Community MetaSteam | July 2023 - This one will turn you into a furry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ah, mostly tongue in cheek, but I was referring to the news of that cop who shot the unarmed Algerian-descent kid.
Ah I figured you were joking. Still, I admit it felt a little harsh. Must be the combo of your comment and Hektor’s. Sorry to be a little of a downer. I :photoblobheart: you.

Regarding your point, maybe it speaks volume but it never crossed my mind you were talking about the cop. Feels icky to consider him a fellow anything :sweaty-blob:

PS. Super small detail but it annoyed me: when I said my fellow Frenchmen haven given up and are just waiting for death, this is my feeling of people mood these days, not a very bad reading of past history.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I was so disappointed with the Cold Steel arc that I'm still wondering if I should give Reverie a shot, but since it seems to focus heavily on continuing the Crossbell saga I'm gonna check it out.

Reactions: sanhora and Cacher

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I was so disappointed with the Cold Steel arc that I'm still wondering if I should give Reverie a shot, but since it seems to focus heavily on continuing the Crossbell saga I'm gonna check it out.
Seems like Reverie is pretty much Cold Steel 5, Crossbell 3 and a setup for the following games, but apparently the Crossbell part is the weakest part of the game? While not perfect, heard that Reverie is a better game than Cold Steel 4 at least.
I'm hearing alot of positive things about the 2 games after Reverie though.

Can't give my own opinions about any of the games after the Sky trilogy though, Sky 3rd is still the last game I played. (I need more free time D: )

Reactions: QFNS and Dragon1893

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I actually ended up liking the arc overall. The greatest weakness is the overly huge cast of Class VII. I think if the game are at their best when Falcom can focus on a smaller group and their interactions. With like 15 characters across old and new Class VII, there's just way to much things to cover to let any one of them really shine.
I think splitting the games over 4 games is similarly a bad idea, and I think having only three games would have been smarter. With a smaller cast, you could have merged CS1 and C2 easily, have a CS III that's a bit shorter and then got for a much tighter third game to finish it all.

But ultimately, it's still a Trails game and the formula that Falcom has by know "just works". At least for me. Admittedly, there's also lots of problematic stuff, like the harem elements, and Falcom's "funny" use of sexual harrasment when it is done by women on other women characters. Har har har, Kondo, what a great joke, just had to repeat it in both Crossbell and Cold Steel arcs.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
In my case, I don't really like how Osborne's true motive was handled. After the build-up we got from Star Door VIII in Sky 3rd, the political finesse in handling "The Crossbell Problem" and the expansionist policy in North Ambria, the "supernatural" cause of it left me wanting.

On the other hand, I actually didn't mind most of the slice-of-life things in CS IV, and seeing how the way of life in Erebonia changes first-hand by talking to various NPCs was a good way of world-building.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
I actually ended up liking the arc overall. The greatest weakness is the overly huge cast of Class VII. I think if the game are at their best when Falcom can focus on a smaller group and their interactions. With like 15 characters across old and new Class VII, there's just way to much things to cover to let any one of them really shine.
I think splitting the games over 4 games is similarly a bad idea, and I think having only three games would have been smarter. With a smaller cast, you could have merged CS1 and C2 easily, have a CS III that's a bit shorter and then got for a much tighter third game to finish it all.

But ultimately, it's still a Trails game and the formula that Falcom has by know "just works". At least for me. Admittedly, there's also lots of problematic stuff, like the harem elements, and Falcom's "funny" use of sexual harrasment when it is done by women on other women characters. Har har har, Kondo, what a great joke, just had to repeat it in both Crossbell and Cold Steel arcs.
they definitely made a mistake having as many characters as they did in the first Cold Steel game, fortunately it seems like they at least realize that with the new Class VII as well as the Kuro cast being much smaller(from what I understand, I don't actually know much of anything about Kuro but I think it had about the same size main cast as the new group in Cold Steel 3?)

and 4 games is also just....a lot for an arc especially when the games are like a hundred hours long, I burned out pretty hard on Cold Steel 4 despite mostly enjoying the Cold Steel games overall(if not quite as much as the Sky and Crossbell ones) mostly because it was just too much

Reactions: QFNS

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Reverie is a pretty good come back to form and fixes a lot of issues CS had, even if not completely (if you pretend Lloyd’s route doesn’t exist then almost completely). It also does some really cool stuff with its structure and new cast is a breath of fresh air.

One thing I was really disappointed with though, especially after all these Sky the 3rd comparisons, were the side stories. Except for the post launch ones, they don’t really drop anything new and interesting lorewise (certainly doesn’t help that all the 1.0 episodes take place between CS4 and Hajimari).

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019

Yeah, the bloated cast is definitely one of the biggest issues.

Reverie is a pretty good come back to form and fixes a lot of issues CS had, even if not completely (if you pretend Lloyd’s route doesn’t exist then almost completely). It also does some really cool stuff with its structure and new cast is a breath of fresh air.

One thing I was really disappointed with though, especially after all these Sky the 3rd comparisons, were the side stories. Except for the post launch ones, they don’t really drop anything new and interesting lorewise (certainly doesn’t help that all the 1.0 episodes take place between CS4 and Hajimari).
So Loyd's part is the worst? Well, that sucks.

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
So Loyd's part is the worst? Well, that sucks.
Crossbell is the best, imo.

I don't like Trails keep using the trope of secret identity. Many people around you are either a spy or from some special force. The first time they use this twist in Sky FC is shocking, but the second or the third time? "Yeah man I knew it already".

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Crossbell is the best, imo.

I don't like Trails keep using the trope of secret identity. Many people around you are either a spy or from some special force. The first time they use this twist in Sky FC is shocking, but the second or the third time? "Yeah man I knew it already".
What about fighting a bad guy only for him to reveal that he wasn't using his FULL POWER and then a familiar character steps in right on queue to save you?
Happens several times in every single one of those games. I went into every boss fight in CS4 expecting it to happen and most times it did. Shit's ridiculous.

• Toucan
  • This!
Reactions: Shantom and Durante

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
What about fighting a bad guy only for him to reveal that he wasn't using his FULL POWER and then a familiar character steps in right on queue to save you?
Happens several times in every single one of those games. I went into every boss fight in CS4 expecting it to happen and most times it did. Shit's ridiculous.
Yeah, this one as well. You are basically describing the last dungeon of CS2.

These two are probably the reasons why I still haven't played CS3 onwards. I heard great things of Reverie and Kuro 1 though, so I will still get back to the series in the future.

Dec 5, 2018
Don't you like knowing that at least one character with a (dialog) portrait will eventually betray you and/or reveal a plot twist.
:evilblob:

• Comfy
  • Evil
Reactions: Kvik and Cacher

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
This is really funny in Cold Steel. It really feels like it happens every other boss fight.
That said, when it's Estelle showing up, I can appreciate that :p

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Can someone help me to understand something? So people are cheering and creating accounts on Threads as middle finger to billionaire a-hole even though Threads is owned and run by another billionaire who is potentially even bigger a-hole? And on top of that Threads can't even be launched in EU because their data collection is so bad that it is questionable that it will ever launch in EU.

Dec 5, 2018
Can someone help me to understand something? So people are cheering and creating accounts on Threads as middle finger to billionaire a-hole even though Threads is owned and run by another billionaire who is potentially even bigger a-hole? And on top of that Threads can't even be launched in EU because their data collection is so bad that it is questionable that it will ever launch in EU.
Billionaire that people hate (but knows how to run his business) is seen as a better option than billionaire who doesn't know how to run his business and is hated more by the people who cheer the other billionaire. Human nature, basically.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, Falcom loves this trope, though I did like the fact that in the final dungeon, it was just Class VII (old and new) and no one came to your help despite taking on some of the most powerful people in the world, like McBurn. It's not until you fight the big mega-demon that a few of Erebonia's best fighters join and fight by your side (and I don't mind there as you are basically fighting a demi-god at that point).
In my case, I don't really like how Osborne's true motive was handled. After the build-up we got from Star Door VIII in Sky 3rd, the political finesse in handling "The Crossbell Problem" and the expansionist policy in North Ambria, the "supernatural" cause of it left me wanting.
I generally don't like the curse as a plot point, as it reduces the human problems behind war, imperalism and all that stuff to just magic. Like, what's the message that Falcom wants to give us? That nationalism and all its problems is just caused by larger forces and surely is not the fault of the individual? Garbage. (CS 4 spoilers)

• Comfy
Reactions: Dragon1893 and Kvik

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
You can simply switch to the true Seal Paradise:

It will have to do.
:steam_cleanseal:

Still, I hope the seal paradise will at some point get on some misskey instance, since it seems to be the popular fedi platform in Japan.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
They want Twitter without the enshittification.

The thing is, enshittification is a thing that has happened to all of Meta's platforms thusfar and it's probably gonna happen to Threads too.

The difference between Zuck and Musk is Zuck understands how to boil a frog, whereas Musk just approaches everything he manages with a flamethrower.

If Meta can make Threads work in the fediverse with an ad supported model and they just let it do its thing while they skim ad revenue off the top, then I consider that a good thing, but who knows what bullshit they'll start to pull to hurt compatibility with Mastodon and other federated social platforms. Ultimately though the jury's still out on that and regardless of what they do, they're gonna do it, so as always with these corps, positive moves should be encouraged and negative ones condemned.

• Shrug
Reactions: spiel

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I finished Final Fantasy XVI. Despite its flaws (and good lord there are many flaws), I kind of loved it. It has some of the strongest character writing in the series and may be my favorite cast alongside VI. Claims that the story falls apart are unfounded IMO and the ending is very satisfying. Additionally, the set pieces are some of the most impressive I've seen in a video game.

The major downside is that the combat and RPG elements are disappointingly shallow. I am perfectly fine with the game playing as a wannabe Devil May Cry, but the cost of stripping nearly all RPG elements to play as a watered down Nero isn't worth it. If SE had made itemization more important and combat more in depth then it would have been something special. Additionally the side quests are all pretty boring, but some of them do have nice side stories.

At the end of the day it is the best non-MMO Final Fantasy game in over 20 years and would likely make my series top 5. I'd say play it when it comes to PC in 2024 (or 2025 if it has to escape a marketing black hole first).

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I find Musk somewhat irrational at times, but I will take him over Zuckerberg any day. You will not see me on Threads (not that you could anyway since I am in Europe).

Plus, seeings its name always associates this movie for me and I don't need that (it is one of the best movies I have ever seen, but I never want to see it again)

• Eyes
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Alot of people just want something that has the content they want to follow and something that is kinda like pre-Elmo's twitter, no matter who owns it.
With how big instagram is and threads sharing login with instagram, that makes the transition easier for alot of people than with a fresh new platform.

About EU, instagram has the same data collection has threads and it's available in the EU, so I think it's just a matter of time.

Personally, even if it was available here, I'll only consider using it once it at the very least gets features like chronological timeline and a twitter lists like feature (lists allow an user to group up their followers into different categories/lists). And, of course, it also needs to gain enough traction so the content I follow moves there.

Though, if it'll be possible to follow threads users through mastodon once threads adds fediverse support, I'll probably try mastodon instead of threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS and yuraya

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
I loved the CS games, looking forward to playing the crossbell duology, replaying cs3+4 and then jump into reverie

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Mmh, upgrading an old HD to a 2To SSD and gain 1To. And buying an 1To external SSD for backup. Not cheap but affordably discounted.
Then again when I thing about having a neatly ordered PC I invariably think about why not using a NAS, and things escalate far too fast :sweaty-blob:

I need moar space on the PC, but that's optional, I can uninstall things too.
I need to find a way to backup two big calibre libraries and administrative shit over 2 PC (CAPITAL).
I would not hate to be able to connect to a PC or a NAS or anything as a multmedia server.

Oh yeah, having a separate hardware as a server would nuke the HDDs out of my machine, please let me fap while I imagine not having to wait for some random HDD to wake up when I do the littlest thing.

I would also very much like for the answer to not be let's burn hundred of euros.

• Sweating
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I would also very much like for the answer to not be let's burn hundred of euros.
Old computers work well as a NAS.

I've got an old PC seeing out its retirement years as my Plex and services-I-won't-sub-to download server. It's awesome!

Reactions: Li Kao

sanhora

Baldr Sky
Dec 7, 2018

joewari da

Also obligatory I'm really looking forward to Reverie despite being quite disappointed in Cold Steel overall.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Old computers work well as a NAS.

I've got an old PC seeing out its retirement years as my Plex and services-I-won't-sub-to download server. It's awesome!
Mmh. The only old PC in working condition is the second one I gave to my mom. I'm not 100% she doesn't click on things she shouldn't.
Thinking about it, I think I just instinctively don't have confidence in old hardware. Maybe I'm really dumb.

How costly could it be to build a new PC just for that ? Ah, but I would need a monitor :thinking-blob:

This all started with an external SSD for backup ffs.

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! TioChuck is giving away 1 gift(s).

This giveaway is a raffle and will be closed after Jul 6, 2023 at 9:04 PM. A winner is chosen randomly with the key delivered via a PM.

It's a Humble Gift Link :shrugblob:

The raffle has ended.

The following games are being given away:

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Serious question about Ys: Memories of Celceta - did everybody played with HDR setting on or off? You know, HDR from Oblivion/HL2:Lost Coast era, not some OLED HDR :blobrigged:
Without HDR Ys game looks kinda drab (like PS4 version), with HDR on (default intensity) - bloom overkill (maybe i should try to lower hdr intensity settings..)

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Serious question about Ys: Memories of Celceta - did everybody played with HDR setting on or off? You know, HDR from Oblivion/HL2:Lost Coast era, not some OLED HDR :blobrigged:
Without HDR Ys game looks kinda drab (like PS4 version), with HDR on (default intensity) - bloom overkill (maybe i should try to lower hdr intensity settings..)
I played it with HDR on. I think it kinda works as it gives the game a kind of magical look, but it is pretty overdone, yeah.

• Hug
Reactions: KainXVIII
Status
Not open for further replies.