalling does not help, nor does downgrading graphics drivers, your best bet would certainly be Manjaro's forums. The EndeavourOS forums are also friendly to all Arch-flavours. Even with specific friends to pester, it's probably a good idea to have a dedicated problem-solving thread somewhere sane (ie not Twitter) and with more eyes on it.

If you do post a thread in any such place, please kindly post a link here :)
aye, true! I looked through the Manjaro forums if people have similar issues but usually when people do have Steam issues, its Steam not starting.
The two people I mentioned work for Valve, so it'd be more of a "hey dev, I found this glitch" rather than pestering friends ;)

anyways, thanks for your insights, much appreciated =)

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
He deserves to lose his job for a lot of reasons but failing to stop world governments from doing what they've been designed to do in the last ~50 years, letting corporations gain grotesque amounts of power and wealth, shouldn't be his fault. If anything he did a good job stalling it as long as he did, many people were so adamant that this deal would pass with little to even no issue at all when it was first announced. Instead he made them suffer for nearly 2 years and in that 2 years xbox struggled so badly even their own fanboys were begging for MS to stop this so they would actually show some games and stop with the "we're so pathetic we need all the help" act they were putting on for the regulators.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Hektor

How much were tickets last time?

I'm willing to drop as much as $300 if the tickets are for somewhere near the front.

I'm going to the one in LA.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Historical low

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
He deserves to lose his job for a lot of reasons but failing to stop world governments from doing what they've been designed to do in the last ~50 years, letting corporations gain grotesque amounts of power and wealth, shouldn't be his fault. If anything he did a good job stalling it as long as he did, many people were so adamant that this deal would pass with little to even no issue at all when it was first announced. Instead he made them suffer for nearly 2 years and in that 2 years xbox struggled so badly even their own fanboys were begging for MS to stop this so they would actually show some games and stop with the "we're so pathetic we need all the help" act they were putting on for the regulators.
Jim only had to do something with stalling if he went to the regulators and make them not do anything for year and a half. That's the main reason why MS had to wait this much. FTC did nothing for year and a half and then tried to block it. CMA was bit more organized and did things earlier but in the and based their decision on stupid reason not related to actual console business. And Jim did fumble because he is part of the huge corporation and he had access to lawyers that could tell him what odds are of FTC or CMA actually managing to block this merger. Sony lost better deal because Jim asked too much at first and then refused any deal up until FTC lost.

And in general I would say that Jim and Sony are still sticking to their old way of running business by sticking to the same PlayStation crowd with minimal expansion. They are selling consoles and games to same userbase for the past 3 generations.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I arrred Dead Island 2 yesterday. Started off with a great, actually looks good and performs great, but the combat, Im not getting any hit feedback from enemies, it's like hitting plastic dolls with a rubber stick. Gonna have to check settings or somethings. It's so weird.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Now I have seen it all.

Devs (from small indies and AAAA pubs) moan on Twitter about a POSSIBLE backlash about the insane quality of Baldurs Gate 3 and how gamers will hold them to that standard and scope POSSIBLY.
And suddenly gamers are at fault for a hypothetical scenario that hasn't happened yet.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Now I have seen it all.

Devs (from small indies and AAAA pubs) moan on Twitter about a POSSIBLE backlash about the insane quality of Baldurs Gate 3 and how gamers will hold them to that standard and scope POSSIBLY.
And suddenly gamers are at fault for a hypothetical scenario that hasn't happened yet.
Stupid people manipulating other stupid people through social media is a tale as old as social media.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Jim only had to do something with stalling if he went to the regulators and make them not do anything for year and a half. That's the main reason why MS had to wait this much. FTC did nothing for year and a half and then tried to block it. CMA was bit more organized and did things earlier but in the and based their decision on stupid reason not related to actual console business. And Jim did fumble because he is part of the huge corporation and he had access to lawyers that could tell him what odds are of FTC or CMA actually managing to block this merger. Sony lost better deal because Jim asked too much at first and then refused any deal up until FTC lost.

And in general I would say that Jim and Sony are still sticking to their old way of running business by sticking to the same PlayStation crowd with minimal expansion. They are selling consoles and games to same userbase for the past 3 generations.
Not quite true with that last part. They said a while ago 30% of the ps5 base didn't have a ps4 and who knows what that number is at now this was said before the console was widely available. They largely stick to this model because it works, they're growing and selling more games every gen. Let's not forget that xbox changed gears because they were doing so badly they were about to get shut down by MS, they should not be looked at as the model of success going forward. Even now with their day 1 pc focus, gamepass and buying up so many devs they somehow are doing worse than ever in terms of selling games and hardware. They have fallen behind the xbox one's trajectory despite all the launch controversy that system had to deal with.

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
Now I have seen it all.

Devs whining like this just puts me off their games tbh

"This new game is great boohoo, now I can't just half arse my own game! Woe is me! Gamers bad! Fuck my customers"

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Out

Should also be out in 1-2 hours (ex EGSxclusive)

However due to BG3 and the magnitude of interesting games in my library, I might have to wait on them.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Now I have seen it all.

Was talking about this last night in discord and I think it's very strange that this is the game devs are nervous about. Like gamers being dumb online is nothing new they've surely said the same thing for any number of landmark titles in the last 10 years (elden ring, zelda, witcher 3 etc) but I never saw devs feel the need to come out and be so defensive with those. But I couldn't figure out any reason or connection why this was the game. I thought maybe it was crpg devs but outside of sawyer I don't think I saw anyone with a cprg history commenting.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Historical low
This gets me every darn time, lol.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Do I even dare running that RTX extravaganza shit on a 4070 ?

I vaguely recall an earlier comparable product (Portal 2 ?) that was famous for being a very pretty slide show.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I can’t even begin to express the eye rolling disdain I feel toward the subsection of self loathing people who treat ‘gamer’ as some sort of super dirty word.
It's not only self-loathing, but also a campaign to undermine consumer protection and even worker rights.
Any critique about games , the quality, etc. will be striked down by "typical GAMER that abuses the devs"

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Now I have seen it all.

Can you post those devs tweets so I can avoid their games/bought them on 90% off sales? Thx.

• Toucan
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Who in their right mind will judge games like 'An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs' (Nelson) or 'Spellforce 3' (Harwick) by the standard of Baldur's Gate 3 ? Go seek therapy, people. Your deep rooted fear and disdain for your customers has reached a new milestone.

I'm only surprised Mike Rose hasn't thrown his take. Maybe he is on vacation ?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I honestly don't think any of those tweets are particularly unusual or problematic. They are accurate. Like, what exactly is wrong with e.g. Sawyer's tweet?

I know it's not exactly a demanding game but a quality port like Trails from Zero feels like such a treat after a technical trash fire like Stranger of Paradise. Also, it's been like 5 years since I last played a Trails game because I refused to continue on to CSIII until I could play the Crossbell games (jesus, has it really been this long?!) and goddamn I missed this series. I spent all week-end glued to the game and I couldn't wait for work to end today so that I could get right back to it. The game is great so far but really just being back in this world makes me so happy. :steam_pigblanket:
I'm also currently playing Zero for the first time (actually playing the story for myself, not debugging).

It feels particularly good IMHO to play a Trails game again that focuses on a smaller, tight-knit cast of characters.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Now I have seen it all.

The devs are shooked

Standard about to be set

Reactions: Kyougar

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
It's not only self-loathing, but also a campaign to undermine consumer protection and even worker rights.
Any critique about games , the quality, etc. will be striked down by "typical GAMER that abuses the devs"
It's very much that.
It's all about putting the fault on players that developers are paid peanuts and have to do 800h of unpaid extra time every day for months.

Another aspect is that BG3 is a pure CRPG, and that's obviously a dead genre, not one that people should expect more of.
Because what really matters is all the AAA action slop and its indie equivalent of rogue-like-card-game-metroidvania-boomer-shooter, those uppity players should not get ideas and be interested in genres left to die for decades, hell, they might even want novel things soon!

Those complaints are only here to protect their bread and butter.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I honestly don't think any of those tweets are particularly unusual or problematic. They are accurate. Like, what exactly is wrong with e.g. Sawyer's tweet?
Because they are "moaning" about a hypothetical, nothing that actually happened.

Reactions: Li Kao

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
I know this isn't necessarily what is happening, but lets assume BG3 is amazing, then is it wrong for my future $60 CRPG purchases to be as good as that? Hell, even down to $50 I'll be comparing the games. If devs want to price their games at $60 then they're going to be compared to the best in that price range - nothing wrong with that.

The other issue that they seem to be moaning about is, even if your game's price is much lower than BG3, I'm still going to compare it to BG3 if it's the same genre - why would I not?

Making excuses doesn't help their position.

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
Status
Not open for further replies.