Community MetaSteam | July 2024 - Summer arrived to Dawntrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

YunoLumi

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
I'm on 22 of 24, on my 3rd day of farming for Ultimate Bunny Code, shit is painful.
Definetly Warframe level of grind.
They fixed the slot maketh achievement but idk who i want to put the catalysts on. (i dont want to waste them on char i dont plan to use)
i got 3 of the 10 needed.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
How many of you use guides for "complex" games?
Heavily following a FAQ, never. I left that shit in the PS2 days.
Basing myself on guides about how to unlock 'true' endings ? Always. My first google search when I plan to play a JRPG or the likes is 'insert title how many endings ?'

Reactions: MegaApple

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
Can't wait for US elections to be over. Social media around their elections is unbearable and for the rest of us it basically doesn't matter who wins because some part of the world will be f-ed no matter who wins.
Social media is much like steam algorithm, it'll show you what you engage with (or your followed people engage with).

On twitter I literally only follow gaming news media and artists and I see nothing else since I'm always in the "Following" tab and never in the "For you" tab, the latter very rarely shows anything different from my main interest because I aggressively block everything else, so I'm always in my own little bubble and see nothing else.
On FB I have blocked everything I don't wanna see and followed lots of stuff I wanna see about, again, I'm in my own little bubble.
I can keep going, but the point is, don't engage with that stuff you don't wanna see, either directly or not.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
500 dollar keyboard, just why?
On a single board that's pricey, but when I consider how much I spend on bespoke boards and keycaps, it comes pretty darn close to that. And there absolutely are mechanical keyboards in group buys that go for that much. The mechanical keyboard hobby, like most hobbies, can get super expensive.
Though that really is not something that is targeting gaming. Those boards look nothing like weird ASUS thing, but instead go for more more artsy, industrial looks.

As a random, recent example:

This went for 530 Euros, Derivative R1 Keyboard Kit
(already sold out, since these are produced at very small numbers, which explains the price: you pay for the fact that it's very much not a mass market product)

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
How many of you use guides for "complex" games?
Didn't watch the video so not sure what complex is in the context.
But typically I don't use guides.
If I end up doing a second playthrough of a game that has missable quests or whatever, then I'll peek at a guide every now and then. And also if the quests aren't missable and can be done even at the very end, I probably do that there rather than on a second playthrough.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Regarding guides, one of my best gaming experiences in years was Rain World, and I think it would have lost much of its impact if I had read anything about it before -- even just minor gameplay points and mechanics, never mind fully following a guide. Of course that is an extreme case, since the greatest strength of the game is in how satisfying it is to learn more about the everything: the world, the ecosystems, and even your own abilities.

I have to write a review for it at some point.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Regarding guides, one of my best gaming experiences in years was Rain World, and I think it would have lost much of its impact if I had read anything about it before -- even just minor gameplay points and mechanics, never mind fully following a guide. Of course that is an extreme case, since the greatest strength of the game is in how satisfying it is to learn more about the everything: the world, the ecosystems, and even your own abilities.

I have to write a review for it at some point.
Just curious, did you play Animal Well yet?

Morten88

Aug 8, 2021
Been playing alot of Norland and as a big Rimworld fan, i gotts say i love it so far. You can tell its an early access game, but game got alot of potential.

• Gib
Reactions: lashman

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
On a single board that's pricey, but when I consider how much I spend on bespoke boards and keycaps, it comes pretty darn close to that. And there absolutely are mechanical keyboards in group buys that go for that much. The mechanical keyboard hobby, like most hobbies, can get super expensive.
Though that really is not something that is targeting gaming. Those boards look nothing like weird ASUS thing, but instead go for more more artsy, industrial looks.

As a random, recent example:

This went for 530 Euros, Derivative R1 Keyboard Kit
(already sold out, since these are produced at very small numbers, which explains the price: you pay for the fact that it's very much not a mass market product)
That looks like an art piece and not something that screams OMG GAMERZ. The fact that the Asus thing has some flaws is just the icing on the cake.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Depending on the genre. Most of the time before starting a game, I always read a guide to see if there's any missables.

Exceptions would be huge WRPG like Fallout or Elder Scroll. Missing some content is part of the experience.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I don't like to use guides or lookup sensitive information as a general rule. It's always more rewarding for me to discover it on my own. I'd rather miss things or go down an unfavorable path even because doing otherwise ruins the in-the-moment stakes about your actions. A lot of the same reasons for why I believe save-scumming ruins the in-the-moment experience.

Of course there it's not a concern for me to lookup just about anything if I'm playing DotA 2 for instance.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
sad to say but everything about this screamed bomb, especially once there was a slight "Brutal Legends" moment around it
Social media is much like steam algorithm, it'll show you what you engage with (or your followed people engage with).

On twitter I literally only follow gaming news media and artists and I see nothing else since I'm always in the "Following" tab and never in the "For you" tab, the latter very rarely shows anything different from my main interest because I aggressively block everything else, so I'm always in my own little bubble and see nothing else.
On FB I have blocked everything I don't wanna see and followed lots of stuff I wanna see about, again, I'm in my own little bubble.
I can keep going, but the point is, don't engage with that stuff you don't wanna see, either directly or not.

I wish life was that simple but I'd image that humans almost by nature don't follow just simple steps like that. Which is why Twitter is a cesspool. Yeah it's bad but you want more of it. It's getting mad that drives more of a response from people than actual "good things".

Look at console wars as just 1 example. Do people genuinely care? No but they still dule it out since it gives them a thrill. If there no longer was an Xbox or

Look at sports, they are toxic as hell!!!!! People get into fights over them people even die over them but it's still the thrill. I don't condone violence at these events. I'm just saying that now for legal reasons.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Any game that has a lot of items in it and/or an extensive inventory system pretty much pushes me to use guides. So basically rpgs/crpgs/jrpgs and occasionally ea/survival games. A lot of times guides are just needed especially with recipes/crafting and other busy mechanics like that.

Souls games are definitely my most used games with guides. Especially once you push to get all achievements in these games....yea lol. Getting alternate endings. Like one of those Dark Souls 3 endings. It would literally be impossible to achieve it without looking up 15 step guides because you can so easily fail steps and not get that specific ending.

If you don't use wiki type guides you still use Youtube for visual guides. A lot of the older stuff is like that. Popular stuff like Skyrim and that era of games is perfect for the quick youtube guides since that content is timeless.

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
I was not feeling Ys IX at all, but I unlocked a second character and the movement changed a lot. Now I'm kind of excited to unlock more characters and get their moves and shit.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The note function in Steam has quickly become one of my most used features, that I can pin text and pics with transparent look into the game while Im playing it is fantastic.
Agreed. Make heavy use of it in Trails through daybreak to keep track of the plot and my speculations about things. Having that right there in the game and synced to all devices is just neat

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm only using a guide when I'm really stuck in a game. I don't like spoilers and I don't care about collectables in a game.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I often use guides for visual novels with tons of choices and endings, especially if they are long and have a specific way to get to the true end.

Some VNs make it easy to jump back to each choice, see decision trees, auto skip previously read, or such. Those I am less likely to consult a guide.

Reactions: QFNS and Ascheroth

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
Which is why Twitter is a cesspool. Yeah it's bad but you want more of it. It's getting mad that drives more of a response from people than actual "good things".
Yours is bad, mine is filled with Raikou, Ibuki-douji and Honkai star rail stuff.

• Disapproval
Reactions: PC-tan

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I really don't agree with this. I'm obviously not from the US, and if they really want to fuck themselves over then they are welcome to, but one of the candidates wants to defund the EPA and kill any environmental protections which get in the way of industry profiteering, and that sadly does affect all of us stuck on the same planet. Milquetoast centrist policy-making might not be supremely appealing on its own merit, but comparatively it's vastly preferable.
Does it matter what is being funded when that same administration sends 1000s of bombs to a country that then drops 1000s of those bombs each month? Or are they environmentally friendly bombs? And then how much production of those bombs and ammunition in general impacts environment?

Issue is that people I follow also talk about election.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
I used to follow guides in magazines way back when I was a teenager but I realised they made games more of a slog to play as I kept stopping and starting to refer back to what I should do next. These days I'm happy to just play through and if I miss stuff then so be it.

I'll only look up guides if I'm very lost as to how to progress or there's something specific I'm confused about.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I need some advice. I was looking at this bundle yesterday (I already own Workers and Resources): Save 40% on Hooded Horse City Builder on Steam

It didn't include Cataclismo then, and the price was $65 or something. A lot to spend, but that's a lot of games. I didn't buy right then, unfortunately. Later, they added Cataclismo, and the price went up to $90-something. A definite no. Now, the price is down to $88. Is this a sign to bite? Or is it a sign to always wait for bigger sales??

Status
Not open for further replies.